Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Legalize?
Yes
No
I’m too high to decide
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
House set to take up marijuana legalization, soon..

“The fight to legalize marijuana at the federal level has been taken — once again — to the House floor to vote on as soon as next week.”

Legalize it!!

More- 

https://www.essence.com/news/marijuana-f...ill-house/
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Don't care.

I'm a law abiding kind of guy. All I can say is my weekends are about to get a little more interesting.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Marijuana is a medical miracle.. Yes.. Legalize it..
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

We can end the drug wars in one fell swoop. Legalize and empty the prisons of all on NVDOs.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

It's so ridiculous that it's currently illegal in most states. It's safer than alcohol and you don't have a hangover in the morning. I've been around several drunks that wanna hop in there car and go joyriding after drinking and when you try and stop them, they wanna fight. The stoners I've been with don't wanna get off the couch. They just wanna chill and eat Cheetos. They are much less stressful to be around.

(03-26-2022, 05:50 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: It's so ridiculous that it's currently illegal in most states. It's safer than alcohol and you don't have a hangover in the morning. I've been around several drunks that wanna hop in there car and go joyriding after drinking and when you try and stop them, they wanna fight. The stoners I've been with don't wanna get off the couch. They just wanna chill and eat Cheetos. They are much less stressful to be around.

Funyuns...
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Since nobody else is playing devil's advocate, I may as well throw out a word of caution.  Wouldn't it be prudent to first develop a reliable, scientifically proven method of testing for impairment and also establish a threshold, beyond which one could not legally engage in certain activities, like driving.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(03-26-2022, 10:30 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Since nobody else is playing devil's advocate, I may as well throw out a word of caution.  Wouldn't it be prudent to first develop a reliable, scientifically proven method of testing for impairment and also establish a threshold, beyond which one could not legally engage in certain activities, like driving.

I'll play.
It's up to each state to decide these issues.
In my opinion, if you are suspected of driving while high, they should test you for your blood THC level, and if it's above a certain level, you're high.
This is not how it works in most states, though.  Most states will accuse you of driving while high based on testing for the metabolites.  Metabolites of marijuana can persist in the body for weeks.  Most states also say zero is the only acceptable test level for blood THC.  I don't know what the acceptable level should be, but, unless the state actually wants to ban marijuana use in general, the level shouldn't be zero.
I think this is a battle that will have to play out in each state as marijuana becomes legal at the federal level.
Right now the state legislatures don't want to put it on the agenda, none of them want to come across as pro pot people.

The most important thing is to keep it from minors. Otherwise, don't know why this isn't legal.

To be clear, I don't care if it's legal or if you smoke. Several of my friends do. I do not myself partake, however. I did try it on a few occasions in my late teens and early twenties. Just wasn't my thing. It probably had a lot to do with my older brother who was heavily into it among other things and me watching his life spiral out of control. I'm indifferent about it, but asking me to be FOR it is probably a bit much even though many of my views align with libertarianism.

(03-26-2022, 10:30 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Since nobody else is playing devil's advocate, I may as well throw out a word of caution.  Wouldn't it be prudent to first develop a reliable, scientifically proven method of testing for impairment and also establish a threshold, beyond which one could not legally engage in certain activities, like driving.

I've got no problem with making harsher punishments for DUI's in exchange for legalizing marijuana. Like I say, I've very rarely heard of DUI's dealing with marijuana. It's normally due to alcohol and hard drugs. I know of at least 3 cases locally within the last few months where people have passed out behind the wheel at stop signs due to heroin overdoses. Punishments for DUI's probably need to be harsher since there are so many repeat offenders. Apparently what we have now, is not much of a deterrent.

Well that is one way of getting the stoner vote; that is if they are not too high to get off of the couch.
Original Season Ticket Holder - Retired  1995 - 2020

At some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening.

(This post was last modified: 03-28-2022, 03:17 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 3 times in total.)

Why are we passing laws that are just going to make us an even more unhealthy and stupid society? (And yes, I had my 'period' of pot use/abuse). Never mind the long term damage to brain cells (which studies support), but it's just more smoke in and damage to your lungs, which we learned from CoVid can open you up to a whole lot more opportunistic diseases. How many out there were screaming about a vaccine, and yet its cool to suck that sticky icky into your lungs? Why do I care? Because an Idiocracy is more prone to totalitarian conquest than a society that is at least partly awake. Stupid and stoned doesnt usually give a [BLEEP] about anything except thier next hit. Also, Increased costs to society: health insurance, auto insurance, security, etc. Of course, the Cheetos industry will go thru the roof, so just tax that to cover all the risk cost increases. And of course, its possible too that most idiot stoners will Darwin award themselves right out of this world anyway, which is fine as long as they don't take me or my loved ones with them. So, [BLEEP] yeah, light up. Don't Bogart that joint.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(This post was last modified: 03-28-2022, 04:40 PM by americus 2.0. Edited 1 time in total.)

Well the argument about smoking 'being hazardous to your health therefore you can't legalize pot' won't pass muster unless or until smoking cigarettes is ruled illegal. 

I'm in a similar situation as Jaguarmeister. I smoked it several times in my 20s and it wasn't my thing. OTOH my uncle smoked it until the day he committed suicide. He was also into pills and when he couldn't get some he would smoke himself stupid. Did the pot drive him to suicide? Or was it the pills? We don't know and never will. He had mental health issues, mostly depression, and I can't imagine pot being a good idea for someone who suffers from depression. 

While I'm not against it per se I'm not really for it either.

Alcohol kills far more people than any other drug in the world.

Your uncle definitely killed himself because of pills. Don't even question that. Not even for a second.

Pharmaceuticals are so much worse than marijuana. Ever hear those commercials that say, "we're not sure why this drug works, but it does" ..... sigh. Pills are awful.

Just in time for mid terms
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(03-28-2022, 04:46 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Alcohol kills far more people than any other drug in the world.

Your uncle definitely killed himself because of pills. Don't even question that. Not even for a second.

Pharmaceuticals are so much worse than marijuana. Ever hear those commercials that say, "we're not sure why this drug works, but it does" ..... sigh. Pills are awful.

Yeah, sure. Right up until you need one to stay alive.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(03-28-2022, 04:46 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Alcohol kills far more people than any other drug in the world.

We actually have no idea about that, because real, rigorous research on marijuana is illegal!
Last I heard, a university or pharma company can research the side effects of heroin, and cocaine, but not marijuana.

I don't really care one way or the other.  I smoked pot when I was a teenager (many years ago).  I don't do it now and have not in many years.

The argument about driving while under the influence is valid.  People driving stoned could be a hazzard.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.