Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
All-time most hated Jaguars

(This post was last modified: 01-30-2022, 02:42 AM by Jagsfan4life9/28/82. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-29-2022, 07:51 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(01-29-2022, 06:44 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: I'll add that one of those seasons the team had a 12-4 record and beat both teams that ended up in the Superbowl that year. I'm right with you on your analysis. Seems like he always drafted for need in the first round, then best available afterwards. And the results speak for themselves.
I am unsure whether the disparity between first and 2nd round players can be explained purely by need vs BAP drafting, because CB and LB (Mathis and Smith) were needs when they were drafted in the second round.  Considering the offense JDR was going to run, you could argue FB was a need, too.  TE has perpetually been a need for this team, and he drafted Marcedes Lewis in the first round.  He did actually make a Pro Bowl for us and wound up with a very long career.  I tend to think his paradigm for WRs (big, long striders) was off somehow, or otherwise did not correctly evaluate their character, as both wound up developing substance abuse issues.

That said, I submit the prevailing theory entertained by many that Shack Harris made the first round picks while Gene SMith made the picks from rounds 2-7 is not borne out by the facts..  None of Gene Smith's picks came close to matching the picks from rounds 2-7 in the Shack era.  From a talent perspective, Smith's best pick was Justin Blackmon.  But Blackmon was so addled by substance dependence, it was impossible for him to have been a productive player for the Jaguars or anyone else.    After that, I'd say maybe Eugene Monrow was Smith's best player, but he was an average to slightly above average LT, and certainly not the player at his position that MJD and Rashean Mathis were at their positions.

But we agree that, especially given the benefit of hindsight, Shack Harris remains under rated and under appreciated by the fans of this team, and you could argue this franchise has never recovered from his dismissal.

Fair points, though I'd say sometimes a team needing a lot of help certainly advances the perception of need based drafting. To counter, I'll offer MJD. We certainly didn't need a RB in 2006, but the player facing us in the second round was better than anyone left. 

But yes, we're certainly on the same page in thinking Harris is far from one of this franchise's villains. Quite frankly, I'd take a return to that over what we have had to put up with for over a decade.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-30-2022, 04:37 AM by NH3. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-28-2022, 01:30 PM)mikesez Wrote: What about the guy at Nike who designed the two-tone helmet? We were stuck with those things for what? 4 years? 5 years?

LMBO

Watch your mouth! I adore that helmet design and I'd Love to bring it back.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

(01-30-2022, 04:33 AM)NH3 Wrote:
(01-28-2022, 01:30 PM)mikesez Wrote: What about the guy at Nike who designed the two-tone helmet? We were stuck with those things for what? 4 years? 5 years?

LMBO

Watch your mouth! I adore that helmet design and I'd Love to bring it back.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
[Image: 22069cdc5f4992b5dfa369f82bb95741.gif]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

The golden helmets. Legendary losing under those helmets

Those helmets looked like they ran out of black spray paint.

(01-28-2022, 05:04 PM)scottyg Wrote:
(01-28-2022, 04:53 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: 5. Matt Turk
4. Baalke
3. Carlos Hyde
2. Meyer
1. Will always be Who Douglas

Carlos Hyde?  He live near you and kick your dog or something? lol
I can understand not liking the signing - I didn't either.  But to make the hate list, he must have done something else, right?

He refused to answer the bell when called into action during his first stint. Unforgivable offense, but as stated previously the list is getting so long that some real winners are left off of most lists.

At least Ramsey had the decency to fake a back injury. Hyde just said "nah, fam" when coach called his number.

(This post was last modified: 01-31-2022, 06:23 PM by anonymous2112. Edited 1 time in total.)

Can't use the word "hate" for any of them, but if there's a ring of dishonor, leave Shack out of it.

I think Ramsey and Douglas are locks. Not mentioned so far, Bryce Paup makes the top 5. And I'll put Andre Rison and Urban in, no particular order.

1. T
2. R
3. E
4. N
5. T

It's most definitely balkie right now and into the future for some time

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2022, 11:22 PM by TheDuke007. Edited 1 time in total.)

(01-28-2022, 11:05 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: James Harris The GM before Gene smith is #1 and its not even close and if your not old enough to remember him and his thoughts about who he wanted on the team and who he passed up in the draft look it up

I question how well you remember James Harris.  Are you aware that James Harris has a winning record as our GM?  If you define "GM" as the person with final decision-making authority over the roster, James Harris is actually the Jaguars best GM in their history in terms of winning percentage:

James Harris  .521
Tom Coughlin  .506
Gene Smith    .344
Dave Caldwell .200
Urban Meyer  .176