Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
An Observation I’m Sure Many Have Made - Coaching cost us wins

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2022, 08:44 AM by Newton. Edited 3 times in total.)

When you look at the three games we have won this year, they all came against teams who ultimately finished the year with a winning record. Furthermore, these wins did not come in so-called “garbage time” or when other teams are resting their starters. In fact, quite the opposite, these games came when other teams really needed to win either keep pace in their division or make the playoffs. However, we got completely owned by other bad teams, including the Texans twice. To me, this would suggest that for coaching definitely will cost us several wins this year. Clearly there was enough talent to pull off the upset here and there. If  was better coaching, perhaps we could have won 6 or 7 games. However, the Ineptitude has set us up relatively nicely for next year, as we do have some pieces on this roster, a quarterback who is showing promised now, and we are loaded with draft picks and salary cap.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The Jags need receivers that can catch the damn ball, and give effort to get open. Not run a route and sit.
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(01-10-2022, 09:27 AM)Ronster Wrote: The Jags need receivers that can catch the damn ball, and give effort to get open. Not run a route and sit.

No doubt. We need to sign or draft a number 1 and get Chark back.

Throughout the season it just seemed many of the players didn't try as hard, no fire in them. The Colts game looked completely different.

And isn't it great what happens when the O line actually protects TLaw? Even when the receivers continue to drop passes?
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]

Yes O-line is key. We were very pass heavy on the first half, but the pocket stayed clean.

(01-10-2022, 10:03 AM)Newton Wrote: Yes O-line is key. We were very pass heavy on the first half, but the pocket stayed clean.

Boselli was asked by the boys today on 1010XL not too long ago about this group going into next season. He thinks they need to tag Cam Robinson, potentially push Taylor to Guard and Little to RT. They're potentially looking at replacing Linder and Norwell due to age, cap hit and injury concerns. I found his take interesting. 

I almost have the exact opposite thoughts. I think they need to push for Armstead in FA, move Little to RT, draft a new Center, move Linder to G and maybe replace Norwell with Bartch while Taylor fights to earn a starting job at G with Bartch/Linder during training camp with the ability to swing at RT/Power TE position in certain situations in a contract year. 

Ideally they figure out a way to trade down to get their hands on Linderbaum at C or they land Lindstrom at some point in the draft to replace Linder at that position. Boselli said Norwell did not play very well later down the stretch as well. So, interesting overall views. I think they could slice and dice this group up in a wide variety of ways.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-10-2022, 09:32 AM)Newton Wrote:
(01-10-2022, 09:27 AM)Ronster Wrote: The Jags need receivers that can catch the damn ball, and give effort to get open. Not run a route and sit.

No doubt. We need to sign or draft a number 1 and get Chark back.

Ya know? I like Chark. A lot. I especially respect him for coming through depression and fighting it to get better MH wise and his outspoken advocacy for getting help. But I don't feel he is a true #1 WR. However, he wants to get WR#1 money. If we give him that and draft/ trade for a true WR#1, how will he react to that. I, with many others have postulated this very scenario in other threads about some all world receiving corps that we should/ could build that includes him.  Honestly though, I just don't see this happening. If we resign him, we don't trade for a Ridley or Evans or Mike Williams. Neither do we draft the Bama receiver in the 1st round. Maybe/ prolly Metchie in the 3rd round given Baalke's penchant for injured players.  And yea, I am afraid Baalke will still be here next season. A good receiver in the 2nd round would help our situation but that was supposed to be Viska. How has that turned out? Bottom line, if we don't fire Baalke I fear WR room won't get fixed. At least not to our satisfaction.

Is franchising chark an option?

(01-10-2022, 01:27 PM)Newton Wrote: Is franchising chark an option?

I don't think so. Do you want to pay him 16M? I don't think he's worth that much. Or, if you pay him 16M, that's signing bonus with a few years of contract to spread it across. Not opposed to that route, if they choose to keep him around. I don't think he's worth that much, especially considering how he's missed a number of games in a number of seasons.

I was just thinking about this actually. If you go game by game, this team COULD have won 7 or so games. HOWEVER, the jags offense that showed up yesterday would have had to show up most or the year and like mentioned above, that's didn't happen because of one primary reason. It was mostly a wide receiver drops problem. That killed the offense.

(01-10-2022, 02:36 PM)Jag88 Wrote: I was just thinking about this actually. If you go game by game, this team COULD have won 7 or so games. HOWEVER, the jags offense that showed up yesterday would have had to show up most or the year and like mentioned above, that's didn't happen because of one primary reason. It was mostly a wide receiver drops problem. That killed the offense.
Urban Meyer.

FTFY

i think the gameplan that Meyer had made wasn't made for the NFL and the guys are not like they are in college you have to scheme guys open sometimes. having Chark isnt a bad thing we know he is fast and he can catch. laviska is the biggest issue we have. he disappointed so many itmes this season, i don't know if he will make it to year 3 with us.

(01-10-2022, 02:54 PM)icey14 Wrote: i think the gameplan that Meyer had made wasn't made for the NFL and the guys are not like they are in college you have to scheme guys open sometimes.  having Chark isnt a bad thing we know he is fast and he can catch.  laviska is the biggest issue we have.  he disappointed so many itmes this season, i don't know if he will make it to year 3 with us.

