Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Legalize?
Yes
No
I’m too high to decide
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
House set to take up marijuana legalization, soon..

(03-28-2022, 04:46 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Alcohol kills far more people than any other drug in the world.

Your uncle definitely killed himself because of pills. Don't even question that. Not even for a second.

Pharmaceuticals are so much worse than marijuana. Ever hear those commercials that say, "we're not sure why this drug works, but it does" ..... sigh. Pills are awful.

Not if the marijuana is laced with fentanyl or some of this other crazy stuff that's killing people. Yeah, straight up pot may not be as bad as pills but for someone with an addiction it doesn't matter. It's going to ruin their life. I've seen it happen more than once.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-28-2022, 06:06 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I don't really care one way or the other.  I smoked pot when I was a teenager (many years ago).  I don't do it now and have not in many years.

The argument about driving while under the influence is valid.  People driving stoned could be a hazzard.
(03-28-2022, 10:19 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(03-28-2022, 04:46 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Alcohol kills far more people than any other drug in the world.

Your uncle definitely killed himself because of pills. Don't even question that. Not even for a second.

Pharmaceuticals are so much worse than marijuana. Ever hear those commercials that say, "we're not sure why this drug works, but it does" ..... sigh. Pills are awful.

Not if the marijuana is laced with fentanyl or some of this other crazy stuff that's killing people. Yeah, straight up pot may not be as bad as pills but for someone with an addiction it doesn't matter. It's going to ruin their life. I've seen it happen more than once.
It will be a huge problem. There aren't any legal levels established to say you are actively under thr influence. There are usage levels that trigger a failed test but those aren't established levels for being impaired. So do you use a usage test and then include that if they fail? How do companies handle it? Alcohol is legal but if you are impaired you can be fired. I'm sure they can try to ban things as conditions of employment but will probably lose. Can you legally stop someone from using at work? Not sure on vape laws but if you allow that then you could probably get away with it.

Then you are going to hurt all the criminals out there who are selling the drugs. Are they going to be able to go legit and open a store front, insurance, taxes, etc or is some rich, old white guy going to get rich opening up the stores? More democrat goodness helping themselves.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

(03-28-2022, 11:12 PM)p_rushing Wrote:
(03-28-2022, 06:06 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: I don't really care one way or the other.  I smoked pot when I was a teenager (many years ago).  I don't do it now and have not in many years.

The argument about driving while under the influence is valid.  People driving stoned could be a hazzard.
(03-28-2022, 10:19 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Not if the marijuana is laced with fentanyl or some of this other crazy stuff that's killing people. Yeah, straight up pot may not be as bad as pills but for someone with an addiction it doesn't matter. It's going to ruin their life. I've seen it happen more than once.
It will be a huge problem. There aren't any legal levels established to say you are actively under thr influence. There are usage levels that trigger a failed test but those aren't established levels for being impaired. So do you use a usage test and then include that if they fail? How do companies handle it? Alcohol is legal but if you are impaired you can be fired. I'm sure they can try to ban things as conditions of employment but will probably lose. Can you legally stop someone from using at work? Not sure on vape laws but if you allow that then you could probably get away with it.

Then you are going to hurt all the criminals out there who are selling the drugs. Are they going to be able to go legit and open a store front, insurance, taxes, etc or is some rich, old white guy going to get rich opening up the stores? More democrat goodness helping themselves.

The criminals will still be out there selling because most dealers are not going to be able to afford all the costs/headaches of regulations, so many will just say screw it and continue to operate as they always have. And since its now 'legal', there will be less enforcement of the industry in general, except for the tax and fee collection, which will be heavily enforced. None of which will affect the illegal street dealer much. So the govt gets a revenue stream, but its offset by the cost of regulation and enforcement. And still not everyone operates above board. Look at Calif, Oregon and Colorado. It's not shaping up as was hoped.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Doesn't matter to me. I can't use it due to Company Policy so I need to wait a while until I can try it again --- last time was 30 years ago. Wouldn't mind taking a few gummies and watching Apocalypse Now or Clockwork Orange again.

The argument about driving while under the influence is valid.  People driving stoned could be a hazard.

Definitely a huge hazard.  People eat those laced gummies as if they were candy.  At least when you drink 12 beers to do 10 shots you're usually wasted enough to know you can't drive.

