Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Urban Meyer Expose via the Athletic

(03-22-2022, 08:06 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(03-22-2022, 04:00 PM)jaglyn Wrote: My theory, could just be some mind-games Meyer was playing to see if he can motivate a team absolutely devoid of NFL-level talent. And it BACKFIRED. He was trying to change things up but unfortunately made it worse. There's a completely different approach to managing NFL players today. The "old-school" way only works in places that have a long established culture/history of winning

You could not have read the article and came to this conclusion.  Meyer was way over his head.  IN fact, if the article is true he had no business running a KFC let alone a professional team. 

Read the article then comment.  If you read the article and still say this, congrats because you have blown my mind.

Read it again knowing Meyer's style of coaching/management/personality. Then you understand. That is his style and it doesn't appear that anyone has called him out on it or if they have he has ignored it. It doesn't make it a good style or right to treat people that way. Just stating some facts.

He can enjoy being a terrible human being but he can also use it as a motivation tool. For some people having a common enemy it can forge a bond and help motivate the team.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-22-2022, 08:06 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(03-22-2022, 04:00 PM)jaglyn Wrote: My theory, could just be some mind-games Meyer was playing to see if he can motivate a team absolutely devoid of NFL-level talent. And it BACKFIRED. He was trying to change things up but unfortunately made it worse. There's a completely different approach to managing NFL players today. The "old-school" way only works in places that have a long established culture/history of winning

You could not have read the article and came to this conclusion.  Meyer was way over his head.  IN fact, if the article is true he had no business running a KFC let alone a professional team. 

Read the article then comment.  If you read the article and still say this, congrats because you have blown my mind.

No, I read it. And to a point I agree with you, he went about dealing with players and coaches that way because he probably thought he can hide his lack of coaching ability but still draw some type of motivation from the players

I also think the article, like all exposes, is written to produce some type of shock value, so it wouldn’t surprise me if it exaggerated a little bit

(03-22-2022, 10:10 PM)jaglyn Wrote:
(03-22-2022, 08:06 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: You could not have read the article and came to this conclusion.  Meyer was way over his head.  IN fact, if the article is true he had no business running a KFC let alone a professional team. 

No, I read it. And to a point I agree with you, he went about dealing with players and coaches that way because he probably thought he can hide his lack of coaching ability but still draw some type of motivation from the players

I also think the article, like all exposes, is written to produce some type of shock value, so it wouldn’t surprise me if it exaggerated a little bit

I think it probably understated how bad that human garbage scow actually is.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

It is a shame that some people still fall for this pearl clutching, pee sitting down, "oh my gosh he said a bad word" crap. Granted, every coach that has to make the transition from College to pro has an adjustment period. The way that you interact with college kids and grown men with huge bank accounts are two different things. I get that. I'm not hear saying that Urban Meyer bridged that gap. What I am saying, is that the idea that we only had two wins last year was based on him saying someone's "transcripts weren't right" or that he said a guy "couldn't get a job outside of football" is a testament to how soft our society as a whole has become especially the men.

As for everyone jumping on the "Meyer's a dummy" train, you go bring me 3 national championships and holla @ me. You're talking about one of the greatest FOOTBALL COACHES of our lifetime. There are nearly 1600 players in the national football league, another 250 or so that are draft eligible each year not counting street free agents. Can you name them all? No. The difference is that if any one of you took home an NFL playbook and we gave you a month you wouldn't understand half of it, let alone be able to teach it.

This isn't me caping for Urban Meyer. This is me caping for sanity!

When you study Meyer, he notoriously took a year or two to establish his culture when he arrived in new environments. I remember the first year at Florida like a bad dream. Then he brought in the most successful recruiting class in the history of the school and was a laptop away from having one of the most iconic dynasties at the QB position in the history of the sport. Urbans biggest mistake was trusting trent Balkee and the rest of the brain trust and not dying on the hill with his hand pick coaches and staff. That would have eliminated the "sympathetic ear" dynamic that leads to descension, leaks, whining etc. Even with all that, does anyone really believe that Urban Meyer would have been fired if it wasn't for some thirst trap blonde grinding on him and a disgruntled kicker dropping an article in the athletic?

Urban Meyer's not perfect. He should have brought his own guys, but the idea that we should take the word of a group of players that averaged 2 wins over two seasons over a hall of fame Coach is asinine. I firmly believe that Urban meyer is being crucified because he refused to either pee sitting down, or put his FIST UP as is the new prerequisite for sports leadership in America. Just ask Jim Harbaugh.

