Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags are Next Year's Bengals?

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2022, 06:40 AM by NH3. Edited 1 time in total.)

That's a Yeah/No for me. The Bengals had a system in place for three years prior to their rise to the SB. We're just getting started to put a system in place. It'll be a few years before we can entertain this thought.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

We are far removed from this reality. We could see a big turn around but I don't believe it will be in the win column. I think we will see more execution, scoring and opportunity to win.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2022, 12:04 PM by Caldrac.)

9 - 8 as the 7th seed. They go on a run and face off in the Superbowl against the Packers.

Book it.com

Book it. Yeah.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(02-18-2022, 06:12 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-18-2022, 05:23 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: It really just depends on Trevor. We have a better o line than they do and if we hit with Hutchinson our defense won’t be much worse than the Bengals. Find a WR1 hope chark plays well and Trevor can do the rest. It’s really not super far fetched to think, it all depends on Lawrence though.
Well just about the entire OLine is a FA and could possibly move on. They would need to really hit in FA.

Find a WR1? With who? Not sure there’s 1 out there unless they make a trade. Bengals have 2 WR1s which isn’t normal.

They also would need to get lucky in the playoffs. Not saying the Bengals didn’t earn the right to be there but the tacks sacked Burrow like 9 times and still won. Mahomes had his worst half of football ever and they won. 

But hey. I’m here for the ride if it happens!

I see the offensive line from a different viewpoint.  If you look at the starters, Linder and Taylor are under contract.  Bartch started most of the year and outplayed Cann.  I consider Bartch to be our starting guard and he's under contract.  While Cam Robinson is a free agent, we could use the franchise tag on him.  He's back if we want him back.  That leaves Norwell as the only starter who might choose to leave.  Walker Little, a backup but one who many think should start, is also under contract.  It's true that we have a number of backups as free agents, but don't see that as a big deal.  It would be easy for the team retain most of last year's starting line if that's what they wanted.

Walker Little needs to start at left tackle. If we sign a free agent right tackle (or draft one), then the tackle positions are settled in my mind. The reality is that if Walker Little had played and not been injured, he would’ve been a high first round draft pick. His limited playing time last year was very impressive. I see no need to spend a high draft pick on the left tackle, when we already got a bargain on one probably better than what we are going to draft.

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2022, 04:41 PM by Upper.)

(02-19-2022, 03:43 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: It would be easy for the team retain most of last year's starting line if that's what they wanted.

Bartch started the season pretty well, but fell off quite a bit. He needs to take another step to be a legit starting OL. Taylor is bottom tier at RT. Little and Linder are the only starting caliber players on the oline, and even that is shaky since Little has only done it for a few games and Linder is perpetually hurt.

If we tag Cam and if Linder can stay healthy I think we are 3/5 of the way there. Re-sign Shatley cause he's a top shelf backup IOL, then sign one and draft one IOL each and we can have a OL good enough that Trevor can succeed.

This is probably the easiest way for us to improve because IOL is one of the biggest strengths in both FA and the draft.

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2022, 04:52 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(02-19-2022, 04:28 PM)Newton Wrote: Walker Little needs to start at left tackle. If we sign a free agent right tackle (or draft one), then the tackle positions are settled in my mind. The reality is that if Walker Little had played and not been injured, he would’ve been a high first round draft pick. His limited playing time last year was very impressive. I see no need to spend a high draft pick on the left tackle, when we already got a bargain on one probably better than what we are going to draft.

Agreed with Little, I'm pretty confident he will be our LT next year.  The sky is the limit for him and his ceiling is as high as any tackle in last years draft.  A few years ago before the injury most thought he would be the 1st tackle taken. We need to upgrade RT, Trent Brown would be a nice upgrade and way less penalties

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2022, 05:39 PM by jagherd. Edited 3 times in total.)

(02-18-2022, 10:14 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: And all of this roster disparity between these two clubs was quite difficult to see when they faced off against each other. The Bengals didn't win that game, they survived it. They probably don't even manage that if their opposition didn’t have a hopeless moron as a head coach.

