Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Weird Food Combos

Ill start things off with a personal favouritr of mine

Honey and vegemite

Get the ratio right on your sandwitch and its the perfect snack, salty n sweet

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Caramel coated French Fries, a perfect sweet and salty combo!
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

(This post was last modified: 03-23-2022, 09:48 AM by Mikey.)

ice cream accompanied with a nice porter or stout.

and yes, I do consider a good dark beer to be food.

(03-22-2022, 09:48 PM)StrayaJag Wrote: Ill start things off with a personal favouritr of mine

Honey and vegemite

Get the ratio right on your sandwitch and its the perfect snack, salty n sweet

wifey gets the strangest looks when we eat at a restaurant and asks for honey on the side of her fried okra.

I had a gf in HS that put ketchup on corn. I looked at her like like WTH? She told me to try it. I did, and it wasn’t as bad as I thought. Still seems odd to me though.

Mexican favorite that most Americans don't know about ....

Corn on the cob, layered with Mayo (not butter), parmesan cheese, and a hint of tajin (chile lime seasoning powder)

(03-23-2022, 10:09 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Mexican favorite that most Americans don't know about ....

Corn on the cob, layered with Mayo (not butter), parmesan cheese, and a hint of tajin (chile lime seasoning powder)

That actually sounds pretty good, tbh.

(03-23-2022, 09:47 AM)Mikey Wrote: wifey gets the strangest looks when we eat at a restaurant and asks for honey on the side of her fried okra.

wife does honey on her chick-fil-a fries.  never understood that.

My BIL ate ketchup on biscuits and gravy.

(This post was last modified: 03-23-2022, 11:23 AM by HURRICANE!!!. Edited 1 time in total.)

(03-23-2022, 10:17 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: My BIL ate ketchup on biscuits and gravy.

perhaps change your username to homebiscuitwketchup.

i was actually expecting something like crock pot possum & racoon stew doused in jack daniels and jim beam

(03-23-2022, 11:19 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(03-23-2022, 10:17 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: My BIL ate ketchup on biscuits and gravy.

perhaps change your username to homebiscuitwketchup.

i was actually expecting something like crock pot possum & racoon stew doused in jack daniels and jim beam

What’s weird about that?

My 5 year old son thinks it's normal for pizza hut and taco bell to be one restaurant. He insists on putting taco sauce on his pan pizza and ketchup on his tacos.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

To me shrimp and grits was something I swore I would never eat because it just sounded unappealing and my dad, who was born and raised in Rhode Island, said it was an abomination. Lol. 

Several years ago a friend of mine pretty much double dog dared me to try her recipe. It's considered to be the best recipe among all of our friends so I gave it a shot and was pleasantly surprised. I fixed it several times a year until me and the hubby had to go low carb. 

Now shrimp tacos and fish tacos? Not gonna happen.

wife's fam does ketchup on shrimp, and I nearly retched the first time I encountered that.

We did have cocktail sauce or (gasp) tartar available, so this wasn't even a case of improvising in the abscence of a more conventional option.

(03-23-2022, 02:46 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: To me shrimp and grits was something I swore I would never eat because it just sounded unappealing and my dad, who was born and raised in Rhode Island, said it was an abomination. Lol. 

Several years ago a friend of mine pretty much double dog dared me to try her recipe. It's considered to be the best recipe among all of our friends so I gave it a shot and was pleasantly surprised. I fixed it several times a year until me and the hubby had to go low carb. 

Idk where the best places to go for a fish taco are but, the wife and I tried them (I think at Anastasia SP) one time. That may be another dish you may be pleasantly surprised by.

(03-23-2022, 02:46 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: To me shrimp and grits was something I swore I would never eat because it just sounded unappealing and my dad, who was born and raised in Rhode Island, said it was an abomination. Lol. 