(03-23-2022, 12:57 AM)jj82284 Wrote: It is a shame that some people still fall for this pearl clutching, pee sitting down, "oh my gosh he said a bad word" crap.  Granted, every coach that has to make the transition from College to pro has an adjustment period.  The way that you interact with college kids and grown men with huge bank accounts are two different things.  I get that.  I'm not hear saying that Urban Meyer bridged that gap.  What I am saying, is that the idea that we only had two wins last year was based on him saying someone's "transcripts weren't right" or that he said a guy "couldn't get a job outside of football" is a testament to how soft our society as a whole has become especially the men. 

As for everyone jumping on the "Meyer's a dummy" train, you go bring me 3 national championships and holla @ me.  You're talking about one of the greatest FOOTBALL COACHES of our lifetime.  There are nearly 1600 players in the national football league, another 250 or so that are draft eligible each year not counting street free agents.  Can you name them all?  No.  The difference is that if any one of you took home an NFL playbook and we gave you a month you wouldn't understand half of it, let alone be able to teach it. 

This isn't me caping for Urban Meyer.  This is me caping for sanity! 

When you study Meyer, he notoriously took a year or two to establish his culture when he arrived in new environments.  I remember the first year at Florida like a bad dream.  Then he brought in the most successful recruiting class in the history of the school and was a laptop away from having one of the most iconic dynasties at the QB position in the history of the sport.  Urbans biggest mistake was trusting trent Balkee and the rest of the brain trust and not dying on the hill with his hand pick coaches and staff.  That would have eliminated the "sympathetic ear" dynamic that leads to descension, leaks, whining etc.  Even with all that, does anyone really believe that Urban Meyer would have been fired if it wasn't for some thirst trap blonde grinding on him and a disgruntled kicker dropping an article in the athletic?

Urban Meyer's not perfect.  He should have brought his own guys, but the idea that we should take the word of a group of players that averaged 2 wins over two seasons over a hall of fame Coach is asinine.  I firmly believe that Urban meyer is being crucified because he refused to either pee sitting down, or put his FIST UP as is the new prerequisite for sports leadership in America.  Just ask Jim Harbaugh.

Urban Meyer is a recruiter, he wasn't an offensive or defensive coach. He was the guy who knew how to get the best players, not the best plays.

That's why he failed, he's also a [BLEEP] human as we found out.

(03-23-2022, 12:57 AM)jj82284 Wrote: It is a shame that some people still fall for this pearl clutching, pee sitting down, "oh my gosh he said a bad word" crap.  Granted, every coach that has to make the transition from College to pro has an adjustment period.  The way that you interact with college kids and grown men with huge bank accounts are two different things.  I get that.  I'm not hear saying that Urban Meyer bridged that gap.  What I am saying, is that the idea that we only had two wins last year was based on him saying someone's "transcripts weren't right" or that he said a guy "couldn't get a job outside of football" is a testament to how soft our society as a whole has become especially the men. 

As for everyone jumping on the "Meyer's a dummy" train, you go bring me 3 national championships and holla @ me.  You're talking about one of the greatest FOOTBALL COACHES of our lifetime.  There are nearly 1600 players in the national football league, another 250 or so that are draft eligible each year not counting street free agents.  Can you name them all?  No.  The difference is that if any one of you took home an NFL playbook and we gave you a month you wouldn't understand half of it, let alone be able to teach it. 

When you study Meyer, he notoriously took a year or two to establish his culture when he arrived in new environments.  I remember the first year at Florida like a bad dream.  Then he brought in the most successful recruiting class in the history of the school and was a laptop away from having one of the most iconic dynasties at the QB position in the history of the sport.  Urbans biggest mistake was trusting trent Balkee and the rest of the brain trust and not dying on the hill with his hand pick coaches and staff.  That would have eliminated the "sympathetic ear" dynamic that leads to descension, leaks, whining etc.  Even with all that, does anyone really believe that Urban Meyer would have been fired if it wasn't for some thirst trap blonde grinding on him and a disgruntled kicker dropping an article in the athletic?

Urban Meyer's not perfect.  He should have brought his own guys, but the idea that we should take the word of a group of players that averaged 2 wins over two seasons over a hall of fame Coach is asinine.  I firmly believe that Urban meyer is being crucified because he refused to either pee sitting down, or put his FIST UP as is the new prerequisite for sports leadership in America.  Just ask Jim Harbaugh.

