Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags free agents. Who do you want back?

Cam Robinson and D.J. Chark are the only ones where I would offer significant money.  However, most of our free agents are low priced players.  You aren't going to have stars at 53 roster spots.  You need some low cost players to serve as depth.  Assuming they are willing to accept pay in the same range as they made last year, I would likely make offers to:

• Tyler Shatley (Quality depth that represented less than 1% of last year's salary cap.)
  • Adam Gotsis (Rotational player/depth who represented less than 0.5% of last year's salary cap.)
  • Laquon Treadwell (Veteran minimum salary who represented less than 0.25% of salary cap.  He probably doesn't even make the team this year with upgrades that I would do, but I would still bring him back in case of injuries, if nothing else.)
  • Andrew Wingard (Cisco should start, but I would keep Wingard for depth and special teams.)
  • Will Richardson (This one is more questionable, but if he's very low cost, I may keep him for depth.  If it's between him and a late draft pick at the bottom of the depth chart protecting Trevor, I would likely go with Richardson.  You can't upgrade everything in one year)

I likely let O'Shaugnessy go.  It's supposed to be a good draft for tight ends.  I think we get one in the mid-rounds to pair with Arnold.  Manhertz remains as our blocking tight end.  Farrell stays as a low cost game day inactive, a developmental player, and backup blocking tight end.  I don't see a roster spot for O'Shaugnessy.  Ditto for Hollister.

Cann didn't look good last year and has already been upgraded with Bartch.  Norwell didn't play anywhere near his salary.  I think we try to upgrade with someone else.  Damien Wilson was actually pretty good value last year, but I think we also try to upgrade this position.  Jihad Ward never impressed me.  Taven Bryan had a couple of good games, but overall, did little to earn another year.  I tell Herndon not to let the door hit him on the way out.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2022, 02:28 PM by DTWD4∞.)

(01-17-2022, 01:35 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: Cam Robinson and D.J. Chark are the only ones where I would offer significant money.  However, most of our free agents are low priced players.  You aren't going to have stars at 53 roster spots.  You need some low cost players to serve as depth.  Assuming they are willing to accept pay in the same range as they made last year, I would likely make offers to:

• Tyler Shatley (Quality depth that represented less than 1% of last year's salary cap.)
  • Adam Gotsis (Rotational player/depth who represented less than 0.5% of last year's salary cap.)
  • Laquon Treadwell (Veteran minimum salary who represented less than 0.25% of salary cap.  He probably doesn't even make the team this year with upgrades that I would do, but I would still bring him back in case of injuries, if nothing else.)
  • Andrew Wingard (Cisco should start, but I would keep Wingard for depth and special teams.)
  • Will Richardson (This one is more questionable, but if he's very low cost, I may keep him for depth.  If it's between him and a late draft pick at the bottom of the depth chart protecting Trevor, I would likely go with Richardson.  You can't upgrade everything in one year)

I likely let O'Shaugnessy go.  It's supposed to be a good draft for tight ends.  I think we get one in the mid-rounds to pair with Arnold.  Manhertz remains as our blocking tight end.  Farrell stays as a low cost game day inactive, a developmental player, and backup blocking tight end.  I don't see a roster spot for O'Shaugnessy.  Ditto for Hollister.

Cann didn't look good last year and has already been upgraded with Bartch.  Norwell didn't play anywhere near his salary.  I think we try to upgrade with someone else.  Damien Wilson was actually pretty good value last year, but I think we also try to upgrade this position.  Jihad Ward never impressed me.  Taven Bryan had a couple of good games, but overall, did little to earn another year.  I tell Herndon not to let the door hit him on the way out.

That's a pretty good assessment for most of it. I disagree with Wingard though. Between Jenkins, Daniels and Cisco we only need one more Safety that could possibly be filled by Ford but doubt it. That means we get one in the draft or sign a FA. 

