Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Fantastic Job Mr Khan! He took a ton of heat but got the guy we needed!

(02-06-2022, 08:28 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(02-06-2022, 08:07 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: Interesting that Khan said they'd not made any other offers to anyone else. It had been widely reported that the sticking point with Leftwich was his desire to bring along his own GM. So at the least, there was negotiations ongoing to hire him. I think we got the coach we need but still feels like he was Plan B.

I thought he danced around that question myself.  I thought he danced around a lot of questions.

I imagine that things probably went something like them asking Leftwich what he'd need in a contract, which isn't actually offering him the job, but if reports are right then if he'd just gone into money and not into getting Baalke out the door then he would probably have been signed. Technically he may have never been offered the job, but it sure seemed like they were intent on hiring him a couple of weeks ago.

Really, though, as long as Spielman is holding Baalke's leash and no one's getting in Pedersen's way I think we'll be fine, and this is probably about the best outcome we could have hoped for given Khan's refusal to ever really clean house.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-06-2022, 09:18 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(02-06-2022, 08:28 AM)RicoTx Wrote: I thought he danced around that question myself.  I thought he danced around a lot of questions.

I imagine that things probably went something like them asking Leftwich what he'd need in a contract, which isn't actually offering him the job, but if reports are right then if he'd just gone into money and not into getting Baalke out the door then he would probably have been signed. Technically he may have never been offered the job, but it sure seemed like they were intent on hiring him a couple of weeks ago.

Really, though, as long as Spielman is holding Baalke's leash and no one's getting in Pedersen's way I think we'll be fine, and this is probably about the best outcome we could have hoped for given Khan's refusal to ever really clean house.

I'm fine with the hire.  My comment was of Khan in general.  I thought that, more than anybody on that panel...including Baalke...he gave very few direct answers.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(02-06-2022, 09:21 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(02-06-2022, 09:18 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: I imagine that things probably went something like them asking Leftwich what he'd need in a contract, which isn't actually offering him the job, but if reports are right then if he'd just gone into money and not into getting Baalke out the door then he would probably have been signed. Technically he may have never been offered the job, but it sure seemed like they were intent on hiring him a couple of weeks ago.

I'm fine with the hire.  My comment was of Khan in general.  I thought that, more than anybody on that panel...including Baalke...he gave very few direct answers.

At times he was as direct as could be expected, like saying they're going to hire an evp. He can't say Spielman because of the ridiculous Rooney rule song and dance. Other answers were a bit evasive, but I expect were truthful answers even if they didn't really capture the intent of the question.

(02-06-2022, 09:25 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(02-06-2022, 09:21 AM)RicoTx Wrote: I'm fine with the hire.  My comment was of Khan in general.  I thought that, more than anybody on that panel...including Baalke...he gave very few direct answers.

At times he was as direct as could be expected, like saying they're going to hire an evp. He can't say Spielman because of the ridiculous Rooney rule song and dance. Other answers were a bit evasive, but I expect were truthful answers even if they didn't really capture the intent of the question.

Oh, the Spielman question, only an idiot would have answered directly.  As you stated, there were a few times where he never even answered the question posed.

(02-06-2022, 08:28 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(02-06-2022, 08:07 AM)MarleyJag Wrote: Interesting that Khan said they'd not made any other offers to anyone else. It had been widely reported that the sticking point with Leftwich was his desire to bring along his own GM. So at the least, there was negotiations ongoing to hire him. I think we got the coach we need but still feels like he was Plan B.

I thought he danced around that question myself.  I thought he danced around a lot of questions.

Agreed. There's a little bit of "smartest guy in the room" syndrome with SK. He gave a pseudo-joking answer to the "did you get it right this time" question but you could tell he was miffed about even being asked.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Does Baalke smoke 10 packs of cigarettes a day, or did somebody puch him in the throat?

(02-06-2022, 09:30 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(02-06-2022, 08:28 AM)RicoTx Wrote: I thought he danced around that question myself.  I thought he danced around a lot of questions.

Agreed. There's a little bit of "smartest guy in the room" syndrome with SK. He gave a pseudo-joking answer to the "did you get it right this time" question but you could tell he was miffed about even being asked.

I didn't get the impression that he was prepared for tough questions.  He looked deflated by the end of the press conference.

(02-04-2022, 03:32 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(02-04-2022, 03:21 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: This is what happens when you do a thourough coaching search. 

Normally we rush them, and look where that's got us.

There was nothing thorough about this coaching search. This franchise fumbled around every corner and was lucky that they could scramble back into the only respectable HC candidate left because honestly nobody wants to take the other remaining HCing jobs.

Really?  Is Jim Caldwell not a respectable candidate?  To say there was nothing thorough about our coaching search doesn't make a lot of sense when we interviewed nine candidates.  We hired a proven winner with experience, and other than arguably Jim Caldwell, I don't think there is another one out there who offers as much for what our team needs as Doug Pederson does.  He is the best coach hired so far this offseason, IMO.
[Image: pqk1i5F.jpg]

(02-06-2022, 09:33 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Does Baalke smoke 10 packs of cigarettes a day, or did somebody puch him in the throat?

Prolly both.  Banana

(02-06-2022, 08:07 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(02-05-2022, 08:12 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Also to the people who said "We interviewed Pederson over a month ago, we settled for somebody."

Pederson said in the presser that have been having on going talks since his interview.

