Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2 ways to fix left tackle and center position..

Draft Evan Neal and sign center Bradley Boozeman from FA.. Boozeman played himself a free agent with no sacks allowed the only hits allowed were on Lamar Jacksons carries..

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2022, 01:51 AM by TheDogCatcher.)

(01-21-2022, 07:22 PM)chris hill Wrote: Draft Evan Neal and sign center Bradley Boozeman from FA.. Boozeman played himself a free agent with no sacks allowed the only hits allowed were on Lamar Jacksons carries..

Or insert Greg Little and Tyler Shatley. 

Right tackle is the more glaring hole.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(01-21-2022, 07:22 PM)chris hill Wrote: Draft Evan Neal and sign center Bradley Boozeman from FA.. Boozeman played himself a free agent with no sacks allowed the only hits allowed were on Lamar Jacksons carries..

If we draft Evan Neal, he'll be a RT and I'll be done with the Jags.

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2022, 07:09 AM by Caldrac. Edited 2 times in total.)

(01-22-2022, 02:32 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

If we draft Evan Neal, he'll be a RT and I'll be done with the Jags.

Agreed. Me and you sound like broken records on this already. It's hilarious. 

This team has a ton of areas to address. And, while I'll agree that keeping Lawrence on his feet at all times and protected is always the top priority. The reality is that they already have serviceable options on this roster to fill that need. 

There's no reason you draft Neal with the number one overall pick to play a position of lesser value at RT when you can upgrade a clear need at DE with a player of higher overall value and potential playing at his already natural position. 

This team only had 32 sacks last year during a 17 game season. Allen led the team with 7.5 and Smoot was in 2nd place not too far behind him with 6.0. Keep in mind now, that, this was on a unit that was 5th in blitzes, or, outside efforts being made beyond the trenches to get after the QB. 

So, again, they clearly need to get better at attacking the QB and getting consistently in the backfield in 2022. 

Tag Robinson at LT. Make him compete with your 2nd RD investment in Little for the job from last year. Loser of that battle then takes on Taylor for his job at RT. Loser of that battle goes to Guard or ends up on the trading block, if the rumors are true that Taylor is too prideful to make the move. 

The bigger concerns are Linder and Norwell due to age, cap and injuries. I think ideally you would love to see this team orchestrate a trade that results in them drafting Linderbaum at Center but it seems unlikely at this point in time. So, in that case? Maybe look at a guy like Brandon Scherff to replace Norwell. If not Scherff. Laken Tomlinson. Ryan Jensen is really the only Center being talked about for March at this time. 

These guys above though only offer really a short term solution as they're already nearing 30 or are right at 30 years of age. So, deal wise you're probably looking at a 2 - 3 year deal. Which gives you time to add youth to develop or to at least focus your draft efforts at stronger positions of need/value in April. 

Also, again, depending on the next coach, his offensive style/system. There's a good chance that this team is able to establish an identity that alleviates a lot of the problems and elevates a specific group for this offense that suffered from a number of issues last year due to imbalances with bad coaching, bad personnel decisions, injuries and lack of concentration.

Are they going to ask Lawrence to drop back 700 times in a 17 game season or 500 times in a 17 game season? Are they going to try and actually get more than 300 carries in 2017 from the RB's group or fall short of that mark again?
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2022, 07:45 AM by SeldomRite. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-22-2022, 07:04 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-22-2022, 02:32 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: If we draft Evan Neal, he'll be a RT and I'll be done with the Jags.

Agreed. Me and you sound like broken records on this already. It's hilarious. 

This team has a ton of areas to address. And, while I'll agree that keeping Lawrence on his feet at all times and protected is always the top priority. The reality is that they already have serviceable options on this roster to fill that need. 

There's no reason you draft Neal with the number one overall pick to play a position of lesser value at RT when you can upgrade a clear need at DE with a player of higher overall value and potential playing at his already natural position. 

This team only had 32 sacks last year during a 17 game season. Allen led the team with 7.5 and Smoot was in 2nd place not too far behind him with 6.0. Keep in mind now, that, this was on a unit that was 5th in blitzes, or, outside efforts being made beyond the trenches to get after the QB. 

So, again, they clearly need to get better at attacking the QB and getting consistently in the backfield in 2022. 

