Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Christian Kirk, Jags newest WR

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2022, 05:25 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

I'm starting a thread for Kirk.  I love how this contract is.  We can get out after year 2 with only a 1 mil dead cap hit.  Almost all of his guaranteed money is in the 1st 2 years.  Great job by Ballke on how he did the contract. His contract is 37 mil guaranteed

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/...cdOxkH1OyQ

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville...irk-25146/

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2022, 05:46 PM by Jaguarmeister.)

(03-14-2022, 05:20 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I'm starting a thread for Kirk.  I love how this contract is.  We can get out after year 2 with only a 1 mil dead cap hit.  Almost all of his guaranteed money is in the 1st 2 years.  Great job by Ballke on how he did the contract.  His contract  is 37 mil guaranteed

That's not how signing bonuses and dead money work.

To clarify, the signing bonus is spread out over the life of the contract. If we get out after year 2 of a 4 year deal, there will still be $10 million of the $20 million signing bonus unaccounted for that would immediately go against our cap. To be honest though, the cap goes up pretty significantly each year except the pandemic outbreak season so it's not that big a deal either way.

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2022, 05:51 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-14-2022, 05:44 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote:
(03-14-2022, 05:20 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I'm starting a thread for Kirk.  I love how this contract is.  We can get out after year 2 with only a 1 mil dead cap hit.  Almost all of his guaranteed money is in the 1st 2 years.  Great job by Ballke on how he did the contract.  His contract  is 37 mil guaranteed

That's not how signing bonuses and dead money work.

To clarify, the signing bonus is spread out over the life of the contract.  If we get out after year 2 of a 4 year deal, there will still be $10 million of the $20 million signing bonus unaccounted for that would immediately go against our cap.  To be honest though, the cap goes up pretty significantly each year except the pandemic outbreak season so it's not that big a deal either way.
I posted a link to sportstrac that has his contract. It says a potential out in 2024 will be a 1 mil cap hit

I hate this signing with the passion of a thousand suns.

(03-14-2022, 06:07 PM)jj82284 Wrote: I hate this signing with the passion of a thousand suns.

I don't see whats not to like exactly? Solid addition that adds young talent to the roster at a position of need. Money is all moot

(03-14-2022, 05:50 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-14-2022, 05:44 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: That's not how signing bonuses and dead money work.

To clarify, the signing bonus is spread out over the life of the contract.  If we get out after year 2 of a 4 year deal, there will still be $10 million of the $20 million signing bonus unaccounted for that would immediately go against our cap.  To be honest though, the cap goes up pretty significantly each year except the pandemic outbreak season so it's not that big a deal either way.
I posted a link to sportstrac that has his contract.  It says a potential out in 2024 will be a 1 mil cap hit

I see that now.  Never seen language that allows for a signing bonus to not have to be accounted for so I'm leaning heavily toward that being a typo by Spotrac.  The line item for the 2024 year underneath that "Potential Out" note shows dead cap of $10 million which should be accurate.

(03-14-2022, 05:50 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(03-14-2022, 05:44 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: That's not how signing bonuses and dead money work.

I posted a link to sportstrac that has his contract.  It says a potential out in 2024 will be a 1 mil cap hit

Did they originally have a typo that was corrected?  The link right now says $10 million in dead cap after two years.

(03-14-2022, 06:29 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(03-14-2022, 05:50 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I posted a link to sportstrac that has his contract.  It says a potential out in 2024 will be a 1 mil cap hit

Did they originally have a typo that was corrected?  The link right now says $10 million in dead cap after two years.

Yep they just changed it

This is miles better than Marqise Lee & Donte Moncrief for a combined 19.5 Million $. I think that he likely wont live up to the total $ but will be an excellent player for us and someone Trevor can lean on.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Welcome to Duval Christian Kirk.

NH3...
"AZANE"

I see the same people praising this signing who didn't want Amari Cooper at 20m/year. Kirk is leagues below Cooper and we're giving him 18/year lol. Some of our fans on this board are literally brain dead.

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2022, 07:24 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(03-14-2022, 06:07 PM)jj82284 Wrote: I hate this signing with the passion of a thousand suns.

Me too. We're basically stuck with the guy until 2025. If he sucks, we're screwed.

(03-14-2022, 07:00 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I see the same people praising this signing who didn't want Amari Cooper at 20m/year. Kirk is leagues below Cooper and we're giving him 18/year lol. Some of our fans on this board are literally brain dead.

I'd rather have Cooper too. We gotta find a #1 receiver in the draft. Select Hutchinson #1 overall and package picks #33 and #65 to move back up into round one and target either Drake London, Jameson Williams, Chris Olave or Garrett Wilson.

Kirk has been good. I trust he will be effective with Pederson's offense.

If we had some defensive coach I'd be more worried about it.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(This post was last modified: 03-14-2022, 07:29 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

Sounds like we got a lesser talent than Cooper for almost the same money. Huh?

Confirmation that the best we will do in FA is 2nd tier and lower players.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(03-14-2022, 07:21 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Me too. We're basically stuck with the guy until 2025. If he sucks, we're screwed.

(03-14-2022, 07:00 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I see the same people praising this signing who didn't want Amari Cooper at 20m/year. Kirk is leagues below Cooper and we're giving him 18/year lol. Some of our fans on this board are literally brain dead.

I'd rather have Cooper too. We gotta find a #1 receiver in the draft. Select Hutchinson #1 overall and package picks #33 and #65 to move back up into round one and target either Drake London, Jameson Williams, Chris Olave or Garrett Wilson.

His contract is basically a 2 year deal that we can get out of if need be. Only $37m guaranteed and that's all that really matters.

https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/stat...4740772871

(03-14-2022, 07:28 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Sounds like we got a lesser talent than Cooper for almost the same money.  Huh?

Confirmation that the best we will do in FA is 2nd tier and lower players.

I don’t think that’s confirmation as you see it.  A large part of this is projecting out development. I would say the expectation is that Kirk being 25 will continue to develop and hasn’t peaked yet. I would say Cooper might continue to produce but has likely peaked and will either plateau or begin to decline.

The other thing is these deals only matter as far as the guarantee goes.  Kirk either outperforms or gets cut in 2 years.  If it’s the latter, hopefully we’ve hit at WR in the draft a couple of times in the interim.

(03-14-2022, 07:31 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(03-14-2022, 07:21 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Me too. We're basically stuck with the guy until 2025. If he sucks, we're screwed.

His contract is basically a 2 year deal that we can get out of if need be. Only $37m guaranteed and that's all that really matters.

Nobody wants to see that.  The signing sucks.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

I don't really think that this structure makes it a ton better. It helps if he's a bust (kind of, 10M dead cap in year 3 is a lot), but he's still really damn expensive for as long as he's playing for us.

I also don't think he'll bust so it's just going to be really expensive for 4 years.

(03-14-2022, 07:31 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(03-14-2022, 07:21 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Me too. We're basically stuck with the guy until 2025. If he sucks, we're screwed.

We have $10 million in dead money if we cut him after year 2. That's too much dead money.