Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Have we been too harsh on Baalke?

(04-27-2022, 05:42 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-27-2022, 04:53 PM)Jag149 Wrote: That is just it. We do not know if he fought it and never will.  The only opinion that really counts is the highest ranking guy in the room when a decision is made. In this situation after it is made you get on board or you get on down the road.  Another thing we will never know is if Baalke convinced Kahn to save the cap money till this year because he saw the train wreck coming.  Things that make you say hmmm...

You are welcome to excuse Baalke of any blame for the Urban Error if you so choose. 
In my mind, he has to be somewhat complicit. At the end of the day - he failed to convince team ownership not to make a horrible decision and this is part of the job. 

If he didn't fight, he's a fool. If he did fight, he didn't fight enough. 

And, yes, there are many variables we don't know that could paint Baalke in a better light. Could also go the other way. 

I'm glad he had a solid FA period this offseason and last year's draft looks solid or better, but I'm not trying to just look past the obvious mistakes until I see enough to constitute a trend in the right direction.
I guess I don't understand how he was supposed to fight against the hire of Meyer.
For starters, how was anyone supposed to predict the complete disaster he was to become? He came in with all the hoopla and the ink on the contract had dried before the red flags started popping up.
I'm guessing Baalke did more to help the organization than we know in mitigating that cesspool of a season.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(04-27-2022, 06:53 PM)JaggedSioux Wrote:
(04-27-2022, 05:42 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: You are welcome to excuse Baalke of any blame for the Urban Error if you so choose. 
In my mind, he has to be somewhat complicit. At the end of the day - he failed to convince team ownership not to make a horrible decision and this is part of the job. 

And, yes, there are many variables we don't know that could paint Baalke in a better light. Could also go the other way. 

I'm glad he had a solid FA period this offseason and last year's draft looks solid or better, but I'm not trying to just look past the obvious mistakes until I see enough to constitute a trend in the right direction.
I guess I don't understand how he was supposed to fight against the hire of Meyer.
For starters, how was anyone supposed to predict the complete disaster he was to become? He came in with all the hoopla and the ink on the contract had dried before the red flags started popping up.
I'm guessing Baalke did more to help the organization than we know in mitigating that cesspool of a season.

They have these things called job interviews.

For hires at this level, this process is usually multi faceted and extensive.  It's amazing what you can learn about a candidate's qualifications and intent by asking them the right questions.

Have we been too harsh on Baalke? Probably, we need to judge him on what he's done here, not past mistakes. If i was judged on my professional career when younger, i would not have the job i have right now. With that said, this will all work itself out in the next couple years so since we have no say anyway, RELAX! We will see...

(04-27-2022, 06:57 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-27-2022, 06:53 PM)JaggedSioux Wrote: I guess I don't understand how he was supposed to fight against the hire of Meyer.

They have these things called job interviews.

For hires at this level, this process is usually multi faceted and extensive.  It's amazing what you can learn about a candidate's qualifications and intent by asking them the right questions.

It certainly would be interesting yo see the transcripts from those interviews.

(04-27-2022, 05:42 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: You are welcome to excuse Baalke of any blame for the Urban Error if you so choose. 

I didn't know he would kick a player and such, but I was very opposed to hiring Urban Meyer.  Some of us actually wanted a head coach who had NFL experience.  Go figure.

(04-27-2022, 11:39 AM)JaggedSioux Wrote:
(04-27-2022, 11:25 AM)Sibelius Wrote: Actually, that would be a dream scenario for Baalke. He could then turn around and say, "See? You should have listened to me and gone with Walker. So everything is all Pederson's fault - we need a new coach." Of course he's whispering that into Khan's ear when Pederson isn't around, because he's a weasel . . .
You sure come up with the drama-queen scenarios. Do you cut womens' hair by chance?

[Image: 4ce.gif]
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(04-27-2022, 08:10 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(04-27-2022, 06:53 PM)JaggedSioux Wrote: I guess I don't understand how he was supposed to fight against the hire of Meyer.

I didn't know he would kick a player and such, but I was very opposed to hiring Urban Meyer.  Some of us actually wanted a head coach who had NFL experience.  Go figure.
You had it right then. I didn't know what to expect. Bought into his reputation.

(This post was last modified: 04-27-2022, 08:32 PM by jaguarmvp.)

Just a thought!

Pederson had to be ok with Baalke in taking this job. IF there really was an issue with Baalke I think Khan would of got rid of him on Pedersons behalf. The few rumors I hear is that Baalke and Pederson have a good working relationship. If Baalke has the approval of Pederson I am going to back him until he proves other wise.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(04-27-2022, 11:39 AM)JaggedSioux Wrote:
(04-27-2022, 11:25 AM)Sibelius Wrote: Actually, that would be a dream scenario for Baalke. He could then turn around and say, "See? You should have listened to me and gone with Walker. So everything is all Pederson's fault - we need a new coach." Of course he's whispering that into Khan's ear when Pederson isn't around, because he's a weasel . . .
You sure come up with the drama-queen scenarios. Do you cut womens' hair by chance?

