Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Suggestion - Baalke as Asst GM

I understand Baalke's 49ers drafts were terribad and he's picked horrible coaches, but it appears the 2021 draft is why he's getting another chance. 

One poster mentioned that if you net a franchise QB (Trevor), a starting left tackle (Little), a starting corner (Campbell), and some other helpful pieces (Cisco and maybe ETN), then it was a heckuva draft. If Trevor develops into even a Kirk Cousins/Mark Brunell level QB and the other guys become solid starters, it was a better than any draft Smith/Shack/Caldwell ever had. 

How about Shad and the clown protesters reach a compromise: Baalke gets to stay as an assistant to a new GM? He can lead the injury/reclamation projects team. Pair him with someone's brother in law as an intern to boss around.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The problem with this past draft is that if it pans out then it was all luck.

We drafted three players with an ACL injury. All three of them very well could have not played or not played at a good enough level. It was lucky that so far all three have been fine.

Wow...
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(01-06-2022, 01:08 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: I understand Baalke's 49ers drafts were terribad and he's picked horrible coaches, but it appears the 2021 draft is why he's getting another chance. 

One poster mentioned that if you net a franchise QB (Trevor), a starting left tackle (Little), a starting corner (Campbell), and some other helpful pieces (Cisco and maybe ETN), then it was a heckuva draft. If Trevor develops into even a Kirk Cousins/Mark Brunell level QB and the other guys become solid starters, it was a better than any draft Smith/Shack/Caldwell ever had. 

How about Shad and the clown protesters reach a compromise: Baalke gets to stay as an assistant to a new GM? He can lead the injury/reclamation projects team. Pair him with someone's brother in law as an intern to boss around.

Compromise with the clown protestors?  Are you kidding?  Why in the world would the owner of an NFL team have to "compromise" with a tiny subset of disgruntled fans?  That would be ridiculous.

Compromise between Shad and the clown fans: fire Baalke and don't hire BoB. Do virtually anything else and the clown memes will disappear.

Boo hooooo. The poor billionaire who puts out a crap product yearly is being made fun of. I feel worse for my wife who broke a nail at work.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(01-06-2022, 01:23 PM)Upper Wrote: Compromise between Shad and the clown fans: fire Baalke and don't hire BoB. Do virtually anything else and the clown memes will disappear.

Agreed.

I don't want Baalke having anything to do with personnel decisions. He shouldn't be kept on, even as a water boy.
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]

Pretty tough to pick a “Franchise” qb when you have the 1st Pick and how many picks did he have in this draft anyways especially in the top 4 rounds? I think any fan with a internet cheatsheet could have hit on a couple picks. Add the fact he has been rumored to want Bill O’Brien, he needs to go period. Clean house, I’m tired of all the half [BLEEP] firings and retaining parts of previous regime’s, that track record hasn’t exactly been proven successful.
[img]blob:https://www.duvalpride.com/1a8a2498-9833-4b7d-8cc7-5e45aa36d9f6[/img][img=648x560]blob:https://www.duvalpride.com/cfd7a344-8206-4fed-a4c4-6536e150b1a7[/img]

(01-06-2022, 01:08 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: I understand Baalke's 49ers drafts were terribad and he's picked horrible coaches, but it appears the 2021 draft is why he's getting another chance. 

Franchise QB?
My 6 year old daughters would've picked Trevor Lawrence. Maybe we should hire them as GM. Pretty sure they wouldn't hire Bill O'Brien at least.

Much of the rest is left to be seen. His history with coaches is awful. He should've never been hired as GM. And how about Free Agency? How did he do there? We've won two games all year. He was given the job because he'd be a yes man to Meyer, who's gone. (Yet another coaching failure under his GM tenure. Granted, you can't credit him entirely for Meyer's hiring, since Shad picked Meyer before picking Baalke.) He's also still from the previous regime we should've cast aside and said goodbye to. I know some people drink a LOT of teal kool aid. But sometimes you have to put the kool aid down. And how many coaches refuse to come here because they don't want to work with Trent Baalke given his own shady past history? There's too many red flags. And there should've been for him to hire him in the first place.

