Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Raiders and Patriots

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2022, 11:18 AM by Brett. Edited 2 times in total.)

If the Raiders win this game tonight, they get the 5 seed and the Patriots gets the 6 seed. They would both be 10-7 but somehow the Raiders hold the tiebreaker. Can someone tell me exactly how? I've been going off this list under two clubs but can't see how still

https://www.nfl.com/standings/tie-breaking-procedures

1. They didn't play head to head

2. They both finished the same percentage for their conference

3. I'm not sure how common games is figured so is this how it came to break the tiebreaker? If so how?

If not this 3rd one did it go on to a 4th, 5th one that finally gave the Raiders the tiebreaker over the Patriots or what? More details the better would be appreciated, thanks!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If the Raiders and Chargers tie they both go and Pitt misses the playoffs. Haha

(01-10-2022, 12:50 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: If the Raiders and Chargers tie they both go and Pitt misses the playoffs.  Haha

I bet when Ben went to bed tonight he didn't expect that to happen.

Some pretty good games today

(01-10-2022, 01:18 AM)jaglyn Wrote: Some pretty good games today

An incredible final week of the regular season. All kinds of chaos.  Banana

Steeler fans won’t be able to poop for a week after all that clinching they were doing at the end of that game tonight!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(01-10-2022, 12:39 AM)Brett Wrote: If the Raiders win this game tonight, they get the 5 seed and the Patriots gets the 6 seed. They would both be 10-7 but somehow the Raiders hold the tiebreaker. Can someone tell me exactly how? I've been going off this list under two clubs but can't see how still

2. They both finished the same percentage for their division

3. I'm not sure how common games is figured so is this how it came to break the tiebreaker? If so how?

If not this 3rd one did it go on to a 4th, 5th one that finally gave the Raiders the tiebreaker over the Patriots or what? More details the better would be appreciated, thanks!

The Pats and Raiders had 4 common opponents this season which included the Chargers, Dolphins, Browns and Colts.  The Raiders played the Chargers twice being in division and the Pats played the Dolphins twice for the same reason.  The Pats were 2-3 in those 5 games.  The Raiders were 4-1.

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2022, 01:54 AM by Eric1. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-10-2022, 01:40 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: Steeler fans won’t be able to poop for a week after all that clinching they were doing at the end of that game tonight!

The amount of clinching, raised blood pressure, pulling hair out etc. the Steelers fans must have went through in those final 20 minutes of game time.

The jags gave a gift to the steeler fans

(01-10-2022, 01:34 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(01-10-2022, 01:18 AM)jaglyn Wrote: Some pretty good games today

An incredible final week of the regular season. All kinds of chaos.  Banana

I blew off week 18 but I think the NFL got me hooked again

I almost wonder if that was intentional to justify the 17th regular season game

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2022, 11:13 AM by Brett. Edited 3 times in total.)

(01-10-2022, 01:43 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(01-10-2022, 12:39 AM)Brett Wrote: If the Raiders win this game tonight, they get the 5 seed and the Patriots gets the 6 seed. They would both be 10-7 but somehow the Raiders hold the tiebreaker. Can someone tell me exactly how? I've been going off this list under two clubs but can't see how still

2. They both finished the same percentage for their division

The Pats and Raiders had 4 common opponents this season which included the Chargers, Dolphins, Browns and Colts.  The Raiders played the Chargers twice being in division and the Pats played the Dolphins twice for the same reason.  The Pats were 2-3 in those 5 games.  The Raiders were 4-1.

Thanks man! Before seeing your reply, I actually figured out that it did go towards the 3rd approach of common games played and how that was the tiebreaker used. I did the math on my own too. But just a heads up, you forgot to include the Cowboys whom they both played. So the Patriots were 2-4 (0.333) and the Raiders were 5-1 (0.833) against all 6 common opponents.

Patriots - L to Dolphins, L to Cowboys, W against Chargers, W against Browns, L against Colts, L against Dolphins
Raiders - W against Dolphins, L against Chargers, W against Cowboys, W against Browns, W against Colts, W against Chargers

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2022, 12:06 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-10-2022, 11:11 AM)Brett Wrote:
(01-10-2022, 01:43 AM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: The Pats and Raiders had 4 common opponents this season which included the Chargers, Dolphins, Browns and Colts.  The Raiders played the Chargers twice being in division and the Pats played the Dolphins twice for the same reason.  The Pats were 2-3 in those 5 games.  The Raiders were 4-1.

Thanks man! Before seeing your reply, I actually figured out that it did go towards the 3rd approach of common games played and how that was the tiebreaker used. I did the math on my own too. But just a heads up, you forgot to include the Cowboys whom they both played. So the Patriots were 2-4 (0.333) and the Raiders were 5-1 (0.833) against all 6 common opponents.

Patriots - L to Dolphins, L to Cowboys, W against Chargers, W against Browns, L against Colts, L against Dolphins
Raiders - W against Dolphins, L against Chargers, W against Cowboys, W against Browns, W against Colts, W against Chargers

Yeah, wasn't thinking about NFC since in the past each AFC division rotated which NFC division they played each year.  It looks like since the AFC East played the NFC South this year that the Pats 17th game (not in order) was that Cowboys match up.  Good catch.

Interesting tie breaker and outcome as I would put the Patriots as the more dangerous team in the playoffs.

(01-10-2022, 04:01 AM)Jag88 Wrote: The jags gave a gift to the steeler fans

...so did the Raiders.

They could have just as easily let the clock run out.

I don't know if the seeding would have changed or if that factored in at all in their decision, but this will be some fuel to that rivalry in the next few years, assuming the LA Chargers have fans (@@) to get riled up about missing the postseason.

(01-10-2022, 03:29 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(01-10-2022, 04:01 AM)Jag88 Wrote: The jags gave a gift to the steeler fans

...so did the Raiders.

I don't know if the seeding would have changed or if that factored in at all in their decision, but this will be some fuel to that rivalry in the next few years, assuming the LA Chargers have fans (@@) to get riled up about missing the postseason.

If they had tied they would have had to open in KC.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(01-10-2022, 03:41 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-10-2022, 03:29 PM)Mikey Wrote: ...so did the Raiders.

The downside for the Raiders beating the LA Chargers in OT is they have to play on Saturday Afternoon, with a plane ride to the Eastern Time Zone. Fatigue could easily set in for the Raiders in Cincinnati.

(01-10-2022, 03:41 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-10-2022, 03:29 PM)Mikey Wrote: ...so did the Raiders.

that's a big change. Makes sense that they opted for Cincy, gimme the young team that is in uncharted territory.