Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mr. Khan, FIRE BAALKE!!

(02-11-2022, 12:12 AM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(02-09-2022, 05:16 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: Maybe I’m reading it wrong, but it looks to me as if this quote is saying that, while the players coming back from the Lisfranc injury  saw a decrease in performance, it typically was not particularly significant relative to other players. Basically, that it often is not a career ending or career ruining injury. I also, only read this quote, not the entire study, so I don’t know if the other control groups consisted of players who sustained other injuries or players who weren’t injured or both. 

I’m still excited about ETN despite the injury. MJD came off a Lisfranc in his eighth season at almost 30 and had 1100 yards and 5 TDs. ETN is 21(?). Maybe he’ll never be what he would have been, or maybe he’ll have a shorter career than he otherwise would have, but he could still be a good NFL running back. BTW I don’t like that we picked him at 25.

I don't read it that way at all.  They are referencing "statistical significance".  That's the term that statisticians use for irrelevant or meaningless.  While the study might have technically showed some decrease in average performance from players after the injury, this margin was so small that statisticians would ignore it as likely being coincidence or caused by other factors.  For example, if five running backs combined for 5,001 rushing yards in the season before the injury and 5,000 after the return, you could say that their performance "decreased".  However, I think most reasonable people would conclude the injury had no impact on their performance and the 1 yard decrease was likely unrelated.  (I'm not saying it was that close, but that's the concept.)

Apparently my hospital doesn't have access to this journal, so I can't delve into the details of the stats.

But there was article that looked at players identified with Lisfranc at the draft. That may be more applicable for ETN's situaiton. Unfortunately the pay wall only allowed me to get the abstract:

Quote:AOSSM 2017 Annual Meeting

The Epidemiology of Lisfranc Injuries at the National Football League Combine and its Impact on an Athlete's National Football League Career

Kevin Jude McHale, MD1, Bryan George Vopat, MD2, George Sanchez3, William H. Rossy, MD4, Catherine Logan, MD, MBA,MSPT5, Matthew T. Provencher, MD6 1University of Pennsylvania Orthopaedic Surgery, Cape May Court House, NJ, USA, 2University of Kansas, Overland Park, KS, USA, 3Steadman Philippon Research Institute Program, Vail, CO, USA, 4Princeton Orthopaedic Associates, Princeton, NJ, USA, 5Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, USA, 6The Steadman Clinic, Vail, CO, USA

Objectives: Lisfranc injuries may have a detrimental effect on athletic performance and an athlete's career. Understanding the epidemiology of these injuries in collegiate football players and their impact on future performance may assist team physicians in counseling injured athletes and determining optimal treatment. The purposes of this study are to 1) determine the epidemiology of navicular fractures in players participating in the NFL Combine, 2) define positions and demographics that might be at higher risk for sustaining this injury, and 3) evaluate the radiographic healing and eventual impact the injury and radiographic findings has on Lisfranc injuries on NFL draft position and NFL game play compared to matched controls.

Methods: All players who sustained a Lisfranc injury prior to Combine evaluation between 2009 and 2015 were evaluated. The prevalence, positions affected, treatment methods, and number of missed collegiate games were recorded. Radiographic outcomes were analyzed via Combine radiograph findings, while NFL performance outcomes were assessed for all Lisfranc injuries (2009-13) compared to matched controls in first two years of play.

Results: A total of 41/2162 (1.8%) Combine participants were identified with Lisfranc injuries, of which 26/41 (63.4%) were managed operatively. When compared to players managed nonoperatively, those who underwent surgery were more likely to go undrafted (38.5% vs. 13.3%, p=0.04) and featured a worse NFL draft pick position (155.6 vs. 109, p=0.03). Lisfranc-injured players were noted to have a worse NFL draft position (142 vs. 111.3, p=0.04), NFL career length ≥2 years (62.5% vs. 69.6%, p=0.23) and fewer games played (16.9 vs. 23.3, p=0.001) and started (6.8 vs. 10.5, p=0.08) within the first two years of NFL career versus controls. Radiographs demonstrated 17/41 (41.5%) athletes with residual Lisfranc joint displacement >2mm compared to the contralateral foot. Lisfranc-injured athletes with >2mm residual displacement had lower draft position (111.2 vs. 156.9, p=0.009), and fewer games played (23.3 vs. 14.4, p=0.001) and started (10.5 vs. 3,1, p=0.03) versus matched controls. Moreover, athletes with >2mm residual displacement featured worse outcomes across all assessed NFL variables versus athletes with ≤2mm residual displacement.

Conclusion: Lisfranc injuries identified at the NFL Combine have an adverse effect on an NFL athlete’s draft status, draft position and overall play during initial NFL seasons. In particular, residual displacement of the Lisfranc joint has a detrimental impact on the first two seasons of NFL play and may lead to long lasting negative effects on career.

The Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine, 5(7)(suppl 6) DOI: 10.1177/2325967117S00225 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!