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2022, 04:59 PM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-06-2022, 01:23 PM)Upper Wrote: Compromise between Shad and the clown fans: fire Baalke and don't hire BoB. Do virtually anything else and the clown memes will disappear.

Okay, you are hereby appointed Clown Representative.  Type up your proposal and send it in to him.  Better yet, cut each letter out of a piece of paper and paste them to the page and send that to him.

I do agree this past draft wasn't that bad. But how much of it was Balke and how much was Urban Fired

I could give two [BLEEP] and a solid [BLEEP] about what he did in one draft. The end result of bad coaching decisions and lack luster activity in free agency ultimately resulted in this team potentially gaining the No. 1 overall pick two years in a row.

Caldwell drafted Ramsey, Jack & Ngakoue in one draft. Didn't do [BLEEP] for this franchise at the end of the day. I want C-O-N-S-I-S-T-E-N-C-Y.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

How is this for a compromise. Shad moves the team to St. Louis and Jacksonville residents can wear their clown costumes to the Jacksonville Sharks games.

(01-06-2022, 05:55 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: How is this for a compromise.  Shad moves the team to St. Louis and Jacksonville residents can wear their clown costumes to the Jacksonville Sharks games.

Does it really matter if the team never puts itself together? As long as Khan is the owner and keeps making decisions like hiring Trent Baalke and Urban Meyer, the team will never be relevant.

As long as Baalke has no say over personnel/drafting, I'd be okay with this arrangement.

But we absolutely must have a better than competent guy calling the shots in those areas.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(01-06-2022, 05:41 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I do agree this past draft wasn't that bad. But how much of it was Balke and how much was Urban Fired

Again, this draft has more to do with luck than skill. Three questionable players were drafted with ACL injuries. We are just lucky that they are looking over it.

Count me in as one who is completely unimpressed with the Perfect Strangers guy.

1) I don't want to force Baalke on a new GM.
2) I don't want to keep Baalke in any capacity.
3) I don't want Shad Khan to "compromise" with some small unorganized group of people, just to avoid having them dress up as clowns.  That would be beyond stupid.

(This post was last modified: 01-07-2022, 10:17 AM by Mikey.)

The problems:

1) A lot of the projections here are speculative. Luke Joeckel was a starting left tackle, would you consider that a successful pick, or credit Gene with being a great evaluator? We've seen zero from Etienne, and little from Cisco to allege that either position is resolved. The question becomes, do you practice patience and keep him around in hopes that they develop, or take a chance at finding someone of similar or better ability to scout and draft?
2) We've already had coaching candidates decline an interview knowing that he'd be at the helm, and he has a history of clashing with coaches at his last stop. That is the epitome of poor references if I am hiring someone to serve in the position he's in. You may be shooting yourself in the foot if you decide to stay the course.
3) We went into last season with a boatload of cap room, and our premium signings were Griffin and a bunch of middling players. We can't say if that was driven by the state of the existing roster, the former coach, or the GM. Are you willing to chance it again this season, as we again find ourselves with ample ability to spend?

I don't think you can feasibly compromise with a demotion. If you're not confident enough to say he's your guy and risk the consequences of the above arguments, you have to send him on his way and start fresh.

(01-06-2022, 05:46 PM)Caldrac Wrote: I could give two [BLEEP] and a solid [BLEEP] about what he did in one draft. The end result of bad coaching decisions and lack luster activity in free agency ultimately resulted in this team potentially gaining the No. 1 overall pick two years in a row.

Caldwell drafted Ramsey, Jack & Ngakoue in one draft. Didn't do [BLEEP] for this franchise at the end of the day. I want C-O-N-S-I-S-T-E-N-C-Y.

I'm so sad you didn't take the chance to h/t Vic with a FULL CONSISTENCY reference.