Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions from the Colts Game

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2022, 11:33 PM by Bullseye. Edited 1 time in total.)

Never thought I'd find myself channeling Ice Cube, but considering what the fan sentiment could have been coming into the game, today was a good day. 

My thoughts:

1.  One of the biggest and most pleasant surprises of the day was how well the defense played.  Taylor had a couple of big runs, but generally he was bottled up, and to be honest, neither of those two big runs should have amounted to anything.  On top of that, the team pressured Carson Wentz all day, to the tune of some six (6) sacks!  To accomplish that against a Colts team with such a strong offensive line...who looked to be a formidable playoff opponent because of their running attack...made me especially happy.  Josh Allen came out of his post Buffalo hibernation and looked dominant.  Smoot and Gotsis also had some impressive games.  The team also forced a couple of turnovers, and showed heart and pride in stoppjng some short yardage runs by a strong Indy rushing team.  This defense still has some problems, but their play today made me proud.  It's sad I can't say that even half of the time, but I'm glad to be able to say it after today.  Why couldn't they have done this against the Jets, Pats, Texans or 9ers?

2.  I thought the offensive game plan and execution were also quite good.  Exploiting the Colts' zone and giving TL early confidence by throwing underneath was smart.  The few times they attacked deep were well timed, and the deepest pass should have been caught.  On that topic, there weren't the plethora of drive killing drops that has so crippled this team (though I would have liked to see Shenault and Treadwell catch those passes), and aside from Taylor's holding penalty, there were no drive killing penalties, either.  That said, I don't think Bevell should be interviewed for the head coach position, but I liked the overall offensive approach today.

3.  Ryquell Armstead was far more impressive running the ball than #33, who went down far too easily on contact.  Especially when you consider the seriousness of the injuries suffered by Robinson and Etienne, I firmly believe no matter who the coach is next year, Armstead should be kept next year.  He unquestionably provides the between the tackles bulk and hard nosed style the team will need to help establish balance, toughness, and identity.  Besides, Robinson may not be ready to start the year.  Keeping Armstead around might mean the difference between having to utilize another draft pick on a RB or not.

4.  Wilson is one of those cogs in the LB corps that need to be replaced next year, I thought he had a very good game today, showing good depth and awareness in getting that INT and getting an early pressure on Wentz.

5.  While certainly I don't hold him in the same esteem as I do past Jaguars' greats like Smith or McCardell-or for that matter A Robinson and Hurns-seeing Marvin Jones involved heavily in the game plan was damn near the football fan equivalent of seeing a long lost friend.  If we get competent decision making from the Jaguars' brass next year, he will be our 4th WR at best.  But he has been a help to TL when the team has been able to get him involved.

6.  I'm looking forward to getting a kicker with a stronger leg to handle kickoffs next year, because the kick coverage was not good.  It did not induce projectile vomiting like the Jets and Texans game, but seeing those long returns today made me queasy.

7.  Rookie Watch-Let me preface this by saying today's rookie watch was the kind of rookie watch I have wanted to write all season long.  We had multiple guys making quality contributions, rather than this effectively being a one player report.

A.  Trevor Lawrence-had his best game as a professional by far.  Without the slew of penalties putting him in bad down and distance situations, without the WRs dropping passes and botching routes left and right, and getting good protection throughout the game, TL flourished.  He hit something like his first 15 or so passes, threw two TDs and no INTs.  His TD to Marvin Jones where he recovered the high snap, rolled to his right, and hit Jones in the back of the end zone in a finish to the play reminscent of Montana to Clark's "the catch" 40 years ago (egads I'm old as hell) was clearly his most exciting play all year and woke me up from my season long Jaguars induced lethargy.  He could have had a monster game but for two drops-one by Treadwell down the left sideline on a deep pass, and the other by Shenault trying to put the ball over the goal line before securing the catch.  T perform like this against a strong Colts' defense with everything to play for made me even prouder than I was of the defense.  This was closer the Trevor Lawrence we've wanted to see this year.  Just imaging if the coaching, protection, and receivers are upgraded.  That thought makes me smile..even if for a moment.

B.  Travis Etienne-DNP.  Hoping he'll be fully recovered by training camp.

C.  Tyson Campbell, after a slow start to the season, Campbell continued his solid play.  The Colts wideouts really didn't do much, and Campbell was a reason why.  He also had good run suipport on an outside run by Taylor.  I think if utilized properly, he will be an asset for this team.

D.  Walker Little-When he was picked, I said he could be the second ost important player in the 2021 draft behind Trevor Lawrence because if the position he plays and where he was drafted.  It took him a while to get into the lineup.  I imagine rust took much of the season to come off, and early in the season, the OL was not awful, so there was no need to rush him.  He had a last minute start against the Bills and had some good and bad moments.  but the last two weeks, both starts at LT, illustrated why I had so much hope for him when we drafted him.  Now I don't think Judon played too much for the Patriots last week in their blowout win, but Little played well against NE, and followed that up with another good outing today.  He got beat inside by fellow rookie DE Kwity Paye, but aside from that play, there was nothing negative that stood out to me.  Again, to do that against a defense like the Colts was another reason for pride.  I don't know what position he will play-either LT or RT-but I expect him to be a starter next year.