Tag Robinson at LT. Make him compete with your 2nd RD investment in Little for the job from last year. Loser of that battle then takes on Taylor for his job at RT. Loser of that battle goes to Guard or ends up on the trading block, if the rumors are true that Taylor is too prideful to make the move. 

The bigger concerns are Linder and Norwell due to age, cap and injuries. I think ideally you would love to see this team orchestrate a trade that results in them drafting Linderbaum at Center but it seems unlikely at this point in time. So, in that case? Maybe look at a guy like Brandon Scherff to replace Norwell. If not Scherff. Laken Tomlinson. Ryan Jensen is really the only Center being talked about for March at this time. 

These guys above though only offer really a short term solution as they're already nearing 30 or are right at 30 years of age. So, deal wise you're probably looking at a 2 - 3 year deal. Which gives you time to add youth to develop or to at least focus your draft efforts at stronger positions of need/value in April. 

Also, again, depending on the next coach, his offensive style/system. There's a good chance that this team is able to establish an identity that alleviates a lot of the problems and elevates a specific group for this offense that suffered from a number of issues last year due to imbalances with bad coaching, bad personnel decisions, injuries and lack of concentration.

Are they going to ask Lawrence to drop back 700 times in a 17 game season or 500 times in a 17 game season? Are they going to try and actually get more than 300 carries in 2017 from the RB's group or fall short of that mark again?

The draft isn't about need, it's about having the chance to take great players. If Neal is a Boselli/Ogden and the pass rushers aren't on that level then take Neal. There isn't a team in the league that doesn't need elite players along the offensive line. Also the main reason the Jaguars were so bad in pass rushing last year may have been related to trailing constantly. Having a functioning offense would probably help a lot.

You take tha guy from Oregon here and hopefully he is a beast. Then you get back to fixing the o-line and wr problem

(01-22-2022, 07:36 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(01-22-2022, 07:04 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Agreed. Me and you sound like broken records on this already. It's hilarious. 

The draft isn't about need, it's about having the chance to take great players. If Neal is a Boselli/Ogden and the pass rushers aren't on that level then take Neal. There isn't a team in the league that doesn't need elite players along the offensive line. Also the main reason the Jaguars were so bad in pass rushing last year may have been related to trailing constantly. Having a functioning offense would probably help a lot.

That's the problem. Neal has not been touted as the next Boselli/Ogden/Munoz. Otherwise I am all for it. That's why I said you take the DE that has more value there while also addressing a need. Makes no sense on paper to take a guy No. 1 overall, move him from left to right, when, you already invested in Walker Little the previous year and you can get away with tagging Robinson who was serviceable. 

Taylor's a weak link. We all know that. That's why you force Robinson or Little to compete for that role and move the loser to Guard. 

While I'll agree that trailing didn't help last year. (Cited the imbalances above). That still doesn't make up for the fact that you still need and want a dominate pass rusher off the edge to command double teams. They had opportunities in first halves to get after the QB, they didn't get it done. Again, they were 5th overall in blitzes called last year. They didn't hit home enough.

That's the point. All of a sudden, if you add a guy like Hutchinson or Thibodeaux, and, you're keeping Cullen here and he's aggressive like he was last year? All of a sudden you might have three pass rushers on this team with 8.0+ sacks each or Josh Allen turns into a double digit monster on his side of the field, etc.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-22-2022, 07:04 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Tag Robinson at LT. Make him compete with your 2nd RD investment in Little for the job from last year. Loser of that battle then takes on Taylor for his job at RT. Loser of that battle goes to Guard or ends up on the trading block, if the rumors are true that Taylor is too prideful to make the move. 

I'm all for competition when it's true competition and not the Tlaw/Minshew joke from last year, but if there is anything we've learned about the playing LT/RT dynamic it's that it can easily be done but it takes some time to transition. Letting them battle for LT and then having Cam switch over (because make no mistake Little is better) with less time to prepare for the position is not wise to me.

In like 4 total games last year Little had two starts better than any Cam had in 5 years. Day 1 of the franchise tag window I tag Cam and tell him to start working on RT. He'll raise hell because no one wants to get tagged twice and no one wants to switch positions in a contract year, so we'll tell him he can look for trade partners and we'll agree not to tag him again. But no one will offer a quality RT in trade so he's left without any options and plays RT for us for a season before moving on.