Yep!

I don't know if Urban Meyer pees sitting down or not, but he was obviously completely unqualified to be an NFL head coach.  And anyone who cannot see that is just blind.

I can admit my faults in believing in Urban, I don't pay attention to college football outside of specific players prior to the draft so I had no idea what Urban was other than his record. Knowing more now, I can't even believe he got the job lmao.

(03-23-2022, 06:25 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I can admit my faults in believing in Urban, I don't pay attention to college football outside of specific players prior to the draft so I had no idea what Urban was other than his record. Knowing more now, I can't even believe he got the job lmao.

And yet people are still trying to defend him.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

You’re soft.

Really.  Bad.  Take.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Lol

(This post was last modified: 03-23-2022, 10:56 AM by jj82284. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-23-2022, 06:12 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

I don't know if Urban Meyer pees sitting down or not, but he was obviously completely unqualified to be an NFL head coach.  And anyone who cannot see that is just blind.

Ironically, I'm about 60% in agreement with you.  I would not have hired Urban Meyer as a head coach.  My point is, my opposition to him being an NFL Head coach is based on the fact that His in game management was always suspect 2 Florida.  I Can remember him burning through Times out like they were candy in an SEC championship game.  I think that he is a good offensive mind, but his macro GAME THEORY was below average.  He also had too great a propensity to go with empty formations on long down and distance without elite tackles.  One Game in particular Tim Tebow had to ride in an ambulance because of that B.S.  Those are legit criticisms.  That's got nothing to do with this, "Oh he didn't want to braid my hair."  Crap that these players are talking about.  

Moreover, when you look at his history @ Florida he was criticized for his Machiavellian approach to being a players coach.  Gang bangers, mass murderers, criminals etc.  No worries, as long as you perform on the field.  There are articles that he and his staff were almost afraid of Percy Harvin.  What's the difference between those players and the kids he was dealing with last year?  Those kids were winning!  So that brings me back to the fact that when you're performing on the Field, Urban Meyer can be your best cheerleader, when you're not performing on the field I'm sure he was a nightmare to deal with.   And I wouldn't respect any Coach who wasn't!

The one thing that gave me hope about Urban Meyer as a coach was the dimension of human confrontation.  Throw out the score, down, distance, formations, tendencies etc.  He had a Pattonesque ability to prepare a group of 50 young men to be able to stand belly button to belly button against any opponent.  You may win, you may lose, but Urban Meyer teams were never accused of being soft, quitting, or giving up.  That's a wholly antithetical worldview to the culture that permeated the locker room for the last 4 years before the man returned.  It takes Michael Irvin to tell the story of what it was like to transform the culture of the Dallas Cowboys when Jimmy Johnson Came to town.

(03-23-2022, 08:23 AM)jj82284 Wrote:
(03-23-2022, 06:12 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I don't know if Urban Meyer pees sitting down or not, but he was obviously completely unqualified to be an NFL head coach.  And anyone who cannot see that is just blind.

Ironically, I'm about 60% in agreement with you.  I would not have hired Urban Meyer as a head coach.  My point is, my opposition to him being an NFL Head coach is based on the fact that His in game management was always suspect 2 Florida.  I Can remember him burning through Times out like they were candy in an SEC championship game.  I think that he is a good offensive mind, but his macro GAME THEORY was below average.  He also had too great a propensity to go with empty formations on long down and distance without elite tackles.  One Game in particular Tim Tebow had to ride in an ambulance because of that B.S.  Those are legit criticisms.  That's got nothing to do with this, "Oh he didn't want to braid my hair."  Crap that these players are talking about.  

Moreover, when you look at his history @ Florida he was criticized for his Machiavellian approach to being a players coach.  Gang bangers, mass murderers, criminals etc.  No worries, as long as you perform on the field.  There are articles that he and his staff were almost afraid of Percy Harvin.  What's the difference between those players and the kids he was dealing with last year?  Those kids were winning!  So that brings me back to the fact that when you're performing on the Field, Urban Meyer can be your best cheerleader, when you're not performing on the field I'm sure he was a nightmare to deal with.   And I wouldn't respect any Coach who wasn't!

