Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What current players should we trade?

(02-20-2022, 08:45 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-20-2022, 12:58 AM)Portofino43 Wrote: He dropped a lot of passes last year, but the guy can make plays when he does catch it.  Was it just bad hands, or was it the stress of a completely dysfunctional coaching situation?  He isn't costing us that much this year, and I agree with @flgatorsandjags.  His upside is worth keeping him around one more year with a decent coaching staff.
Shenault had no drop issues in 2020. 
Then had a major issue in 2021.

The difference between the two seasons is pass velocity. 

He went from Minshew lobs to Lawrence bullets. 
He could make the adjustment this offseason. 
Worth a try.

More importantly that same "something" happened to all the pass catchers last year. Just about every one of them had critical drops or balls that bounced off their hands and got picked. It was probably a combo of new QB, bad play calling, and subpar coaching and I expect to see better this season since all those things will be resolved.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-20-2022, 06:36 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-19-2022, 10:04 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: What in God's name makes you think that? He dropped very catchable passes right and left last season. He was nothing short of terrible.

When I think of our past record of cutting or trading or not re-signing players, and see how they are now starting on better teams, then my default position is, stop getting rid of players.  Don't trade away players, especially starters.  

I vote no.  No trades.  Draft, develop, RETAIN.

But they probably wouldn't be starters on any other team in the NFL, but ours.

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2022, 11:05 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(02-20-2022, 08:45 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(02-20-2022, 12:58 AM)Portofino43 Wrote: He dropped a lot of passes last year, but the guy can make plays when he does catch it.  Was it just bad hands, or was it the stress of a completely dysfunctional coaching situation?  He isn't costing us that much this year, and I agree with @flgatorsandjags.  His upside is worth keeping him around one more year with a decent coaching staff.
Shenault had no drop issues in 2020. 

Worth a try.

Very good assessment. If we keep him through camp, I'd make him stand in front of a Jugs machine with the velocity turned all the way up and do nothing but catch footballs. When he is able to consistently hold onto 95% of 200 passes, he can resume practice with the rest of the team. Until then he does nothing but work on his hands.

(02-20-2022, 08:52 AM)ATLjag Wrote: With all the solid receiving TEs available in both the draft and free agency this year, and better fits in Pederson's system, I am hoping the Jags capitalize on this abundance and reform the TE group.  As such, the only TE I care to retain is Dan Arnold.  The rest that are not free agents, namely Manhertz and Farrell, should be dangled in the trade market.

Agreed, but I don't think anyone is gonna part with anything for Manhertz and Farrell. You'd almost certainly have to cut them outright.

(02-20-2022, 10:58 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-20-2022, 06:36 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: When I think of our past record of cutting or trading or not re-signing players, and see how they are now starting on better teams, then my default position is, stop getting rid of players.  Don't trade away players, especially starters.  

I vote no.  No trades.  Draft, develop, RETAIN.

But they probably wouldn't be starters on any other team in the NFL, but ours.

There are a lot of players we either traded away or let walk in free agency that are starting on better teams than ours.  

Besides, if they wouldn't be starting on any other team, we wouldn't be able to get anything in trade for them anyway.  

Our personnel problems aren't just bad drafting.  We've also failed to retain the good players we drafted.

(02-20-2022, 11:10 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-20-2022, 10:58 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: But they probably wouldn't be starters on any other team in the NFL, but ours.

There are a lot of players we either traded away or let walk in free agency that are starting on better teams than ours.  

Besides, if they wouldn't be starting on any other team, we wouldn't be able to get anything in trade for them anyway.  

Our personnel problems aren't just bad drafting.  We've also failed to retain the good players we drafted.

In those cases they were probably our best players, i.e. Ramsey, Ngakoue, Robinson, etc. and they just did not wanna be here for whatever reason. We don't have any of those caliber players left on this team. Now, our best players are now just so-so when compared to other players in the rest of the league. I'm not talking about trading good players anyway. I just wanna see if we can trade players who are currently liabilities. The players I offered up have either proven to be mistakes or are completely miscasts in out current scheme.

(02-20-2022, 11:10 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-20-2022, 10:58 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: But they probably wouldn't be starters on any other team in the NFL, but ours.

(Emphasis added)

Correctamundo!

Trading away or prematurely cutting or otherwise failing to retain the players that we hit in the draft leaves us building on a treadmill and always behind the curve from a talent perspective.

That has to stop!

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(02-20-2022, 11:28 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-20-2022, 11:10 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: There are a lot of players we either traded away or let walk in free agency that are starting on better teams than ours.  

(Emphasis added)

Correctamundo!

Trading away or prematurely cutting or otherwise failing to retain the players that we hit in the draft leaves us building on a treadmill and always behind the curve from a talent perspective.

That has to stop!