E.  Andre Cisco-For the second time in three weeks, Cisco almost created a turnover with a near INT against the Jets and a forced fumble today.  While technically he did not make either play, he was at least in position to make them, which is more than I can say for a lot of the Jaguars DBs this year.  As he gains more experience, as he and the rest of the defense play with more leads and in better down and distance situations, with better coaching, he will make some of those plays.

F.  Jay Tufele-Got playing time and got some pressure on one of the sacks on Wentz.  Without looking at the stats, he may have gotten credit for a half sack.

G.  Jordan Smith-this is the second game in a row he has been active and got some playing time.  He didn't do anything, but heck him getting on the field at all represents progress.

H.  Luke Farrell-Got some PT, and drew a PI penalty.  Also blocked well on an outside run to the left.

This is how these rookie watch sections should read every week, at least until this team is a perennial winner and it's hard for rookies to start.

8.  Bottom line-Despite arguably the worst season in Jaguars history, one that caused unprecedented discontent from the Jaguars fans, this game gave us lots of reasons to smile.  TL had his best game so far.  The defense played with a sense of pride and were relentless in getting after Wentz and stuffing the run on most plays.  The team dominated the Colts and knocked out a divisional foe from playoff contention.  To top it off, despite our win, we managed to hold onto the #1 overall pick in next year's draft.  I am actually smiling somewhat after this disaster of a season and the possibility that Baalke may ruin future seasons.  I will enjoy this while I can...and hope for better days in the future.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2022, 11:42 PM by Jag149.)

Great review of the game. I always look forward to reading. It was nice that more of our rookies got to play and participate. A couple things I believe went on.

First
Our defense has play some pretty good games this year, but seemed to start slow before tightening up. Today when the offense walked dominantly down the field and scored it had a good effect on our defense. They responded by beginning the game fired up and never lost their intensity after that. The guys in the trenches seem to feed off each other's success. Football is at the end of the day somewhat emotional.

Second
Minshew would have not been able to save that high snap. Thank goodness TL is as tall as he is....Wink
A new broom always sweeps clean.

Can't disagree with any of your points. This was a great way to end the season. The Lions win was also very big since having the first pick in each round is a big advantage. Depending on what happens in free agency, I'm hopeful that they can trade back twice to accumulate extra picks in the first 3 rounds who can contribute immediately. Hopefully this victory will not cause Khan to keep Baalke. They need to clean house except for Cullen. He did a good job for the most part, although the new head coach may want to bring in his own guy.

(This post was last modified: 01-09-2022, 11:49 PM by Bullseye. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-09-2022, 11:41 PM)Jag149 Wrote: Great review of the game. I always look forward to reading. It was nice that more of our rookies got to play and participate.  A couple things I believe went on.

First
Our defense has play some pretty good games this year, but seemed to start slow before tightening up. Today when the offense walked dominantly down the field and scored it had a good effect on our defense.  They responded by beginning the game fired up and never lost their intensity after that.  The guys in the trenches seem to feed off each other's success. Football is at the end of the day somewhat emotional.

Second
Minshew would have not been able to save that high snap. Thank goodness TL is as tall as he is....Wink

(emphasis added)
Thanks.

TL also showed very good athletic ability and presence of mind on that play.

For him to have to jump and turn around like that and roll right and so quickly identify Marvin Jones as having single coverage and throw it to where only he could get it was amazing.

(01-09-2022, 11:46 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Can't disagree with any of your points. This was a great way to end the season. The Lions win was also very big since having the first pick in each round is a big advantage. Depending on what happens in free agency, I'm hopeful that they can trade back twice to accumulate extra picks in the first 3 rounds who can contribute immediately. Hopefully this victory will not cause Khan to keep Baalke. They need to clean house except for Cullen. He did a good job for the most part, although the new head coach may want to bring in his own guy.
I go back and forth on this.

This was cullens first year as a DC, and the HC wouldn't let him put the best players on the field for him. Give him another year please.

Outstanding review as always mate

I agree with the others.. Cullen Deserves another year he's done a lot with a little.

YES!
THE CATCH Montana to Clark that was EXACTLY what I was thinking when he made that catch.
Granted I wasn’t born in the 20s like you Bullseye. I just watched reruns in my youth of old clips from nfl network

Anyways great write up as usual. Please bring more of these great write ups next year! Cheers!

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2022, 04:48 AM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

Keep cullen. He was a great find. Is a great choice. If not, he will go be someone's defense coordinator, and we will regret losing him when the next d coach here sucks like all the ones we have had before. I cant wait to see who the head coach will be and hopefully the jags will have a top offensive play caller. The draft will be here soon enough. These are Exciting times and free agency will be crucial if utilized correctly

Keep Joe Cullen as DC.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Learn from the great collapse of 2023.  

(01-10-2022, 03:58 AM)MojoKing Wrote: YES!
THE CATCH Montana to Clark that was EXACTLY what I was thinking when he made that catch.
Granted I wasn’t born in the 20s like you Bullseye. I just watched reruns in my youth of old clips from nfl network 

Anyways great write up as usual. Please bring more of these great write ups next year! Cheers!
Massive difference between Montana to Clark and Lawrence to Jobes, that was an NFC Championship winning play for 49ers.

(01-10-2022, 07:20 AM)Rockman1966 Wrote:

Massive difference between Montana to Clark and Lawrence to Jobes, that was an NFC Championship winning play for 49ers.

Sure, but it looked exactly like it.

(01-10-2022, 07:20 AM)Rockman1966 Wrote:

Of course the circumstances make the two plays massively different.  I watched it happen live and have that image burned in my mind forever.  Nobody denies that.

There are other differences too.  The Montana to Clark was a designed play.  Lawrence to Jones was an ad libed, borne of of botched execution and good athleticism.

But just the overall dynamic of the play-a desperate scramble to the right sideline, a high throw to the back of the end zone, a WR jumping high to make an incredible catch to come down in bounds-is similar.

(01-10-2022, 09:49 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(01-10-2022, 07:20 AM)Rockman1966 Wrote: Massive difference between Montana to Clark and Lawrence to Jobes, that was an NFC Championship winning play for 49ers.

Of course the circumstances make the two plays massively different.  I watched it happen live and have that image burned in my mind forever.  Nobody denies that.

There are other differences too.  The Montana to Clark was a designed play.  Lawrence to Jones was an ad libed, borne of of botched execution and good athleticism.

But just the overall dynamic of the play-a desperate scramble to the right sideline, a high throw to the back of the end zone, a WR jumping high to make an incredible catch to come down in bounds-is similar.

It was a great play by TL & MJ.  We both agree the plays differ in circumstances, one being a called play and one purely extemporaneous.  

Montana & Clark actually practiced what became, “The Catch.”

What about the offensive play calling in the Colts game? I thought that was pretty good as well. The Colts seemed to be totally taken off-guard at the start of the game, especially.
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]

(01-10-2022, 10:03 AM)Sibelius Wrote: What about the offensive play calling in the Colts game? I thought that was pretty good as well. The Colts seemed to be totally taken off-guard at the start of the game, especially.
Since Urban left and Bevell gave up playcalling duties, the offense has moved the ball much better.

Urban basically gave the Jags a wasted season.

(01-10-2022, 10:03 AM)Sibelius Wrote: What about the offensive play calling in the Colts game? I thought that was pretty good as well. The Colts seemed to be totally taken off-guard at the start of the game, especially.

Schottenheimer found good stuff in that playbook for Lawrence to shine with. 

It was insane how often Bevell/Meyer had him taking five step drops or throwing to long developing routes from shotgun when he was getting below league average pocket time before pressure. 

Schotty carefully saved those plays for the right moments and gave Lawrence an abundance of high-completion % throws. Which is what a rookie should be getting from day one. Trevor was thrown to the wolves from day one instead.

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2022, 10:13 AM by Bullseye.)

(01-10-2022, 09:57 AM)Rockman1966 Wrote:
(01-10-2022, 09:49 AM)Bullseye Wrote: Of course the circumstances make the two plays massively different.  I watched it happen live and have that image burned in my mind forever.  Nobody denies that.

It was a great play by TL & MJ.  We both agree the plays differ in circumstances, one being a called play and one purely extemporaneous.  

Montana & Clark actually practiced what became, “The Catch.”
Exactly.

I wonder how many teams and offenses have incorporated that play in their red zone offenses since then.

For that matter, i wonder if the Jaguars had such a play, and circumstances.instincts led TL and MJ to that same action.

Again, as far as import, clearly no comparison between the two (one for the right to go to the Super Bowl, marking the ascent of one dynasty and the decline of another, the one yesterdays between a last place team playing out the string against a team trying to reach the playoffs).

Just similar in a lot of ways.

Here's hoping on some level, this play marks the beginning of ascent of the Jaguars and the decline of the Colts.

I wouldn't rank the game plan up there with Hackett's game plans in the 2017 playoff games vs the Steelers and the first half against new England, or for that matter, Gilbride's plan against Denver in the 1996 playoffs, but it was pretty good.

(01-10-2022, 06:57 AM)jagsfan06 Wrote: Keep Joe Cullen as DC.

It's best if the new HC can select his own coordinators. 

Haven't checked the boxscore but it didn't feel like we had the all too frequent holding penalties on drives yesterday.