Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
SI Mock

I really think something like this could happen.

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/mocks/2022-...irst-round

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-22-2022, 03:03 AM)MIJagsFan Wrote: I really think something like this could happen.

Why? I believe the Giants will be able to get Pickett at pick #5 or even #7. I certainly wouldn't trade down to select Ekwonu. I have him as a pure OG. I don't see him as an NFL OT at all. IMO, if you play him at LT, he's a cross between Isaiah Wynn and Charles Leno. He'd be ok, but he's certainly isn't worth a top 5 pick. As an OG, I think he has a chance to be very good. I really like Ojabo, but he's still raw. I think he may take 2-3 seasons in the NFL to get really good. He has good upside, but you need to be patient with him. 

If I trade down to #5 and #7, I'm selecting the top guys on my board. I go Ahmad Gardner and Kyle Hamilton. I might even go Tyler Linderbaum.

I would actually be happy with this trade, I wouldn’t however go with those players selected. I think Linderbaum and the top WR would be my choices at 5/7.

The only other trade I would do is our 1st for all of Phillys 1st rounders.

(01-22-2022, 03:43 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-22-2022, 03:03 AM)MIJagsFan Wrote: I really think something like this could happen.

Why? I believe the Giants will be able to get Pickett at pick #5 or even #7. I certainly wouldn't trade down to select Ekwonu. I have him as a pure OG. I don't see him as an NFL OT at all. IMO, if you play him at LT, he's a cross between Isaiah Wynn and Charles Leno. He'd be ok, but he's certainly isn't worth a top 5 pick. As an OG, I think he has a chance to be very good. I really like Ojabo, but he's still raw. I think he may take 2-3 seasons in the NFL to get really good. He has good upside, but you need to be patient with him. 

If I trade down to #5 and #7, I'm selecting the top guys on my board. I go Ahmad Gardner and Kyle Hamilton. I might even go Tyler Linderbaum.

Gardner? Yes But Hamilton no. Linderbaum at 5. And if not Gardner at 7 then the top WR for me unless we trade that one back for more picks

I like the trade and believe it is a possibility if Pickett lights it up at the Senior Bowl and combine. If Pickett clearly separates himself from the other quarterbacks, the Giants might be afraid of another team moving up and "stealing" him before their pick at #5. Pickett is certainly not worth the number 1 pick, but teams in need of a quarterback often do stupid things.

While I like the trade, I don't agree with the selection of Ojabo at 7. He does not have a complete skill-set due to his weakness stopping the run. How much of his success is due to opponents double-teaming Hutchinson? The 2022 draft class is loaded with promising Edge rushers and the Jaguars could wait until rounds 2 or even 3 to get one. Cameron Thomas is the one I prefer at this point because he is very versatile and was constantly pressuring the quarterback. Rather than taking Ojabo, I'd absolutely take a wide receiver at pick 7. This is the team's greatest need so why not take the player you have rated highest at this position? Williams, Wilson, London and Burks appear to be the top 4 at this time with Olave and Dotson slightly behind. Any one of those 4 receivers would likely become the Jaguars #1 so why wait until the 2nd round and be forced to take your 6th or 7th favorite at this position? Even if they sign Godwin, Gallup or Williams in free agency, I'd still take a receiver at 7.

The selection of Ekwonu at 5 would be fine. Many say he'd have to play inside at the NFL level, but the same was said about Rashawn Slater. If not for Jamar Chase, he'd be in contention for ROY. He and Evan Neal would both be good selections since the offensive line has been neglected for way too long. Ekwonu would bring an attitude to the offensive line and I do like his versatility so he'd be my preference.

Depending on the next hire with the Giants. It's possible they may want to trade up and start over with a new QB. Carolina and Washington are also in a similar situation. Again, though, I agree with a few folks on here. This is not really a strong QB class. One of these guys is going to essentially have to get A+ and triple check marks in a wide variety of areas for these teams to justify giving up anything to get our top spot.

In this trade scenario though? Not going to lie. If they actually made that deal with the Giants and gained the 5th and 7th overall picks for the 1st overall pick? WOW. That's all I can say. WOW. I would probably jump through my ceiling on the opening night. However, not a fan of these selections though with these picks in this mock. LOL.

Some of you might not like what I am about to say but with that No. 5 overall selection? I am not passing up on Kyle Hamilton at FS for an OT there. Just can't do it. Pairing Hamilton on the back end of our secondary with Cisco seems like a win-win on paper to me. If Cullen is maintained and they continue to shore up the front seven via free agency or later on in the draft with his blitzing mentality? You WANT ball hawks with closing speed back there as your last line of defense.

I would be extremely pissed off if they passed up on Hamilton in this scenario. Now, with that 7th overall pick. Would I rather gamble on a muddy OT position this early? Or? Take that [BLEEP] Center in Linderbaum out of Iowa to pair up with Lawrence for the next decade where I can officially move Linder off the roster for good or kick his [BLEEP] inside to RG for a year before cutting him? Again, I cannot justify passing up on THE best Safety and THE best Center (If not, arguably, the best overall offensive lineman in this draft) for an OT and DE that benefited from Hutchinson's presence last year.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(01-22-2022, 11:33 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: I like the trade and believe it is a possibility if Pickett lights it up at the Senior Bowl and combine. If Pickett clearly separates himself from the other quarterbacks, the Giants might be afraid of another team moving up and "stealing" him before their pick at #5. Pickett is certainly not worth the number 1 pick, but teams in need of a quarterback often do stupid things.

While I like the trade, I don't agree with the selection of Ojabo at 7. He does not have a complete skill-set due to his weakness stopping the run. How much of his success is due to opponents double-teaming Hutchinson? The 2022 draft class is loaded with promising Edge rushers and the Jaguars could wait until rounds 2 or even 3 to get one. Cameron Thomas is the one I prefer at this point because he is very versatile and was constantly pressuring the quarterback. Rather than taking Ojabo, I'd absolutely take a wide receiver at pick 7. This is the team's greatest need so why not take the player you have rated highest at this position? Williams, Wilson, London and Burks appear to be the top 4 at this time with Olave and Dotson slightly behind. Any one of those 4 receivers would likely become the Jaguars #1 so why wait until the 2nd round and be forced to take your 6th or 7th favorite at this position? Even if they sign Godwin, Gallup or Williams in free agency, I'd still take a receiver at 7.

The selection of Ekwonu at 5 would be fine. Many say he'd have to play inside at the NFL level, but the same was said about Rashawn Slater. If not for Jamar Chase, he'd be in contention for ROY. He and Evan Neal would both be good selections since the offensive line has been neglected for way too long. Ekwonu would bring an attitude to the offensive line and I do like his versatility so he'd be my preference.

Evan Neal is the most overrated player in this draft. Hard pass.

If the Giants trade either or both of those picks it will be for Russell Wilson not a rookie QB.

I wasnt talking about the players selected, i was meaning the picks. I think something like this could happen. It seems every year a QB is taken high because of the need and fear of other teams. Maybe someone wants to jump the Lions and snag him.

I’d love the Giants 5+7. I’m spending it on Ekwonu/Neal/Cross and then Drake London or Garrett Wilson

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2022, 09:22 AM by rfc17.)

(01-23-2022, 04:31 AM)MIJagsFan Wrote: I wasnt talking about the players selected, i was meaning the picks. I think something like this could happen. It seems every year a QB is taken high because of the need and fear of other teams. Maybe someone wants to jump the Lions and snag him.

I've always thought it was a decent possibility as well.  Seems like every year there is a QB or two who get drafted much higher than we all thought come the end of the college football season.  It's far and away the most important position in the NFL.  And if you have to "reach" on a guy early in the first to make sure you get your guy you do it.  And you're right, if he blows up in workouts, and the Giants get scared that someone may jump them, then they could easily try to jump up to us.

I've wanted Linderbaum since I thought we'd be picking in the range he'd be drafted. So, I'd definitely be down to trade down, get more picks, and still get him.