Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions from the Colts Game

(01-10-2022, 10:26 AM)CanDoBetter Wrote:
(01-10-2022, 06:57 AM)jagsfan06 Wrote: Keep Joe Cullen as DC.

It's best if the new HC can select his own coordinators. 

Haven't checked the boxscore but it didn't feel like we had the all too frequent holding penalties on drives yesterday.

1.  That's one of the reasons against keeping Cullen.  If the best qualified head coach wants to hire someone else as def coord, then I'm willing to let Cullen go, even though overall I think he did a good job.

2.  I recall one holding penalty.  Of course it was on Jawaan Taylor.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2022, 10:54 AM by Bullseye. Edited 1 time in total.)

I wasn't the only one that made the Dwicght Clark comparison.

This from Peter King

Quote:Trevor Lawrence, quarterback, Jacksonville. Biggest win of his young career, knocking the Colts out of the playoffs Sunday, and also the biggest throw of his young career to clinch it. With a 16-3 lead late in the third quarter, center Tyler Shatley snapped the ball over Lawrence’s head. Lawrence leapt to corral it and immediately was under pressure by two Colts rushers. He sprinted right and threw to the back of the end zone. Marvin Jones Jr., skying for the ball like Dwight Clark once did, grabbed it and toe-tapped for the clinching touchdown. Beautiful recovery, great throw.

(emphasis added)

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Yes it seems like things finally came together for the offense. I’m glad we had 17 games, as it turned out. Did we ever hear anything on Armstead’s injury? Would hate it if he blew his knee out after that triumphant return.

(01-10-2022, 03:58 AM)MojoKing Wrote: YES!
THE CATCH Montana to Clark that was EXACTLY what I was thinking when he made that catch.
Granted I wasn’t born in the 20s like you Bullseye. I just watched reruns in my youth of old clips from nfl network 

Anyways great write up as usual. Please bring more of these great write ups next year! Cheers!

Being someone who is prolly close to him in age, that was just wrong and crule (see I have trouble spelling with a keyboard) LOL. Now 30s or 40s mighta been more acceptable a comment. But you were just havin' a li'l fun so no true harm. Ya young whippersnapper.  Big Grin

(01-10-2022, 10:10 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(01-10-2022, 09:57 AM)Rockman1966 Wrote: It was a great play by TL & MJ.  We both agree the plays differ in circumstances, one being a called play and one purely extemporaneous.  

Montana & Clark actually practiced what became, “The Catch.”
Exactly.

I wonder how many teams and offenses have incorporated that play in their red zone offenses since then.

For that matter, i wonder if the Jaguars had such a play, and circumstances.instincts led TL and MJ to that same action.

Again, as far as import, clearly no comparison between the two (one for the right to go to the Super Bowl, marking the ascent of one dynasty and the decline of another, the one yesterdays between a last place team playing out the string against a team trying to reach the playoffs).

Just similar in a lot of ways.

Here's hoping on some level, this play marks the beginning of ascent of the Jaguars and the decline of the Colts.

One other item to note about yesterday's play was that the snap was botched and the timing of everything was off, but everyone involved managed to recover and make a significant play out of something that otherwise ends up a negative play. Even if Jones and TLaw had rehearsed that play 40 times this week, that one hiccup should have been enough to cause the whole thing to fall apart. The fact that it didn't is a very good sign of things to come.

(01-10-2022, 10:04 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-10-2022, 10:03 AM)Sibelius Wrote: What about the offensive play calling in the Colts game? I thought that was pretty good as well. The Colts seemed to be totally taken off-guard at the start of the game, especially.
Since Urban left and Bevell gave up playcalling duties, the offense has moved the ball much better.

Urban basically gave the Jags a wasted season.

(01-10-2022, 10:09 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-10-2022, 10:03 AM)Sibelius Wrote: What about the offensive play calling in the Colts game? I thought that was pretty good as well. The Colts seemed to be totally taken off-guard at the start of the game, especially.

Schottenheimer found good stuff in that playbook for Lawrence to shine with. 

It was insane how often Bevell/Meyer had him taking five step drops or throwing to long developing routes from shotgun when he was getting below league average pocket time before pressure. 

Schotty carefully saved those plays for the right moments and gave Lawrence an abundance of high-completion % throws. Which is what a rookie should be getting from day one. Trevor was thrown to the wolves from day one instead.

I mean it makes perfect sense.

For most of the season, Urban was on the sideline pacing around doing nothing except trying to think of ways to bench JRob and Bevell was up in the booth calling plays.

Shotty was the dude down on the sidelines working with Trevor and talking to him every game. He was the one going over what just happened on the tablet etc. with Trevor after every series. It makes sense why the play calling got better and made Trevor look more comfortable. He's the one who spent the majority of the time talking with Trevor and knowing what kind of plays he liked better than others and what suited him best.

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2022, 07:48 PM by D6. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-10-2022, 04:46 AM)Jag88 Wrote: Keep cullen. He was a great find. Is a great choice. If not, he will go be someone's defense coordinator, and we will regret losing him when the next d coach here sucks like all the ones we have had before. I cant wait to see who the head coach will be and hopefully the jags will have a top offensive play caller.  The draft will be here soon enough. These are Exciting times and free agency will be crucial if utilized correctly

Joe Cullen got well deserved praise from the 33rd Team site that former Eagles and Browns GM Joe Banner helps run.

4 Underrated Coordinators Who Could Become Household Names (the33rdteam.com)

(01-13-2022, 07:47 PM)D6 Wrote:
(01-10-2022, 04:46 AM)Jag88 Wrote: Keep cullen. He was a great find. Is a great choice. If not, he will go be someone's defense coordinator, and we will regret losing him when the next d coach here sucks like all the ones we have had before. I cant wait to see who the head coach will be and hopefully the jags will have a top offensive play caller.  The draft will be here soon enough. These are Exciting times and free agency will be crucial if utilized correctly

Joe Cullen got well deserved praise from the 33rd Team site that former Eagles and Browns GM Joe Banner helps run.

Nice,

Joe Cullen: Defensive Coordinator, Jacksonville Jaguars
Cullen, is in his first year with Jacksonville after spending 15 years as a defensive line coach, including the last 5 with the Baltimore Ravens. During his time with the Ravens, they allowed the 2nd-least rushing yards per game and second lowest 3rd down percentage allowed, all while tallying the 3rd most turnovers (126).
Since moving to Jacksonville, he has been an underrated commodity to the improvement of a defense that is starved for talent. It was tough sledding to start the season, but since the bye week this defense has made major improvements. From Week 8 on, the Jaguars have had the 12th highest pass rush win rate in the NFL (51.3%), right above the Chiefs and behind the Patriots. They also rank 14th in total pressures (183), right in front of the Eagles, Bengals and Titans (all playoff teams). Cullen’s defensive line has accrued the 8th most TFL + no gain plays since Week 8 (51). They rank 15th in EPA/Play differential from 2020 to 2021.
On the back end, they have allowed the 5th-least yards per reception (9.9), and 10th-least amount of yards allowed per coverage snaps. All this while being the 5th most disciplined team in coverage being called for only 8 penalties. While it has not all been positive since the bye, they have held two playoff teams to 6 points (Buffalo), and 11 points (Colts) – both in wins.

(01-13-2022, 07:52 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 07:47 PM)D6 Wrote: Joe Cullen got well deserved praise from the 33rd Team site that former Eagles and Browns GM Joe Banner helps run.

Nice,

Joe Cullen: Defensive Coordinator, Jacksonville Jaguars
Cullen, is in his first year with Jacksonville after spending 15 years as a defensive line coach, including the last 5 with the Baltimore Ravens. During his time with the Ravens, they allowed the 2nd-least rushing yards per game and second lowest 3rd down percentage allowed, all while tallying the 3rd most turnovers (126).
Since moving to Jacksonville, he has been an underrated commodity to the improvement of a defense that is starved for talent. It was tough sledding to start the season, but since the bye week this defense has made major improvements. From Week 8 on, the Jaguars have had the 12th highest pass rush win rate in the NFL (51.3%), right above the Chiefs and behind the Patriots. They also rank 14th in total pressures (183), right in front of the Eagles, Bengals and Titans (all playoff teams). Cullen’s defensive line has accrued the 8th most TFL + no gain plays since Week 8 (51). They rank 15th in EPA/Play differential from 2020 to 2021.
On the back end, they have allowed the 5th-least yards per reception (9.9), and 10th-least amount of yards allowed per coverage snaps. All this while being the 5th most disciplined team in coverage being called for only 8 penalties. While it has not all been positive since the bye, they have held two playoff teams to 6 points (Buffalo), and 11 points (Colts) – both in wins.

Keep Cullen and get Keenan Wayne McCardell back
A new broom always sweeps clean.

JC is a real up and comer in the coaching ranks.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Learn from the great collapse of 2023.  

My biggest observation from this game is Trevor has his breakout game. Watching hard knocks, is awesome to see his accuracy and the velocity on the ball (as well as touch when needed).

(01-13-2022, 07:47 PM)D6 Wrote:

Good stuff! I really fear they the jags will go back to that soft defense next season if the new coach goes another direction.