Has your dad found a job yet? Sure glad he was fired.
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]

(04-27-2022, 08:33 PM)Sibelius Wrote:
(04-27-2022, 11:39 AM)JaggedSioux Wrote: You sure come up with the drama-queen scenarios. Do you cut womens' hair by chance?

Has your dad found a job yet? Sure glad he was fired.
Snip, snip.

(04-27-2022, 08:32 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Just a thought!

Pederson had to be ok with Baalke in taking this job.  IF there really was an issue with Baalke I think Khan would of got rid of him on Pedersons behalf.  The few rumors I hear is that Baalke and Pederson have a good working relationship.  If Baalke has the approval of Pederson I am going to back him until he proves other wise.

You have an avatar AND signature portraying the owner as a clown...

but you're fine just assuming he would have gotten rid of his GM to please a new coach? 
Mighty trusting of you.

Punt him

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2022, 01:45 AM by Jag88. Edited 1 time in total.)

Balkie was the one leaking all kinds of [BLEEP]. I dont understand how this guy gets so many chances and is recycled when there are plenty of potential good gms out there praying for a chance. Either way, we are stuck with him, so I hope for the best and wish him good luck in the draft today!

This draft is the ultimate make or break for Baalke. If he hits on his picks and the jags turn the corner, he is probably safe for years. If he whiffs and his picks bust, he is probably gone sooner than later.

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2022, 08:41 AM by Mikey.)

That's wrong in every sense. He had zero experience at this level; he abandoned his previous two jobs once the heat was catching up to him or he knew the ship was sinking; he apparently did not have a functional knowledge of the players he'd be coaching or coaching against; he did not have any understanding how league operations differed from those of the NCAA, and the list goes on.

I mean, cripes, just go back to the hiring announcement thread and read how many casual fans saw the inevitable coming. It seems that it was pretty darn easy to predict the disaster.
We just weren't distracted by the shiny like our team's owner so often is.

(04-27-2022, 08:32 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Just a thought!

Pederson had to be ok with Baalke in taking this job.  IF there really was an issue with Baalke I think Khan would of got rid of him on Pedersons behalf.  The few rumors I hear is that Baalke and Pederson have a good working relationship.  If Baalke has the approval of Pederson I am going to back him until he proves other wise.

I agree that Pederson had to accept the position knowing Baalke was the GM; however, I don't think that once we began the coaching search with Baalke in place that Khan had any choice but to keep him around or look even more incompetent than his recent efforts had already accomplished. Even when we entertained the notion of Leftwich coaching, Khan had to make the decision on Baalke at season's end, and chose to keep him around.

Let's hope Khan made the right choice. Blind squirrels and all...

(This post was last modified: 04-28-2022, 08:48 AM by JaggedSioux. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-28-2022, 08:37 AM)Mikey Wrote:

That's wrong in every sense. He had zero experience at this level; he abandoned his previous two jobs once the heat was catching up to him or he knew the ship was sinking; he apparently did not have a functional knowledge of the players he'd be coaching or coaching against; he did not have any understanding how league operations differed from those of the NCAA, and the list goes on.

I mean, cripes, just go back to the hiring announcement thread and read how many casual fans saw the inevitable coming. It seems that it was pretty darn easy to predict the disaster.
We just weren't distracted by the shiny like our team's owner so often is.
I don't pay as much attention to the college game, so those warning signs eluded me. He wasn't doing anything illegal, though, was he?
Shad probably saw him as a CEO type of coach who had proven his meddle at the college game and that would carry over. I think he wanted to breathe fresh air into the franchise for a quick cultural change, but instead got a crippling dose of Agent Orange.

(04-28-2022, 12:42 AM)Jag88 Wrote:

Balkie was the one leaking all kinds of [BLEEP]. I dont understand how this guy gets so many chances and is recycled when there are plenty of potential good gms out there praying for a chance. Either way, we are stuck with him, so I hope for the best and wish him good luck in the draft today!

You got a source to confirm that?

If there's one thing I've learned in my [mumble-mumble] years as a fan of this league, it's that owners tend to favor retreads rather than giving a newcomer a chance to learn the job on the fly. That goes for coaches, GMs, and everyone in between.

Hey baalke u will have mroe luck working the fryer at mcdonalds

Bugger off mate

(04-28-2022, 08:48 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(04-28-2022, 12:42 AM)Jag88 Wrote: Balkie was the one leaking all kinds of [BLEEP]. I dont understand how this guy gets so many chances and is recycled when there are plenty of potential good gms out there praying for a chance. Either way, we are stuck with him, so I hope for the best and wish him good luck in the draft today!

You got a source to confirm that?

If there's one thing I've learned in my [mumble-mumble] years as a fan of this league, it's that owners tend to favor retreads rather than giving a newcomer a chance to learn the job on the fly. That goes for coaches, GMs, and everyone in between.
There won't be a direct source since Baalke is still here but from SF some have said info was coming from him as he wanted to manage it and look out for himself.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

Only Baalke could screw this up this bad!! Why does Khan hate his own team?
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"