Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2022 Winter Olympics

Are you going to watch? Are there any particular events you enjoy? Are there events that make you wonder how it became an Olympic sport, or a sport at all?

Curling is fascinating to watch in a strange way. I have no idea what the rules are, why it's called curling or how it became a sport. Something I want to read up on. I also enjoy speed skating and the snowboarding events.

There are some new events added this year but I can't remember what they are. Will have to check it out. 

We decided to subscribe to the Peacock streaming service for the month to make sure we can first and foremost watch the SB, but also watch the Olympics. We have a digital antenna but the reception can be super sketchy for any channel but especially for NBC. We're surrounded by pine trees and rolling hills and the closest city with networks is over an hour away in any direction. The NBC channel we get is the shortest distance as the crow flies, but has the most obstacles between our antenna and theirs. 

Part of me doesn't want to watch because it does support China in a roundabout way (not going to get political about it) but those athletes worked their butts off to be the best in their sport. It's hard to ignore their efforts especially in light of what they have had to train through the past two years and seeing the Summer Olympics delayed by a year, wondering if that would be their fate. Talk about mental toughness!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'll watch curling, luge, bobsled, snowboarding, speed skating and all downhill skiing. Wont watch figure skating cause the judging processes is too subjective and its too flaming for my taste.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

I forgot about bobsledding. And the skeleton!! There is not a proper emoji that describes how much watching those crazy people terrify me yet I still watch it. Lol. I just wish I had the mental balls it takes to do that. 

I'll skydive all day long but get on a sled? Nope.

Gonna definitely qatch the bobsled

Rooting for Jamaica and aus Big Grin

Here's a link to the schedule for the Games.

Link

This mixed curling is interesting. I still don't quite understand it but the lady doing the commentary is really good at explaining what is going on without being annoying. Take a hint Johnny Weir.

The only sports I really like are the speed skating and cross country skiing/biathlon. I like curling and hockey too. I like to watch the figure skating as entertainment but I ignore the competitive part. All of those feel pretty approachable. Like things some buddies could get together and do to pass the time whenever it got cold.
On the other hand, all the different slopes and tracks they have to make for downhill skiing, ski jumping, snowboarding, bobsled, luge, skeleton, all feels very artificial. It just feels like they used to be fun thing for teenagers to do but so much work had to go into making them formal competitions that they don't seem fun anymore.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

S Korea going to challenge bias refereeing in the short track that DQ'd two of their team and handed PRC gold and silver.
R.I.P. Stroudcrowd1

I'm not an expert on figure skating, but I always watch it. The girl from Russia is blowing my mind. Smoothest, most effortless moves I've ever seen.

Five female ski jumpers from four different countries were DQ'd for uniforms that were just fine Saturday. They all said it was like the rules for them changed overnight. Slovenia ended up winning.

A few highly anticipated athletes have not done well at all.

These and other stories make for a very strange Games this year.

Fox News is saying the world-beating Russian figure skater Kamila tested positive for roids. Tragic if true!

(This post was last modified: 02-10-2022, 04:24 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 11 times in total.)

This is an old rant, but it seems to become relevant during every Olympics where we see a 2nd generation athlete that was born, raised, and presumably trains in the US with US funded resources to suddenly decide to compete for the country that their parents/grandparents/brother/uncle/10th removed cousin is a former citizen of. This years most recognizable candidate is Eileen Gu, 2022 Gold medalist in BigAir ski jumping, from San Francisco, whos mother was born in China. I'm a 1st generation American-Greek, but I guarantee you that if I were talented enough to compete and medal in the Olympics, it would be for the country that raised me, funded me, and cheered me on during all those practices and competitions that eventually got me to the podium. She's not dumb, she's going to Stanford after the Olympics, but sadly she is probably a normal example of today's student who is seemingly taught to hate America. Let's see how far you get if you ever move to China and speak against the CCP; you may end up in the Land of the Disappeared. The fact that she supports BLM and is from the Peoples Republic of SF says a lot. I'm thinking that BLM and CCP might be a bit incompatible, no? Wonder how she reconciles that. I'm also waiting to see the 1st Native Chinese Olympic athlete decide to compete for another country. It'll be a long wait.

