Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Music that doesn't hold up

(This post was last modified: 03-22-2022, 04:39 PM by mikesez. Edited 1 time in total.)

I think all of us, especially in our teenage years, liked music that was more about shock value or trendiness than skill or talent.

So what's something you jammed to back then, that is hard to listen to now?  One that comes to my mind is White Zombie.  One note basslines, vocals that were more growling than singing, etc.  And Korn!  Same reason.  What's yours?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I find myself still listening to much of what I did in HS. Just much less since so many other songs/artist I enjoy came out since. Oddly enough, your two examples Korn and white/Rob Zombie I still love today. I like that “angry” music. The biggest bands I got away from were INXS and Metallica. I’ll still listen to some Metallica but my range of songs I care to listen to has dwindled. I remember wearing out the “Load” and “ReLoad” albums. Just can’t do it anymore. My tastes have changed a bit and I’ve learned to appreciate other styles of music. Here lately my daughter likes to change the radio to either 50’s or 60’s if we’re listening to SiriusXM. I don’t mind it at all. Is what tiny jags listened to while riding in the back seat as a boy when dad was driving.

(03-22-2022, 04:58 PM)Jags Wrote: I find myself still listening to much of what I did in HS.  Just much less since so many other songs/artist I enjoy came out since.  Oddly enough, your two examples Korn and white/Rob Zombie I still love today.  I like that “angry” music.  The biggest bands I got away from were INXS and Metallica.  I’ll still listen to some Metallica but my range of songs I care to listen to has dwindled.  I remember wearing out the “Load” and “ReLoad” albums.  Just can’t do it anymore.  My tastes have changed a bit and I’ve learned to appreciate other styles of music.  Here lately my daughter likes to change the radio to either 50’s or 60’s if we’re listening to SiriusXM.  I don’t mind it at all.  Is what tiny jags listened to while riding in the back seat as a boy when dad was driving.

Me too! I was so sad when COOL 96.9 became "The Eagle".  The SXM 60's on 6 didn't cut it for me.  60s Gold does a better job of only playing the catchiest, most memorable songs.  Both your dad and my dad probably listened to some lower quality stuff back in their day, that the oldies stations have decided to not remember.

(This post was last modified: 03-23-2022, 10:07 AM by Mikey.)

(03-22-2022, 04:38 PM)mikesez Wrote: I think all of us, especially in our teenage years, liked music that was more about shock value or trendiness than skill or talent.

So what's something you jammed to back then, that is hard to listen to now?  One that comes to my mind is White Zombie.  One note basslines, vocals that were more growling than singing, etc.  And Korn!  Same reason.  What's yours?

Wesley Willis(RIP). Goofy, chaotic, but then you realize it was more a case of the band exploiting a guy's struggle with mental illness to keep him on edge. Rock over London, Rock on, Chicago!

I've never really been one to go all in on pop music, trending more toward thrash metal, classic rock, psychadelia. There were a lot more bands that no matter how popular they were, I just couldn't get into them - Korn, Type O Neg, The Cure, The Smiths, etc. Just an absolute nope from first listen.

For me, I think early on I bought a bunch of stuff, especially if I saw them live, and after a while, grew out of that phase. A lot of hair metal in that category (Firehouse, Winger, anyone?). Those tapes and CDs ended up in the trade bin at the local second hand music store. My tastes are quite diverse, the collection ranges from Cannibal Corpse to Allison Krouse, but once something stops meaning something to me, I move on from it.

(03-22-2022, 04:58 PM)Jags Wrote: I find myself still listening to much of what I did in HS.  Just much less since so many other songs/artist I enjoy came out since.  Oddly enough, your two examples Korn and white/Rob Zombie I still love today.  I like that “angry” music.  The biggest bands I got away from were INXS and Metallica.  I’ll still listen to some Metallica but my range of songs I care to listen to has dwindled.  I remember wearing out the “Load” and “ReLoad” albums.  Just can’t do it anymore.  My tastes have changed a bit and I’ve learned to appreciate other styles of music.  Here lately my daughter likes to change the radio to either 50’s or 60’s if we’re listening to SiriusXM.  I don’t mind it at all.  Is what tiny jags listened to while riding in the back seat as a boy when dad was driving.

