Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Insightful Article on Evan Engram

(03-26-2022, 03:45 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(03-25-2022, 09:33 PM)Upper Wrote: I wish it gave some insights on how they are going to use him though. I still think he and Kirk (and Arnold) are oil and water.
Why do you describe Engram and Kirk as oil and water?

Why do you think they are incompatible?  TE and WR routes (including slot) often complement each other, whether it's rub routes or routes that clear coverage on the other side of the field or attacking safeties.  I'm not disagreeing with you, but I'd like you to elaborate.  Are there player types at TE and slot that are incompatible?  What sorts of players at those positions would complement each other?

As for the first part of your quote, while the article doesn't post pictures of the Jaguars playbook, it provides a little insight.  Here are some quotes from the article:

Quote:“The tight end position is a focal point. It always is. It has been with Doug’soffense as you mentioned,”

The Jaguars have never placed a huge emphasis on the YE position.  I think they will get more use out of Engram in the passing game (assuming he's healthy) than any TE we've had here in the last decade at least.

Quote:“He’s a runner, he’s got great speed, he’s smart, he can separate, he does well against safeties, obviously against linebacker matchups, even third quarters and things that you see on tape that he can do and have success with,” Pederson said the first day of the new league year earlier this month.
To me, this indicates there are looks and coverages they will use Engram to attack, and they feel comfortable using him on intermediate and longer routes.

Quote:“We could be in 11 personnel, we could be in 12 personnel, two tight ends, we could have three tight ends on the field at once and teams are going to have to make a decision to play that way to defend that,” Engram said when asked what Pederson’s biggest selling point to him was.

“I think just his knowledge and views of tight ends and putting them in positions to be successful and to kind of be that security blanket for the quarterback but also be an explosive piece. That’s how I view myself and then that’s the vision he has for myself in this offense.”
To me, this shows they will use personnel groupings and formations to help create mismatches for hin.

I agree Bullseye, There are 2 sides of the field, even if they "both ran routes in the slot area" they can be on the left and right side and attack different portions of the field. I really don't think they're oil & water. I also think that TE's in motion may be used as lead blockers on sweep type plays in lieu of a true fullback.

This is the most TE talent we've had since we had Marcedes Lewis & Julius Thomas. Thomas wasn't as bad as people remember he just wasn't worth the bloated contract we gave him. I also wonder what could have been if he hadn't broken his finger to start his career here ... or had a better QB than Bortles
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Messages In This Thread
Insightful Article on Evan Engram - by Bullseye - 03-25-2022, 07:35 PM
RE: Insightful Artice on Evan Engram - by Upper - 03-25-2022, 09:33 PM
RE: Insightful Artice on Evan Engram - by Kane - 12-18-2022, 12:47 PM
RE: Insightful Artice on Evan Engram - by Jag88 - 03-25-2022, 09:56 PM