Then we draft one of the Raimann/Kinnard/Faalele trio at 33 or Mitchell at 65 or 70 and let them develop to be our RT of the future.

That's my plan.

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2022, 09:19 AM by SeldomRite. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-22-2022, 08:33 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-22-2022, 07:36 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: The draft isn't about need, it's about having the chance to take great players. If Neal is a Boselli/Ogden and the pass rushers aren't on that level then take Neal. There isn't a team in the league that doesn't need elite players along the offensive line. Also the main reason the Jaguars were so bad in pass rushing last year may have been related to trailing constantly. Having a functioning offense would probably help a lot.

That's the problem. Neal has not been touted as the next Boselli/Ogden/Munoz. Otherwise I am all for it. That's why I said you take the DE that has more value there while also addressing a need. Makes no sense on paper to take a guy No. 1 overall, move him from left to right, when, you already invested in Walker Little the previous year and you can get away with tagging Robinson who was serviceable. 

Taylor's a weak link. We all know that. That's why you force Robinson or Little to compete for that role and move the loser to Guard. 

While I'll agree that trailing didn't help last year. (Cited the imbalances above). That still doesn't make up for the fact that you still need and want a dominate pass rusher off the edge to command double teams. They had opportunities in first halves to get after the QB, they didn't get it done. Again, they were 5th overall in blitzes called last year. They didn't hit home enough.

That's the point. All of a sudden, if you add a guy like Hutchinson or Thibodeaux, and, you're keeping Cullen here and he's aggressive like he was last year? All of a sudden you might have three pass rushers on this team with 8.0+ sacks each or Josh Allen turns into a double digit monster on his side of the field, etc.

Essentially it all comes back to evaluating players. I don't like what I've seen of Hutchinson's ability. Looks way too stiff to succeed as an elite pass rusher, to me, but maybe Thibodeaux can be it. Either way we need a good GM that can separate the elite guys from the guys who just had a lot of stats against college level players. I get the feeling Hutchinson is one of the latter, which only leaves Neal and Thibodeaux. I wouldn't be upset if they go Neal and either let Cam walk, or just figure out how to get all three guys on the field.

Another thing that is worth thinking about is even if the Jaguars want Cam around, does he want to stick around or is he going to force his way out of town by exhausting the franchise tag? If either side doesn't want to do a long term deal then suddenly Neal fills a massive need, too.

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2022, 09:33 AM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-22-2022, 09:17 AM)Upper Wrote:
(01-22-2022, 07:04 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Tag Robinson at LT. Make him compete with your 2nd RD investment in Little for the job from last year. Loser of that battle then takes on Taylor for his job at RT. Loser of that battle goes to Guard or ends up on the trading block, if the rumors are true that Taylor is too prideful to make the move. 

I'm all for competition when it's true competition and not the Tlaw/Minshew joke from last year, but if there is anything we've learned about the playing LT/RT dynamic it's that it can easily be done but it takes some time to transition. Letting them battle for LT and then having Cam switch over (because make no mistake Little is better) with less time to prepare for the position is not wise to me.

In like 4 total games last year Little had two starts better than any Cam had in 5 years. Day 1 of the franchise tag window I tag Cam and tell him to start working on RT. He'll raise hell because no one wants to get tagged twice and no one wants to switch positions in a contract year, so we'll tell him he can look for trade partners and we'll agree not to tag him again. But no one will offer a quality RT in trade so he's left without any options and plays RT for us for a season before moving on.

Then we draft one of the Raimann/Kinnard/Faalele trio at 33 or Mitchell at 65 or 70 and let them develop to be our RT of the future.

That's my plan.

That's a similar path I would take. However. I don't think you would even have to invest that 2nd RD or a 3rd RD pick on a guy to develop at RT. I think there's some good prospects to be had in the 4th RD. Kellen Diesch from Arizona State, Tyler Vrabel from Boston College (Mike Vrabel's son, btw) or even my boy out of Georgia, Jamaree Salyer. He might rise though due to the National Championship win. One more guy I like is Luke Goedeke out of Central Michigan as well. 

Good chance one of those guys listed above is there at 97 or 142. Also, they have 12 picks in total in this draft so far. A pair of 3rd RD pick's and then four additional picks in the 6th RD with another pair of selections in RD7. Good chance they can package up a few of those picks to sneak back into RD3 to get a guy they like with starting potential.