The Week 4 Bengals were a MUCH different team than the Week 17 and later Bengals. Cincy continued to develop/improve as the year progressed (Their defense was a lot of new FA that hadn't gelled with each other yet).

Not to mention:
- Cincy was on a short week for that game after having just slayed their dragon Pittsburgh on the previous Sunday.
- Cincy was a notorious slow starting team, and seemed like they werent even focused/ready to play in the 1st half.

Jags gave them a scare to start, yes. But once Cincy woke up, Jags defense couldn't stop them. 

NFL partity is close. However, what do we think the game would be like if Cincy and Jags played in Week 17 instead of Week 4?  Probably not near as close, IMO. 

That all said, the AFCS really sucks. Yes, Tenn can get some wins with running and defense, but they're not elite to be sure. Indy is about the same, they have issues with QB and consistency.

Maybe the Jags can beat the Texans twice and split with Tenn and Indy putting them in possible shape for a division contention? It's not out of the realm of possibility. AFCW opponents next year is a tough draw for all AFCS teams.
But, the Jags do get:
Jets
Giants 
Lions
WFT (Commies)
Texans x2

Some games at home could be favorable (Raiders, Ravens, Broncos). Good to get those teams in Jax.

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2022, 05:37 PM by TheO-LineMatters. Edited 2 times in total.)

(02-18-2022, 10:14 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:
(02-18-2022, 09:13 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Not really. The Bengals had a franchise QB, 3 great WR's, a very good RB and a good run stuffer in D.J. Reader. They signed a premier DE in Hendrickson, they have a budding star at LB in Logan Wilson and they have one of the top Safeties in the NFL with Jessie Bates. That team had a lot of talent. The issue was whether all that talent would trump the mess they had on the O-Line. If they really address this issue in the offseason, the Bengals are my pick to win the 2022 Superbowl. 

With our team, it's a complete lack of talent. Hopefully, Lawrence turns into the franchise QB we all believe he can be, but other than that, the only really great player we have is our Punter. We have a ton of work to do.

I was speaking in general, in the sense of history of the league having 4 win teams from one year play in the Superbowl in the next. It doesn't happen often. And your post greatly benefits from hindsight, I doubt you had them as your pick to win the AFC before the season started.

And all of this roster disparity between these two clubs was quite difficult to see when they faced off against each other. The Bengals didn't win that game, they survived it. They probably don't even manage that if their opposition didn’t have a hopeless moron as a head coach.

I thought they would be good. I had them winning the AFC North, but I did not have them going far in the playoffs due to the state of the O-Line. I live in the Cincy area and all my friends are Bengals fans. I watch the Bengals play every week, due to where I live. Even though I'm not a Bengals fan, I could see the talent they had accumulated before the 2021 season. I believed Joe Burrow is the next great QB in the NFL from the minute he was drafted. He might not be Tom Brady, but I believe he will be close. They have the best trio of WR's in the NFL and even though I despise him, Joe Mixon is a good RB. For that offense alone and a stable defense, I thought they could win a weakened AFC North. The Steelers O-Line was weak and their QB was old, Baker Mayfield seemed to be regressing and teams are starting to figure out that if you keep a spy near the line of scrimmage and keep Lamar Jackson from taking off and running, he's not a very good passer. Cincinnati has the benefit of having an elite QB in a division where there is no other elite QB's. It wasn't hard to figure out that the Bengals were gonna be good before the 2021 season, I just underestimated how good they were gonna be. The only thing hindsight had to do with it was that I didn't think their offense would be as good as it was, considering the makeup of the O-Line.

With our team, it's much different. We don't have a single good receiver on the roster. Our O-Line is so-so at best. Three of our starting O-linemen are UFA's and so is our swing Tackle and our Center may be a cap casualty due to the fact that he's in the final year of his deal where he's due $10 million and he seems to always be injured. Our RB's are coming off of serious injuries, the only decent TE we had is coming off of injury and our franchise QB is a giant ? at this point. We also have major issues rushing the passer, both at DE and OLB and we can't cover opposing TE's with ILB's or Safeties. We have a ton of issues that need to be addressed before we can even think about reaching .500, much less making the playoffs.

