Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Have we been too harsh on Baalke?

(This post was last modified: 03-28-2022, 08:26 AM by Mikey.)

(03-27-2022, 01:24 PM)Firesky Wrote:
(03-27-2022, 01:18 PM)RicoTx Wrote: You have to be kidding me.

I wish I was. https://youtu.be/WXhGzEtScUM Go to the 3 min. Mark of the video. It’s actually worse bc Baalke brings it up “you look good without the tie!” “Was debating on whether or not I should wear one” “would you wear one golfing? then you shouldn’t wear one here! Haha”

This is in official content posted by the team in their “The Hunt” series. I’m just stunned that they thought putting that clip on there was a good idea. And I’m even more stunned that there isn’t more outrage about it. We could win the Super Bowl this year and I’d still want Baalke gone.

Jacksonville is not a vacation for players coaches and GMs. Hugh Douglas is infamous for his quotes about that. As is Prince Amukamara. We didn’t tolerate it from them so we should tolerate it from our GM?!?!? And we wonder why the culture in the building is a dumpster fire…. This is the tone at the top that’s being set.

It wasn't Prince, it was Aaron Ross.

The clip humanizes the coaches, and provides an inside look at the interaction between coach and GM. It's not always playbook, coachspeak, or roster evaluation. These guys look to each other for a simple reassurance...
As someone who struggles with anxiety, I think it's really cool to know that a SB-winning coach can still need that thumbs up from a peer whether a tie is too formal, or that his GM isn't gonna throw him to the wolves if the owner expects something like formal dress when interacting with media.

R-E-L-A-X, as A. A. Ron once said so eloquently.

(03-27-2022, 02:55 PM)Firesky Wrote:
(03-27-2022, 02:37 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: I want to fire Baalke as much as anyone, but I could really care less about a joke regarding wearing ties.  Just find us good players.

I get it, I agree as long as the team is improving i'll stay my hand.  I don't view it as a "tie joke" for me it's more of a "we're not professional" joke.

Also Free Agency was a success i'd say. But i'm just terrified that we do something nonsensical like drafting Walker from Georgia over Hutch or Thibs bc "athleticism" i'm so worried Baalke repeats the mistake he did with Solomon Thomas drooling over athleticism.

so what would you say the appropriate response to DP's question should have been?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-27-2022, 11:13 AM)Firesky Wrote: When Doug Pederson got introduced. He told Baalke in the video “i wasn’t sure if I should wear a tie?!?” And Baalkes reply was “would you wear one golfing? .. then why would you wear one here lol!”

Baalke directly compared being the GM of an NFL team to GOLFING!!!! That to me tells me everything I need to know about his attitude towards this job/GM position. Why on earth would we want someone like that? It just screams “unprofessional” which given the leaks, coach killing, and team record declining year after year every where he’s been. He’s just not cut out for the job of running a PROFESSIONAL Football team!

Don't care if he's in his office naked making picks or negotiating FA; just do it well and don't undermine the coach/staff.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(03-28-2022, 08:22 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-27-2022, 01:24 PM)Firesky Wrote: I wish I was. https://youtu.be/WXhGzEtScUM Go to the 3 min. Mark of the video. It’s actually worse bc Baalke brings it up “you look good without the tie!” “Was debating on whether or not I should wear one” “would you wear one golfing? then you shouldn’t wear one here! Haha”

This is in official content posted by the team in their “The Hunt” series. I’m just stunned that they thought putting that clip on there was a good idea. And I’m even more stunned that there isn’t more outrage about it. We could win the Super Bowl this year and I’d still want Baalke gone.

Jacksonville is not a vacation for players coaches and GMs. Hugh Douglas is infamous for his quotes about that. As is Prince Amukamara. We didn’t tolerate it from them so we should tolerate it from our GM?!?!? And we wonder why the culture in the building is a dumpster fire…. This is the tone at the top that’s being set.

It wasn't Prince, it was Aaron Ross.

The clip humanizes the coaches, and provides an inside look at the interaction between coach and GM. It's not always playbook, coachspeak, or roster evaluation. These guys look to each other for a simple reassurance...
As someone who struggles with anxiety, I think it's really cool to know that a SB-winning coach can still need that thumbs up from a peer whether a tie is too formal, or that his GM isn't gonna throw him to the wolves if the owner expects something like formal dress when interacting with media.

R-E-L-A-X, as A. A. Ron once said so eloquently.

(03-27-2022, 02:55 PM)Firesky Wrote: I get it, I agree as long as the team is improving i'll stay my hand.  I don't view it as a "tie joke" for me it's more of a "we're not professional" joke.

Also Free Agency was a success i'd say. But i'm just terrified that we do something nonsensical like drafting Walker from Georgia over Hutch or Thibs bc "athleticism" i'm so worried Baalke repeats the mistake he did with Solomon Thomas drooling over athleticism.

so what would you say the appropriate response to DP's question should have been?