Sign Trent Brown. He's better than Cam and is a RT, Cam isn't worth the tag and Little needs to be the LT. Brown is a damb good RT and a good run and pass blocker

(01-22-2022, 10:39 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Sign Trent Brown.  He's better than Cam and is a RT,  Cam isn't worth the tag and Little needs to be the LT.  Brown is a damb good RT and a good run and pass blocker

I don't know about that. I think you have to be careful with Walker Little as well as Cam Robinson. We only saw Little in a handful of games. How well is his knee going to hold up during a 17 game season? How well will he hold up in general? 

Robinson isn't worth the tag, in your eyes. My question to you is, who do you tag instead? Chark? I think this team needs to try and keep players around that are at least serviceable and were 2nd RD selections. 

I wouldn't give up on Robinson until he clearly shows the inability to get it done at LT, RT and even G. Again, if he doesn't like being tagged or moved to another position? Fine. Trade him. But, at least try. Also, your boy, Trent Brown? He's also had a bad record and string of luck with staying healthy. 

He missed 5 games in 2019, only played in 5 games in 2020 and then he only played in 9 games last year. He's been bounced around between New England, Oakland/Las Vegas and then back to New England as well. 

Not a guaranteed upgrade. Again, best ability sometimes is availability.

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2022, 11:52 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(01-22-2022, 07:36 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(01-22-2022, 07:04 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Agreed. Me and you sound like broken records on this already. It's hilarious. 

He's not. Not even close.

(01-22-2022, 09:17 AM)Upper Wrote:

That's my plan.

That's my guy. He has played both LT and RT at a high level, so he can start at RT and if Little ever gets injured, he can slide over to the LT spot if need. I love the versatility he offers. I want to draft a guy with LT experience, so we can do this if injuries occur.

(01-22-2022, 09:18 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(01-22-2022, 08:33 AM)Caldrac Wrote: That's the problem. Neal has not been touted as the next Boselli/Ogden/Munoz. Otherwise I am all for it. That's why I said you take the DE that has more value there while also addressing a need. Makes no sense on paper to take a guy No. 1 overall, move him from left to right, when, you already invested in Walker Little the previous year and you can get away with tagging Robinson who was serviceable. 

Essentially it all comes back to evaluating players. I don't like what I've seen of Hutchinson's ability. Looks way too stiff to succeed as an elite pass rusher, to me, but maybe Thibodeaux can be it. Either way we need a good GM that can separate the elite guys from the guys who just had a lot of stats against college level players. I get the feeling Hutchinson is one of the latter, which only leaves Neal and Thibodeaux. I wouldn't be upset if they go Neal and either let Cam walk, or just figure out how to get all three guys on the field.

Another thing that is worth thinking about is even if the Jaguars want Cam around, does he want to stick around or is he going to force his way out of town by exhausting the franchise tag? If either side doesn't want to do a long term deal then suddenly Neal fills a massive need, too.

We'd only be using the tag on Robinson this season. We'd then look for his replacement in 2023 when hopefully, the OT would be much better. This is just a very weak OT class in this draft. No one stands out.

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2022, 12:00 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 3 times in total.)

(01-22-2022, 11:28 AM)Caldrac Wrote:
(01-22-2022, 10:39 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Sign Trent Brown.  He's better than Cam and is a RT,  Cam isn't worth the tag and Little needs to be the LT.  Brown is a damb good RT and a good run and pass blocker

I don't know about that. I think you have to be careful with Walker Little as well as Cam Robinson. We only saw Little in a handful of games. How well is his knee going to hold up during a 17 game season? How well will he hold up in general? 

Robinson isn't worth the tag, in your eyes. My question to you is, who do you tag instead? Chark? I think this team needs to try and keep players around that are at least serviceable and were 2nd RD selections. 

I wouldn't give up on Robinson until he clearly shows the inability to get it done at LT, RT and even G. Again, if he doesn't like being tagged or moved to another position? Fine. Trade him. But, at least try. Also, your boy, Trent Brown? He's also had a bad record and string of luck with staying healthy. 

He missed 5 games in 2019, only played in 5 games in 2020 and then he only played in 9 games last year. He's been bounced around between New England, Oakland/Las Vegas and then back to New England as well. 

