Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Music that doesn't hold up

(03-23-2022, 06:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I loved Type O Negative. I still have Christian Woman on my playlist. I love heavy metal music, but I cannot get into the death metal, black metal or doom metal stuff. I cannot understand a word of lyrics in Cannibal Corpse songs. It's all just grunts and weird noises to me. Nowadays, I'm into Slipknot, Avenged Sevenfold, Ghost and I still listen to the classics from Led Zeppelin and AC/DC. 

I was very into Metallica in college, but they went an entirely different direction when they made St. Anger and they have not returned. That was one of the worst albums I have ever heard. It literally hurts my head. I refuse to listen to anything off that album or any album of theirs after St. Anger was made. 

I'm a fan of Tool as well, but their videos give me nightmares.

The way I see it with stuff like death metal, treat the vocals as a background instrument like bass or rhythm guitar...not trying to sing along to any of those songs. I enjoy a lot of them just for the speed of the music, and especially while working, not having distinguishable vocals helps me not get overly distracted.

It's funny how a lot of people (not directed at you) will hear CC or other speed/death metal bands and just characterize it as guys abusing their guitars as hard and fast as they can with no respect to actual music. But man, take a moment to watch them actually playing and some of these guys are jaw-dropping with their ability to actually play. It's just that there's so much distortion or other guys playing over them that a lot of the artistry gets buried. I caught a documentary of corpse touring, and just a quick segment of the bassist doing some warm-up exercises...my goodness.

I think my biggest college purge would have been Van Hagar. Always dug VH, when Roth left it sucked, but Hagar was ok and they got a lot of radio airplay. First year of college guy down the hall was a HUGE VH fan, but only played Hagar and 1984. ALL. THE. TIME. At. Full. Blast. I can't even listen to older VH any more. The guy across the hall would blast DC Talk, it was doubleplusungood. Probably a big part why I leaned so hard into heavier, louder, nastier stuff.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 03-24-2022, 09:37 AM by Mikey.)

(03-23-2022, 07:56 PM)Jags Wrote: IMetallica kinda went “alternative” as I grew up.  I quit following but on there S&M album, I think, No Leaf Clover was pretty damn good.  Having the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra belt out a rock and roll song is just freaking gold.  Of live performances it’s a top five on my list.  Hard to beat the cannon blasts of “For those about to Rock” and it’s sweet guitar rifts.  Will always be my #1.  And I have seen that one live.

Edit: seen acdc not Metallica live.  91 in Tinley Park IL and 2008 in Tampa.

Edit: edit: may not have been 91 lol must’ve been the 2000 or 2001.  Was reminiscing and realized they were in Chicago more than one and I was apparently 9 in 1991. So had to be the 2000 show.  I was 18 or 19. Must’ve been good, lol

'91 would have been around the time Razor's Edge was out, I saw them on that tour, was very awesome. And yeah, those cannons in an arena as the closer meant you screamed "huh?" a whole bunch on the way home from the show. the ringing subsided after 2 or 3 days!

never seent Metallica but yeah, S&M was a cool way to reimagine some of their catalog. But I want to say that Apocalyptica had been doing strings version of heavy metal for a while before the SF orchestra joined in.

(03-23-2022, 10:06 PM)mikesez Wrote: S&M and the Black album are the only Metallica albums I like.  Load is OK.  The S&M version of Hero of the Day gives me all the feels.
Their earlier stuff is just to raw for me and their later stuff seems... fake.. somehow.

This post hurts my soul.

Cliff era Metallica was where it was at. Raw was good. It's like older Nine Inch Nails. There was an edge to it while they scraped and clawed their way against the system to break through. Once they made the mainstream, that edge went away.

Speaking of music, am I the only one that eats those little halo oranges and the Soil songs plays in their head?

“I will wrap my arms around you
And I will stone you, stone you
My little HALO!”

(03-23-2022, 05:11 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: You wanted the best, you got the best. The HOTTEST band in the world...KISS!!!!

Yikes. I still have most of their original lineup albums on vinyl. Musicianship and songwriting aside, they made a lot of money being basically a bar band/one trick pony so ya gotta give them credit for that at least even if not for the music, lol.

(03-23-2022, 02:55 PM)Mikey Wrote: It's good in small doses, but to sit and listen to only reggae for 3 hours, after awhile you feel like you just have the same song on repeat

Oh my goodness, you should expand your horizons a bit. Reggae actually covers A LOT of territory, cultural influences and sub-genres.

In depth YES.  Let me explain.  When a local band plays reggae, it mostly sounds the same (e.g. steel drums, etc.) and they mix a lot of Marley which is fine but I've done 20 years of that.   I like Peter Tosh which is still mainstream in the grand scheme of pure Reggae fans.   Additionally, I love when people like Sean Paul mixes hip hop and reggae overtones ..... that said, if I'm exposed to a reggae band in the streets of Kingston Jamaica, I'd be in heaven but if I get out locally here at Jax Beach, I don't want to hear the same ole beat over and over again as they don't have the talent to diversify.   Perhaps my response should have been .... sick of mainstream Reggae and local Reggae.

(03-24-2022, 04:38 PM)Jags Wrote: Speaking of music, am I the only one that eats those little halo oranges and the Soil songs plays in their head?

My little HALO!”

When I eat those little Halo oranges, i hear the Beyonce song (Halo) playing in the background and she appears naked in my vivid imagination.  Unfortunately, when I eat regular oranges, Michael Stipe (REM) song Orange Crush plays in my head and he appears naked in my vivid imagination.

(03-24-2022, 05:28 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(03-24-2022, 04:38 PM)Jags Wrote: Speaking of music, am I the only one that eats those little halo oranges and the Soil songs plays in their head?

My little HALO!”

When I eat those little Halo oranges, i hear the Beyonce song (Halo) playing in the background and she appears naked in my vivid imagination.  Unfortunately, when I eat regular oranges, Michael Stipe (REM) song Orange Crush plays in my head and he appears naked in my vivid imagination.

Hmmm…..interesting.   I may have to give her song a listen now.  I always chuckled to myself while eating an innocent  “kids” Orange and thinking of the angry music.  But if you’re telling me a naked hot chick will appear in my head….

I really want to say Disco but who am kidding. Let me hear some KC and the Sunshine Band and all I want to do is Boogie Oogie Oogie
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(03-24-2022, 07:49 PM)copycat Wrote: I really want to say Disco but who am kidding.  Let me hear some KC and the Sunshine Band and all I want to do is Boogie Oogie Oogie

Yeah, disco obviously got overdone in its time, but now you don't hear it very often, it is a great treat! Most of it is very well done.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Video Killed the Radio Star didn't age well. I mean, sure videos were popular once but that ship sailed and sank like the Titanic. Lol

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2022, 03:30 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(03-24-2022, 09:29 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-23-2022, 06:52 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I loved Type O Negative. I still have Christian Woman on my playlist. I love heavy metal music, but I cannot get into the death metal, black metal or doom metal stuff. I cannot understand a word of lyrics in Cannibal Corpse songs. It's all just grunts and weird noises to me. Nowadays, I'm into Slipknot, Avenged Sevenfold, Ghost and I still listen to the classics from Led Zeppelin and AC/DC. 

I was very into Metallica in college, but they went an entirely different direction when they made St. Anger and they have not returned. That was one of the worst albums I have ever heard. It literally hurts my head. I refuse to listen to anything off that album or any album of theirs after St. Anger was made. 

I'm a fan of Tool as well, but their videos give me nightmares.

The way I see it with stuff like death metal, treat the vocals as a background instrument like bass or rhythm guitar...not trying to sing along to any of those songs. I enjoy a lot of them just for the speed of the music, and especially while working, not having distinguishable vocals helps me not get overly distracted.

It's funny how a lot of people (not directed at you) will hear CC or other speed/death metal bands and just characterize it as guys abusing their guitars as hard and fast as they can with no respect to actual music. But man, take a moment to watch them actually playing and some of these guys are jaw-dropping with their ability to actually play. It's just that there's so much distortion or other guys playing over them that a lot of the artistry gets buried. I caught a documentary of corpse touring, and just a quick segment of the bassist doing some warm-up exercises...my goodness.

I think my biggest college purge would have been Van Hagar. Always dug VH, when Roth left it sucked, but Hagar was ok and they got a lot of radio airplay. First year of college guy down the hall was a HUGE VH fan, but only played Hagar and 1984. ALL. THE. TIME. At. Full. Blast. I can't even listen to older VH any more. The guy across the hall would blast DC Talk, it was doubleplusungood. Probably a big part why I leaned so hard into heavier, louder, nastier stuff.

I am the very opposite. I was never a Van Halen fan or a Sammy Hagar fan, but when he became lead singer of Van Halen, I loved their music. I hated David Lee Roth with a passion. I still do. 

I have no idea what DC Talk is.

My little HALO!”

That is one of my favorite songs of all time. Whatever happened to Soil?

(03-24-2022, 05:53 PM)Jags Wrote:
(03-24-2022, 05:28 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: When I eat those little Halo oranges, i hear the Beyonce song (Halo) playing in the background and she appears naked in my vivid imagination.  Unfortunately, when I eat regular oranges, Michael Stipe (REM) song Orange Crush plays in my head and he appears naked in my vivid imagination.