(This post was last modified: 03-29-2022, 09:50 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(03-28-2022, 12:56 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Why are we passing laws that are just going to make us an even more unhealthy and stupid society?  (And yes, I had my 'period' of pot use/abuse).  Never mind the long term damage to brain cells (which studies support), but it's just more smoke in and damage to your lungs, which we learned from CoVid can open you up to a whole lot more opportunistic diseases.  How many out there were screaming about a vaccine, and yet its cool to suck that sticky icky into your lungs?  Why do I care?  Because an Idiocracy is more prone to totalitarian conquest than a society that is at least partly awake. Stupid and stoned doesnt usually give a [BLEEP] about anything except thier next hit. Also, Increased costs to society: health insurance, auto insurance, security, etc.  Of course, the Cheetos industry will go thru the roof, so just tax that to cover all the risk cost increases.  And of course, its possible too that most idiot stoners will Darwin award themselves right out of this world anyway, which is fine as long as they don't take me or my loved ones with them.  So, [BLEEP] yeah, light up.  Don't Bogart that joint.

So I guess you are saying Alcohol, unhealthy foods and any tobacco products should be outlawed as well, because there is absolutely no difference between weed and those other things. They are all vices. People that want weed legalized are simply pointing out that there is a double standard between cannabis and and any other vice. It should be either all or nothing.

(03-28-2022, 10:19 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote:

If it's legalized though, it can be regulated. It will be far safer and you wouldn't have to worry about it being laced with Fentanyl or PCP or any other foreign substance.

(This post was last modified: 03-29-2022, 09:59 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(03-28-2022, 11:38 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(03-28-2022, 11:12 PM)p_rushing Wrote: It will be a huge problem. There aren't any legal levels established to say you are actively under thr influence. There are usage levels that trigger a failed test but those aren't established levels for being impaired. So do you use a usage test and then include that if they fail? How do companies handle it? Alcohol is legal but if you are impaired you can be fired. I'm sure they can try to ban things as conditions of employment but will probably lose. Can you legally stop someone from using at work? Not sure on vape laws but if you allow that then you could probably get away with it.

The criminals will still be out there selling because most dealers are not going to be able to afford all the costs/headaches of regulations, so many will just say screw it and continue to operate as they always have.  And since its now 'legal', there will be less enforcement of the industry in general, except for the tax and fee collection, which will be heavily enforced.  None of which will affect the illegal street dealer much.  So the govt gets a revenue stream, but its offset by the cost of regulation and enforcement.  And still not everyone operates above board.  Look at Calif, Oregon and Colorado.  It's not shaping up as was hoped.

Then you make the punishments much higher for those selling it illegally. For every action there has to be a reaction. When alcohol was legalized, you still weren't able to sell illegal moonshine and you still couldn't drive drunk. If the government legalizes marijuana, I would endorse harsher punishments for DUI and selling it illegally on the black market. Make people think twice about trying to "shirk" the laws. With a little give, there should also be a little take to keep things balanced.

(03-29-2022, 09:07 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

The argument about driving while under the influence is valid.  People driving stoned could be a hazard.

Definitely a huge hazard.  People eat those laced gummies as if they were candy.  At least when you drink 12 beers to do 10 shots you're usually wasted enough to know you can't drive.

Unfortunately, that isn't true of everyone. I've been around a few morons who get to a drunken state where they think the "high" makes them a better driver and they are ready to fight anyone who tries to take their keys.

A lot of it is Government propaganda and lies.

I've driven in literally hundreds of situations where everyone in the car is stoned out of their minds and the only trouble we ever got into was getting way too much taco bell. If anything you're more careful while high.. while drunk you're just a moron.

(This post was last modified: 03-29-2022, 11:51 AM by Sneakers. Edited 1 time in total. Edit Reason: multiple entries )

(03-29-2022, 09:57 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-28-2022, 11:38 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: The criminals will still be out there selling because most dealers are not going to be able to afford all the costs/headaches of regulations, so many will just say screw it and continue to operate as they always have.  And since its now 'legal', there will be less enforcement of the industry in general, except for the tax and fee collection, which will be heavily enforced.  None of which will affect the illegal street dealer much.  So the govt gets a revenue stream, but its offset by the cost of regulation and enforcement.  And still not everyone operates above board.  Look at Calif, Oregon and Colorado.  It's not shaping up as was hoped.

Then you make the punishments much higher for those selling it illegally. For every action there has to be a reaction. When alcohol was legalized, you still weren't able to sell illegal moonshine and you still couldn't drive drunk. If the government legalizes marijuana, I would endorse harsher punishments for DUI and selling it illegally on the black market. Make people think twice about trying to "shirk" the laws. With a little give, there should also be a little take to keep things balanced.

The Left doesn't want harsher penalties for ANYTHING!  What was the illegal sale of a controlled substance will become an "unlicensed" sale of an over the counter stimulant, likely with a reduced punishment.  

Like NJC said, the criminals will still be out there, even if not selling.  Dealing drugs is quick easy cash, but if that opportunity goes away, they'll turn to something else.  

(03-28-2022, 11:38 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: The criminals will still be out there selling because most dealers are not going to be able to afford all the costs/headaches of regulations, so many will just say screw it and continue to operate as they always have.  And since its now 'legal', there will be less enforcement of the industry in general, except for the tax and fee collection, which will be heavily enforced.  None of which will affect the illegal street dealer much.  So the govt gets a revenue stream, but its offset by the cost of regulation and enforcement.  And still not everyone operates above board.  Look at Calif, Oregon and Colorado.  It's not shaping up as was hoped.

The Left doesn't want harsher penalties for ANYTHING!  What was the illegal sale of a controlled substance will become an "unlicensed" sale of an over the counter stimulant, likely with a reduced punishment.  

Like NJC said, the criminals will still be out there, even if not selling.  Dealing drugs is quick easy cash, but if that opportunity goes away, they'll turn to something else.  

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(03-29-2022, 10:29 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: A lot of it is Government propaganda and lies.

I've driven in literally hundreds of situations where everyone in the car is stoned out of their minds and the only trouble we ever got into was getting way too much taco bell. If anything you're more careful while high.. while drunk you're just a moron.

I agree, I drive just fine high. I never drink and drive, but pot? lol, I drive normally.
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

I partook in my share of the chronic back in my late teens/early 20s. On and off since then, mostly off. Last year I got a medical marijuana card and got to sample some of what they produce today and it's quite a bit a different from weed way back when. Much more potent, much less mellow THC/CBD balance. The strains are designed to maximize THC I guess since that's what seems to sell. I have a problem with people that characterize weed as safe or nearly safe. There are risks with any kind of substance. My position on it is that it should remain restricted until they can develop a fair/reliable test to limit or prevent driving under the influence. I have friends that believe they can drive while high but they are taking a risk because their reactions are compromised whether they believe it or not.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(03-30-2022, 05:22 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: I partook in my share of the chronic back in my late teens/early 20s. On and off since then, mostly off. Last year I got a medical marijuana card and got to sample some of what they produce today and it's quite a bit a different from weed way back when. Much more potent, much less mellow THC/CBD balance. The strains are designed to maximize THC I guess since that's what seems to sell. I have a problem with people that characterize weed as safe or nearly safe. There are risks with any kind of substance. My position on it is that it should remain restricted until they can develop a fair/reliable test to limit or prevent driving under the influence. I have friends that believe they can drive while high but they are taking a risk because their reactions are compromised whether they believe it or not.

The simple fact that they try demonstrates that more than just their reactions are compromised, they're judgement is also impaired.

I just don't like how it affects brain development in those under 21. Or is it 24... I can't remember.

(This post was last modified: 03-31-2022, 11:07 AM by NewJagsCity. Edited 4 times in total.)

(03-29-2022, 09:45 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(03-28-2022, 12:56 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Why are we passing laws that are just going to make us an even more unhealthy and stupid society?  (And yes, I had my 'period' of pot use/abuse).  Never mind the long term damage to brain cells (which studies support), but it's just more smoke in and damage to your lungs, which we learned from CoVid can open you up to a whole lot more opportunistic diseases.  How many out there were screaming about a vaccine, and yet its cool to suck that sticky icky into your lungs?  Why do I care?  Because an Idiocracy is more prone to totalitarian conquest than a society that is at least partly awake. Stupid and stoned doesnt usually give a [BLEEP] about anything except thier next hit. Also, Increased costs to society: health insurance, auto insurance, security, etc.  Of course, the Cheetos industry will go thru the roof, so just tax that to cover all the risk cost increases.  And of course, its possible too that most idiot stoners will Darwin award themselves right out of this world anyway, which is fine as long as they don't take me or my loved ones with them.  So, [BLEEP] yeah, light up.  Don't Bogart that joint.

So I guess you are saying Alcohol, unhealthy foods and any tobacco products should be outlawed as well, because there is absolutely no difference between weed and those other things. They are all vices. People that want weed legalized are simply pointing out that there is a double standard between cannabis and and any other vice. It should be either all or nothing.

(03-28-2022, 10:19 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Not if the marijuana is laced with fentanyl or some of this other crazy stuff that's killing people. Yeah, straight up pot may not be as bad as pills but for someone with an addiction it doesn't matter. It's going to ruin their life. I've seen it happen more than once.

