Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Is Matthew the Wright guy at kicker next year?

(02-02-2022, 09:56 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(02-01-2022, 10:21 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: We are talking about spending a late round pick on competition for Matthew Wright

If there’s a guy available in the sixth or seventh round who has a scouting report worthy of gambling that late round pick, then you spend it 

If there isn’t a guy there, then you don’t

I can’t believe I’m explaining this

The thing is, looking at the pre-draft rankings, there really isn't a guy, so when someone says "draft one of em", it's natural to ask who that person has in mind.

Let's just say I was hopeful there would be a worthy candidate in this years late rounds.  Your knowledge of the kicker pool in the upcoming draft exceeds my own, which is absolutely zero to be precise. 

The reasoning of my post still applies if it's an UDFA or FA off the street instead of the 6/7th rounder that apparently only exists in my wishful thinking and Gene Smith's scouting file. 

The org would be foolish to sit on their hands and not at least attempt to upgrade Wright.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-03-2022, 09:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-02-2022, 09:56 AM)Mikey Wrote: The thing is, looking at the pre-draft rankings, there really isn't a guy, so when someone says "draft one of em", it's natural to ask who that person has in mind.

Let's just say I was hopeful there would be a worthy candidate in this years late rounds.  Your knowledge of the kicker pool in the upcoming draft exceeds my own, which is absolutely zero to be precise. 

The reasoning of my post still applies if it's an UDFA or FA off the street instead of the 6/7th rounder that apparently only exists in my wishful thinking and Gene Smith's scouting file. 

The org would be foolish to sit on their hands and not at least attempt to upgrade Wright.

I'd bring in competition, we have a million late round picks and after having a large rookie class last year & probably this year, i'd rather draft some competition for Wright (hopefully a guy with a bigger leg) than get some 5th string guy that wont stick on the roster.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(02-03-2022, 09:15 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-02-2022, 09:56 AM)Mikey Wrote: The thing is, looking at the pre-draft rankings, there really isn't a guy, so when someone says "draft one of em", it's natural to ask who that person has in mind.

Given our salary cap situation, I would probably try to sign one in free agency, if we can.  If not, I'm with you in drafting one in the sixth or seventh round. No, I can't "name that player".  I'm not doing extensive research on kickers.  Hypothetically, if every kicker in the upcoming drafts sucks, then skip it.  However, if we are operating in realityland, you take the best kicker available.  We have 4 sixth rounders and 2 seventh rounders.  6 players from that late in the draft are not making our 53 man roster.  We might as well get the best remaining kicker and let him compete with Wright.  Although Wright is ok at field goals, his kickoffs are completely unacceptable.  At an absolute minimum, we need competition at the position.

I just hope Logan Cooke heals up nice for next season. Hopefully we won’t need his skills much, but he’s the man when you need him.

i thought he did a commendable job this season... that being said, we have a million late round picks and the majority of those guys won't make our 53 man roster if they are 5th round or later. I would take a flier on one of the remaining kickers and at least have a competition... best man gets the job.

Wright is exactly what you want from 50 yards in, if he had a consistent 10 yards more on his leg he'd be ideal.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Can a kicker work on a getting stronger, more efficient on the kickoffs? Or is that basically locked into to their ability?

(02-05-2022, 02:35 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Can a kicker work on a getting stronger, more efficient on the kickoffs? Or is that basically locked into to their ability?

What I've seen is that the work it takes to get another 5 yards out of the leg often screws up the mechanics and takes away the accuracy. There's a local kicking academy that stresses exactly that, the need to balance kicking it far with controlling where it goes. Like Mickelson at the US Open it's no good to be long if you bounce it off the tent.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(02-05-2022, 02:38 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-05-2022, 02:35 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Can a kicker work on a getting stronger, more efficient on the kickoffs? Or is that basically locked into to their ability?

What I've seen is that the work it takes to get another 5 yards out of the leg often screws up the mechanics and takes away the accuracy. There's a local kicking academy that stresses exactly that, the need to balance kicking it far with controlling where it goes. Like Mickelson at the US Open it's no good to be long if you bounce it off the tent.

That's what she said!!!
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]