Hmmm…..interesting.   I may have to give her song a listen now.  I always chuckled to myself while eating an innocent  “kids” Orange and thinking of the angry music.  But if you’re telling me a naked hot chick will appear in my head….

I had to re-read this. At first I thought it said, "I always chuckled to myself while eating an innocent kid" . That was a little disturbing. LOL.

(03-24-2022, 09:07 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-23-2022, 05:11 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: You wanted the best, you got the best. The HOTTEST band in the world...KISS!!!!

Yikes. I still have most of their original lineup albums on vinyl. Musicianship and songwriting aside, they made a lot of money being basically a bar band/one trick pony so ya gotta give them credit for that at least even if not for the music, lol.

Oh my goodness, you should expand your horizons a bit. Reggae actually covers A LOT of territory, cultural influences and sub-genres.

Like I said, I dig reggae, but I can't listen to it solely for hours on end. There's very few genres that I do that with, anyway. There's so much good music out there, why limit your experience?

And KISS was one of those bands that I heard once or twice, never really got into. They were more about image and self promotion and less about the actual music. When I first started getting into heavy music (mid 80's around 13 y.o), looking back to the 70's found gems like ACDC, Maiden, Priest, Sabbath, Deep Purple, and yeah, Kiss was just not cutting it for me. Give Gene credit, though, that dude understood that marketing and exposure would take them places. They put their faces on everything, and still do!

That's why I put Kiss on the list. They were awesome when I was 13 but you quickly realize there's not that much there musically. They did make a lot out of a rather limited amount of talent. Their best musician was Ace Frehley who actually was a good guitarist when he was sober but there's the rub.

Reggae is a huge genre. I can listen to it all day because there's so much variety but it's easy to think Bob Marley and his popified US recordings are all there is. It's like somebody from Thailand thinking all there is to rock music is AC/DC.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(03-24-2022, 08:09 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(03-24-2022, 07:49 PM)copycat Wrote: I really want to say Disco but who am kidding.  Let me hear some KC and the Sunshine Band and all I want to do is Boogie Oogie Oogie

Yeah, disco obviously got overdone in its time, but now you don't hear it very often, it is a great treat! Most of it is very well done.

Disco was almost cool.  it got so close, but fell short.
But there's a reason that every single popular disco song has been sampled over and over again.

try to just walk to The Beegees sometime
s
;

;

(This post was last modified: 03-28-2022, 06:45 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-26-2022, 08:36 PM)MarleyJag Wrote:
(03-24-2022, 09:07 AM)Mikey Wrote: Like I said, I dig reggae, but I can't listen to it solely for hours on end. There's very few genres that I do that with, anyway. There's so much good music out there, why limit your experience?

And KISS was one of those bands that I heard once or twice, never really got into. They were more about image and self promotion and less about the actual music. When I first started getting into heavy music (mid 80's around 13 y.o), looking back to the 70's found gems like ACDC, Maiden, Priest, Sabbath, Deep Purple, and yeah, Kiss was just not cutting it for me. Give Gene credit, though, that dude understood that marketing and exposure would take them places. They put their faces on everything, and still do!

That's why I put Kiss on the list. They were awesome when I was 13 but you quickly realize there's not that much there musically. They did make a lot out of a rather limited amount of talent. Their best musician was Ace Frehley who actually was a good guitarist when he was sober but there's the rub.

Reggae is a huge genre. I can listen to it all day because there's so much variety but it's easy to think Bob Marley and his popified US recordings are all there is. It's like somebody from Thailand thinking all there is to rock music is AC/DC.

Kiss did a remarkable job of branding and marketing themselves.  Whether it was Simmons, the manager or whoever, they sold so much merchandise that it’s not even funny. Other bands may have been more popular but Kiss made up for that in sales.  Ingenious.  Kudos to whoever did that. I’m not a Kiss hater, I’m not a Kiss lover.  Sure, I like a bunch of their stuff.  But the marketing people knocked it out of the park.  And more power to them.

Oh, and don’t talk bad about ac/dc

I'll be 34 years old next month. I grew up in the 90's listening to Korn, White Zombie, Tool, etc.

I still like it all. Actually saw them all at Rockville here a few years ago. Saw Tool for a 2nd time just recently last month in Orlando.

Have seen Metallica twice. None of it really gets "old" for me. I'll play it to death while working out or driving to work. Then ill take a break and return to it.

I listen to everything though. One minute it's a track that Vangelis made in the 1970's like "Spiral" to a modern track like "Venom" from Ghostemane. Or, from "Chrome Splat" from Tipper to "I Don't Want To Talk About It" from Crazy Horse. "Diary Of A Working Man" from Blackfoot to "Burn" from The Cure.