If it's legalized though, it can be regulated. It will be far safer and you wouldn't have to worry about it being laced with Fentanyl or PCP or any other foreign substance.

Can't remember the last time I threw down a jumbo bag of Doritos or 4 Big Macs and then went out and drove recklessly. Unless I was pooping my pants at the time due to intestinal disturbance and was paying more attention to keeping the leakage under control than i was to the traffic. However, smoke in your lungs is never a good thing. If is was, then we'd all still be using wood stoves and letting that smoke just fill the house after turning off the smoke alarms. I'm pretty sure most people would label that unhealthy right from the get-go. Also, Big Macs and Doritos don't usually make you stupider over time, while average/excessive pot use has been shown to contribute to cognitive decline. In a society that currently has a president as the poster child for dementia, why would we legalize a substance that would contribute to giving us more of that? Our society has already been dumbed down enough, we now trail the world in most academic rankings and are trending worse, not better. A healthier and smarter society will cost each of us less money in insurance premiums, gov funded hospital care (taxes), and will allow us to live longer and be able to contribute more to our families and societies over a longer period of time. I'm not advocating legislating health, our gov/insurance companies do enough of that already. But why introduce something that won't improve us over the long run?
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(03-29-2022, 09:45 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

(03-28-2022, 10:19 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Not if the marijuana is laced with fentanyl or some of this other crazy stuff that's killing people. Yeah, straight up pot may not be as bad as pills but for someone with an addiction it doesn't matter. It's going to ruin their life. I've seen it happen more than once.

Whether unhealthy or not food is food and necessary to sustain life. No one needs alcohol, tobacco or pot to sustain life. Anyone who says that are addicts plain and simple. 

The use/necessity of medicinal marijuana is not the same as recreational marijuana IMO. That's a completely different conversation. 

Also, to think legalized marijuana will shut down the illegal sale of it is like saying the legal sale of firearms has any effect on the illegal sale of them. There will always be a black market or criminal underground for drugs and firearms. Even if prostitution were to be made legal there would still be folks doing it "under the table" so to speak.

(03-31-2022, 08:43 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(03-29-2022, 09:45 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: So I guess you are saying Alcohol, unhealthy foods and any tobacco products should be outlawed as well, because there is absolutely no difference between weed and those other things. They are all vices. People that want weed legalized are simply pointing out that there is a double standard between cannabis and and any other vice. It should be either all or nothing.

Whether unhealthy or not food is food and necessary to sustain life. No one needs alcohol, tobacco or pot to sustain life. Anyone who says that are addicts plain and simple. 

The use/necessity of medicinal marijuana is not the same as recreational marijuana IMO. That's a completely different conversation. 

Also, to think legalized marijuana will shut down the illegal sale of it is like saying the legal sale of firearms has any effect on the illegal sale of them. There will always be a black market or criminal underground for drugs and firearms. Even if prostitution were to be made legal there would still be folks doing it "under the table" so to speak.

'Under the table' can be a little cramped and uncomfortable, but I get your point.

(03-29-2022, 01:42 PM)Ronster Wrote:
(03-29-2022, 10:29 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: A lot of it is Government propaganda and lies.

I agree, I drive just fine high. I never drink and drive, but pot? lol, I drive normally.

The 5th Amendment seems applicable here....

(03-29-2022, 01:42 PM)Ronster Wrote:

What test have you ever utilized to support this belief?

(03-31-2022, 12:19 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(03-29-2022, 01:42 PM)Ronster Wrote: I agree, I drive just fine high. I never drink and drive, but pot? lol, I drive normally.

What test have you ever utilized to support this belief?

Wow.

Hey just because you're a sheep that needs to be told what to do and how to act based on arbitrary tests done on people that are totally different from you......

(03-30-2022, 07:14 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(03-30-2022, 05:22 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: I partook in my share of the chronic back in my late teens/early 20s. On and off since then, mostly off. Last year I got a medical marijuana card and got to sample some of what they produce today and it's quite a bit a different from weed way back when. Much more potent, much less mellow THC/CBD balance. The strains are designed to maximize THC I guess since that's what seems to sell. I have a problem with people that characterize weed as safe or nearly safe. There are risks with any kind of substance. My position on it is that it should remain restricted until they can develop a fair/reliable test to limit or prevent driving under the influence. I have friends that believe they can drive while high but they are taking a risk because their reactions are compromised whether they believe it or not.

The simple fact that they try demonstrates that more than just their reactions are compromised, they're judgement is also impaired.

Yep, no doubt.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.