Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
A Sobering Look at the Task Before us

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2022, 01:17 PM by MoJagFan. Edited 1 time in total.)

I love mojo. Nice banter wirh Prisco.

Honestly  competitve roster is the next step. Winning at the .500 level and being competive week to week is how you move forward. We don't need flukey seasons. The steeler approach let them get to the post season enough they had shots at super bowls.

We need a talent rich rosters that can gel and do surprising things. When you have to compete against other talented teams, it produces rivalry and jealousy that creates memorible games.

I hope we ars witnessing steps forward.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The point of a franchise quarterback is not to win the Super Bowl every year. Brady set very unrealistic expectations. However, if you have a quarterback that is good enough to get you into the playoffs year after year, eventually you may just have a chance for the cards to fall your way.

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2022, 01:59 PM by Caldrac.)

Trading down is vital in this year's draft. If they can't trade down they need to land four starters in total between picks 1, 33, 65 & 70.

Hutchinson, Neal or Thibodeaux. RD1.

McBride, Ebiketie, Raimann or Dotson. RD2.

Muma, Kolar, Tolbert or Zion Johnson. RD3.

Adding starters at T/G, DE, TE, LB and WR are musts in this draft. The talent is there.

Would be excited with:

1. Hutchinson - DE
33. McBride - TE
65. Muma - LB
70. Johnson - G/RT

Or

1. Neal - LT
33. Ebiketie - DE
65. Tolbert - WR
70. Kolar - TE

Obviously free agency will factor in.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(02-06-2022, 01:59 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Trading down is vital in this year's draft. If they can't trade down they need to land four starters in total between picks 1, 33, 65 & 70.

Adding starters at T/G, DE, TE, LB and WR are musts in this draft. The talent is there.

Would be excited with:

1. Hutchinson - DE
33. McBride - TE
65. Muma - LB
70. Johnson - G/RT

Or

1. Neal - LT
33. Ebiketie - DE
65. Tolbert - WR
70. Kolar - TE

apparently Johnson had a great senior bowl… idk if he will be around at 70ish

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2022, 02:41 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(02-06-2022, 10:34 AM)Bullseye Wrote: However, the AFC is absolutely loaded with young, franchise level signal callers.  

Patrick Mahomes - BRADY - Brady
Justin Herbert - RIVERS - Rivers (herbert has potential)
Derek Carr - FLACCO - Tie
Joe Burrow - P. MANNING - Manning
Lamar Jackson - VINCE YOUNG - Jackson
Baker Mayfield - ANDY DALTON - tie
Josh Allen - ROETHLISBERGER - very close
Mac Jones - ANDREW LUCK - Luck easily (Mac Jones sucks other than game manager) !!

I tried to compare ~ 10 years ago to the current day QB.  The QBs from 10 years ago look better than the current QBs.  The 10 year stretch of Brady, Manning, Ben, and Rivers was like no other in a single conference.

(02-06-2022, 02:40 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(02-06-2022, 10:34 AM)Bullseye Wrote: However, the AFC is absolutely loaded with young, franchise level signal callers.  

Mac Jones - ANDREW LUCK - Luck easily (Mac Jones sucks other than game manager) !!

I tried to compare ~ 10 years ago to the current day QB.  The QBs from 10 years ago look better than the current QBs.  The 10 year stretch of Brady, Manning, Ben, and Rivers was like no other in a single conference.

Good point when you lay it out like that.

March first the nfl combine starts. It should be interesting to see what players rise up the draft charts

(02-06-2022, 02:25 PM)JagsorDie Wrote:
(02-06-2022, 01:59 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Trading down is vital in this year's draft. If they can't trade down they need to land four starters in total between picks 1, 33, 65 & 70.

Would be excited with:

1. Hutchinson - DE
33. McBride - TE
65. Muma - LB
70. Johnson - G/RT

Or

1. Neal - LT
33. Ebiketie - DE
65. Tolbert - WR
70. Kolar - TE

apparently Johnson had a great senior bowl… idk if he will be around at 70ish

He did. They had him playing Center at the Senior Bowl, which even added to his value even more.

(02-06-2022, 01:13 PM)MojoKing Wrote: Brady
Manning
Rothlisberger
McNair
Rivers
Palmer
Plummer

This thing is never easy. It’s always been that way. Always will be. Talent is constantly recycling.

Agreed that it's always tough, but as impressive as your list is, it doesn't compare with mine in terms of age.

By 2004, McNair was in the league ten (10) seasons and was 31.  He only played 3 more seasons after that.  He was not young.

Manning had played in the league seven (7) years and was 28 by 2004.   Not young in NFL terms (though he continued to play for a decade more).

Tom Brady was 27 by 2004.  Jake Plummer played 8 years and was 30 by2004 when Rivers and Big Ben arrived.  Again, not Young by NFL standards.

In my initial list, by contrast...Mahomes is 26, Allen is 25, Burrow is 25, Justin Herbert is 23, Lamar Jackson is 24, Mac Jones is 23, Mayfield is 26.

That primary list did not include Deshaun Watson, who is only 25, Zach Wilson, is 22, and Trevor Lawrence is 22.

The group I listed is younger overall and all more closely concentrated in age  than the group you listed above.

Of course, the fact many of your guys were older than my group didn't make them any less great or make them any easier to beat in the playoffs.  But the concentration of young, talented signal callers (which is part of my point) we now see in the AFC is unlike anything I've seen before.  That combination of youth and talent will mean TL will have to excel for longer and make more opponents tougher to beat for a longer period of time.  The surrounding talent requirement is exacerbated because of that.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2022, 04:37 PM by Jaguarmeister. Edited 1 time in total.)

