Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
If you don't want kids you're selfish

So says Pope Francis. Dude- SHUT UP. (No, we're not talking about religion here, just the asinine comments of this man and many people in general.) 

Link

“Today we see a form of selfishness,” the Pope said, according to Fox News. “We see that some people do not want to have a child. Sometimes they have one, and that’s it, but they have . . . dogs and cats that take the place of children.”

“It is a risk, yes: having a child is always a risk, either naturally or by adoption,” the Argentina-born leader said. “But it is riskier not to have them. It is riskier to deny fatherhood, or to deny motherhood, be it real or spiritual.”

He went on to suggest that there might be something wrong with people who have chosen not to have children.

“A man or woman who do not develop the sense of fatherhood or motherhood, they are lacking something, something fundamental, something important.”

Oh. My. Word. This kind of thing grinds my gears. There is not one damn thing wrong with people who do not want children. I am not lacking anything other than maternal instinct or the desire to have/raise kids. It's not risky that I don't have kids. I am not selfish for not wanting to reproduce. I am 100% not parent material and I know it. I've known it since I was a kid. My brother and sister-in-law are the same. They use protection to not get pregnant but if they did end up in the family way they would accept it; but they have no active interest in having kids. 

No one should be told something is "fundamentally wrong" with them because they don't want kids. It's nobody's damn business why folks choose to have them, or not. Dolly Parton, Jennifer Anniston and Betty White are three famous women of three different generations who chose to not have children. What, pray tell, is "fundamentally wrong" with them? 

Man this chaps my hide.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

It's better not to have a child than to have one that will grow up in poverty or even worse, an abusive household.......
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

For the longest time I didn’t want kids because 1. I felt we didn’t earn enough (2) I never really liked kids and (3) I didn’t want to be tied down. One day I…uh… pulled the trigger, wink wink. So glad I did. I can honestly say she has changed my life for the better. Now, I can’t imagine not having at least one. Heck, if I wasn’t “too old” I’d like another one. I would not be opposed to adopting, but I have my reservations about that.

A man who made a life choice to give up having children is calling out other people for doing the same thing?  Rolleyes
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(01-05-2022, 09:00 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: A man who made a life choice to give up having children is calling out other people for doing the same thing?  Rolleyes

He's saying if he could do this he would be having kids. Ya know?

[Image: rs_485x312-130405143455-BL_gif.gif?fit=a...center,top]

(01-05-2022, 09:06 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-05-2022, 09:00 PM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: A man who made a life choice to give up having children is calling out other people for doing the same thing?  Rolleyes

He's saying if he could do this he would be having kids. Ya know?

[Image: rs_485x312-130405143455-BL_gif.gif?fit=a...center,top]

Be fruitful and multiply, yet he can’t.  Perhaps he should read more in that book.  Pretty sure he won’t go to hell if he had married a woman and had a few.  But I don’t want to get religious.  

Years ago I had to do community service for a crime I didn’t commit.  I chose to work for a church after hours of manual labor at  lil Talbot island.  (They’ve got some ruins or something that was eroded and I shoveled by hand a couple dump truck loads of oyster shells to keep the ruins from ruing more or something. Go have a look. I did a bang up job. Anyways..I was suspect of myself for smoking and wanted to quit.  The youth pastor said to me and I won’t forget, “do you think he’s gonna send you to he’ll because you smoke cigarettes”?  Then it made more sense, lol.

There are some genes that just shouldn't reproduce.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Exactly!

I never understood how that choice could be described as selfish. Selfish to whom? Having kids you didn't want to please someone else is in no way a good idea.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2022, 11:45 AM by Mikey.)

(01-05-2022, 05:15 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: So says Pope Francis. Dude- SHUT UP. (No, we're not talking about religion here, just the asinine comments of this man and many people in general.) 

Link

“Today we see a form of selfishness,” the Pope said, according to Fox News. “We see that some people do not want to have a child. Sometimes they have one, and that’s it, but they have . . . dogs and cats that take the place of children.”

“It is a risk, yes: having a child is always a risk, either naturally or by adoption,” the Argentina-born leader said. “But it is riskier not to have them. It is riskier to deny fatherhood, or to deny motherhood, be it real or spiritual.”

