Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
PSA: Jaguars Press Conference at 11:50 AM

ok, just confirmed EVP is otw...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Just confirmed evp incoming over Baalke. Spielman appears to be a pretty much done deal.

Photo 

(02-05-2022, 01:46 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: Just confirmed evp incoming over Baalke. Spielman appears to be a pretty much done deal.

[Image: yes-praise.gif]

(02-05-2022, 01:48 PM)B-SMOOTH Wrote:
(02-05-2022, 01:46 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: Just confirmed evp incoming over Baalke. Spielman appears to be a pretty much done deal.

lol

Good thing Doug wants to call the plays imo
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(02-05-2022, 01:48 PM)B-SMOOTH Wrote:

Praise Jesus! Praise Jesus!
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

That is a litlte more encouraging. I'll still be shocked if there is not major Baalke drama before all is said and done.

It made me a little queasy to see Littlefinger sitting at the table, but overall I think we heard what we wanted to hear. At one point Khan was asked if there would be changes over or under Baalke in the front office and he said, "Both." He said they asked for an EVP position, and they're going through the NFL's process for interviewing people. That sounds very, very encouraging.
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]

Biggest takeaways for me.

1. Love Pederson so far
2. He’s calling plays which is fantastic.
3. Took forever for someone to ask a question to Trent because he sucks.
4. Props to the reporters asking questions because they didn’t let anything slip through the cracks. They pressed everything.
5. Most important. EVP INCOMING BABAY. SUCK IT TRENT.

Great presser.

My impressions...

1. Khan was very evasive in his answers regarding Baalke, the FO structures, and whether they offered the job to anyone else. He DID say he was going to add some people at the EVP level and below Baalke, but inidicated there were some rules to which they had to adhere (Rooney Rule) before naming that EVP. So Spielman is still in play.

2. This was definitely different from past press conferences. The JDR press conference was pretty much a pep rally. The reporters were much tougher this go around.

3. Pederson said he takes pride in calling plays, so he will be the primary play caller. He said he would defer to someone else if he gets stuck.

4. Towards the end of the press conference, when asked about pieces around Trevor Lawrence, Pederson specifically mentioned a pass catching TE. That made me smile.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

That's a huge piece of news to drop in the middle of that press conference.  

If it's true, I'm very elated about that.

(02-05-2022, 02:09 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:

That's a huge piece of news to drop in the middle of that press conference.  

It’s not “if it’s true”.

Shad literally said they’re hiring someone above and below Baalke. They’ve already filed for EVP with the league.

Excited after watching the press conference. Now it's time to see who the coach picks for staff and then we are all looking forward to talk draft speculation the next 2 months

(02-05-2022, 02:11 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-05-2022, 02:09 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: That's a huge piece of news to drop in the middle of that press conference.  

It’s not “if it’s true”.

Shad literally said they’re hiring someone above and below Baalke. They’ve already filed for EVP with the league.

You are totally correct, but on the other hand, "There's many a slip, between the cup and the lip."  

Over the last few years, I've watched this team operate, and if there's a way to screw things up, they will find it.

(02-05-2022, 02:13 PM)Jag88 Wrote: Excited after watching the press conference. Now it's time to see who the coach picks for staff and then we are all looking forward to talk draft speculation the next 2 months
After this coaching search, I’m very much looking forward to arguing Thibs Vs Hutch and Neal Vs Cross Vs Ekwonu

Pederson was the correct choice. I can't remember the last time the jags got a coach or player that was my #1 pick of the bunch. Very exciting.

(02-05-2022, 02:23 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Pederson was the correct choice. I can't remember the last time the jags got a coach or player that was my #1 pick of the bunch. Very exciting.

I would've been good with any of Pederson, Byron, Daboll, Caldwell, or Hackett. Any of them would've been a good pick IMO.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

One thing I found encouraging was Khan's description of the coaching search.

Specificaly, he was saying that through his search, he learned about how other teams structured their front offices, and as a result, he is going to operate the team with a bigger football operations.

For years, the Bengals were a horrible franchise, in large part because they operated with a bare bones budget when it came to scouting and football operations.

I shudder to think we may have been making the same mistake.

However, I have to give Khan some credit here. I was beginning to think either he didn't care about winning, and worse, didn't have the curiosity needed to get better at owning. But if he holds true to his assertion he will bring more people into football operations, including an EVP, I iwill be impressed.

Now that still hans to translate into...you know...actually winning more games per year than you can count on one hand, but that sounds promising.

Pederson said he didn't think he was not behind in terms of assembling a staff, but was behind in things like coaching.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(02-05-2022, 01:43 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(02-05-2022, 01:42 PM)B-SMOOTH Wrote: Yes, he alluded to that again just now, in that interviews have taken place and are taking place. Did not directly confirm or deny Spielman convos.

Let's see what happens.

When asked about it he talked about procedure, in other words he's hiring him but first he has to satisfy the league checkbox.

If it is solely Rooney rule though, interviewing a minority candidate for that role now but as a sham would be a major PR issue after the Flores lawsuit news.

So if anything we should probably view this as Spielman is the frontrunner, but expect a few more interviews and maybe some leaks that they are really being considered?

But who would those minority candidates be? Didn't they already interview Caldwell for HC? Dungy probably doesn't want to get back into FO? I honestly don't know who they would interview for that position as a minority candidate.

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2022, 02:30 PM by SeldomRite.)

(02-05-2022, 02:25 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-05-2022, 02:23 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Pederson was the correct choice. I can't remember the last time the jags got a coach or player that was my #1 pick of the bunch. Very exciting.

I would've been good with any of Pederson, Byron, Daboll, Caldwell, or Hackett. Any of them would've been a good pick IMO.

There seemed to be a lot of reasonable candidates, but I always looked at Pedersen as the top guy. To me he's like Coughlin when the Giants hired him, a guy that shouldn't have been available to start with, and who has already proven their self as a head coach of the highest ability. The eagles screw up is our gain.

(This post was last modified: 02-05-2022, 02:46 PM by tomfin2022. Edited 3 times in total.)

Looking at it from the opposite perspective of “If was a fan of Baalke, how would I feel about this press conference?”, the answer is “I’m not ready to panic, but I’m definitely not feeling warm and fuzzy either.”

Obviously, even if Shad has made up his mind to move on from Baalke, he’s not going to come right out and say “We’re just waiting to get all of the pieces in place, and then we’re moving on from Trent.”

However, if I’m Shad, and I have no intention of moving on from Baalke, this press conference was a good opportunity to make that absolutely clear.  I really didn’t hear a definitive endorsement from Shad aside from the usual “We’re all a big, happy family here.” fluff.  Did anyone else?