It is well known that Metallica stopped making albums after "Justice".

They were one I was really into through HS and college, but after the black album and championing the anti-Napster movement, I soured on them more than any other band out there. Remember that when they first started they were double-birds all day every day toward the establishment and record companies, then suddenly they hit it big and now the almighty dollar is more important. Their polar opposite would be a band like Tool, who welcome fans to post and share their material, make new fans so they can go out and buy their catalog.

(This post was last modified: 03-23-2022, 10:11 AM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-22-2022, 05:17 PM)mikesez Wrote:

Me too! I was so sad when COOL 96.9 became "The Eagle".  The SXM 60's on 6 didn't cut it for me.  60s Gold does a better job of only playing the catchiest, most memorable songs.  Both your dad and my dad probably listened to some lower quality stuff back in their day, that the oldies stations have decided to not remember.
I’m sure what they listened to wasn’t as good as the songs we now hear.  It’s like listening to the 90’s or ‘00’s stations.  My wife will put those on and I’ll roll my eyes.  But like the oldies today, they only play Al the songs you’ve heard a million times whether you listened to that style or not, the catchy ones like you said.  For that, I can put up with it. 

I catch grief for this all the time.  But one band I loved in my teenage years was AC/DC.  That love only grew as the years piled on and is still my favorite band to listen to.  I love their story, their attitude and the fact they didn’t really stray in in the style of music they created over so many years. The Bon Scott/Brian Johnson debate… love ‘em both. They both brought Good things to the table.

(03-22-2022, 04:38 PM)mikesez Wrote: So what's something you jammed to back then, that is hard to listen to now?  

Reggae, specifically Bob Marley.   Not sure if it's too mainstream now or if I just got burnt out on it --- prob both.

(This post was last modified: 03-23-2022, 02:58 PM by Mikey.)

(03-23-2022, 10:52 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(03-22-2022, 04:38 PM)mikesez Wrote: So what's something you jammed to back then, that is hard to listen to now?  

Reggae, specifically Bob Marley.   Not sure if it's too mainstream now or if I just got burnt out on it --- prob both.

It's good in small doses, but to sit and listen to only reggae for 3 hours, after awhile you feel like you just have the same song on repeat.

A few of the odd musical genres that have surged and faded in my time:

Ska
gregorian chant
nu metal
glam/hair metal

I'm sure a few of these were in y'alls libraries at one time or another

You wanted the best, you got the best. The HOTTEST band in the world...KISS!!!!

Yikes. I still have most of their original lineup albums on vinyl. Musicianship and songwriting aside, they made a lot of money being basically a bar band/one trick pony so ya gotta give them credit for that at least even if not for the music, lol.

(03-23-2022, 02:55 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-23-2022, 10:52 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Reggae, specifically Bob Marley.   Not sure if it's too mainstream now or if I just got burnt out on it --- prob both.

It's good in small doses, but to sit and listen to only reggae for 3 hours, after awhile you feel like you just have the same song on repeat

Oh my goodness, you should expand your horizons a bit. Reggae actually covers A LOT of territory, cultural influences and sub-genres.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2022, 03:30 AM by NewJagsCity. Edited 5 times in total.)

50's: Fabian
60's: The Monkees, Herman's Hermits, Bobby Goldsboro, Tommy Roe, Iron Butterfly
70's: KISS, Bad Company, Three Dog Night (good songs, bad production), the Jacksons, Meat Loaf, Rare Earth
80's: Culture Club, WHAM/George Micheal, Bon Jovi, Quiet Riot, Judas Priest, Twisted Sister
90's: Janet Jackson, Paula Abdul, Megadeth, Savage Garden, Poison, Metallica
2000's: Puddle of Mudd, Michelle Branch
2010's: too soon to know (are they still making music? ;-) )
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(03-22-2022, 04:38 PM)mikesez Wrote: I think all of us, especially in our teenage years, liked music that was more about shock value or trendiness than skill or talent.

I still listen to Korn and White Zombie and I'm 51. That music is timeless. 

