Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Why did you choose your avatar?

You gotta ask?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2022, 07:49 AM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

I love movies. Daniel Day Lewis is one of my favorite actors of all time. His portrayal of Daniel Plainview in "There Will Be Blood" was masterful. It was a reminder for me to remember that, in the process of trying to acquire wealth, control & power that, it brings out a lot of evilness and corruption in the heart's of men. To see his rise (oil tycoon) and fall (with personal relationships) was chilling. The scene with his adoptive, mute son still gets to me a little bit. The way he says "You're an Orphan". Just spiteful.

The little bit of happiness he may have felt in his life, as he recalls back to some of the moments he had with him, as he's calling him a bastard from a basket, it was heartbreaking. Really made me think of my own father and the relationship he had with my grandfather. I could never really understand why my Dad was very reluctant to ever get too close or personal with me and my two younger brothers. He's not a bad father. By any means. He lead by example. He did the best he could for us. Worked his [BLEEP] off relentlessly and took job after job if it meant just putting another dollar per hour in his pocket for us.

He just had this unique way of keeping enough distance. He's not the kind of guy to say "Hey, love you boys" or "Hey, I am proud of you son". Just not in him. But he was stern when he needed to be. But he was also fair and unfair at times. A lot of that is cyclical I feel in most families. He behaved that way with us because I think his relationship with my Grandfather was pretty abusive and he lost him at just 21 when I was barely 2 years old. Couldn't imagine losing my Dad at that age. So, being more grown now. I think I get it.

I think a lot of men are too prideful to admit that we have feelings, and hearts. I think it's important to know when to show a stone face. It's just an interesting dynamic. Being a father of nearly a two year old son now.

It's hard trying to find that balance sometimes of not being too cruel and yet, not too compassionate. It's hard trying to find that balance of learning to know when to lean in or tilt when facing a conflict. Sometimes I catch him looking at me and studying me. Like a little sponge. I know I have to be mindful. He catches onto habits quick. But, yeah. That's really it. Just really enjoyed that character and the emotion and anger that Daniel Day Lewis put into Daniel Plainview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtFp_teUWr8
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-12-2022, 12:20 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: You gotta ask?

Lol.  I LOVE the hate look he's giving Urbz!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(This post was last modified: 03-12-2022, 12:37 PM by Jags.)

(03-12-2022, 10:24 AM)I am Yoda Wrote:

Lol.  I LOVE the hate look he's giving Urbz!

Don’t you mean “Hate look I love he gives Urb”?

Point taken. Lol

(03-12-2022, 07:35 AM)Caldrac Wrote: He just had this unique way of keeping enough distance. He's not the kind of guy to say "Hey, love you boys" or "Hey, I am proud of you son". Just not in him. But he was stern when he needed to be. But he was also fair and unfair at times. A lot of that is cyclical I feel in most families. He behaved that way with us because I think his relationship with my Grandfather was pretty abusive and he lost him at just 21 when I was barely 2 years old. Couldn't imagine losing my Dad at that age. So, being more grown now. I think I get it.

I'm pretty sure my dad had no intention of having kids but we happened anyway. When he and my mom divorced we would see him on weekends but it seemed to be (on his part) to be because he felt he had to have us over, not necessarily because he wanted us there. His relationship with his dad was rocky and my grandfather was a hard [BLEEP]. He was raised by his mother and German grandmother who never spoke to each other. Not sure about his dad or any other details but his life was hard and he was not much easier on my dad and uncle. He turned into (and died) a bitter man when none of us lived up to his standards, whatever they were. 

Me and my dad have had a pretty good relationship as adults. As someone who never wanted kids I understand in hindsight his reluctance to be a parent to us back then. I thank God more often than not that my mom and step dad were solid people. They had their flaws but they took care of us. Neither of them were really vocal about feelings and such but I knew they loved us and were doing the best they could. 

It's amazing how much clearer we understand things with some age and life experience behind us and it continues the older you get. 

I remember watching that movie back some years ago. I may have to check it out again. DDL is a phenomenal actor.

I was raised by a pack of hyenas…

Please stop. It’s no laughing matter.

(03-12-2022, 02:09 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I was raised by a pack of hyenas…

Please stop. It’s no laughing matter.

It’s true…I have some of his family photos!

[Image: 8-D2-C9590-0-E03-4-B0-D-88-AB-6-C24-E83-D7-F7-E.webp]
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Cuz I'm a Marley clan fan, man.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Mine is the devil (or Legba from voodoo mythology) from the 80's blues movie Crossroads.  The character only appeared in the last 15 minutes or so of the movie and for me I thought he stole the show.   I'm not sure who put this clip together, but it starts off like a movie preview but then has the entire dialog part between the main characters and the devil prior to the Ralph Macchio karate kidding his guitar opponent (Steve Vai) at the end.  Liked the movie, loved how the actor portrayed the character and decided to use him as my avatar.   I used to use Longshanks from Braveheart many years ago as well.

I like the character.

I used to change mine every season, but a number of folks were unsettled the last time I strayed from Ron Swanson, so I'm sticking with him.

It's my namesake. Also, the character is in one of my favorite movies.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption