Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bruce Arians retiring and moving in the front office

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2022, 02:35 AM by ChrisJagBoy. Edited 2 times in total.)

(04-02-2022, 06:33 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-02-2022, 04:34 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Okay first off. "His offense was top 10 with winston"

top 10 in what, yards? Of course it was.. all they did that year was chuck it deep and we got a 30 td 30 int QB. Maybe by rankings that offense was top 10, but realisticly it was bottom of the barrel. And btw, they had two WRs who would be a #1 on about 28 of the 32 teams in the league.
First off, under Leftwich, the 2019 Tampa team was 1st in yards passing and 3rd in passing TDs, and the team was 3rd in scoring, averaging 28.6 PPG.  If all they did was chuck it deep, you'd think opposing defenses would have caught up and adjusted. Either they adjusted and BL adjusted to make the offense continue to be effective, or perhaps there was more to that Tampa offense than just chucking it deep.  Looking at their rankings, they were 14th in the league in rushing attempts and 15th in rushing TDs.  But your point about the WRs being so good (taking that at face value) begs the question:  Don't smart coaches play to the strengths of their teams?  If the Bucs had two WRs that dominant, why wouldn't they utilize them frequently? Indeed, Leftwich's two years with Brady, featured an offense that ranked bear the very bottom in rushing attempts.   Finally, how in the world does an offense rank 1st in passing yards, 3rd in passing TDs and 3rd in scoring, averaging more than 28 ppg realistically be bottom of the barrel?!?

Quote:I'm actually happy Byron didn't get the Bucs job, because he would have once again been riding a wave of success that was coming with or without him with Tom Brady. I hope he gets a shot somewhere next year that dosen't have the best player in league history starting a QB so I can laugh in everyones face who tells me I'm wrong about everything I say.
(emphasis added)

So if I am understanding you, he had the best player in league history starting at QB throwing to two WRs who could start at the #1 WR spot for  about 28 out of 32 teams.  At the very least, he would be expected to have a productive offense and at least contend for Super Bowls, right?
Well, Leftiwch won the Super Bowl his first year with Brady, and lost in the last seconds after scoring 27 points to a Rams team what won the Super Bowl the next year.  In 2020, the Bucs ranked 3rd in scoring with Brady, and the nexr year, they ranked 2nd.  By all reasonable and objective measures, he met the expectations.  What's the problem?!?  There is nothing to indicate he was some anchor weighing the offense down.

As for people telling you you are wrong, your persuasiveness might be bolstered if you offered takes supported by objective fact and logical consistency.  You talk about Leftwich's lack of head coach qualifications, but don't address the disparity in experience as a player and coordinator between Leftwich and the other coaches I named, nor did you address the disparity in results between Leftiwch and the other coaches I named.  For that matter, not once did you show any facts (as opposed to opinion) supporting your claim that his offense's success was some how in spite of him.

Quote:Oh wait, that's happened on here more times than I can count and it's just ignored so why even bother lmao. We picked the best HC Candidate that was available to us in Pederson. Now watch the jaguars become relevant again over the next few years.. and then go back to the HC vacancy thread when I said my #1 was Pederson prior to him even being rumored to us so I can laugh in the face of my haters on this board LOL

First, we agree on Pederson.  I have been an advocate for Pederson since he was fired by the Eagles.  There are objective and verifiable reasons for my advocacy for Pederson.  First...he coached a team to a Super bowl win!  Secondly, he has a history of successfully getting the most out of QBs, including developing and utilizing the TE position. Furthermore, he had head coaching experience, while Leftwich did not.  Given his NFL playing and head coaching experience, his Super Bowl win, and hisstory of developing QBs, he was the ideal choice for a team with a young franchise signal caller who was coached by an unmitigated disaster of a coach who had no NFL experience whatsoever.  Again, those are objective, readily verifiable facts.

However, saying that Leftwich was not the best choice for us at this time is far different from saying Leftiwch has shown nothing at all to indicate he is head coaching material, which is what you have asserted, wholly unsupported by objective fact or logic or their comparative resumes.

Bit of friendly advice:  This board is loaded with smart, knowledgeable, passionate and opinionated fans who are capable of handing you your [BLEEP] in a given debate.  I won't list anyone in particular because it wouldn't necessarily do justice to the others who exemplify this, but trust me when I tell you I've been on the receiving end of those plenty of times.  As a Jaguars fan you have every right to your opinion like anyone else but using that right alone does not make you persuasive.  Even if we ultimately disagree with you, we'll appreciate efforts to support your assertions with fact and logic.  I would encourage you to study the posting styles of some of the posters.  You'll identify those who are thorough, and hopefully you will emulate them.

These smart, knowledgeable, passionate and opinionated fans have consistently for years, told me i'm wrong.. and for years, they have been wrong. Dating back to 2014 when I said hours after the draft that I didn't see the talent in Bortles, to the previous year when I said Trevor Lawrence did not look like a generational talent (prior to us even having the 1st pick).....or how about when I said Patrick Mahomes was the best QB in the '17 class, and was told by most of these knowledgeable fans that Mitch Trubiski was a "safer bet". 

It dosen't matter. People gon hate no matter whos right. Overall it dosen't matter anyways, I come to this board to chat about the jaguars from time to time it's not my job or my life like it is for some people here. 

I would say we should come back to this thread whenever Byron gets his first HC gig to see if I was right again, but let's be honest.. No one will remember.

Oh and also to your first point about Byron.. yeah he won with Brady, tell me what he did prior to Brady.

Messages In This Thread
Jagsordie - by JagsorDie - 03-31-2022, 06:38 AM
RE: Bruce Arians retiring and moving in the front office - by ChrisJagBoy - 04-03-2022, 02:32 AM