When I was a early teenager, I would listen to Quiet Riot and Twisted Sister. That stuff didn't hold up at all. I was embarrassed that I ever liked it.

(03-23-2022, 10:02 AM)Mikey Wrote:

Wesley Willis(RIP). Goofy, chaotic, but then you realize it was more a case of the band exploiting a guy's struggle with mental illness to keep him on edge. Rock over London, Rock on, Chicago!

I've never really been one to go all in on pop music, trending more toward thrash metal, classic rock, psychadelia. There were a lot more bands that no matter how popular they were, I just couldn't get into them - Korn, Type O Neg, The Cure, The Smiths, etc. Just an absolute nope from first listen.

For me, I think early on I bought a bunch of stuff, especially if I saw them live, and after a while, grew out of that phase. A lot of hair metal in that category (Firehouse, Winger, anyone?). Those tapes and CDs ended up in the trade bin at the local second hand music store. My tastes are quite diverse, the collection ranges from Cannibal Corpse to Allison Krouse, but once something stops meaning something to me, I move on from it.

It is well known that Metallica stopped making albums after "Justice".

They were one I was really into through HS and college, but after the black album and championing the anti-Napster movement, I soured on them more than any other band out there. Remember that when they first started they were double-birds all day every day toward the establishment and record companies, then suddenly they hit it big and now the almighty dollar is more important. Their polar opposite would be a band like Tool, who welcome fans to post and share their material, make new fans so they can go out and buy their catalog.

I loved Type O Negative. I still have Christian Woman on my playlist. I love heavy metal music, but I cannot get into the death metal, black metal or doom metal stuff. I cannot understand a word of lyrics in Cannibal Corpse songs. It's all just grunts and weird noises to me. Nowadays, I'm into Slipknot, Avenged Sevenfold, Ghost and I still listen to the classics from Led Zeppelin and AC/DC. 

I was very into Metallica in college, but they went an entirely different direction when they made St. Anger and they have not returned. That was one of the worst albums I have ever heard. It literally hurts my head. I refuse to listen to anything off that album or any album of theirs after St. Anger was made. 

I'm a fan of Tool as well, but their videos give me nightmares.

(03-23-2022, 06:41 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

I still listen to Korn and White Zombie and I'm 51. That music is timeless. 

When I was a early teenager, I would listen to Quiet Riot and Twisted Sister. That stuff didn't hold up at all. I was embarrassed that I ever liked it.

(Holds beer up) I love you man!

(This post was last modified: 03-23-2022, 08:36 PM by Jags. Edited 4 times in total.)

IMetallica kinda went “alternative” as I grew up.  I quit following but on there S&M album, I think, No Leaf Clover was pretty damn good.  Having the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra belt out a rock and roll song is just freaking gold.  Of live performances it’s a top five on my list.  Hard to beat the cannon blasts of “For those about to Rock” and it’s sweet guitar rifts.  Will always be my #1.  And I have seen that one live.

Edit: seen acdc not Metallica live.  91 in Tinley Park IL and 2008 in Tampa.

Edit: edit: may not have been 91 lol must’ve been the 2000 or 2001.  Was reminiscing and realized they were in Chicago more than one and I was apparently 9 in 1991. So had to be the 2000 show.  I was 18 or 19. Must’ve been good, lol

(03-23-2022, 07:56 PM)Jags Wrote: IMetallica kinda went “alternative” as I grew up.  I quit following but on there S&M album, I think, No Leaf Clover was pretty damn good.  Having the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra belt out a rock and roll song is just freaking gold.  Of live performances it’s a top five on my list.  Hard to beat the cannon blasts of “For those about to Rock” and it’s sweet guitar rifts.  Will always be my #1.  And I have seen that one live.

Edit: edit: may not have been 91 lol must’ve been the 2000 or 2001.  Was reminiscing and realized they were in Chicago more than one and I was apparently 9 in 1991. So had to be the 2000 show.  I was 18 or 19. Must’ve been good, lol

Dude, that Metallica S&M CD is the best. My husband bought me the DVD of that concert for Christmas a few years ago and it's [BLEEP] to see the band with the orchestra behind them. I can't listen to the studio version of any of those songs because they pale in comparison.