I was the same way about brussels sprouts until a few years back. Grew up in a house where mom boiled or microwaved them until they were stanky mush, no way I'd go near em. They were served as part of a set menu at a dinner, lightly roasted with a chipotle ranch drizzle, and I was a new fan.

and that second bit? I guess the Korean-Mexican fusion place down the street is outta the question, then. I enjoyed bulgogi and tofu in gochujang with all the taco fixins, Never would have been something I'd have thought to pair together, but man it's tasty. After brussels sprouts opened my taste buds, I've grown a lot more adventurous in at least giving something a try before I dismiss it outright.

(This post was last modified: 03-23-2022, 04:28 PM by mikesez. Edited 2 times in total.)

(03-23-2022, 03:13 PM)Mikey Wrote:

I was the same way about brussels sprouts until a few years back. Grew up in a house where mom boiled or microwaved them until they were stanky mush, no way I'd go near em. They were served as part of a set menu at a dinner, lightly roasted with a chipotle ranch drizzle, and I was a new fan.

and that second bit? I guess the Korean-Mexican fusion place down the street is outta the question, then. I enjoyed bulgogi and tofu in gochujang with all the taco fixins, Never would have been something I'd have thought to pair together, but man it's tasty. After brussels sprouts opened my taste buds, I've grown a lot more adventurous in at least giving something a try before I dismiss it outright.

Almost every vegetable is better after you chop it, put it on a baking sheet, drizzle oil and salt, and bake at 425 until the pieces are black at the tips.  Usually takes 20 minutes.  Green beans.  Broccoli.  Cauliflower.  Carrots.  Brussels Sprouts. Potatoes. Parsnips. Garlic.  Don't rule out any vegetable on that list until you've tried it roasted.

Other veggies aren't as easy in the oven and you should stick to chopping them and sauteing them instead.  Onions, bell peppers, squash, greens, and mushrooms are in that group. The only green I would consider roasting is kale and it's pretty tricky.

Like this post for more healthy cooking tips from mikesez.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Oh, another one. Sauerkraut lasagna. While living in Germany I ate a lot of different food but this had to be the most unexpected. Like, literally unexpected. Evidently I read one of the words on the German menu wrong so I didn't get what I thought I ordered. I took a bite and had a visceral reaction. Lol. And in a small village restaurant in Germany you don't get a new order of food "on the house" because you accidentally ordered the wrong thing just like you don't get free refills of soda. You pay for everything.

So I ate my plate of food and by the last bite I almost enjoyed it.

(03-23-2022, 07:23 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Oh, another one. Sauerkraut lasagna. While living in Germany I ate a lot of different food but this had to be the most unexpected. Like, literally unexpected. Evidently I read one of the words on the German menu wrong so I didn't get what I thought I ordered. I took a bite and had a visceral reaction. Lol. And in a small village restaurant in Germany you don't get a new order of food "on the house" because you accidentally ordered the wrong thing just like you don't get free refills of soda. You pay for everything.

I dig sauerkraut, I dig lasagna, but not sure about blending them. Would still try it just to see if they figgered something out.

(03-24-2022, 08:52 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(03-23-2022, 07:23 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Oh, another one. Sauerkraut lasagna. While living in Germany I ate a lot of different food but this had to be the most unexpected. Like, literally unexpected. Evidently I read one of the words on the German menu wrong so I didn't get what I thought I ordered. I took a bite and had a visceral reaction. Lol. And in a small village restaurant in Germany you don't get a new order of food "on the house" because you accidentally ordered the wrong thing just like you don't get free refills of soda. You pay for everything.

I dig sauerkraut, I dig lasagna, but not sure about blending them. Would still try it just to see if they figgered something out.

It wasn't anything like American lasagna. I don't even remember what all was in it now since this was 20 years ago. It was explained to be sauerkraut lasagna, or that was their interpretation of it anyway.

Chocolate Ice Cream or a Milk Shake Or Frosty as a dipping sauce for...

chicken nuggets (preferably spicy).