The most important competition is within the division. I believe Watson will sooner rather than later make his exit from the AFC South which will leave the cupboard kinda bare at QB in the division and I would take Lawrence 100 times out of 100 over the other remaining guys. If Lawrence takes the jump I expect him to in the 2022 season, I think we'll be in pretty good position to be in contention for the division title year in and year out very soon after which leads to at least 1 home playoff game. I'll take my chances in the playoffs at that point.

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2022, 04:37 PM by ATLjag.)

Gaining a quality signal caller and experienced good coach have checked a couple boxes of the tasks needed to compete at a playoff caliber. The next step is, obviously, to improve the talent on the roster, especially at some keys positions. Aggressiveness in free agency (signing some A/B level talent), along with draft success (a combination of luck and skill) will be needed to get this roster turned around. The good news IMO is, although the AFC has a multitude of good young QBs, the AFC South in particular is a 'more winnable' division.

I hope we go big in free agency. Give this team a chance at success! It worked in 2017. We have the right foundation in place to do it this year.

(02-06-2022, 02:40 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

Again, not saying the QBs of that era are not unimpressive.  But that list is spread out over a much larger period of time.  Flacco came into the league in 2008.  Dalton entered the league in 2011.  Luck came in 2012.  The guys on your list came into the league over a span of FIFTEEN (15) years.  My initial list came into the league over a span of FIVE (5) years.  Keep in mind, my initial list would have been enhanced had I included DeShaun Watson, whom I excluded from the initial list because of his legal trouble and potential trade out of the conference.  If he clears his legal hurdle and resumes his career in the AFC, he is returned to the list.

Oh yeah...Vince Young?  Seriously?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(02-06-2022, 04:43 PM)Newton Wrote: I hope we go big in free agency. Give this team a chance at success! It worked in 2017. We have the right foundation in place to do it this year.

Baalke said he was going to take an ever bigger role in our FA process this year, and every player and agent in the league hates us. We'll be stuck overpaying tier 3/4 FAs as if they were tier 2 FAs like we did last year with Jenkins/RRH types.

(02-06-2022, 10:39 AM)Jagwired Wrote: Hasn't this always been the case though? Elite QBs certainly help but have never been the whole enchilada.

80% of elite QBs won SBs....

So yes it isnt a myth, its true.

(02-06-2022, 05:11 PM)Upper Wrote:
(02-06-2022, 04:43 PM)Newton Wrote: I hope we go big in free agency. Give this team a chance at success! It worked in 2017. We have the right foundation in place to do it this year.

Baalke said he was going to take an ever bigger role in our FA process this year, and every player and agent in the league hates us. We'll be stuck overpaying tier 3/4 FAs as if they were tier 2 FAs like we did last year with Jenkins/RRH types.

I'm confused. If we're supposedly hiring an EVP to be above Baalke, wouldn't they be in charge of free agency and the draft? If not, why hire one? Would it just be for optics in order to fool the fans into thinking Baalke was demoted? We want someone else to be in charge of the draft and free agency. If Baalke is still in charge of these areas, nothing changes no matter who the head coach is. What would the new EVP's duties even be?

(This post was last modified: 02-06-2022, 05:26 PM by Upper. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-06-2022, 05:19 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-06-2022, 05:11 PM)Upper Wrote: Baalke said he was going to take an ever bigger role in our FA process this year, and every player and agent in the league hates us. We'll be stuck overpaying tier 3/4 FAs as if they were tier 2 FAs like we did last year with Jenkins/RRH types.

I'm confused. If we're supposedly hiring an EVP to be above Baalke, wouldn't they be in charge of free agency and the draft? If not, why hire one? Would it just be for optics in order to fool the fans into thinking Baalke was demoted? We want someone else to be in charge of the draft and free agency. If Baalke is still in charge of these areas, nothing changes no matter who the head coach is. What would the new EVP's duties even be?

No, the EVP is supposed to be the guy in charge of everything that keeps everyone in their lane, but let's them do their job and does his best not to step on toes. That was Coughlin's problem, he still wanted to be a coach and tried to meddle in everything.

But, it's also a made up position so it can be different things for different teams and different people in their position. I think it's definitely going to be different for Spielman than it was for Coughlin.

(02-06-2022, 05:23 PM)Upper Wrote:
(02-06-2022, 05:19 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'm confused. If we're supposedly hiring an EVP to be above Baalke, wouldn't they be in charge of free agency and the draft? If not, why hire one? Would it just be for optics in order to fool the fans into thinking Baalke was demoted? We want someone else to be in charge of the draft and free agency. If Baalke is still in charge of these areas, nothing changes no matter who the head coach is. What would the new EVP's duties even be?

No, the EVP is supposed to be the guy in charge of everything that keeps everyone in their lane, but let's them do their job and does his best not to step on toes. That was Coughlin's problem, he still wanted to be a coach and tried to meddle in everything.

But, it's also a made up position so it can be different things for different teams and different people in their position. I think it's definitely going to be different for Spielman than it was for Coughlin.

So there is still hope that a new EVP will assume the duties of drafting and free agency?

(02-06-2022, 05:14 PM)YouMadThough Wrote:
(02-06-2022, 10:39 AM)Jagwired Wrote: Hasn't this always been the case though? Elite QBs certainly help but have never been the whole enchilada.

80% of elite QBs won SBs....

So yes it isnt a myth, its true.

But, since a large part of whether you define a quarterback as elite has to do with whether he won a Super Bowl, it's a kind of circular reasoning.  
80% of elite quarterbacks have won Super Bowls but they became elite by winning a Super Bowl.  
So of course 80% of elite quarterbacks have won Super Bowls.  That's how they became recognized as elite.

I think the assumption that free agents will not want to come to Jacksonville is probably premature. With the new coaching staff that is player friendly, and a new EVP that ultimately controls the roster of decisions, I’m not sure the gm will really be a big problem.