Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Reasonable Expectations for Trevor Lawrence

(This post was last modified: 03-21-2022, 04:08 PM by Bullseye.)

(03-21-2022, 03:35 PM)cland Wrote:
(03-20-2022, 10:58 PM)Bullseye Wrote: How do you separate the performance of the QB from the performance of the surrounding cast?

They are inextricably linked.

I don't think that they are FULLY inextricably.  There were a few posts I made in the (not-to-start-that-up-again) critique post, that showed Lawrence making a throw that a QB, rookie-or-not, cannot make. (Here's one of the posts I found: link)  Hopefully Pederson can iron that out, and I think he has to be a success with the Jaguars.  My concern with Pederson is that he has to turn Lawrence into a Nick Foles type of QB.  A guy that can run his offense, but becomes very readable after a season or a few games for the NFL defenses.

Well let's put it this way.  A QBs job is to distribute the ball to the other skill position players on offense.  Cinversely, the other skill players on offense have the mandate to catch the ball when distributed to them and make the best play possible.

If a QB hands the ball off properly to a RB on a running play, and after receiving the handoff, the RB fumbles when hit, how can you reasonably blame the QB for a subsequent RB fumble?

Similarly, if the QB makes the proper blitz pickup and sets the protection correctly. makes the right pre snap reads, collects the snap, executes his drop timely, correctly reads the defense, exercises good mechanics and throws an accurate pass that hits the WR in the hands/numbers, he should not be blamed for any drop by the receiver on the play.

Do I think QBs can contribute to poor WR performance on a given play?  Yes.  An inaccurate throw or a throw that leads a WR into an oncoming safety can be dropped.  I think there were plays where TLs mechanics were off, leading to inaccurate throws, especially on underneath routes, and those inaccuracies lead to some of the drops.

By the same token, some of those inaccuracies were directly tied to a lack of protection, or poor route running by receivers.
Just because he was the best rated QB prospect coming into the draft last year, it doesn't mean he had nothing to work on, either when he first entered the league or he developed some bad habits as the season wore on.  I don't think it's any big shock for people to conclude he received piss poor coaching last year.  That's pretty much the consensus. As a result, some of the inaccuracies attributable to him could have been mitigate if there were anything approaching competent coaching.

Health permitting, I believe Trevor Lawrence will be improved this year because he will have better coaching, a better scheme, with better personnel and a year's experience under his belt.  But I think given the limitations of the roster, his relative inexperience especially within the scheme, it may only get him at the midpoint among AFC QBs.  It would be a mistake to attempt to toss the baby out with the bathwater if that happens given how strong the QB position is in the AFC.

(03-21-2022, 04:02 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Overall numbers seem difficult to pin down. I think  a better metric is success in situational areas of the game. Say rating and TD passes in the red zone, points per possession with less than 4 minutes in half, and game winning/tying drives in 4th quarters.

To me that is more important specific to T-Law's development than consolidated numbers. I also think those give you a better window into whether it can be THE guy in the playoffs.

Agreed completely.

The AFC is so stacked with stud QBs, he can make all kinds of improvement and still be a middle of the pack guy.  if the team does not provide him with adequate help, he may not rank that high through little fault of his own.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reasonable Expectations for Trevor Lawrence - by Bullseye - 03-21-2022, 04:06 PM
homebiscuit - by homebiscuit - 03-21-2022, 07:33 AM