While I agree in theory, what if a player just refuses to play for this team anymore like Ramsey and Ngakoue did? Ramsey faked an injury in order to sit out until he was traded. Players are forcing team's hands anymore to get what they want. What do we do then? Do we force them to stay here while they chose to sit on I.R. with their "phantom injuries" or do we trade them and try to get the best deal we can?

(02-20-2022, 11:04 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-20-2022, 08:45 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Shenault had no drop issues in 2020. 

Worth a try.

Very good assessment. If we keep him through camp, I'd make him stand in front of a Jugs machine with the velocity turned all the way up and do nothing but catch footballs. When he is able to consistently hold onto 95% of 200 passes, he can resume practice with the rest of the team. Until then he does nothing but work on his hands.

(02-20-2022, 08:52 AM)ATLjag Wrote: With all the solid receiving TEs available in both the draft and free agency this year, and better fits in Pederson's system, I am hoping the Jags capitalize on this abundance and reform the TE group.  As such, the only TE I care to retain is Dan Arnold.  The rest that are not free agents, namely Manhertz and Farrell, should be dangled in the trade market.

Agreed, but I don't think anyone is gonna part with anything for Manhertz and Farrell. You'd almost certainly have to cut them outright".

"If we keep him"?!?! Bro, you're flirting with the line of being that crackpot in KC that thinks we're going to trade them Josh Allen. LS10 isn't going anywhere this season.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(02-20-2022, 11:36 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(02-20-2022, 11:04 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Very good assessment. If we keep him through camp, I'd make him stand in front of a Jugs machine with the velocity turned all the way up and do nothing but catch footballs. When he is able to consistently hold onto 95% of 200 passes, he can resume practice with the rest of the team. Until then he does nothing but work on his hands.

Agreed, but I don't think anyone is gonna part with anything for Manhertz and Farrell. You'd almost certainly have to cut them outright".

"If we keep him"?!?! Bro, you're flirting with the line of being that crackpot in KC that thinks we're going to trade them Josh Allen. LS10 isn't going anywhere this season.

Why keep a WR that can't catch? That's like keeping a RB that can't run, a QB that can't throw, a kicker that can't kick or a LB that can't tackle. Sometimes players just are what they are and you have to accept it and move on. Shenault is never gonna be a star player. I doubt he ever even turns out to even be average. Some people believe we let players go too early, but in those cases the players forced our hands. I personally believe we hold onto unproductive players way too long i.e. K'Lavon Chaisson, Jawaan Taylor, A.J. Cann and Taven Bryan. Bryan may start drawing retirement checks from this team, since it seems like he's been here forever. None of these guys have contributed anything of value to this team, but they are still here. Why?

(02-20-2022, 11:35 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-20-2022, 11:28 AM)Bullseye Wrote: (Emphasis added)

Correctamundo!

That has to stop!

While I agree in theory, what if a player just refuses to play for this team anymore like Ramsey and Ngakoue did? Ramsey faked an injury in order to sit out until he was traded. Players are forcing team's hands anymore to get what they want. What do we do then? Do we force them to stay here while they chose to sit on I.R. with their "phantom injuries" or do we trade them and try to get the best deal we can?

I'm not aware of any current Jaguar players who are trying to force a trade.  So that point is irrelevant.

(02-20-2022, 11:55 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-20-2022, 11:36 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: "If we keep him"?!?! Bro, you're flirting with the line of being that crackpot in KC that thinks we're going to trade them Josh Allen. LS10 isn't going anywhere this season.

Why keep a WR that can't catch? That's like keeping a RB that can't run, a QB that can't throw, a kicker that can't kick or a LB that can't tackle. Sometimes players just are what they are and you have to accept it and move on. Shenault is never gonna be a star player. I doubt he ever even turns out to even be average. Some people believe we let players go too early, but in those cases the players forced our hands. I personally believe we hold onto unproductive players way too long i.e. K'Lavon Chaisson, Jawaan Taylor, A.J. Cann and Taven Bryan. Bryan may start drawing retirement checks from this team, since it seems like he's been here forever. None of these guys have contributed anything of value to this team, but they are still here. Why?

He's a third year player at 23 years old who, along with the rest of this team, suffered the Urban Error last year. He's still averaging 60 catches and 700 yards even as bad as this team has been. So yeah, he's already better than you give him credit for. Is he great? Hardly. Does he need to work on his craft? Assuredly. But you talking about cutting him? C'mon now.

(02-19-2022, 10:04 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-19-2022, 10:03 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I'm not trading Shenault.  I think he shows out this year

What in God's name makes you think that? He dropped very catchable passes right and left last season. He was nothing short of terrible.

