Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Russia invades Ukraine

Get ready for higher fuel prices and more inflation.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-24-2022, 09:18 AM by Caldrac.)

Yeah. Saw something along the lines of $7 potentially per gallon. Sanctions are not going to cut it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Cui Bono though. Cui Bono?

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

History shows that these kind of things can be very unpredictable. World War 1 started when Austria decided to punish Serbia for the assassination of the Austrian Archduke. It seemed like a small thing at the time. World War 2 started because we allowed a dictator to invade his neighbors.

Russia might have a plan, but plans go awry. The Ukrainians might defend themselves better than he thought they would. Then he casts about for blame. And he blames the United States for all those dead Russian soldiers coming home in body bags. Or, Western sanctions might hurt the Russian economy so badly that Putin declares the sanctions an act of war.

This thing could quickly spiral out of control. Or, it might slowly spiral out of control. We don't know. One thing I do know is, this is a lot more dangerous than people think.

(This post was last modified: 02-24-2022, 09:40 AM by Caldrac.)

Will be interesting. Biden will have to make a move here soon. It's midterms. Soldiers were stationed in Romania in preparation for this with Russia and Ukraine.

He can try and descalate the situation skirmish wise. Instead of it leading into another War. Here's the thing. You have to know the media is in on it. They'll paint the narrative to fit the needs of the Government. Whether it's a hoax or not. Doesn't matter. The majority will swallow that lunch meat up at 800 PM every night.

Good chance everything you see Geopolitically is theater now. There's kickback money for these politicians to take falls in a political sense as they can spin propaganda in their own countries.

Biden looks good here. Putin looks good there. It'll either descalate by the end of March.

Or, WWIII happens... maybe.

Politicians are always the problem though. Far too many are bought and paid for. Delusional. Or politically propagandized.

While others are too old and don't understand the technology that runs the world. These people are supposed to regulate this stuff and break up monopolies but instead are investing in the same companies that they're supposed to curtail.

Somebody is ultimately benefiting from all of this.

It's beyond embarassing.

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(02-24-2022, 09:12 AM)jagibelieve Wrote: Get ready for higher fuel prices and more inflation.

And higher prices on everything fuel powers/carries.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(02-24-2022, 09:37 AM)Caldrac Wrote: Politicians are always the problem though. Far too many are bought and paid for. Delusional. Or politically propagandized.

While others are too old and don't understand the technology that runs the world. These people are supposed to regulate this stuff and break up monopolies but instead are investing in the same companies that they're supposed to curtail.

Somebody is ultimately benefiting from all of this.

It's beyond embarassing.

The only reason anyone cares is that all the dems are neck deep in the corruption in Ukraine. They get a ton of money from there and they don't want to lose that. There is also the possibility of someone talking now.

Ukraine is not a cut and dry situation. The Russians in Eastern Ukraine are being persecuted for their ethnicity. Western Ukraine leaders were installed for corruption and haven't really done anything to unite the country.

Russia could come out looking good if they don't actually invade and let Ukraine take back Eastern Ukraine. Biden probably won't do anything as I'm not sure Ukrainian Army even wants to fight.

Will have to wait and see what happens. We are talking about a lot of money for liberals worldwide that is threatened right now. It could go either way.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

(02-24-2022, 09:52 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(02-24-2022, 09:12 AM)jagibelieve Wrote: Get ready for higher fuel prices and more inflation.

And higher prices on everything fuel powers/carries.

It's not just fuel.  We already have a major supply/chip shortage.  Many minerals required come from Ukraine.  As the price of oil goes up it helps Russia more.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

This is what happens when a country gets a power crazed, narcissistic, ex-KGB, mob boss as a leader. He was biding his time until Biden came into office, because he knows Democrats will offer little resistance to his aggression. This is just the first step. Putin wants to "Make Russia Great Again." I have read that he wants to annex certain countries that were once part of the Soviet Union. He couldn't stand that Ukraine was on the verge of joining Nato and knew he had to strike now, before that happened. Once he gets Ukraine, he will continue into other ex-Soviet nations as well.

(This post was last modified: 02-24-2022, 11:14 AM by mikesez. Edited 1 time in total.)