Then in FA/ Draft we address IOL, ILB, RT (midround pick), Edge, S and CB. But most importantly WR, especially in the draft. Also a kicker in 6th or 7th round.  So that is at least 3 OLine, 1-2 ILB, 1 on the Edge a minimum of 2 WR plus 1 S and 1 CB and kicker. 11 picks as far as draft. We currently have 12 picks so trades are hoped for. JMO

I definitely wouldn’t let Robinson and Norwell walk. Neither of them a great, but I think it is unlikely we upgrade both this year. My preference is to keep Robinson.

Definitely would resign Shatley and let him compete at center/ guard.

I like the idea of keeping Richardson due to his position flexibility, but it depends on his market and if Robinson is returning.

DJ Chark is an absolute must to resign. Great teammate and really good player. I don’t think he is looking for number 1 money. He is someone I would overpay if I’m trying to show I reward my good players. Our franchise needs some rehab on this. He is the perfect player to point towards.

Treadwell was a nice surprise this year. I would bring him back again to see if he can build in a better environment.

Bring back Gotsis, Wilson, and Wingard as quality depth/ spot starters. I don’t think the cost for these players will be significant.

The rest haven’t stood out in a positive way to me. If any of them are kept or go elsewhere, that’s fine.

(This post was last modified: 01-17-2022, 05:00 PM by ATLjag. Edited 1 time in total.)

Re-sign:
Chark- a solid young #2 coming off sub-performing seasons, that likely will not command #1 money.
Shatley- reliable and experienced inside backup that will be inexpensive.
Gotsis- minimum player that plays adequately in the DL rotation.
Richardson- decent game day active guy that backs up both G and T spots for minimum.

Notable let leaves:
Robinson- drafted Little to replace him last year; sign a less costly RT or draft one.
O'Shag- easily replaceable.
Treadwell- showed OK late on horrible group; easily upgraded.
Norwell- would re-sign if low money than what he likely gets offered.
Cann- replaceable.

I want to keep Chark too, but we cannot count on him to be a top 2 WR for us. We must sign and draft, at least one of each, that will be an upgrade on DJ.

A WR corps of something like Kirk, Dotson, Chark, Cedrick Wilson, MJJ, Viska would be a good start.

(01-17-2022, 05:29 PM)Upper Wrote: I want to keep Chark too, but we cannot count on him to be a top 2 WR for us. We must sign and draft, at least one of each, that will be an upgrade on DJ.

A WR corps of something like Kirk, Dotson, Chark, Cedrick Wilson, MJJ, Viska would be a good start.

Niether Kirk or Wilson is better than Chark.  They are both good numbers 3 WRs.  I'd rather spend in FA else where than sign either of those guys. We don't need any more of those guys.  They aren't better than MJJ either

Only Chalk at a one year prove it deal. Everyone else is avg. Never pay up for avg.
You know you're dealing with a belief system when you get an emotional response. 

(01-16-2022, 09:40 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-16-2022, 09:34 PM)Newton Wrote: How do we feel about a 4-5 year deal for Cam Robinson that is relatively high money, but with a caveat that there will be a competition for left tackle?

I like little as LT

I'd just make him one of the top 10 (maybe top 12)  paid RTs in the league and put in incentives if he ends up playing more than 50% of the snaps at LT each year. That way, if he beats out Little or fills in due to injury, he's paid accordingly. 

Plenty of RTs making 10mil per year and up nowadays

If we fire Baalke, I'm nominating you as a candidate for replacement.

(01-17-2022, 12:47 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Okay i'm just going to ask.. Why the hell would you want Oshag back? Outside of maybe Shenault that man has probably dropped more passes than anyone else.

He's not going to command a fortune. You would be wise to have 90 on the roster going into the preseason, and you're not going to have 80% churn on a roster from one season to next. A lot of the bottom of the roster guys will likely get a modest offer to stick around and make the final 53. It's not a promise to start. It's just a chance to see if he has anything to bring to the table for whoever will be running the new offense.

I'd say a bigger criticism is injury history, but again, not gonna break the bank for the dude, but we've wasted far more money on much bigger disappointments at that very position.