"If you're gonna wear a tie make sure it's Teal!!" ... that way it's humanizing, shows team pride and doesn't make you look wholly unprofessional. There were a thousand ways he could've handled it better than comparing the job to GOLFING or another leisure activity lets be honest. I know I sound like "old man yells at cloud" but like given everything else it doesn't inspire any confidence in Baalke.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

(03-28-2022, 01:49 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(03-27-2022, 11:13 AM)Firesky Wrote: When Doug Pederson got introduced. He told Baalke in the video “i wasn’t sure if I should wear a tie?!?” And Baalkes reply was “would you wear one golfing? .. then why would you wear one here lol!”

Baalke directly compared being the GM of an NFL team to GOLFING!!!! That to me tells me everything I need to know about his attitude towards this job/GM position. Why on earth would we want someone like that? It just screams “unprofessional” which given the leaks, coach killing, and team record declining year after year every where he’s been. He’s just not cut out for the job of running a PROFESSIONAL Football team!

Don't care if he's in his office naked making picks or negotiating FA; just do it well and don't undermine the coach/staff.

I want to stab out my mental eye now...
[Image: giphy.gif]

(This post was last modified: 03-29-2022, 03:02 AM by JaggedSioux. Edited 1 time in total.)

Hell yes it's been an overreaction! As I see it, there have been 8 or 9 bedwetters setting the tone against Baalke on this forum by arrogantly being louder, i.e. firing off 5 posts to the rational fans' 1 entry, as a means of bullying their misguided points.
Baalke is simply making decent moves now that he's out of the Urban Meyer meatgrinder.

(03-29-2022, 03:01 AM)JaggedSioux Wrote: Hell yes it's been an overreaction! As I see it, there have been 8 or 9 bedwetters setting the tone against Baalke on this forum by arrogantly being louder, i.e. firing off 5 posts to the rational fans' 1 entry, as a means of bullying their misguided points.
Baalke is simply making decent moves now that he's out of the Urban Meyer meatgrinder.

My Baalke hate comes from 49ers fans and him being around for the trainwreck the last few years

until he gets the Jags in a position for the division or playoffs, my hate will continue
He will have to prove himself without a shadow of a doubt and not just make some interesting moves.

Trust me, the Baalke hate is much more than a few posters on this board

(03-29-2022, 11:41 AM)jagshype Wrote:
(03-29-2022, 03:01 AM)JaggedSioux Wrote: Hell yes it's been an overreaction! As I see it, there have been 8 or 9 bedwetters setting the tone against Baalke on this forum by arrogantly being louder, i.e. firing off 5 posts to the rational fans' 1 entry, as a means of bullying their misguided points.

My Baalke hate comes from 49ers fans and him being around for the trainwreck the last few years

until he gets the Jags in a position for the division or playoffs, my hate will continue
He will have to prove himself without a shadow of a doubt and not just make some interesting moves.

when you have fans protesting in clown outfits at games with "Fire Baalke" signs, it's not just a few people on a forum.
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]

He gets a prove it year from me this year. If I don’t see big time improvement, then I want him gone.

Frankly if we're picking top 10 again after this year and Baalke is still the GM Shad Khan will have doomed this franchise yet again.

(03-29-2022, 03:44 PM)Khan Artist Wrote: Frankly if we're picking top 10 again after this year and Baalke is still the GM Shad Khan will have doomed this franchise yet again.

Um, this year the 10th pick went to a team that was 7-10 last year, and in most years the 10/11th picks have 6 or 7 wins during 16 game seasons. 

So are you saying the Jags have to win 8 games in 2022 or Baalke is failure?

I don't get the sense that anyone on the board is expecting 8 wins.

(03-29-2022, 11:41 AM)jagshype Wrote:

A local sports radio station conducted a poll on whether Baalke should be fired and 94% voted yes.  Much of the other 6% were probably fans of other teams or just trying to get a rise out of people.

They also invited supporters of Baalke to call in or send a text to give their point of view.  They went a couple of hours into the show without finding anyone who supported Baalke.  I've never seen a fan base so united behind firing someone.

I also see a lemmingesque mob mentality from this fanbase. It's as though they can't think for themselves. Case in point is a couple of posts above where the poster brings up Baalke's time in San Fran 6-7 years ago for his scorn for him today. What an ill-conceived reason for someone proclaiming to be a Jags fan.
The notion that Baalke could help this team turn the page with a good collaborator is one that I expected. Free agency more or less confirmed that.

(03-29-2022, 04:43 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(03-29-2022, 03:44 PM)Khan Artist Wrote: Frankly if we're picking top 10 again after this year and Baalke is still the GM Shad Khan will have doomed this franchise yet again.

Um, this year the 10th pick went to a team that was 7-10 last year, and in most years the 10/11th picks have 6 or 7 wins during 16 game seasons. 

6 wins will be a good season. Anything more is exceeding expectations.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(This post was last modified: 03-30-2022, 01:05 AM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

This team could win and hopefully will this year, but i dont think balkie will be the reason. At the end of the day, the players should get the credit.

(03-30-2022, 01:04 AM)Jag88 Wrote: This team could win and hopefully will this year, but i dont think balkie will be the reason. At the end of the day, the players should get the credit.

If we win or not, is on Trevors shoulders.

