Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Lost in all the coaching mess...Boselli is up for HOF this week

(02-10-2022, 07:42 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(02-10-2022, 07:20 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Gale was THAT DUDE when he played though right? From what 65-70? What other great RBs did he contend with during that time frame? I know Jim Brown's last season was 1965. This was obviously all way before my time started on this planet.

Part of why Taylor gets forgotten, besides the market he played in is because he played with some other big time RBs during that time. Tomlinson, Bettis, Eddie George, Curtis Martin, Emmitt Smith, Ricky Williams, Marshall Faulk, Priest Holmes, Edgerrin James etc. etc, just to name a few off the top of my head. There were plenty of others, but Taylor played in a era with a bunch of great RBs.

That's not to say he isn't up there, he was one of the greatest to ever do it and maybe the most underrated RB of all time, but the market he played in and the other Backs in the league at that time are a big reason why he always gets forgotten, sadly. It's wrong and he deserves to be in the HoF as well.

Taylor is currently 17th on the All Time NFL rushing leaders list. Every player ahead of him besides Frank Gore (at #3) and Adrian Peterson (at #5) are in the HoF. It's only a matter of time before Gore and Peterson get in as well. Then there's about 20 more guys behind Taylor on the list that are in the HoF as well.

Sayers was unique for his era, and so that helped a bunch.  Leroy Kelley of the NFL and Jim Nance (not the broadcaster) of the AFL were his closest equals at the time.  Its insane that there are 20 behind him that are in.  That seems like obvious team bias, the 'era of rushing' notwithstanding.  Guess the passing era QB's are going to face the same questions in a few years.

I wanna say it was 19 people behind him on the rushing list when I did a quick skim through earlier. 8 or 9 of those guys were going back to the 40s, 50s and 60s though. Back when those guys played both ways still so they weren't only voted into the HoF for their rushing numbers alone.

Another one was Steve Young and we all know he wasn't voted in for his rushing ability either, although it was still really nice.

And you are absolutely right about the QBs facing similar questions in coming years. But man, what I'd give to be able to watch Marino sling it around for a couple seasons of his prime in this era of the NFL.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Once Boselli gets in, Taylor will get in eventually and then Jimmy Smith.

Smith has better numbers than some receivers already in, and he also has a Super Bowl ring from that ‘92 Dallas team, even though he didn’t play. Jimmy was 212 yards shy of 10 straight 1,000 yard seasons, and that was the year he was suspended 4 games. Did I mention that he didn’t become a full time starter until he was 27 years old?? He also didn’t make the Pro Bowl in 1996, but instead McCardell made it, even though Jimmy put up better numbers that season. Smith also caught the pass to 1 of the greatest upsets in NFL post season history.

I think down the line McCardell will go in too. His numbers are enough but you add the Super Bowl ring and he will eventually get in way down the line.

That will give us a total of 4 Hall of Famers from that mid 1990’s team when we were so dominant.

I didn’t know this was a whole production? I just turned on to see if Boselli gets in and it’s an academy awards type thing? Ugh I hate these kind of shows
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(02-10-2022, 10:27 PM)EricC85 Wrote: I didn’t know this was a whole production? I just turned on to see if Boselli gets in and it’s an academy awards type thing? Ugh I hate these kind of shows

Same.. i was hoping it would be over by now. I am in central time and thought it was late enough. Oh well
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

He got in
Signature goes here.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

He did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2022, 09:43 AM by Mikey.)

(02-10-2022, 08:51 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: I get tired of the bigger faster now is better than the past stuff. For a long time I viewed Joe Montana as the GOAT it is only here in the past few years I had to admit Brady passed him.

Competetors would do it in any era and had other issues they had to overcome.

I really really think Freddy T was so darn electric that he needs to be in the hall. Jim Brown is in his corner.

I won't disagree that Freddy deserves consideration. But Tony had to get in first. Now that that is done, the campaigning in earnest for Freddy can begin.

(02-10-2022, 10:27 PM)EricC85 Wrote: I didn’t know this was a whole production? I just turned on to see if Boselli gets in and it’s an academy awards type thing? Ugh I hate these kind of shows

Phone notifications were all I needed. Kinda assumed it was a shoe-in this year.

He and Butler are probably the biggest names on this ballot, so it will be nice that while he's had to wait to hear his name called, they'll be able to put extra attention on his career.

(02-10-2022, 09:47 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Once Boselli gets in, Taylor will get in eventually and then Jimmy Smith.

Smith has better numbers than some receivers already in, and he also has a Super Bowl ring from that ‘92 Dallas team, even though he didn’t play. Jimmy was 212 yards shy of 10 straight 1,000 yard seasons, and that was the year he was suspended 4 games. Did I mention that he didn’t become a full time starter until he was 27 years old?? He also didn’t make the Pro Bowl in 1996, but instead McCardell made it, even though Jimmy put up better numbers that season. Smith also caught the pass to 1 of the greatest upsets in NFL post season history.

I think down the line McCardell will go in too. His numbers are enough but you add the Super Bowl ring and he will eventually get in way down the line.

That will give us a total of 4 Hall of Famers from that mid 1990’s team when we were so dominant.

Rod Smith (WR - Broncos) needs to get in before Jimmy is even considered.  They basically have the similar numbers but Rod has 2 Super Bowl rings.  If one doesn't think Rod Smith is a Hall of Famer (which the voters continue to not even place him as a Finalist), then Jimmy isn't even close.  It's going to get tougher each year with WR retiring with bigger numbers.  Right now, you have Steve Smith, Reggie Wayne, and Andre Johnson in front of both of them.