Big kudos to Nathan Chen for being in EXACTLY the same situation as Gu but choosing to do the honorable path and compete for the country that helped make you what you are.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(02-10-2022, 04:07 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: This is an old rant, but it seems to become relevant during every Olympics where we see a 2nd generation athlete that was born, raised, and presumably trains in the US with US funded resources to suddenly decide to compete for the country that their parents/grandparents/brother/uncle/10th removed cousin is a former citizen of.  This years most recognizable candidate is Eileen Gu, 2022 Gold medalist in BigAir ski jumping, from San Francisco, whos mother was born in China.  I'm a 1st generation American-Greek, but I guarantee you that if I were talented enough to compete and medal in the Olympics, it would be for the country that raised me, funded me, and cheered me on during all those practices and competitions that eventually got me to the podium.  She's not dumb, she's going to Stanford after the Olympics, but sadly she is probably a normal example of today's student who is seemingly taught to hate America.  Let's see how far you get if you ever move to China and speak against the CCP; you may end up in the Land of the Disappeared.  The fact that she supports BLM and is from the Peoples Republic of SF says a lot.  I'm thinking that BLM and CCP might be a bit incompatible, no?  Wonder how she reconciles that.  I'm also waiting to see the 1st Native Chinese Olympic athlete decide to compete for another country.  It'll be a long wait.

Big kudos to Nathan Chen for being in EXACTLY the same situation as Gu but choosing to do the honorable path and compete for the country that helped make you what you are.

I suspect the Chinese Communists found a way to make her and her family quite rich.  I wonder what their price was.

Me and my husband were talking about this yesterday. I agree that it's a pretty jacked up thing to do. If she has sponsors I wonder what they think of it.

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2022, 02:00 AM by homebiscuit. Edited 1 time in total.)

I understand the urge to represent ethnic identity over your home country, although I believe it to be duplicitous. Then again, this may be the only chance they get at Olympic competition. However, is it worth branding yourself as an unscrupulous commie conspirator?

Eventually it’ll occur to these people that they’re not representing China, they’re representing the Chinese Communist Party.

This one was not allowed to speak English at her press conference.

(02-11-2022, 01:50 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I understand the urge to represent ethnic identity over your home country, although I believe it to be duplicitous. Then again, this may be the only chance they get at Olympic competition. However, is it worth branding yourself as an unscrupulous commie conspirator?

Eventually it’ll occur to these people that they’re not representing China, they’re representing the Chinese Communist Party.

I can forgive athletes who are not quite good enough to go to the games for their home country and try to join whatever country will take them.  Eileen Gu won the gold medal.  She could have represented any country.  She chose very poorly.

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2022, 05:33 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 2 times in total.)

(02-11-2022, 01:09 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-11-2022, 01:50 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: I understand the urge to represent ethnic identity over your home country, although I believe it to be duplicitous. Then again, this may be the only chance they get at Olympic competition. However, is it worth branding yourself as an unscrupulous commie conspirator?

I can forgive athletes who are not quite good enough to go to the games for their home country and try to join whatever country will take them.  Eileen Gu won the gold medal.  She could have represented any country.  She chose very poorly.

Uh no. You are potentially competing against your own country. Pick one, and if you can't qualify, then get better and try next time. Or change your citizenship to the country you qualify for.

(02-11-2022, 05:31 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(02-11-2022, 01:09 PM)mikesez Wrote: I can forgive athletes who are not quite good enough to go to the games for their home country and try to join whatever country will take them.  Eileen Gu won the gold medal.  She could have represented any country.  She chose very poorly.

Uh no.  You are potentially competing against your own country.  Pick one, and if you can't qualify, then get better and try next time.  Or change your citizenship to the country you qualify for.

Agreed

[BLEEP] anyone that decides to go with the communists. [BLEEP] it. Doesn't need any more clarification.

(This post was last modified: 02-14-2022, 12:20 PM by NewJagsCity.)

Ocala's Erin Jackson taking Gold in speed skating last night was one of the most incredible recent feats in Olympic history. Didn't start ice skating until just 5 years ago. Was on a roller derby team in Jax for a while. It was awesome to see.

(02-11-2022, 07:10 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: [BLEEP] anyone that decides to go with the communists. [BLEEP] it. Doesn't need any more clarification.

Yep, and this includes those American hockey players that defected to play for CCP. Revoke the Visas. The IOC needs to review the participation guidelines; but they probably never will.

Kudos to Kaillie Humphries for doing it the right way. Leaving Canada after being harassed out; becoming a naturalized US citizen and then bringing home Gold in the Monobob.