Meyer had game plans?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Meyer was a ceo. He hired bevel so yeah you can blame him for that. He made some good moves too regardless if you want to recognize it or not. Water under the bridge now. Again, hopefully the jags get a coach most of us can be excited about and it's not o'Bryan but if it is, everyone will have to DEAL with it. I hope not though.

(01-10-2022, 03:16 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-10-2022, 02:54 PM)icey14 Wrote: i think the gameplan that Meyer had made wasn't made for the NFL and the guys are not like they are in college you have to scheme guys open sometimes.  having Chark isnt a bad thing we know he is fast and he can catch.  laviska is the biggest issue we have.  he disappointed so many itmes this season, i don't know if he will make it to year 3 with us.

Meyer had game plans?

He spent most of his time on his after-game plans.

(01-10-2022, 03:21 PM)Jag88 Wrote: Meyer was a ceo. 

Yeah, in the mold of Bernie Madoff.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-10-2022, 02:54 PM)icey14 Wrote: i think the gameplan that Meyer had made wasn't made for the NFL and the guys are not like they are in college you have to scheme guys open sometimes. having Chark isnt a bad thing we know he is fast and he can catch. laviska is the biggest issue we have. he disappointed so many itmes this season, i don't know if he will make it to year 3 with us.
Yeah. It's called rub routes and natural pick plays. Green Bay, Dallas, Tampa, New England, Arizona, Kansas City, San Francisco, L.A... basically any efficient offense uses these in their schemes.

Meyer failed in establishing an identity on offense. Not sure if that's from lack of insight or installations on his part [sounded like it with him showing up late and leaving early] with his staff. Or, lack of overriding Bevell's decisions.

Hopefully Baalke and O'Brien work together and find a stronger supporting cast for Lawrence. I don't see Shenault as a problem. He's just not a number one receiver in the NFL.

However, Shenault could be better schemed. I bet in a better system he's more capable and could show off more of his RAC ability and toughness. Just need better players to help get him isolated at times or clear out some areas for him to work in.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

I appreciate your opinion and post. And i find some nice optimism as well. Free agents need to be willing. The draft allows you to get the unwilling.

The owner needs to stop the toxic ownership that is repelling NFL types and people won't sign or resign. If things go the way it is breaking in the current setup/interviews fans are next in line for being repelled.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(01-10-2022, 03:21 PM)Jag88 Wrote: Meyer was a ceo. He hired bevel so yeah you can blame him for that. He made some good moves too regardless if you want to recognize it or not. Water under the bridge now. Again, hopefully the jags get a coach most of us can be excited about and it's not o'Bryan but if it is, everyone will have to DEAL with it. I hope not though.
Curious. At what point are you going to stop defending him?

(01-10-2022, 03:48 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
Yeah. It's called rub routes and natural pick plays. Green Bay, Dallas, Tampa, New England, Arizona, Kansas City, San Francisco, L.A... basically any efficient offense uses these in their schemes.

Meyer failed in establishing an identity on offense. Not sure if that's from lack of insight or installations on his part [sounded like it with him showing up late and leaving early] with his staff. Or, lack of overriding Bevell's decisions.

Hopefully Baalke and O'Brien work together and find a stronger supporting cast for Lawrence. I don't see Shenault as a problem. He's just not a number one receiver in the NFL.

However, Shenault could be better schemed. I bet in a better system he's more capable and could show off more of his RAC ability and toughness. Just need better players to help get him isolated at times or clear out some areas for him to work in.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

did you just say Laviska was not a problem? he was the most of the problem.  again yesterday dropped 2 balls and 1 was a easy TD which would easily put it away.

meyer tried playing it like it was college redshirting guys and thinking guys are just going to blow by every DB.

(This post was last modified: 01-10-2022, 04:05 PM by JagsFanSince95. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-10-2022, 08:29 AM)Newton Wrote: When you look at the three games we have won this year, they all came against teams who ultimately finished the year with a winning record. Furthermore, these wins did not come in so-called “garbage time” or when other teams are resting their starters. In fact, quite the opposite, these games came when other teams really needed to win either keep pace in their division or make the playoffs. However, we got completely owned by other bad teams, including the Texans twice. To me, this would suggest that for coaching definitely will cost us several wins this year. Clearly there was enough talent to pull off the upset here and there. If  was better coaching, perhaps we could have won 6 or 7 games. However, the Ineptitude has set us up relatively nicely for next year, as we do have some pieces on this roster, a quarterback who is showing promised now, and we are loaded with draft picks and salary cap.

The QB play has a big impact on games. Trevor was learning this year, and it's fine he struggled mightily at times,  and his WR/TEs did next to 0 to help him either. That's a disastrous mix when your coaches refused to feed your best player the ball seemingly all year (Robinson). I hope whoever they hire, is a much better game planner and utilizes our players... This defense can play well when they are put in a position to succeed. I think the defense is a few more good additions away (ILB, DE, CB1) from being a top 12-ish unit. We get our DE in round 1, maybe we lure a true 3-4 ILB over in FA and see how our CBs develop, I really like our seconday.

The offense is a much bigger mess with many more holes. Linder is old, no real dominant OG here, and our tackles suck. TE is OK for now, but WR and now RB is a massive issue. Our top 2 backs coming back from season ending injuries, plus the lack of speed/talent outside means Trevor will need to do more with less next year(again) and try to be more productive in doing so.