Interesting that Khan said they'd not made any other offers to anyone else. It had been widely reported that the sticking point with Leftwich was his desire to bring along his own GM. So at the least, there was negotiations ongoing to hire him. I think we got the coach we need but still feels like he was Plan B.

Khan was awful during the conference, he fumbled around every question and just flat out look unprepared. Baalke looked and sounded like a clown as well, which is typical.

It also rubbed me the wrong way when Khan started his speech with "and from there, as I've been told, it was a long and exhaustive process". What the hell do you mean, as you've been told? Were you not a part of it or what?

Honestly would make perfect sense why he wanted to keep Baalke so bad. He let Baalke run the whole thing while he sat back and did all but nothing. A lot of signs point to that being the case.

(02-06-2022, 06:25 PM)Eric1 Wrote:

Khan was awful during the conference, he fumbled around every question and just flat out look unprepared. Baalke looked and sounded like a clown as well, which is typical.

It also rubbed me the wrong way when Khan started his speech with "and from there, as I've been told, it was a long and exhaustive process". What the hell do you mean, as you've been told? Were you not a part of it or what?

Honestly would make perfect sense why he wanted to keep Baalke so bad. He let Baalke run the whole thing while he sat back and did all but nothing. A lot of signs point to that being the case.

He comes across more and more as a guy who likes the idea of being an NFL owner much more than the reality of ownership. Let's hope that his son, when he takes over some day has much more of a sense of involvement.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Khan is the money man. Hes not jerry jones who is going to be involved. Who knows if Kahn even liked football before he had all this time getting to know the game. At any rate, the fans should be excited about the future.

(02-06-2022, 06:35 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(02-06-2022, 06:25 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Khan was awful during the conference, he fumbled around every question and just flat out look unprepared. Baalke looked and sounded like a clown as well, which is typical.

He comes across more and more as a guy who likes the idea of being an NFL owner much more than the reality of ownership. Let's hope that his son, when he takes over some day has much more of a sense of involvement.

Absolutely, 1 of 32 people on this planet. He's in a very exclusive club being a NFL owner. It also makes him a boat load of money and who doesn't love making boat loads of money.

Was good to hear Doug say Tony was in both interviews and asked some questions as well. I think he's more involved than people think, but he also has a lot going on with the wrestling company as well.

(This post was last modified: 02-07-2022, 09:44 AM by Mikey.)

(02-05-2022, 04:16 PM)Sibelius Wrote: Could you two move this nonsense to a private conversation? This constant childish squabbling crap is what should get more people suspended for awhile.

hear, hear!

I'd rather debate why we kept lining up head coaching interviews for several weeks after a first interview if this guy was either first choice or a slam dunk hire.  Be thorough, sure, but at the risk of losing the candidate you think is head and shoulders above the rest?

Something smells fishy there, if you ask me.
Best of luck, Doug 2.0.

(02-05-2022, 08:12 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Also to the people who said "We interviewed Pederson over a month ago, we settled for somebody."

Pederson said in the presser that have been having on going talks since his interview.

"Ready to work with Baalke yet?"
"Nope"
"OK, we'll check back in a few days"

Tongue

(02-06-2022, 09:30 AM)MarleyJag Wrote:

I imagine that reporter's gonna have to jump through some extra hoops to keep their press credentials active.
(side note, that's a douche move, reporter.)

Looking back at all the criticism we gave Khan , I think a lot of it was unfair to him. He really does seem to have this cities best interest at heart; and realistically it’s probably wise not to fire Baalke, yet. Mr. Khan is the owner of the Jags and the Jags have flat out SUCKED so naturally he took a lot of heat. At the end of the day though, maybe this time he got it right. We will see.. so, we should shelve the whole clown thing, for now and let’s get behind this team once again and DuuuVvAall the [BLEEP] out of this thing. The future is bright here in Jacksonville, only place left to go is up!!
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(02-07-2022, 09:48 AM)Ronster Wrote: Looking back at all the criticism we gave Khan , I think a lot of it was unfair to him. He really does seem to have this cities best interest at heart; and realistically it’s probably wise not to fire Baalke, yet. Mr. Khan is the owner of the Jags and the Jags have flat out SUCKED so naturally he took a lot of heat. At the end of the day though, maybe this time he got it right. We will see..  so, we should shelve the whole clown thing, for now and let’s get behind this team once again and DuuuVvAall the [BLEEP] out of this thing. The future is bright here in Jacksonville, only place left to go is up!!

You're entitled to think that.
I agree that in the end, his intentions are good. At the same time, though, sometimes the best move is to step out of the way and let someone else do the heavy lifting.
I was not a fan of the clown garbage at the end of the season. Especially with COVID churning rosters on a weekly basis, having the GM serve the remainder of the season seemed at the very least an attempt to not flush what remained of the season down the toilet.
But once the season ended and he refused again to clean the slate and start fresh? Well, I started to wonder what he could see that nobody else could. Then, the hiring process dragged on and on, and it seemed in the end that they were reaching out to anyone that would take their calls for an interview.
I don't know whether we made the right choice or not, but I'm still going to cheer them on and hope we did. We need something to cheer for, after all. But Khan's stubbornness will have earned him every bit of criticism if either of these choices (Baalke and Pederson) fail to get the job done. He made the decision to stand by them through this whole event, and it's going to be his reputation that sinks or swims based on their results.

He'll still do what he can for the team and for the city, but I wonder if his greatest act will be admitting to himself that others may be more capable to steer the team's course.