He went on to suggest that there might be something wrong with people who have chosen not to have children.

“A man or woman who do not develop the sense of fatherhood or motherhood, they are lacking something, something fundamental, something important.”

Oh. My. Word. This kind of thing grinds my gears. There is not one damn thing wrong with people who do not want children. I am not lacking anything other than maternal instinct or the desire to have/raise kids. It's not risky that I don't have kids. I am not selfish for not wanting to reproduce. I am 100% not parent material and I know it. I've known it since I was a kid. My brother and sister-in-law are the same. They use protection to not get pregnant but if they did end up in the family way they would accept it; but they have no active interest in having kids. 

No one should be told something is "fundamentally wrong" with them because they don't want kids. It's nobody's damn business why folks choose to have them, or not. Dolly Parton, Jennifer Anniston and Betty White are three famous women of three different generations who chose to not have children. What, pray tell, is "fundamentally wrong" with them? 

Man this chaps my hide.

Pontiff: "Cats and dogs do not tithe, our budget is dwindling, please make like your ancestors and do all the unprotected bedroom stuff."

I am fully on board with people who know themselves well enough to know that they would not make decent parents abstaining from child-bearing. It sure as heck beats bringing a kid into the world who is going to be abused, ignored, or worse during their youth.

This just furthers the notion that we shouldn't give one crap what a dude in a funny hat thinks. Without delving too deep in flaggable topics, his workplace instruction manual laid out the plan for pairing up rather clearly, and made no mention of parenting in the primary design. He's off-script in everything he's saying, and let's leave it at that.

you are trying to get me flagged, aren't you?

Let's go with "Do as I say, not as I do" is prevalent in his line of work. The other comment is too risky.

(01-06-2022, 10:19 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: I never understood how that choice could be described as selfish. Selfish to whom? Having kids you didn't want to please someone else is in no way a good idea.

Mikey pointed it out in his reply. Dogs and cats don't tithe. Lol. Simple yet true.

(01-05-2022, 09:14 PM)Jags Wrote:
(01-05-2022, 09:06 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: He's saying if he could do this he would be having kids. Ya know?

[image]

Be fruitful and multiply, yet he can’t.  Perhaps he should read more in that book.  Pretty sure he won’t go to hell if he had married a woman and had a few.  But I don’t want to get religious.  

Years ago I had to do community service for a crime I didn’t commit.  I chose to work for a church after hours of manual labor at  lil Talbot island.  (They’ve got some ruins or something that was eroded and I shoveled by hand a couple dump truck loads of oyster shells to keep the ruins from ruing more or something. Go have a look. I did a bang up job. Anyways..I was suspect of myself for smoking and wanted to quit.  The youth pastor said to me and I won’t forget, “do you think he’s gonna send you to he’ll because you smoke cigarettes”?  Then it made more sense, lol.

This makess me chuckle because the day I quit was the day I was dunked as an adult.
It's a shame we can't have civil discussions along these lines, because topics like these would be fun to unpack philosophically, to a point. Not going to though, so no worries all ya gods mods Ninja

(01-06-2022, 11:49 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(01-06-2022, 10:19 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: I never understood how that choice could be described as selfish. Selfish to whom? Having kids you didn't want to please someone else is in no way a good idea.

Mikey pointed it out in his reply. Dogs and cats don't tithe. Lol. Simple yet true.

#Truth

Keep this up and there’s going to be a whooole lotta smitin’ going on.

(01-06-2022, 12:08 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Keep this up and there’s going to be a whooole lotta smitin’ going on.

Unless I’m mistaken, that was the number one hit way back when it was raining nonstop for seemingly 40 days.

(01-06-2022, 11:50 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(01-05-2022, 09:14 PM)Jags Wrote: Be fruitful and multiply, yet he can’t.  Perhaps he should read more in that book.  Pretty sure he won’t go to hell if he had married a woman and had a few.  But I don’t want to get religious.  

This makess me chuckle because the day I quit was the day I was dunked as an adult.
It's a shame we can't have civil discussions along these lines, because topics like these would be fun to unpack philosophically, to a point. Not going to though, so no worries all ya gods mods Ninja

I understand why religion and politics were banned way back.  They bring in politics and I see what that did.  I’m guilty, at times of adding to it.  But I honestly don’t think religion would bring the same grief as the political does now. 