Jags next year's Bengals?? 

Hell, I think we'd all be thrilled with 7 wins and competitive games in Doug's first year. We've only had 7 wins or more once since 2010 (2017 obviously). During that span, 6 of those seasons have been 4 wins or less  Sick 

We'll see what happens in FA and the Draft, but I wont be expecting much with Baalke running it.

More likely next year's broncos than bengals, but we'll see what free agency and the draft bring.

At least this time around whatever talent finally makes the final roster will have the support of a competent coaching staff.

Tbh improvements will happen but not bengals style improvements

(02-19-2022, 05:36 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-18-2022, 10:14 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: I was speaking in general, in the sense of history of the league having 4 win teams from one year play in the Superbowl in the next. It doesn't happen often. And your post greatly benefits from hindsight, I doubt you had them as your pick to win the AFC before the season started.

And all of this roster disparity between these two clubs was quite difficult to see when they faced off against each other. The Bengals didn't win that game, they survived it. They probably don't even manage that if their opposition didn’t have a hopeless moron as a head coach.

I thought they would be good. I had them winning the AFC North, but I did not have them going far in the playoffs due to the state of the O-Line. I live in the Cincy area and all my friends are Bengals fans. I watch the Bengals play every week, due to where I live. Even though I'm not a Bengals fan, I could see the talent they had accumulated before the 2021 season. I believed Joe Burrow is the next great QB in the NFL from the minute he was drafted. He might not be Tom Brady, but I believe he will be close. They have the best trio of WR's in the NFL and even though I despise him, Joe Mixon is a good RB. For that offense alone and a stable defense, I thought they could win a weakened AFC North. The Steelers O-Line was weak and their QB was old, Baker Mayfield seemed to be regressing and teams are starting to figure out that if you keep a spy near the line of scrimmage and keep Lamar Jackson from taking off and running, he's not a very good passer. Cincinnati has the benefit of having an elite QB in a division where there is no other elite QB's. It wasn't hard to figure out that the Bengals were gonna be good before the 2021 season, I just underestimated how good they were gonna be. The only thing hindsight had to do with it was that I didn't think their offense would be as good as it was, considering the makeup of the O-Line.

With our team, it's much different. We don't have a single good receiver on the roster. Our O-Line is so-so at best. Three of our starting O-linemen are UFA's and so is our swing Tackle and our Center may be a cap casualty due to the fact that he's in the final year of his deal where he's due $10 million and he seems to always be injured. Our RB's are coming off of serious injuries, the only decent TE we had is coming off of injury and our franchise QB is a giant ? at this point. We also have major issues rushing the passer, both at DE and OLB and we can't cover opposing TE's with ILB's or Safeties. We have a ton of issues that need to be addressed before we can even think about reaching .500, much less making the playoffs.

Well, that was my point about odds being against them ending up where they did. Nobody would have put them in the Superbowl before the season started. After they did, story crafters are quick to look for comparisons and they found one quickly in the Jags. We both agree the comparison isn't very direct, because for one, the Jags' roster is not as talented as the Bengals, though we differ on the gap. But really, it was long odds for the Bengals as it will be for the Jags. The odds are even worse for it to happen back to back.

(02-18-2022, 07:36 PM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote: You just knew that would be talked about this offseason, with the similarities and all. But the odds seem pretty low. Hell, the odds were low for the Bengals, now imagine calculating back-to-back odds.

That said, I don't think the roster is as bad as it appears at first glance. I think a lot of the ineptitude we witnessed last season was due to poor, underprepared coaching. Now, not to say the roster is great, or even good, but it might not need the multiple year overhaul some are predicting.

But the Jags in next year's Superbowl? I really doubt it.

Nice post I completely agree.  There were a lot of factors that made up our suckitude last year.  Losing your number one wr and a first round pass catching home run threat running back along with the coaching/GAMEPLAN ineptitude certainly didnt help.  Not playing cisco and walker the second half of the season didnt help.

Keep in mind also the bungles prly didnt finish with such a bad record last year if Burrow doesnt go down.  If some moving pieces line up i am hoping for anywhere from 5-8 wins next year.