(03-29-2022, 11:57 PM)JaggedSioux Wrote: I also see a lemmingesque mob mentality from this fanbase. It's as though they can't think for themselves. Case in point is a couple of posts above where the poster brings up Baalke's time in San Fran 6-7 years ago for his scorn for him today. What an ill-conceived reason for someone proclaiming to be a Jags fan.
The notion that Baalke could help this team turn the page with a good collaborator is one that I expected. Free agency more or less confirmed that.

Well aren't you a self-righteous little douche-nozzle? 

Your pathetic inability to have a clear perception of this incredibly dedicated fanbase is only surpassed by your inexplicable decision to die on a hill for Trent Baalke. 

2022 free agency hasn't proven anything yet beyond a willingness to spend.

Baalke/Meyer struck out without swinging the bat last year.

Baalke/Pederson - clearly under directive to spend from Khan - got a guy on base and advanced him to second with a sac fly.    

This doesn't confirm what you are asserting. It merely means we may have acquired some expensive help whose contracts could come back to bite us in the [BLEEP] if Baalke isn't careful with cap space moving forward or if the newly acquired the players don't produce. 

Now, if Baalke's 2021 draft picks produce in 2022, as do his latest FA class, AND he finds a few contributors from the '22 draft, then we can decide if your unfounded stance on Baalke has any merit - or if the lovable little lemmings are following a wiser prognosticator to their fate. 

Until then - and to paraphrase William Smith - KEEP MY FANBASE's NAME OUT YOUR [BLEEP] MOUTH!!

(This post was last modified: 03-30-2022, 08:31 AM by Mikey.)

(03-29-2022, 04:43 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:

If we trade back this year for a package that includes future firsts, we better hope that team also does well, or the outraeg will be unbearable.

(03-29-2022, 07:44 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(03-29-2022, 11:41 AM)jagshype Wrote: My Baalke hate comes from 49ers fans and him being around for the trainwreck the last few years

A local sports radio station conducted a poll on whether Baalke should be fired and 94% voted yes.  Much of the other 6% were probably fans of other teams or just trying to get a rise out of people.

They also invited supporters of Baalke to call in or send a text to give their point of view.  They went a couple of hours into the show without finding anyone who supported Baalke.  I've never seen a fan base so united behind firing someone.

That sounds like a reliable poll. You should definitely take the results to heart.

I will give credit to Baalke for one thing, he has been very busy turning over this starting roster since taking over the GM role last season. 9 of 12 (including WR3) of the currently rostered offensive projected starters were acquired by draft and free agency since the beginning of just last season. 9 of 12 (including NB) of the currently rostered defensive projected starters were acquired by draft, free agency, and trade since the beginning of just last season. I would definitely characterize these type of numbers on a roster as a rebuild.

(03-29-2022, 11:57 PM)JaggedSioux Wrote: I also see a lemmingesque mob mentality from this fanbase. It's as though they can't think for themselves. Case in point is a couple of posts above where the poster brings up Baalke's time in San Fran 6-7 years ago for his scorn for him today. What an ill-conceived reason for someone proclaiming to be a Jags fan.

Why is it whenever someone says "People can't think for themselves' its in response to people having an opinion they don't share?

This is true almost 100% of the time. "There's no way you are thinking for yourself because you agree with popular opinion! There's no reason at all that the reason is popular, and it can't possibly be that I'm wrong."

Because you know... independent thinkers can't ever agree with popular opinion! It's basically middle-school level peer pressure b.s. coming from people who are woefully uninformed.
I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

(03-30-2022, 07:31 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:

Well aren't you a self-righteous little douche-nozzle? 

Your pathetic inability to have a clear perception of this incredibly dedicated fanbase is only surpassed by your inexplicable decision to die on a hill for Trent Baalke. 

2022 free agency hasn't proven anything yet beyond a willingness to spend.

Baalke/Meyer struck out without swinging the bat last year.

Baalke/Pederson - clearly under directive to spend from Khan - got a guy on base and advanced him to second with a sac fly.    

This doesn't confirm what you are asserting. It merely means we may have acquired some expensive help whose contracts could come back to bite us in the [BLEEP] if Baalke isn't careful with cap space moving forward or if the newly acquired the players don't produce. 

Now, if Baalke's 2021 draft picks produce in 2022, as do his latest FA class, AND he finds a few contributors from the '22 draft, then we can decide if your unfounded stance on Baalke has any merit - or if the lovable little lemmings are following a wiser prognosticator to their fate. 

Until then - and to paraphrase William Smith - KEEP MY FANBASE's NAME OUT YOUR [BLEEP] MOUTH!!

To add history and education

Under the first owner, Wayne Weaver we got very competitive with a spend and burn mentality. They pushed hard to the 1999 season with a loaded team and then we got killed by the salary cap.  This is not a lemming fanbase and we have seen this song and dance before.  The reason you are being treated this way is because you are joining at the 11th hour before the apocalypse and don't understand why we have such strong feelings about it.  Last season is way too reminiscent of past mistakes by this franchise.  And honestly this owner has a crazy commitment to failure.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.