The one thing that gave me hope about Urban Meyer as a coach was the dimension of human confrontation.  Throw out the score, down, distance, formations, tendencies etc.  He had a Putinesque ability to prepare a group of 50 young men to be able to stand belly button to belly button against any opponent.  You may win, you may lose, but Urban Meyer teams were never accused of being soft, quitting, or giving up.  That's a wholly antithetical worldview to the culture that permeated the locker room for the last 4 years before the man returned.  It takes Michael Irvin to tell the story of what it was like to transform the culture of the Dallas Cowboys when Jimmy Johnson Came to town.
Stay classy and go outside to yell at a cloud or something.

(03-22-2022, 05:21 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(03-22-2022, 08:42 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: I'm SHOCKED you have this bad take.

Also. Can you name the players on the Jags (who have won 4 games in 2 years) that are untouchable? Outside of Trevor (who was a rookie), not a single Jag is untouchable.

Being a leader means you stand up to bullies. I thought all young players wanted to standup for rights, bullying, injustice, etc. Trevor, Jones, and few others not on rookie deals should have said something instead of doing nothing. Standing by and doing nothing is accepting the behavior. There are others who could have said something and potentially been cut but that shouldn't have mattered if they were actually bothered by what was happening.

(03-22-2022, 12:19 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: My husband and I were just discussing this and we both wondered how on earth Meyer and Tebow are BFF. I guess a man's personal convictions and their judge of character aren't always one and the same. I'm not a fan of Tebow but I'm not not a fan either. Mostly I feel indifferent about him and don't know anything much about him but I've always thought he had high moral character to go with those convictions.

If he is best buddies with Meyer my opinion of Tebow has changed. You become who you surround yourself with.

Yep I don't see how Tebow could just overlook that. You can live with things you can't change but if Tebow is that close to him, he should have said something. He should have let it be known he wasn't ok with him treating people like that.

(03-22-2022, 01:20 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: I don't think it's that strange since I don't think Meyer ever believed there was a problem with Tebow's transcripts. In fact Tebow was the golden boy and I'd expect Meyer to understand that he needed different treatment than some anonymous player at another position.

Tebow's transcripts needed some home schooling help. Meyer also overlooked a lot of stuff at UF for grads and crime, so he isn't wrong that the players he recruited had a lot of issues. I'm guessing the comment was viewed as a racial stereotype though.

Being a leader means you also know when to stand and when to stand aside. As a head of household and major breadwinner in a family, you don't risk your career calling out your boss or worse until you know that action won't bite you in the butt. Sure Urbz was a sphincter on the practice field, but at that time he still had the media, the owner, and (some of) the fans thinking he was the hero we needed to turn the ship around. Your first public move as a player on a new team is to complain that he's mean, or curses, or is an idiot? Good luck getting a call from the other teams when he buries you on the roster or uses his charm with the media to paint you as the problem instead. Now that he's gone, you are hearing a lot more of this coming to light (from guys no longer on the team, mind you) because these guys are smart enough to know retribution is out of the equation.

With regard to Timmah, I think Urbz absolutely turns it on and off depending on his audience. I have a feeling he has his favorites, and treats them like the favorite son while smearing the lesser guys. I'd venture that Hyde never got near the criticism for failure that JRob or other backs would, for the same reason. We don't know exactly when this exchange occurred, whether Teebz was still on the roster, or if Urbz had his outburst in front of the whole team or just a distinct unit; While leopards don't change their spots, it was probably a case of mutual appreciation; if not for Urbz, Teebs likely doesn't have much of his fortune, and vice versa. That may lead to turning a blind eye to one's faults. It may also be a situation where Timmy thought he could do more goodwill by being closer to Urbz than not, we don't really know.

(03-22-2022, 08:51 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(03-22-2022, 08:06 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: You could not have read the article and came to this conclusion.  Meyer was way over his head.  IN fact, if the article is true he had no business running a KFC let alone a professional team. 

Read it again knowing Meyer's style of coaching/management/personality. Then you understand. That is his style and it doesn't appear that anyone has called him out on it or if they have he has ignored it. It doesn't make it a good style or right to treat people that way. Just stating some facts.

He can enjoy being a terrible human being but he can also use it as a motivation tool. For some people having a common enemy it can forge a bond and help motivate the team.

so you're saying the coach motivated players to spite him? I mean, in this situation he was making himself the bleeping enemy.

That leads to an entire locker room dismissing every word you have to say.