But his rookie year he didn't.  It was a sophmore slump and getting used to Trevor's throws.  I think this year they will will be a much better year for Shenault

I distinctly recall people complaining about Allen Robinson dropping the ball too much his first or second year.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(02-20-2022, 12:09 PM)RicoTx Wrote: I distinctly recall people complaining about Allen Robinson dropping the ball too much his first or second year.

I do as well. We all tend to give up on our players too quickly. The jump from college to pro on a normal team takes some adjusting, but on our dysfunctional team it can be much longer. I remember Dallas giving up on Jimmy Smith. Now, before someone gets bothered, I am not saying this guy is Jimmy (just to be clear)
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2022, 12:58 PM by iHaunting Raven. Edited 2 times in total.)

No reason to trade Schenault. He is young and no one is gonna trade much for him. Keep him and let's see what he can do with this new coaching staff.

Jack and Linder are the only options imo.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

We don't have enough talent on the roster to be sellers of any kind. Unless it's 200% clear the guy isn't resigning then I don't think it's in our best interest to make the roster worse and add another draft pick/young player that won't be useful for years.

Jawaan Taylor is better than Guy Whimper so i'm ok with him playing out his deal and seeing what the market brings, i'd prefer to go forward with Little & Cam Robinson at OT but we'll see what Pederson decides to do there.

Under no circumstances should we trade Josh Allen, if we get Thibs or Hutch across from him our Defense could be rebuilt to its former glory quickly!
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(02-20-2022, 01:01 PM)Firesky Wrote: We don't have enough talent on the roster to be sellers of any kind. Unless it's 200% clear the guy isn't resigning then I don't think it's in our best interest to make the roster worse and add another draft pick/young player that won't be useful for years.

Jawaan Taylor is better than Guy Whimper so i'm ok with him playing out his deal and seeing what the market brings, i'd prefer to go forward with Little & Cam Robinson at OT but we'll see what Pederson decides to do there.

Under no circumstances should we trade Josh Allen, if we get Thibs or Hutch across from him our Defense could be rebuilt to its former glory quickly!

Oh, my God, you played the Guy Whimper card!  Well done.  I had forgotten about him.

(02-20-2022, 12:57 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: No reason to trade Schenault. He is young and no one is gonna trade much for him. Keep him and let's see what he can do with this new coaching staff.

Jack and Linder are the only options imo.

We would likely get extremely little to nothing for Linder.  He 30 with a record of injuries and a $9.5 million salary.  He's also on the last year of his contract.  As such, he would be a one year rental for a team.  No team is going to give much, if anything, for that.  I would keep Linder and try to draft a center in the 3rd of 4th round.  Centers often fall in the draft.  He can be depth for year 1.  Given Linder's record of injuries, it wouldn't be surprising if the pick got significant playing time in 2022.  Assuming the draft pick looks good, he can take over as the starter in 2023.

I will say Jack is the only one who is a trade possibility.  You can make the argument that he's a bad scheme fit if we assume we stick with the 3-4.  He's also one that we might get something good in return.  Some thought he played at a pro-bowl level in 2020 in the 4-3 scheme.  If another team that runs the 4-3 agrees, they might offer a good pick.  However, I only considering trading Jack if it is for a good pick.

(02-20-2022, 11:59 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(02-20-2022, 11:35 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: While I agree in theory, what if a player just refuses to play for this team anymore like Ramsey and Ngakoue did? Ramsey faked an injury in order to sit out until he was traded. Players are forcing team's hands anymore to get what they want. What do we do then? Do we force them to stay here while they chose to sit on I.R. with their "phantom injuries" or do we trade them and try to get the best deal we can?

I'm not aware of any current Jaguar players who are trying to force a trade.  So that point is irrelevant.

It happened to us in the recent past with Ramsey and Ngakoue. We were discussing this team not being able to retain players that we drafted. Why wouldn't it be relevant?

(02-20-2022, 11:35 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-20-2022, 11:28 AM)Bullseye Wrote: (Emphasis added)

Correctamundo!

That has to stop!

I'm in agreement with keeping our good players, but I also think many have fuzzy memories regarding Ramsey and Ngakoue.  It's not like the Jaguars set out to trade them for no reason.  They were both holding out and the Jaguars felt their hands were tied.  People also forget that we got a lot in return for them.  In exchange for Ramsey and Ngakoue, the Jaguars got two first rounders, a second rounder, a fourth rounder and a fifth rounder.  Justin Jefferson was available with one of those first round picks.  We could have had Justin Jefferson, a first rounder, a second rounder, a fourth rounder and a fifth rounder.  If you prefer quality over quantity, we could have used the second, fourth and fifth round picks to trade up in the first round.  That should have gotten us a very quality starter to go along with Justin Jefferson.  Yes, we lost two quality players, but we should have gained at least two quality players as a result and saved a bunch of salary cap space at the same time.  This team wasn't destroyed because of those trades.  The Jaguars suffered because of poor drafting after the trades.