Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What Rick Spielman Would Bring to the Jaguars

(02-08-2022, 03:07 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-08-2022, 02:48 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: That would be the biggest disappointment of the year. We all have our hopes up that someone will be brought in to hold Baalke in check and for that not to happen, would be soul crushing.

Frangie isn't saying there won't be an EVP over Baalke, so your soul is safe in this case.  There will be an EVP, and he will be over Baalke.   But Frangie thinks Spielman will be the assistant GM, not the EVP.  

Which doesn't make any sense to me at all.  But there it is.

As i believe other posters in other threads have speculated, the GM role (at least the choosing of talent) may end up being a group effort between Pederson, Baalke and whoever is hired as EVP. Since EVP doesnt seem to have clearly defined responsibilities in general, it seems like this could be one of a few different options.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Getting a little antsy, waiting to hear about Spielman or whoever else is added to the front office. I hope they get hired soon enough to impact free agency!
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]

(02-11-2022, 12:48 PM)Sibelius Wrote: Getting a little antsy, waiting to hear about Spielman or whoever else is added to the front office. I hope they get hired soon enough to impact free agency!

I'm still not too concerned yet, but as I said in a different thread my caution meter is rising a little each day.

Would it really shock anyone if Baalke and Shad gaslit us and said they were going to hire an EVP and asst GM to placate the fans and get their last ditch HC candidate to agree to being hired with no intention of actually doing it, while hoping that over the next weeks and months everyone lets the flames fade away? Wouldn't shock me in the slightest.

(02-11-2022, 02:16 PM)Upper Wrote:
(02-11-2022, 12:48 PM)Sibelius Wrote: Getting a little antsy, waiting to hear about Spielman or whoever else is added to the front office. I hope they get hired soon enough to impact free agency!

I'm still not too concerned yet, but as I said in a different thread my caution meter is rising a little each day.

Would it really shock anyone if Baalke and Shad gaslit us and said they were going to hire an EVP and asst GM to placate the fans and get their last ditch HC candidate to agree to being hired with no intention of actually doing it, while hoping that over the next weeks and months everyone lets the flames fade away? Wouldn't shock me in the slightest.

No, it would not and that's what i'm afraid of.

I'm pretty sure they will hire an EVP and assistant GM.  It's taking some time to comply with league regulations regarding the Rooney rule and all that.  Plus, as we have seen in the head coach search, Shad Khan has become very deliberate and cautious when it comes to hiring.

(02-11-2022, 02:43 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-11-2022, 02:16 PM)Upper Wrote: I'm still not too concerned yet, but as I said in a different thread my caution meter is rising a little each day.

No, it would not and that's what i'm afraid of.

I certainly don't trust them to not consider it, but I'd hope the local and national media would hold them accountable for what they promised in Pederson's press conference. I'd also be surprised if Pederson would be a part of that. I think they had to make some promises to him about the front office to get him to take the job. But this foot dragging nonsense could result in Baalke have the unhampered ability to destroy another round of free agency before someone who knows what he's doing is actually hired and ready to work.
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]

given how backward we tend to do things, I expect Baalke to be tasked with hiring his superior.

(02-11-2022, 02:44 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-11-2022, 02:16 PM)Upper Wrote: I'm still not too concerned yet, but as I said in a different thread my caution meter is rising a little each day.

I'm pretty sure they will hire an EVP and assistant GM.  It's taking some time to comply with league regulations regarding the Rooney rule and all that.  Plus, as we have seen in the head coach search, Shad Khan has become very deliberate and cautious when it comes to hiring.

I hear national sources saying that the Rooney rule is not in effect here because this is a 'special' position without clearly defined duties. True?
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(02-11-2022, 05:11 PM)Mikey Wrote:

given how backward we tend to do things, I expect Baalke to be tasked with hiring his superior.

*weeks from now*
"Sorry Shad I know I told you I filed EVP request papers to the league but I forgot to fill in some key data so nothing has been approved yet. Now it's too late to bring in a superior and get them up to speed before FA/draft, might as well just keep everything as is until next offseason at this point."

(02-11-2022, 02:44 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:

If the Jaguars were currently in the process of interviewing minorities for EVP and assistant GM, wouldn't we likely hear about it?  Agents love to promote the fact that they got their client interviews.