(This post was last modified: 03-23-2022, 09:22 AM by Mikey.)

Wise tactic to start your debate with your most convincing argument. Like Urbz' approach, this just pushes me to dismiss every word that followed this sentence because I already heard everything I needed to know.

With regard to the rest of the material, though - nobody has specifically said that two wins were due to his verbal coaching style. The two wins were because he thought he could get by using what worked in college (we'll get to that in a minute), and refused to put the effort into learning, developing, and adapting to a new environment. In the process of doing so, he alienated every person on his staff, every player on the roster (ok, maybe not Hyde), and evenutally, even the owner.

Meyer wasn't anything great as a coach. He was a great recruiter. He could bring in the best player on promises and smooth talk, and then overwhelm opponents on roster strength alone. Meyer's first title was primarily a team that Ron Zook built; maybe we should give him a go at HC? Do you believe that Kirby Smart is some mastermind that will be the next great NFL coach? Of course not! Look at that roster, look at how many players are likely to get darfted and darfted early this year - same happened with Clemson, college is about out-recruiting your opponents. Scheme ain't gonna overcome talent and depth. Period. Past success at a different level is not going to predict any performance at this level.  

Not sure what you're getting at with Harbaugh. And uh, Urbz did try to bring in his own guys, the guy he brought in resigned within a day because he is (allegedly) also a terrible human toward other humans. He tried to convince a guy 9 years removed from the game to come back, and to try changing positions at the same time! How'd that work out? He brought a guy to the team who refused to play when his number was called. Does that mean Hyde used to pee sitting down too, whatever that is supposed to mean?

(03-23-2022, 08:23 AM)jj82284 Wrote:
(03-23-2022, 06:12 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I don't know if Urban Meyer pees sitting down or not, but he was obviously completely unqualified to be an NFL head coach.  And anyone who cannot see that is just blind.

The one thing that gave me hope about Urban Meyer as a coach was the dimension of human confrontation.  Throw out the score, down, distance, formations, tendencies etc.  He had a Putinesque ability to prepare a group of 50 young men to be able to stand belly button to belly button against any opponent.  You may win, you may lose, but Urban Meyer teams were never accused of being soft, quitting, or giving up.  That's a wholly antithetical worldview to the culture that permeated the locker room for the last 4 years before the man returned.  It takes Michael Irvin to tell the story of what it was like to transform the culture of the Dallas Cowboys when Jimmy Johnson Came to town.

...it's concerning that you wouldn't even consider his most recent coaching job in the decision to hire a coach.

(03-23-2022, 08:28 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(03-23-2022, 08:23 AM)jj82284 Wrote: Ironically, I'm about 60% in agreement with you.  I would not have hired Urban Meyer as a head coach.  My point is, my opposition to him being an NFL Head coach is based on the fact that His in game management was always suspect 2 Florida.  I Can remember him burning through Times out like they were candy in an SEC championship game.  I think that he is a good offensive mind, but his macro GAME THEORY was below average.  He also had too great a propensity to go with empty formations on long down and distance without elite tackles.  One Game in particular Tim Tebow had to ride in an ambulance because of that B.S.  Those are legit criticisms.  That's got nothing to do with this, "Oh he didn't want to braid my hair."  Crap that these players are talking about.  

Stay classy and go outside to yell at a cloud or something.

Meant to type Pattonesque.

(This post was last modified: 03-23-2022, 11:06 AM by Cleatwood. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-23-2022, 10:57 AM)jj82284 Wrote:
(03-23-2022, 08:28 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Stay classy and go outside to yell at a cloud or something.

You must have been too busy braiding hair or peeing while sitting down to catch your mistake then.

(This post was last modified: 03-23-2022, 11:50 AM by TrivialPursuit. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-23-2022, 10:57 AM)jj82284 Wrote:
(03-23-2022, 08:28 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: Stay classy and go outside to yell at a cloud or something.

Stop.

Just stop.

Urban Meyer is the biggest [BLEEP] to ever live. He's a coward that knew he was the most powerful person in the room which allowed his cowardly self to say anything he wanted.

He's a [BLEEP], a coward, a piece of [BLEEP]. If I punched that little girl in the mouth he would fall to the ground and scream for police help then call his lawyer to sue me.

There is NOTHING alpha about him and there never was.

Patton would have shot me in the face. Urban would just cry and [BLEEP].

Don't false equivocate a real man with a [BLEEP].