Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What's the point?

I've read a few articles and tweets suggesting that Baalke will be fired after the draft. What benefit is there in doing that? My opinion is there are teams looking to hire their GMs currently so the draft argument holds little water in my opinion. Sure I'm sure he's done some work, but it's not just him the scouts have as well any new GM would get the same info from the scouts. I understand people's opinions of shad, but assuming he will be let go after the draft what logical reason am I missing?
"Don't argue with an idiot, people watching may not be able to tell the difference."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-27-2022, 01:29 AM)AlsJagsFan Wrote: I've read a few articles and tweets suggesting that Baalke will be fired after the draft. What benefit is there in doing that? My opinion is there are teams looking to hire their GMs currently so the draft argument holds little water in my opinion. Sure I'm sure he's done some work, but it's not just him the scouts have as well any new GM would get the same info from the scouts. I understand people's opinions of shad, but assuming he will be let go after the draft what logical reason am I missing?

What? That would possibly be the dumbest move in the history of the franchise, even worse than hiring Meyer. Why let Baalke screw up our draft and then fire him? That makes absolutely no sense at all. It would almost be as bad as keeping him. What good GM is gonna want to come here after the draft, when some other loser has put his draft picks on the team. I sure as hell wouldn't! Your basically stuck with those players whether you like them or not. 

I'm convinced Dave Caldwell knew he was basically out the door when he selected C.J. Henderson and K'Lavon Chaisson, so he intentionally tanked that draft as a middle finger to the team. Neither one of those picks ever made any sense to me. If we let Baalke stay only to get us through the draft and then fire him afterwards, what is to keep him from doing the same?

(01-27-2022, 01:48 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-27-2022, 01:29 AM)AlsJagsFan Wrote: I've read a few articles and tweets suggesting that Baalke will be fired after the draft. What benefit is there in doing that? My opinion is there are teams looking to hire their GMs currently so the draft argument holds little water in my opinion. Sure I'm sure he's done some work, but it's not just him the scouts have as well any new GM would get the same info from the scouts. I understand people's opinions of shad, but assuming he will be let go after the draft what logical reason am I missing?

What? That would possibly be the dumbest move in the history of the franchise, even worse than hiring Meyer. Why let Baalke screw up our draft and then fire him? That makes absolutely no sense at all. It would almost be as bad as keeping him. What good GM is gonna want to come here after the draft, when some other loser has put his draft picks on the team. I sure as hell wouldn't! Your basically stuck with those players whether you like them or not. 

I'm convinced Dave Caldwell knew he was basically out the door when he selected C.J. Henderson and K'Lavon Chaisson, so he intentionally tanked that draft as a middle finger to the team. Neither one of those picks ever made any sense to me. If we let Baalke stay only to get us through the draft and then fire him afterwards, what is to keep him from doing the same?
I think the plan was already set in place for Meyer but Meyer wanted to wait 1 year until a QB was available to draft.

Caldwell definitely knew he was gone but I don't think he would tank it. He wouldn't be able to work anywhere if he did that. I'm not sure who made the calls but it was probably a group pick.

There is no reason to keep GM. You have scouts who do most of the work and then you just need to analyze the data and rank the players. For FA you would have to have the HC say the GM is gone or it could affect players and agents answering their phones. It's just another Khan Jag decision.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Caldwell drafted Henderson and Chaisson as replacements for Ramsey and Yannick, it's no big mystery or evil plan.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-27-2022, 06:08 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Caldwell drafted Henderson and Chaisson as replacements for Ramsey and Yannick, it's no big mystery or evil plan.

Exactly, it was just the stupidity that comes of needs based drafting.

Why don't ALL of the Key Stroking GMs apply for the position when Baalke is virtually fired. Make sure that your resumes are up to date.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(This post was last modified: 01-27-2022, 09:19 AM by Mikey.)

(01-27-2022, 01:48 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Oh come on with that second paragraph. Don't stoop to those levels of conspiracy theory. Both picks made perfect sense, we were replacing two guys who jumped ship, and while neither player drafted returned the investment in them, the thought process was crystal clear - we lost a valuable player at (two) position, we need to try to fill that void.

It's what he did - he found the biggest holes in the roster and that shaped his early draft strategy every single year. Often at the expense of passing up much better players at less vacuous positions on the roster. 

I'll agree that allowing a lame duck to handle all of your FA signing and draft board aligning is a terrible idea. If you plan to get rid of him, do it now while some of the better GM candidates are still available for hire. If you wait until May or June to fill the position, you'll once again be scraping the bottom of the dumpster for your new hire.