(03-23-2022, 08:44 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(03-23-2022, 07:56 PM)Jags Wrote: IMetallica kinda went “alternative” as I grew up.  I quit following but on there S&M album, I think, No Leaf Clover was pretty damn good.  Having the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra belt out a rock and roll song is just freaking gold.  Of live performances it’s a top five on my list.  Hard to beat the cannon blasts of “For those about to Rock” and it’s sweet guitar rifts.  Will always be my #1.  And I have seen that one live.

Dude, that Metallica S&M CD is the best. My husband bought me the DVD of that concert for Christmas a few years ago and it's [BLEEP] to see the band with the orchestra behind them. I can't listen to the studio version of any of those songs because they pale in comparison.

In school, we used to make fun of many of the band kids.  But Metallica made those guys cool again. Pretty cool and innovative for a rock n roll/ heavy metal band.  Much respect to the Orchestra and the band for pulling that off and giving another generation more love for music.  All around it was brilliant.  

But Metallica got soft.  For that.. bye James and Lars. Sellouts!  Big Grin

(This post was last modified: 03-23-2022, 10:07 PM by mikesez. Edited 1 time in total.)

S&M and the Black album are the only Metallica albums I like. Load is OK. The S&M version of Hero of the Day gives me all the feels.
Their earlier stuff is just to raw for me and their later stuff seems... fake.. somehow.

I love Metallica.. They kinda aged well, not great, but well enough to where I continued to listen. Best albums to me has to be Master of Puppets and And Justice for All.. I still listen to the harder stuff too. Still love me some Slipknot.

I haven't grown out of some music and I don't think I ever will.. Instead, I've grown a fondness for other types of music as well.. Frank Sinatra and country music for example..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

(03-23-2022, 10:06 PM)mikesez Wrote: S&M and the Black album are the only Metallica albums I like.  Load is OK.  The S&M version of Hero of the Day gives me all the feels.
Their earlier stuff is just to raw for me and their later stuff seems... fake.. somehow.

We can agree on that for sure.

If the lyrics are written specifically for an adolescent audience, I have a hard time revisiting it now as a grown man. Slipknot and Korn come to mind. Though there are some slipknot songs I still like. Machine Head is one that I used to be a big fan of, but am now kinda done with them. There are plenty of metal bands I still love though. Even though my formative years as a teen occurred in the early and mid 90’s, I feel like my favorite rock/metal era is the 70’s and 80’s or at least it’s become that way as I’ve aged.

I’ve had greatest hits albums of Led Zeppelin even as a teen but my appreciation for them as the greatest band ever has grown as an adult as I’ve explored the rest of their catalogue. I’ve also gotten significantly more into blues artists from that time period as well.

Anyway, for me it’s about the lyrics and if they have aged well or not.

(03-23-2022, 05:11 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: You wanted the best, you got the best. The HOTTEST band in the world...KISS!!!!

Yikes. I still have most of their original lineup albums on vinyl. Musicianship and songwriting aside, they made a lot of money being basically a bar band/one trick pony so ya gotta give them credit for that at least even if not for the music, lol.

(03-23-2022, 02:55 PM)Mikey Wrote: It's good in small doses, but to sit and listen to only reggae for 3 hours, after awhile you feel like you just have the same song on repeat

Oh my goodness, you should expand your horizons a bit. Reggae actually covers A LOT of territory, cultural influences and sub-genres.

Like I said, I dig reggae, but I can't listen to it solely for hours on end. There's very few genres that I do that with, anyway. There's so much good music out there, why limit your experience?

And KISS was one of those bands that I heard once or twice, never really got into. They were more about image and self promotion and less about the actual music. When I first started getting into heavy music (mid 80's around 13 y.o), looking back to the 70's found gems like ACDC, Maiden, Priest, Sabbath, Deep Purple, and yeah, Kiss was just not cutting it for me. Give Gene credit, though, that dude understood that marketing and exposure would take them places. They put their faces on everything, and still do!