Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Compensatory picks

So with all the compensatory picks it sure seems the value of 4th, 5th, and 6th round picks goes down a pretty good amount.  Nfl issued 39 compensatory picks for the draft.  

Have we ever gotten any i sure cant hardly remember any while other teams seem to load up on them.

Why didnt we get one for dj chark?  Thats a second round pick lost?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2022, 08:17 AM by Craigukjag.)

Dj chark counts towards next years comp picks not this years, and considering we signed someone 8 times his worth (contract wise) If your expecting a pick back your going to be very disappointed

@of course the league shafts the Jags and doesn't give them any comp picks@

IIRC the comp formula is related to who you sign, for how long and compensation. The picks are awarded this year based on last year's net gain/loss. We signed a few guys last year, and IIRC didn't really lose anyone of significance to FA. Hence, we get dookie.

Next year, we'll have spent the farm, lost AJ Cann and DJ Chark on miniscule deals, so again, we'll likely end up with the dook.

As mentioned in another thread, compensatory picks need to go away. You're awarding already successful teams with additional draft capital. It doesn't make sense in a league touting parity.

(This post was last modified: 03-16-2022, 03:53 PM by surfon. Edited 1 time in total.)

Ok thx for the clarity if this should be moved feel free as i wasnt sure where to put it.

Agree with said above. There are a lot at the end of each round starting with the bottom of the third making that next rounds picks less valuable. I agree toss em.

And like ridiculous amts starting round 5.

(03-16-2022, 01:40 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: As mentioned in another thread, compensatory picks need to go away.  You're awarding already successful teams with additional draft capital.  It doesn't make sense in a league touting parity.

the pick(s) is awarded to account for a net loss. Successful teams that lose key starters get the luxury of a third round or worse pick to replace their player.

They better be good for that to be the reason they keep winning.

I think I read somewhere that this could be our 13th year in a row without compensatory picks
Here we go again

(03-16-2022, 06:25 PM)Preach Wrote: I think I read somewhere that this could be our 13th year in a row without compensatory picks

This is the 12th straight year we've went without getting a single comp pick. 

Since we just spent so much $$$ in FA, the chances of us getting any next year are slim to none as well.

(03-16-2022, 08:13 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(03-16-2022, 06:25 PM)Preach Wrote: I think I read somewhere that this could be our 13th year in a row without compensatory picks

This is the 12th straight year we've went without getting a single comp pick. 

Since we just spent so much $$$ in FA, the chances of us getting any next year are slim to none as well.

Yes, it's based upon the overall result of every free agent gained compared to every free agent lost.  It's not player by player.  It is based upon the overall result.  In recent years, we have been buyers in free agency and not sellers.  Also keep in mind that players cut (Myles Jack, etc.) do not factor into the equation.  Players traded to other teams (Ramsey, Ngakoue, Campbell, etc.) also do not count.  It's only unrestricted free agents.  We've had very few premium ones lost in the last decade and we've offset the ones we have by signing other free agents to big contracts.  As such, we don't get compensatory picks.  There's no conspiracy here.

Comp picks go to team that know how to identify and develop talent. That is why we have not had a compensatory pick in the last 12 yrs.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

This is basically the modus operandi for losing teams. Poor drafting, resort to FA to get the roster better instead, combined with your picks either not commanding big deals, seeing the end of their contracts, or turning out to be any good at all.

Comp picks tend to gravitate to teams pressed up to the cap - they tend to let players go at the end of their deals, don't have room or need to sign a bunch of big name, FA, etc.

On the plus side, we do have Taven Bryan to factor into next year's calculation. We might end up with the crusts from an old ham sammich in return.