(01-27-2022, 07:07 AM)NH3 Wrote: Why don't ALL of the Key Stroking GMs apply for the position when Baalke is virtually fired. Make sure that your resumes are up to date.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

...maybe the smartest GM in the world sets up a team fansite and monitors all the amateur scouts and mock drafters while not paying any of them a dime? That would be pretty bold.

(01-27-2022, 06:08 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Caldwell drafted Henderson and Chaisson as replacements for Ramsey and Yannick, it's no big mystery or evil plan.

Neither one was rated by anyone as highly as they were taken, until about 2 weeks before the draft. That's when media starts to at least get an idea that teams might be taking certain players. Henderson had huge red flags about his tackling ability and Caldwell didn't even bother to interview him and Chaisson was a flash in the pan who had a couple big games at LSU and disappeared in others. There is replacing players in the draft, and totally reaching. Caldwell reached badly. I will always believe he did it on purpose.

the only thing i can think of firing him after the draft, is cause he is involved in the scouting and player profiles, but that is what the scouting department is for. a new GM capable to get info. should be able to come aboard and get up to speed quickly.

(01-27-2022, 10:37 AM)icey14 Wrote: the only thing i can think of firing him after the draft, is cause he is involved in the scouting and player profiles, but that is what the scouting department is for. a new GM capable to get info. should be able to come aboard and get up to speed quickly.

Since Baalke wouldn't know talent if it kicked him straight in the colon... we need to fire him now.

(01-27-2022, 10:31 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Neither one was rated by anyone as highly as they were taken, until about 2 weeks before the draft. That's when media starts to at least get an idea that teams might be taking certain players. Henderson had huge red flags about his tackling ability and Caldwell didn't even bother to interview him and Chaisson was a flash in the pan who had a couple big games at LSU and disappeared in others. There is replacing players in the draft, and totally reaching. Caldwell reached badly. I will always believe he did it on purpose.

Never assume malice when ignorance will suffice.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-27-2022, 10:39 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(01-27-2022, 10:37 AM)icey14 Wrote: the only thing i can think of firing him after the draft, is cause he is involved in the scouting and player profiles, but that is what the scouting department is for. a new GM capable to get info. should be able to come aboard and get up to speed quickly.

Since Baalke wouldn't know talent if it kicked him straight in the colon... we need to fire him now.

This is oddly specific. Hmmm...

(01-27-2022, 05:17 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(01-27-2022, 10:39 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Since Baalke wouldn't know talent if it kicked him straight in the colon... we need to fire him now.

This is oddly specific. Hmmm...

Someone I know just had gangrene in their colon.. so it kinda stuck. lol

(01-27-2022, 05:55 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(01-27-2022, 05:17 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: This is oddly specific. Hmmm...

Someone I know just had gangrene in their colon.. so it kinda stuck. lol

That's why you don't stick it up there.

(01-27-2022, 10:31 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

I'd debate that, especially on the part of CJ.
Everyone was mocking him to us, in large part because he was a top CB prospect in that class and the whole Ramsey debacle. Many characterized it as the perfect scenario where the top player fell right to where we were picking (IIRC R1 P9?).

I think hindsight might be skewing this view a bit.

(01-28-2022, 09:39 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(01-27-2022, 10:31 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Neither one was rated by anyone as highly as they were taken, until about 2 weeks before the draft. That's when media starts to at least get an idea that teams might be taking certain players. Henderson had huge red flags about his tackling ability and Caldwell didn't even bother to interview him and Chaisson was a flash in the pan who had a couple big games at LSU and disappeared in others. There is replacing players in the draft, and totally reaching. Caldwell reached badly. I will always believe he did it on purpose.

I'd debate that, especially on the part of CJ.
Everyone was mocking him to us, in large part because he was a top CB prospect in that class and the whole Ramsey debacle. Many characterized it as the perfect scenario where the top player fell right to where we were picking (IIRC R1 P9?).

I think hindsight might be skewing this view a bit.

They only started mocking him to us about two weeks before the draft, when the media started to get a sense of who GM's might pick. Before that, Henderson was nowhere close to being the #9 overall pick. Even if he would have been, Caldwell didn't even bother to interview Henderson to see what kind of guy he was. Who does that?

Hindsight is not skewing anything. Go back and look at my post from that draft. I was furious. I hated both first round picks.