Little will be more than a couple years coming off the ACL, he will be 100%  Id rather use the money that we could use to sign Cam towards giving Brandon Sherff a contract.  Last year Brown he got covid and then had an issue with an IV in 2020, he had a calf injury and ended up actually having one of his best seasons.  Brown is proven at RT, Cam would be an unknown there.  Brown has also bee a better tackle than Cam .

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2022, 11:58 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

He got beaten badly in the Buffalo playoff game.

(01-22-2022, 11:55 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-22-2022, 11:28 AM)Caldrac Wrote: I don't know about that. I think you have to be careful with Walker Little as well as Cam Robinson. We only saw Little in a handful of games. How well is his knee going to hold up during a 17 game season? How well will he hold up in general? 

Little will be more than a couple years coming off the ACL, he will be 100%  Id rather use the money that we could use to sign Cam towards giving Brandon Sherff a contract.  Last year Brown he got covid and then had an issue with an IV in 2020, he wasn't injured that I know of and actually had one of his best seasons.  Brown is proven at RT, Cam would be an unknown there.  Brown has also bee a better tackle than Cam .

That's a fantasy. Scherff isn't gonna want to come here.

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2022, 12:05 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-22-2022, 11:56 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

He got beaten badly in the Buffalo playoff game.

(01-22-2022, 11:55 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Little will be more than a couple years coming off the ACL, he will be 100%  Id rather use the money that we could use to sign Cam towards giving Brandon Sherff a contract.  Last year Brown he got covid and then had an issue with an IV in 2020, he wasn't injured that I know of and actually had one of his best seasons.  Brown is proven at RT, Cam would be an unknown there.  Brown has also bee a better tackle than Cam .

I've seen Cam get beat badly in many games.  Trent has been a better tackle than Cam and I don't think it's that close.  Buffalo's defense is the reason they lost that game, I dont remember seeing NE tackles getting destroyed, Mac was just a rookie and the defense didn't make them punt 1 time.   Did you talk to Scherff?  Lulz, you have zero clue where he would be willing to play.

They have Brown proj a 2 yr. 25 mil. I would do that all day. Cam didn't make the top 10

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2022-nfl-fr...ve-tackles

(01-22-2022, 12:03 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-22-2022, 11:56 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: He got beaten badly in the Buffalo playoff game.

I've seen Cam get beat badly in many games.  Trent has been a better tackle than Cam and I don't think it's that close.  Buffalo's defense is the reason they lost that game, I dont remember seeing NE tackles getting destroyed, Mac was just a rookie and the defense didn't make them punt 1 time.   Did you talk to Scherff?  Lulz, you have zero clue where he would be willing to play.

This team looks like the place veteran players go to ruin their career. Our team is a mess! Why would anyone want to come here if they had other options? We're certainly not winning anytime soon, our reputation around the league for how we deal with players is about as low as it can get and our owner makes the same staffing mistakes over and over. It's like running a run down, road side diner that keeps getting shut down by the health department and expecting to hire a 5 star chef. It isn't gonna happen. Come back to reality.

Sunshine ^^

(01-22-2022, 12:10 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-22-2022, 12:03 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I've seen Cam get beat badly in many games.  Trent has been a better tackle than Cam and I don't think it's that close.  Buffalo's defense is the reason they lost that game, I dont remember seeing NE tackles getting destroyed, Mac was just a rookie and the defense didn't make them punt 1 time.   Did you talk to Scherff?  Lulz, you have zero clue where he would be willing to play.

This team looks like the place veteran players go to ruin their career. Our team is a mess! Why would anyone want to come here if they had other options? We're certainly not winning anytime soon, our reputation around the league for how we deal with players is about as low as it can get and our owner makes the same staffing mistakes over and over. It's like running a run down, road side diner that keeps getting shut down by the health department and expecting to hire a 5 star chef. It isn't gonna happen. Come back to reality.
People said the same thing the year we got Bouye, Campbell, and Church.  Those veterans had their beat seasons here.  This team isn't a mess, the coaching and GM is.  We are about to hire a new coach and still a  good chance Baalke will be gone.  Our defense is already decent and good be even better with Thibs or Hutch and Trev will be going into his 2nd year and his last game showed what he can do.  If we have another good draft and get Trev a little better oline help and WR help this team could be much better nest year.  Not to mention money talks and we have more cap than any team in the league.