I am optimistic and i really like the head coach hire.

On topic i sure do hope Travis has a full recovery from his injury.  He can be a difference maker.

(02-20-2022, 12:58 AM)Jagsfan4life9/28/82 Wrote:
(02-19-2022, 05:36 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I thought they would be good. I had them winning the AFC North, but I did not have them going far in the playoffs due to the state of the O-Line. I live in the Cincy area and all my friends are Bengals fans. I watch the Bengals play every week, due to where I live. Even though I'm not a Bengals fan, I could see the talent they had accumulated before the 2021 season. I believed Joe Burrow is the next great QB in the NFL from the minute he was drafted. He might not be Tom Brady, but I believe he will be close. They have the best trio of WR's in the NFL and even though I despise him, Joe Mixon is a good RB. For that offense alone and a stable defense, I thought they could win a weakened AFC North. The Steelers O-Line was weak and their QB was old, Baker Mayfield seemed to be regressing and teams are starting to figure out that if you keep a spy near the line of scrimmage and keep Lamar Jackson from taking off and running, he's not a very good passer. Cincinnati has the benefit of having an elite QB in a division where there is no other elite QB's. It wasn't hard to figure out that the Bengals were gonna be good before the 2021 season, I just underestimated how good they were gonna be. The only thing hindsight had to do with it was that I didn't think their offense would be as good as it was, considering the makeup of the O-Line.

Well, that was my point about odds being against them ending up where they did. Nobody would have put them in the Superbowl before the season started. After they did, story crafters are quick to look for comparisons and they found one quickly in the Jags. We both agree the comparison isn't very direct, because for one, the Jags' roster is not as talented as the Bengals, though we differ on the gap. But really, it was long odds for the Bengals as it will be for the Jags. The odds are even worse for it to happen back to back.

Agreed.

(02-19-2022, 12:04 PM)Caldrac Wrote: 9 - 8 as the 7th seed. They go on a run and face off in the Superbowl against the Packers.

Book it.com

Book it. Yeah.

no way Jags make Super Bowl,and even if  they did just like the bengals Jags will lose to the home team Cardnials. 

Mainly it takes time for teams to improve espailley the worst team in football who has the worst owner in sports histtorey.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(02-20-2022, 08:22 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote:
(02-19-2022, 12:04 PM)Caldrac Wrote: 9 - 8 as the 7th seed. They go on a run and face off in the Superbowl against the Packers.

Book it.com

Book it. Yeah.

no way Jags make Super Bowl,and even if  they did just like the bengals Jags will lose to the home team Cardnials. 

Mainly it takes time for teams to improve espailley the worst team in football who has the worst owner in sports histtorey.

So is this the latest goofy theory we're going to be hearing about all year?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(02-20-2022, 08:22 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote:

Book it.com

Book it. Yeah.

Never say never or no way possible. Anything is possible my friend. Sometimes you need luck. Sometimes you need a little spark. Someday you'll be dancing in the moonlight as you bask in a Jaguars Superbowl victory as you deserve Wolfster!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(02-18-2022, 03:51 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Seriously?  

https://www.nfl.com/videos/pff-teams-who...ngals-rams

While I believe that with Trevor Lawrence entering his second season with much better coaching and hopefully a better surrounding cast, the Jaguars are poised to make considerable improvement, expecting this team to make a Bengals type jump from league's worst to Super Bowl runner up would exceed all reasonable expectations.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(02-19-2022, 03:34 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(02-18-2022, 05:23 PM)JagsFanSince95 Wrote: It really just depends on Trevor. We have a better o line than they do and if we hit with Hutchinson our defense won’t be much worse than the Bengals. Find a WR1 hope chark plays well and Trevor can do the rest. It’s really not super far fetched to think, it all depends on Lawrence though.

This, I still see far to many people on this board who think it's a forgone conclusion that he's gonna be elite. I'm not tryna be pesimistic but he hasn't showed anything yet. Granted he didn't have a lot of help tho.

Could you point out some of these people that are saying he's going to be 'elite' since there are so many and all?

The statement that you bolded certainly isn't sayin that.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]