I think, sound wise? I just can't get into bands like Atreyu, Killswitch Engage and Staind anymore. If it comes up in a playlist of mine I tend to skip it. Just doesn't work for me.

However. Bands like Avenged Sevenfold, Kyuss, Suicideboys, Jinjer and Baroness I tend to gravitate towards. I don't know. I am into a lot of [BLEEP]. Even Japanese anime OSTs catch onto me quickly. "Earth" from Berserk is catchy. The bagpipes always hit a nerve for me in that track. "Levitation Nation" from Shpongle is a staple.

I can talk music for hours.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-28-2022, 06:44 PM)Jags Wrote:
(03-26-2022, 08:36 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: That's why I put Kiss on the list. They were awesome when I was 13 but you quickly realize there's not that much there musically. They did make a lot out of a rather limited amount of talent. Their best musician was Ace Frehley who actually was a good guitarist when he was sober but there's the rub.

Kiss did a remarkable job of branding and marketing themselves.  Whether it was Simmons, the manager or whoever, they sold so much merchandise that it’s not even funny. Other bands may have been more popular but Kiss made up for that in sales.  Ingenious.  Kudos to whoever did that. I’m not a Kiss hater, I’m not a Kiss lover.  Sure, I like a bunch of their stuff.  But the marketing people knocked it out of the park.  And more power to them.

Oh, and don’t talk bad about ac/dc

Hey, I sent off for my Kiss Army badge back in the day so I know what you mean. And I got nothing against AC/DC. They are very good at what they do. It's just that AC/DC isn't all there is to rock. Like Bob Marley isn't all there is to reggae.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

I have a skewed perspective having studied music and having performed professionally for decades now.
My taste has evolved several times.
But I'm a diverse listener, I give everything a chance, and I still like plenty of stuff I liked as a kid.
I just don't listen to it actively much anymore. Maybe just enjoy hearing it nostalgically.
Many folks here mentioning some heavier gtr-driven bands. Several of my good friends listen to heavier metal stuff and I get the appeal, don't hate it, just isn't my bag.
I am a sucker for a handful of Deftones songs though. They pull off the age-old "soft verse-loud chorus" dynamic shift very effectively.

(03-30-2022, 05:25 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I have a skewed perspective having studied music and having performed professionally for decades now.
But I'm a diverse listener, I give everything a chance, and I still like plenty of stuff I liked as a kid.
I just don't listen to it actively much anymore. Maybe just enjoy hearing it nostalgically.
Many folks here mentioning some heavier gtr-driven bands. Several of my good friends listen to heavier metal stuff and I get the appeal, don't hate it, just isn't my bag.
I am a sucker for a handful of Deftones songs though. They pull off the age-old "soft verse-loud chorus" dynamic shift very effectively.
Deftones is great. Chino has a great voice for that sound. I agree with the sound. 100%. That's why I dig Tool so much. The musicianship and then the low voice with sudden outbursts with Maynard matching Danny on the drums.

Devin Townsend is another dude I dig. Did some work in Strapping Young Lad but his solo stuff is great. The Death Of Music, Bastard and Deadhead are great tracks.

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(03-30-2022, 05:37 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(03-30-2022, 05:25 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: I have a skewed perspective having studied music and having performed professionally for decades now.
Deftones is great. Chino has a great voice for that sound. I agree with the sound. 100%. That's why I dig Tool so much. The musicianship and then the low voice with sudden outbursts with Maynard matching Danny on the drums.

Devin Townsend is another dude I dig. Did some work in Strapping Young Lad but his solo stuff is great. The Death Of Music, Bastard and Deadhead are great tracks.

Tool are widely respected amongst pro players as craft masters. Very accomplished musicians compared to many in that genre and related styles. 

I'd wager no professional touring acts have ever sold more tickets to pro and amateur drummers as have Rush and Tool. 
LOL

(03-30-2022, 05:44 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(03-30-2022, 05:37 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Deftones is great. Chino has a great voice for that sound. I agree with the sound. 100%. That's why I dig Tool so much. The musicianship and then the low voice with sudden outbursts with Maynard matching Danny on the drums.

Tool are widely respected amongst pro players as craft masters. Very accomplished musicians compared to many in that genre and related styles. 

I'd wager no professional touring acts have ever sold more tickets to pro and amateur drummers as have Rush and Tool. 
LOL
Agreed. Tool is fun to watch. I like the fact that the spotlight is put on them and not Maynard. They all get a moment or two to showcase and highlight what they excel at overall.

Danny Carey really drives it all though. They seem to bounce and feed off him. Jones and Chancellor hold their own but it really feels like the way Carey carries the drums is what ties it altogether.

I heard, "walk like a man, talk like a man" on the radio today and thought.... ouch. lol