Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Talking about the Dysfunction of the Jaguars organization.

(01-19-2022, 03:19 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(01-07-2022, 05:13 PM)Mikey Wrote: ...so yet another negative story that merited yet another thread?

How many owners are not a first-time owner?

Do you prefer that we focus solely on hiring retreads that failed their last time trying that job?

Or do you just seek out all the stories that [BLEEP] on the team you supposedly support?

Where do you put Doug Peterson on that spectrum?

He won a Super Bowl as a head coach..  Nobody else on our list of candidates can make that claim.    The fact he hasn't gotten a second interview speaks volumes that it isn't about merit.

I remember a time on the earlier iteration of this board that not hiring the most qualified person was a source of consternation and outrage.

Now?  

Apparently not so much.

I have a lot of reservations about him. There's a lot of question as to how much of the SB was due to him vs. Reich's offense/management. The final game in Philly is the stickler for me, though. Whether or not he and management clashed heads or not, that's the closest I'd seen to an actual factual tank job. I get being friends or throwing a bone to a guy who's been with you through thick and thin, but it's not conduct I'd want to see if anything went south between he and management or he and the locker room. The standoff reported between he and Wentz (at the time the franchise's QB) gives me pause.

I'd need to feel very confident that those were an isolated matter brought on by factors other than his own personality/ego before I made a decision to make him my team's coach. And I'm not going to justify any hire by "he won a SB"; Does that discount McDaniels' experience, because he was only the OC on the teams he coached? (Not advocating for him, but a suitable example).

If all other factors are equal, I do favor a returning coach over someone unfamiliar with the job. We are still a very young team and will need calm demeanor and wise voices to help develop them into a collection of professional (and hopefully winning) football players. All other factors usually aren't equal, though, so there is a likelihood that we roll with someone new to the head coaching ranks. I still say that the sense of calm and control under pressure is going to be vitally important to their success. We don't need a cheerleader; we need a mentor.

I've not hitched my wagon to any particular candidate; like you said, in the past, failing to hire the prime candidate led to outrage around here. I'm not going to let the team lead me down any path that's going to lead to rage. If they get the hire right in my eyes, awesome, let's see how it works out. If they hire someone I don't agree with, I'll be wary, but I'll still be pulling for the team to prove wiser than my ignorant opinion.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!