Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Russia invades Ukraine

(10-17-2022, 05:17 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Here is an interesting article about the Russian army's inability to deal with the HIMARS we have given to Ukraine.

https://www.businessinsider.com/russia-m...ne-2022-10
What was interesting about? A mobile rocket launcher is hard to track. If it fires from 50 miles away, unless you have eyes on it, you can't target it even if you knew where it was after it fired. It is a truck and is designed to fire and then be immediately moved. Any country would have problems tracking it and then locking on to it without a drone or plane. It's not old tech like they were using.

The US air defense equipment is having issues with stopping the Iranian/Russian drones. They are causing more collateral damage than drones destroyed. Ukraine also has people firing into the sky to stop the drones but even if they knock it off course, it's still blowing up and hitting something which is causing civilian deaths.

Ukraine civilians are in serious trouble. Russia appears to be trying to shut down all the power and water. They are systematically destroying the utility plants. Ukraine said 30% were offline on Monday and unnamed sources were saying 40%. If Russia continues with the strategy, it could shut most of the country down within a week.

Ukraine supposedly is going to attack Kherson and Russia has told everyone to leave. Not sure if it's a bluff but it appears Russia won't be retreating.

Russia's 300,000 reserves will be "trained" soon, so it appears the infrastructure bombing is setting up a further invasion.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-19-2022, 02:41 AM)p_rushing Wrote:
(10-17-2022, 05:17 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Here is an interesting article about the Russian army's inability to deal with the HIMARS we have given to Ukraine. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/russia-m...ne-2022-10
What was interesting about? A mobile rocket launcher is hard to track. If it fires from 50 miles away, unless you have eyes on it, you can't target it even if you knew where it was after it fired. It is a truck and is designed to fire and then be immediately moved. Any country would have problems tracking it and then locking on to it without a drone or plane. It's not old tech like they were using.

The US air defense equipment is having issues with stopping the Iranian/Russian drones. They are causing more collateral damage than drones destroyed. Ukraine also has people firing into the sky to stop the drones but even if they knock it off course, it's still blowing up and hitting something which is causing civilian deaths.

Ukraine civilians are in serious trouble. Russia appears to be trying to shut down all the power and water. They are systematically destroying the utility plants. Ukraine said 30% were offline on Monday and unnamed sources were saying 40%. If Russia continues with the strategy, it could shut most of the country down within a week.

Ukraine supposedly is going to attack Kherson and Russia has told everyone to leave. Not sure if it's a bluff but it appears Russia won't be retreating.

Russia's 300,000 reserves will be "trained" soon, so it appears the infrastructure bombing is setting up a further invasion.

You remind me of Baghdad Bob.

(10-19-2022, 07:44 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(10-19-2022, 02:41 AM)p_rushing Wrote: What was interesting about? A mobile rocket launcher is hard to track. If it fires from 50 miles away, unless you have eyes on it, you can't target it even if you knew where it was after it fired. It is a truck and is designed to fire and then be immediately moved. Any country would have problems tracking it and then locking on to it without a drone or plane. It's not old tech like they were using.

You remind me of Baghdad Bob.

What was wrong with what I posted? HIMSS is a great vehicle and still in use today. They are still improving it. There is a reason it's lasted so long.

For the attack, that's still TBD but both sides are posturing. I also didn't state that as facts.

For the power issues, not sure where you have been looking but that info is coming from Ukrainian president or others in the government.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

The invaders won't have electricity either.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(This post was last modified: 10-22-2022, 09:59 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 3 times in total.)

So, let's get into some speculation here.  All opinions welcome.

The Russians are evacuating civilians from Kherson, supposedly to protect them from the coming battle.  But some people have speculated that if the Russians get all the civilians out of Kherson, and then if the Russian army loses the battle for Kherson and they have to evacuate and give up the city, that they will either blow up the hydroelectric dam and flood the city, or they will nuke the city.

My bet would be, if the Ukrainian army is occupying the city, the Russians blow up the dam and flood the city.  There's a small chance, though, that they will nuke the city after the Ukrainian army occupies it.

(10-22-2022, 09:39 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: So, let's get into some speculation here.  All opinions welcome.