I also think it would be a fun topic to discuss.  There have been many topics brought up that couldn’t be fully discussed without it.  Topics in which religion played a role in a portion of it.  Considering the options, and what stats say what people think, oddly enough, more people are in line with religion than they are with politics.  Politics is almost 50/50. Not so much on religion.  I understand there would be guys coming in saying “ y’all are stupid”. But I can’t think of many scenarios in which a religious debate would come to the blows we see in the political section.  

I’d love to fully discuss things like you and I mentioned above.  As well as space, aliens and political stances. Even more than that.  I’m not complaining about this site, but I’d wager that they allowed the wrong topic if they weren’t wanting toxic convos.

(01-06-2022, 08:11 PM)Jags Wrote:
(01-06-2022, 11:50 AM)Mikey Wrote: This makess me chuckle because the day I quit was the day I was dunked as an adult.

I understand why religion and politics were banned way back.  They bring in politics and I see what that did.  I’m guilty, at times of adding to it.  But I honestly don’t think religion would bring the same grief as the political does now. 

I also think it would be a fun topic to discuss.  There have been many topics brought up that couldn’t be fully discussed without it.  Topics in which religion played a role in a portion of it.  Considering the options, and what stats say what people think, oddly enough, more people are in line with religion than they are with politics.  Politics is almost 50/50. Not so much on religion.  I understand there would be guys coming in saying “ y’all are stupid”. But I can’t think of many scenarios in which a religious debate would come to the blows we see in the political section.  

I’d love to fully discuss things like you and I mentioned above.  As well as space, aliens and political stances. Even more than that.  I’m not complaining about this site, but I’d wager that they allowed the wrong topic if they weren’t wanting toxic convos.

There are people here who would do their level best to turn it into a [BLEEP] show just to get a rise out of others.

(01-06-2022, 11:40 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(01-05-2022, 05:15 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: So says Pope Francis. Dude- SHUT UP. (No, we're not talking about religion here, just the asinine comments of this man and many people in general.) 

Link

Man this chaps my hide.

Pontiff: "Cats and dogs do not tithe, our budget is dwindling, please make like your ancestors and do all the unprotected bedroom stuff."

I am fully on board with people who know themselves well enough to know that they would not make decent parents abstaining from child-bearing. It sure as heck beats bringing a kid into the world who is going to be abused, ignored, or worse during their youth.

This just furthers the notion that we shouldn't give one crap what a dude in a funny hat thinks. Without delving too deep in flaggable topics, his workplace instruction manual laid out the plan for pairing up rather clearly, and made no mention of parenting in the primary design. He's off-script in everything he's saying, and let's leave it at that.

you are trying to get me flagged, aren't you?

Let's go with "Do as I say, not as I do" is prevalent in his line of work. The other comment is too risky.

The joke just writes itself, but we can't say it here.  What a shame.

(01-06-2022, 11:39 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(01-06-2022, 08:11 PM)Jags Wrote: I understand why religion and politics were banned way back.  They bring in politics and I see what that did.  I’m guilty, at times of adding to it.  But I honestly don’t think religion would bring the same grief as the political does now. 

There are people here who would do their level best to turn it into a [BLEEP] show just to get a rise out of others.

yeppers.
That's why I leaned into the philosophy/ways of thinking aspect instead of theology.
All that said, there's no way in hell I'd ever even browse the political side for this very same reason, and I can't imagine what the mods have to put up with just to keep it open.

TLDR: Thanks to people being people, we can't have nice things.

(01-07-2022, 11:23 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(01-06-2022, 11:39 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: There are people here who would do their level best to turn it into a [BLEEP] show just to get a rise out of others.

yeppers.
That's why I leaned into the philosophy/ways of thinking aspect instead of theology.
All that said, there's no way in hell I'd ever even browse the political side for this very same reason, and I can't imagine what the mods have to put up with just to keep it open.

TLDR: Thanks to people being people, we can't have nice things.

A lot of tongue biting, metaphorically speaking.