Yeah Baalke is doing free agency and the draft. Pederson has input that Baalke will ignore. Pederson should have insisted on the front office changes before signing. Baalke has Shad wrapped around his finger.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(02-11-2022, 06:38 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(02-11-2022, 02:44 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I'm pretty sure they will hire an EVP and assistant GM.  It's taking some time to comply with league regulations regarding the Rooney rule and all that.  Plus, as we have seen in the head coach search, Shad Khan has become very deliberate and cautious when it comes to hiring.

If the Jaguars were currently in the process of interviewing minorities for EVP and assistant GM, wouldn't we likely hear about it?  Agents love to promote the fact that they got their client interviews.

Well we did hear about Spielman. There are a lot of reasons we may not be hearing about anyone else, including the possibility that no one wants to do a sham interview in the current climate, and if Spielman is a foregone conclusion then it would be a sham interview.

(02-12-2022, 10:23 AM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(02-11-2022, 06:38 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: If the Jaguars were currently in the process of interviewing minorities for EVP and assistant GM, wouldn't we likely hear about it?  Agents love to promote the fact that they got their client interviews.

Well we did hear about Spielman. There are a lot of reasons we may not be hearing about anyone else, including the possibility that no one wants to do a sham interview in the current climate, and if Spielman is a foregone conclusion then it would be a sham interview.

With the current climate as an owner I would require the agent and candidate to sign a non disclosure agreement as a condition of the interview.  This is not out of the ordinary if there is an incumbent in place. I have been on both sides of that fence in life. Sure it may limit the people agreeing to an interview, but would you really want those people anyways.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(This post was last modified: 02-13-2022, 01:18 PM by bobbycat.)

(02-13-2022, 12:48 PM)Jag149 Wrote:
(02-12-2022, 10:23 AM)SeldomRite Wrote: Well we did hear about Spielman. There are a lot of reasons we may not be hearing about anyone else, including the possibility that no one wants to do a sham interview in the current climate, and if Spielman is a foregone conclusion then it would be a sham interview.

With the current climate as an owner I would require the agent and candidate to sign a non disclosure agreement as a condition of the interview.  This is not out of the ordinary if there is an incumbent in place. I have been on both sides of that fence in life. Sure it may limit the people agreeing to an interview, but would you really want those people anyways.

(02-13-2022, 01:13 PM)bobbycat Wrote:
(02-13-2022, 12:48 PM)Jag149 Wrote: With the current climate as an owner I would require the agent and candidate to sign a non disclosure agreement as a condition of the interview.  This is not out of the ordinary if there is an incumbent in place. I have been on both sides of that fence in life. Sure it may limit the people agreeing to an interview, but would you really want those people anyways.
I haven’t seen this posted but Tom Gamble, Baalke’s “right hand man”, has resigned to go to Michigan. Could this be this a sign of rats leaving the Baalke ship?
https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/?p=51487

(02-13-2022, 01:13 PM)bobbycat Wrote:
(02-13-2022, 12:48 PM)Jag149 Wrote: With the current climate as an owner I would require the agent and candidate to sign a non disclosure agreement as a condition of the interview.  This is not out of the ordinary if there is an incumbent in place. I have been on both sides of that fence in life. Sure it may limit the people agreeing to an interview, but would you really want those people anyways.

I haven’t seen this posted but Tom Gamble, Baalke’s “right hand man”, has resigned to go to Michigan. Could this be this a sign of rats leaving the Baalke ship?
https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/?p=51487

Hope so, but not hearing anything regarding Rick is troubling, wonder if we got had by the rumor mill again.

Baalke preparing for the draft/FA without an EVP and Asst. GM is one of the worst scenarios for the fan base.

The Jags do have a professional scouting department, so lets not act foolish and pretend Baalke would be acting on his own.

Lol, his history says otherwise

Shad put it out there that he will be hiring the EVP and Asst GM roles. ....patience.

(02-14-2022, 08:25 AM)ATLjag Wrote: Shad put it out there that he will be hiring the EVP and Asst GM roles.  ....patience.

I agree.  Shad Khan has made a lot of bad decisions, but I don't recall him breaking promises or intentionally deceiving people.