The Russians are evacuating civilians from Kherson, supposedly to protect them from the coming battle.  But some people have speculated that if the Russians get all the civilians out of Kherson, and then if the Russian army loses the battle for Kherson and they have to evacuate and give up the city, that they will either blow up the hydroelectric dam and flood the city, or they will nuke the city.

My bet would be, if the Ukrainian army is occupying the city, the Russians blow up the dam and flood the city.  There's a small chance, though, that they will nuke the city after the Ukrainian army occupies it.
I thought you said I didn't know what I was talking about when I told you this battle was coming.

Unknown who is truthful here.

Ukraine bombed the bridge with civilians on it, killing a kid and others.
Ukraine says Russia is/has mined the dam.
Russia is saying the opposite.
Ukraine is attacking from the north, above the dam. This is said to be because they want Russia to respond and cause damage to the dam or Ukraine can then blow the dam and kill the Russians while blaming them for hitting the dam.
Russia says they are removing civilians to fortify the city.

Ukraine has the numbers in the area but they would be committing a ton of troops when they can't spare them. They have mercenaries there leading the troops but they still will struggle to win the battle if Russia commits resources like they say they will. Russia still has the air and long range weapons advantage. The Russian reinforcements are arriving and just depends on what their strategy is.

Meanwhile the rest of the country is having infrastructure bombed daily. They have rolling blackouts, reduced capacity, etc. Ukraine also sells power to other EU countries so that lost capacity will hurt them.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Russia has no reason to blow up the dam. The dam is what enables water to be diverted from Kherson to Crimea. Crimea doesn't get much rain. Whoever wants to occupy Crimea needs that water.
I think this is a case of the Ukrainians lying. Russia still has them beat though, they've got about 10x as many lies.

(10-22-2022, 02:38 PM)mikesez Wrote: Russia has no reason to blow up the dam. The dam is what enables water to be diverted from Kherson to Crimea. Crimea doesn't get much rain. Whoever wants to occupy Crimea needs that water.
I think this is a case of the Ukrainians lying. Russia still has them beat though, they've got about 10x as many lies.
Yeah I don't think either side has mined the dam. Russia is releasing water to lower the water level behind the dam.

It may be Russia putting it out there that Ukraine is trying to plan a false flag and blame Russia.
Russia is evacuating the civilians, so they can at least appear to have the upper hand right now.
Ukraine is sending rockets in and is hitting civilian areas.
Internet was out today there, although seeing that cell towers may have still worked.
Russia could be trying to hide movements and positions of troops.
Russia could also be reinforcing and not want any info being sent out.
Internet being out does hurt Russian propaganda though as they can't send out images from Ukraine missiles.

With all the forces in the area, looks like something will happen in the next week or so.

Pretty cool embedded video.

The Russian Black Sea Fleet May Have Lost Another Flagship (msn.com)

No one does brutality like the Russians. 

Sledgehammer execution of Russian mercenary who defected to Ukraine shown in video (msn.com)

I don't know if I want to click that.

(11-13-2022, 09:18 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I don't know if I want to click that.

It just explains what happened. No photos or video.

(11-13-2022, 09:18 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I don't know if I want to click that.
I have seen some pretty brutal executions. Russians have nothing on the Mexican Cartel. Just throwing that out there.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Several brutal videos in this link. Churchill was right, "Russia is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma." This is a country which has demonstrated superlatives for centuries in the arts and sciences, yet deep down they closely resemble a tin-pot nation. 

New Footage Shows Ukraine ‘Kamikaze Drone’ Striking Russian Tank (msn.com)

As the drone was almost certainly carrying ordnance and likely detonated on contact, the extent of the damage to the Russian vehicle is unclear.

However, it was speculated the tank was disabled and the crew was killed in the attack.

I'm 100% certain if the drone was carrying ordnance everyone in that tank was killed. 

I really wish this would just be finished already. A senseless war killing innocent people, turning citizens into refugees, destroying people's livelihoods.

(This post was last modified: 03-08-2023, 11:41 PM by mikesez. Edited 4 times in total.)

(03-08-2023, 10:22 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Several brutal videos in this link. Churchill was right, "Russia is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma." This is a country which has demonstrated superlatives for centuries in the arts and sciences, yet deep down they closely resemble a tin-pot nation. 

