Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2 ways to fix left tackle and center position..

(01-23-2022, 01:43 AM)navyjagfan Wrote:
(01-22-2022, 12:18 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: People said the same thing the year we got Bouye, Campbell, and Church.  Those veterans had their beat seasons here.  This team isn't a mess, the coaching and GM is.  We are about to hire a new coach and still a  good chance Baalke will be gone.  Our defense is already decent and good be even better with Thibs or Hutch and Trev will be going into his 2nd year and his last game showed what he can do.  If we have another good draft and get Trev a little better oline help and WR help this team could be much better nest year.  Not to mention money talks and we have more cap than any team in the league.

Not quite true - we do not have more cap space than any other team in 2022, the Dolphins do.  But we're a close 2nd in cap space, even with a ton of dead money from bad draft picks and free agent signings.  

The Jags also can jettison some underperforming players like Roy-Robertson Harris, Chris Manhertz, etc. to free up additional cap space if they want to bring back DJ Chark AND Allen Robinson or something.

If the Jaguars want more cap space, Linder would be the likeliest target.  The Jaguars would save over $9.6 million in cap space with no dead money by cutting him.  That move alone would put the Jaguars in the top spot in terms of most cap space.  I'd also mention Myles Jack.  Some people think we should trade him as he doesn't fit our scheme.  If so, that's also significant cap savings.  Those are really the only two who I could see from a salary cap perspective.  If we cut others, it would be driven primarily by performance.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-23-2022, 02:53 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(01-23-2022, 01:43 AM)navyjagfan Wrote: Not quite true - we do not have more cap space than any other team in 2022, the Dolphins do.  But we're a close 2nd in cap space, even with a ton of dead money from bad draft picks and free agent signings.  

The Jags also can jettison some underperforming players like Roy-Robertson Harris, Chris Manhertz, etc. to free up additional cap space if they want to bring back DJ Chark AND Allen Robinson or something.

If the Jaguars want more cap space, Linder would be the likeliest target.  The Jaguars would save over $9.6 million in cap space with no dead money by cutting him.  That move alone would put the Jaguars in the top spot in terms of most cap space.  I'd also mention Myles Jack.  Some people think we should trade him as he doesn't fit our scheme.  If so, that's also significant cap savings.  Those are really the only two who I could see from a salary cap perspective.  If we cut others, it would be driven primarily by performance.

I say it's almost a certainty we cut Linder:  He hasn't played a full season in years.  Parcells said, "the best ability is availability."  Too injury prone to be reliable.  Good player when healthy .

If we stick with the 3-4 then Myles Jack has got to be cut.   He was horrific this year.

Robertson Harris and Manhertz were bad signings.

Allen Robinson I view like Linder.  Good player when healthy but has the injury bug.  

I rather have a good player I can rely on than a great player I can't.  I do expect a mass exodus of cuts this offseason.  We are back to back worst team in the league.  It's almost a given the roster is going to have to get majorly shaken up.   If you want to rebuild culture you can't do that with half the losers sticking around.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(01-23-2022, 02:12 PM)Upper Wrote:
(01-23-2022, 01:13 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: The majority opinion on this board seems to be that we need to keep Cam. Just like you I disagree but I see plenty of people arguing for another tag etc. I don't understand it because you either get a new LT in FA if you don't like Little or you sign a new RT in FA(or draft one with pick 1) if you don't like Taylor.

So you want to give him a big, long term deal that whose AAV will be almost as high as the franchise tag? Cause that's what Cam is going to get offered from someone if we don't tag him. Those are the only two options if you want to keep him.

Yes, but I thought I was clear that I don't want to keep him. I understand you have to pay Robinson a lot to keep him but my point is I don't think he's worth it. Find a new good LT if you don't like Walker Little. Robinson isn't the answer and if he's the best available LT on the market then I'd rather give Little the chance to be the starter. 