Nothing good will come of this.
One of the repeated themes in Russian history is it doesn't matter how many soldiers are brought to the fight, it matters how many actually fight.
Best case scenario is that Russians don't actually want to die for this, and they will lose their will once Ukrainian anti-tank and anti-aircraft weapons start inflicting damage.
Worst case scenario is Russia achieves all their military objectives, and we sanction the ever loving crap out of them, but the Russians never leave and we and our allies never see any cause to ease up on the sanctions. That leaves us and our allies having to long term plan on not having any food, wood, steel, oil, natural gas, or coal from Russia, and that leaves Russia massively militarized but with deep economic wounds. That's basically the situation that Japan festered in for four years before they finally lashed out at Pearl Harbor. The worst case seems more likely than the best case, unfortunately. And the worst case will have ramifications for long beyond the time that the tanks stop rolling and the mortars stop launching.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(02-24-2022, 11:13 AM)mikesez Wrote: Nothing good will come of this.
One of the repeated themes in Russian history is it doesn't matter how many soldiers are brought to the fight, it matters how many actually fight.
Best case scenario is that Russians don't actually want to die for this, and they will lose their will once Ukrainian anti-tank and anti-aircraft weapons start inflicting damage. 
Worst case scenario is Russia achieves all their military objectives, and we sanction the ever loving crap out of them, but the Russians never leave and we and our allies never see any cause to ease up on the sanctions.  That leaves us and our allies having to long term plan on not having any food, wood, steel, oil, natural gas, or coal from Russia, and that leaves Russia massively militarized but with deep economic wounds.  That's basically the situation that Japan festered in for four years before they finally lashed out at Pearl Harbor.  The worst case seems more likely than the best case, unfortunately.  And the worst case will have ramifications for long beyond the time that the tanks stop rolling and the mortars stop launching.

Afghanistan was just 10 years of Russian soldiers refusing to fight.

(02-24-2022, 11:21 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(02-24-2022, 11:13 AM)mikesez Wrote: Nothing good will come of this.
Worst case scenario is Russia achieves all their military objectives, and we sanction the ever loving crap out of them, but the Russians never leave and we and our allies never see any cause to ease up on the sanctions.  That leaves us and our allies having to long term plan on not having any food, wood, steel, oil, natural gas, or coal from Russia, and that leaves Russia massively militarized but with deep economic wounds.  That's basically the situation that Japan festered in for four years before they finally lashed out at Pearl Harbor.  The worst case seems more likely than the best case, unfortunately.  And the worst case will have ramifications for long beyond the time that the tanks stop rolling and the mortars stop launching.

Afghanistan was just 10 years of Russian soldiers refusing to fight.

The Afghans didn't have access to defensive weapons from the US until 1986.  The Ukrainians have access to them today.

Russian troops have taken the Chernobyl nuclear plant.

(02-24-2022, 04:20 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Russian troops have taken the Chernobyl nuclear plant.

That was right on the border.  The fighting was brief.  Let's hope they didn't breach the containment walls during the fight.

(02-24-2022, 05:06 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-24-2022, 04:20 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Russian troops have taken the Chernobyl nuclear plant.

That was right on the border.  The fighting was brief.  Let's hope they didn't breach the containment walls during the fight.

https://abc11.com/why-would-russia-want-.../11596072/

They seized control of the plant.

(02-24-2022, 05:06 PM)mikesez Wrote:

I bet the families of the dead Ukrainian soldiers aren't so c'est pas grave about it.

Let's give everybody that makes less than $75k/year more stimulus, keep the rates at 0%, and run up our national debt.  That was one helluva party !!

(This post was last modified: 02-24-2022, 05:35 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(02-24-2022, 10:50 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: This is what happens when a country gets a power crazed, narcissistic, ex-KGB, mob boss as a leader. He was biding his time until Biden came into office, because he knows Democrats will offer little resistance to his aggression. This is just the first step. Putin wants to "Make Russia Great Again." I have read that he wants to annex certain countries that were once part of the Soviet Union. He couldn't stand that Ukraine was on the verge of joining Nato and knew he had to strike now, before that happened. Once he gets Ukraine, he will continue into other ex-Soviet nations as well.

The entire Georgia thing was a bit confusing anyway.  I mean, when I read that Georgia beat Turkey in soccer, my 1st thought is Go Dawgs.

The fight against neutron levels.

(02-24-2022, 05:21 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(02-24-2022, 05:06 PM)mikesez Wrote: That was right on the border.  The fighting was brief.  Let's hope they didn't breach the containment walls during the fight.

I bet the families of the dead Ukrainian soldiers aren't so c'est pas grave about it.

I'm sure they aren't. I wasn't trying to say it wasn't serious, I was just trying to put it in context of Russia's progress in crossing the border.  It's been slow.  You're putting an emotional tone on my text that was not there.

(02-24-2022, 06:05 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(02-24-2022, 05:21 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: I bet the families of the dead Ukrainian soldiers aren't so c'est pas grave about it.

I'm sure they aren't. I wasn't trying to say it wasn't serious, I was just trying to put it in context of Russia's progress in crossing the border.  It's been slow.  You're putting an emotional tone on my text that was not there.

I think that was his point.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

This is really bad and our current president looks so weak on the world stage.  Putin is pretty much "playing him like a fiddle".  The so-called "strong sanctions" put in place is pretty much nothing.