It's an extremely diverse place with extremely diverse history. Cliche but true.  Our country's history is complicated but much less complicated than that of Russia.  Immense wealth potential.  Still not realized.  It also goes to show, the things we Americans value as a high quality of life, the middle class lifestyle, is nice, but not necessary for extraordinary things like creating the periodic table of the elements, war and peace,  sputnik, etc, etc.  The only reason we as Americans can be so dismissive about their power and influence today is that we have the EU, Saudis, Japan and Korea all on our side.  
In an alternate history where Russia abandons communism after winning world War 2, where they participate in something like the Marshall Plan, and don't exploit and squash their sphere of influence the way the soviets did, Russia today might have more allies and clout than the US today. But the US would still probably be a nicer place to live.

(03-08-2023, 11:11 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: As the drone was almost certainly carrying ordnance and likely detonated on contact, the extent of the damage to the Russian vehicle is unclear.

However, it was speculated the tank was disabled and the crew was killed in the attack.

I'm 100% certain if the drone was carrying ordnance everyone in that tank was killed. 

I really wish this would just be finished already. A senseless war killing innocent people, turning citizens into refugees, destroying people's livelihoods.
It could be coming to an end soon. Everyone is running out of stuff to give to Ukraine and most of the countries are now getting pushback to sending more money. If the money stops, Russia hopefully offers a peace agreement. They still haven't tried to destroy the capital so I'm hoping they don't just say nope and take the whole country.

(03-08-2023, 11:37 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-08-2023, 10:22 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Several brutal videos in this link. Churchill was right, "Russia is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma." This is a country which has demonstrated superlatives for centuries in the arts and sciences, yet deep down they closely resemble a tin-pot nation. 

It's an extremely diverse place with extremely diverse history. Cliche but true.  Our country's history is complicated but much less complicated than that of Russia.  Immense wealth potential.  Still not realized.  It also goes to show, the things we Americans value as a high quality of life, the middle class lifestyle, is nice, but not necessary for extraordinary things like creating the periodic table of the elements, war and peace,  sputnik, etc, etc.  The only reason we as Americans can be so dismissive about their power and influence today is that we have the EU, Saudis, Japan and Korea all on our side.  
In an alternate history where Russia abandons communism after winning world War 2, where they participate in something like the Marshall Plan, and don't exploit and squash their sphere of influence the way the soviets did, Russia today might have more allies and clout than the US today.  But the US would still probably be a nice place to live.

I don't doubt they would have more clout, but not more than the U.S. strictly because no country in the world has our natural resources and protective barriers.

(03-08-2023, 11:11 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: As the drone was almost certainly carrying ordnance and likely detonated on contact, the extent of the damage to the Russian vehicle is unclear.

Ukraine has been pretty open about their ongoing efforts to make bigger and bigger bombs/grenades for smaller and smaller drones.  It's bearing fruit, for sure.

(03-08-2023, 11:43 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(03-08-2023, 11:37 PM)mikesez Wrote: It's an extremely diverse place with extremely diverse history. Cliche but true.  Our country's history is complicated but much less complicated than that of Russia.  Immense wealth potential.  Still not realized.  It also goes to show, the things we Americans value as a high quality of life, the middle class lifestyle, is nice, but not necessary for extraordinary things like creating the periodic table of the elements, war and peace,  sputnik, etc, etc.  The only reason we as Americans can be so dismissive about their power and influence today is that we have the EU, Saudis, Japan and Korea all on our side.  
In an alternate history where Russia abandons communism after winning world War 2, where they participate in something like the Marshall Plan, and don't exploit and squash their sphere of influence the way the soviets did, Russia today might have more allies and clout than the US today.  But the US would still probably be a nice place to live.

I don't doubt they would have more clout, but not more than the U.S. strictly because no country in the world has our natural resources and protective barriers.

We agree it would be a closer call. 
If the Russians let the eastern European nations, especially Poland,  have free and fair elections before 1950, the EU might have formed more quickly and NATO might never have formed at all.  America may have reverted to isolationism if the Russians were playing nice.  The whole Cold War competition doesn't happen the same way.  While both sides would have developed rockets and satellites, manned space flight might not have been emphasized as much.  The US would be less involved in Europe, and, depending on whether the UK decides to join the EU, perhaps English would not become the common language of the EU.  Perhaps by now it might be French or German or even Russian.  The influence of speaking the common language is huge. Losing that would change a lot.