Also, I see that some of this isn't really about the LT position but about Taylor. I agree Taylor needs to go. I strongly believe we should trade down if we don't like the pass rushers and then maybe draft Evan Neal if possible. That would be better value. The advantage of having the number one pick is quite obvious though. We don't have to care what others think. I'd rather overpay for a RT than having Taylor for one more season. If Neal is the answer then so be it. I will say that I don't really know that much about the top draft prospects so this is theoretical only.

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2022, 04:36 PM by Upper. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-23-2022, 03:41 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote:
(01-23-2022, 02:12 PM)Upper Wrote: So you want to give him a big, long term deal that whose AAV will be almost as high as the franchise tag? Cause that's what Cam is going to get offered from someone if we don't tag him. Those are the only two options if you want to keep him.

Yes, but I thought I was clear that I don't want to keep him. I understand you have to pay Robinson a lot to keep him but my point is I don't think he's worth it. Find a new good LT if you don't like Walker Little. Robinson isn't the answer and if he's the best available LT on the market then I'd rather give Little the chance to be the starter. 

Also, I see that some of this isn't really about the LT position but about Taylor. I agree Taylor needs to go. I strongly believe we should trade down if we don't like the pass rushers and then maybe draft Evan Neal if possible. That would be better value. The advantage of having the number one pick is quite obvious though. We don't have to care what others think. I'd rather overpay for a RT than having Taylor for one more season. If Neal is the answer then so be it. I will say that I don't really know that much about the top draft prospects so this is theoretical only.

Yeah, we like Little we want Cam to replace Jawaan. Using the #1 overall pick just to replace Cam just doesn't make sense to me. We don't need to create a hole just to fill it with our most elite asset.

Overpaying Cam by little bit for one season on the franchise tag while we develop the RT of the future that we draft in round 3 or so seems like the most wise option.

(01-23-2022, 04:29 PM)Upper Wrote:
(01-23-2022, 03:41 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: Yes, but I thought I was clear that I don't want to keep him. I understand you have to pay Robinson a lot to keep him but my point is I don't think he's worth it. Find a new good LT if you don't like Walker Little. Robinson isn't the answer and if he's the best available LT on the market then I'd rather give Little the chance to be the starter. 

Yeah, we like Little we want Cam to replace Jawaan. Using the #1 overall pick just to replace Cam just doesn't make sense to me. We don't need to create a hole just to fill it with our most elite asset.

Overpaying Cam by little bit for one season on the franchise tag while we develop the RT of the future that we draft in round 3 or so seems like the most wise option.

the more i see you guys suggesting we stay clear of Evan Neal appears to be the most logical scenario.

I believe we need to trade down though... i don't believe those 2 DE's are going to be worth #1 overall either.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-23-2022, 04:48 PM)MJonesD_32 Wrote: the more i see you guys suggesting we stay clear of Evan Neal appears to be the most logical scenario.

It's not even that I'm terribly opposed to Neal (or Ekwonu/Cross), we just have a viable in house option to fix the RT problem and all we have to do is spend a small chunk of the gobs of cap space we have on it. Then we can use our elite asset to fill EDGE.

If it were flipped and we had a viable tag candidate at EDGE and a gaping hole at OT without a clear option to fix then Neal would make a lot more sense.

(01-22-2022, 02:32 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-21-2022, 07:22 PM)chris hill Wrote: Draft Evan Neal and sign center Bradley Boozeman from FA.. Boozeman played himself a free agent with no sacks allowed the only hits allowed were on Lamar Jacksons carries..

If we draft Evan Neal, he'll be a RT and I'll be done with the Jags.

You were the first person I woulda thought would advocate selecting neal.

(01-23-2022, 05:34 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(01-22-2022, 02:32 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: If we draft Evan Neal, he'll be a RT and I'll be done with the Jags.

You were the first person I woulda thought would advocate selecting neal.

No. I don't just want any OT, I want a good one. I've been advocating drafting an OT in the first round for years and now that this OT class is the worst I've seen in several years, watch us do just that to tick me off. I wouldn't touch any OT in this class until round 3. There are much better players at other positions. Take the BAP.