Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Will Smith and Chris Rock Slap Around the World At Oscars Heard

(03-30-2022, 04:52 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(03-29-2022, 02:16 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Woke culture has killed comedy.  Tho that's not the exact issue here, it kind of is, since wokeness invariably creates thinner skinned people with easier hurt feelings.  In this case a line may have been crossed, tho based on the pic earlier in this thread it looks like the baldness is a choice and not necessarily the result of her 'disease' . Nevertheless, getting attacked is what comedians can expect moving forward.  It's the next logical step from being assaulted on social media for hurting someone's feelings with their comedy.  I think the only popular comedians from the past that might be able to navigate these times would be George Carlin, Steve Martin, Richard Pryor and maybe Lenny Bruce; tho he wouldn't have the same shock value today.  Oh, and Sam Kinison, cause he wouldn't give a [BLEEP], he would just buzzsaw thru all the sociopolitical crap and just burn it down.  Wish he was still here to make it happen.  It would be a thing of beauty.

So you clearly don't know [BLEEP] about the disease.. I know plenty of people with alopecia and for women? It's like having breast cancer. Hair is how women define themselves.

If anyone decided to make a joke about my wife's unavoidable disease? [BLEEP]'s getting knocked out. No Doubt, No hesitation. Even if a [BLEEP] called her a [BLEEP] - [BLEEP] will be eating through a straw cause his jaw is getting broken.

And yes, this is exactly how men should react to the love of their life being hurt. It just is. It's how my father taught me - and I'm sad more Americans aren't like that anymore.

JOKESABOUTHAiRLOSSDeServeVILOenCeHERpDeRPGRRRRRR

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(03-29-2022, 02:16 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Woke culture has killed comedy.  Tho that's not the exact issue here, it kind of is, since wokeness invariably creates thinner skinned people with easier hurt feelings.  In this case a line may have been crossed, tho based on the pic earlier in this thread it looks like the baldness is a choice and not necessarily the result of her 'disease' . Nevertheless, getting attacked is what comedians can expect moving forward.  It's the next logical step from being assaulted on social media for hurting someone's feelings with their comedy.  I think the only popular comedians from the past that might be able to navigate these times would be George Carlin, Steve Martin, Richard Pryor and maybe Lenny Bruce; tho he wouldn't have the same shock value today.  Oh, and Sam Kinison, cause he wouldn't give a [BLEEP], he would just buzzsaw thru all the sociopolitical crap and just burn it down.  Wish he was still here to make it happen.  It would be a thing of beauty.

So you clearly don't know [BLEEP] about the disease.. I know plenty of people with alopecia and for women? It's like having breast cancer. Hair is how women define themselves.

If anyone decided to make a joke about my wife's unavoidable disease? [BLEEP]'s getting knocked out. No Doubt, No hesitation. Even if a [BLEEP] called her a [BLEEP] - [BLEEP] will be eating through a straw cause his jaw is getting broken.

And yes, this is exactly how men should react to the love of their life being hurt. It just is. It's how my father taught me - and I'm sad more Americans aren't like that anymore.

[Image: neil-degrasse-tyson-we-got-a-%5BBLEEP%5D-over-here.gif]
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I'm sad your dad taught you to assault people over a joke. I was taught to never throw the first punch, but if someone swings on me, I should reign hell upon them. In this case, it should've been resolved after the show with a discussion. Just like my sister tells my nephew, "use your words."

(This post was last modified: 03-31-2022, 08:56 AM by NewJagsCity. Edited 13 times in total.)

First of all,

1) Alopecia is not 'like breast cancer'. Not even close. You don't die from this disease, unless you kill yourself because you can't handle what it does to your hair. You don't go thru agonizing bouts of chemo and radiation. And if hair is how women 'define' themselves, then with all due respect maybe you should rethink your definition of women.

2) Jada Pinkett Smith has plenty of money to help mitigate this disease. Steroid injections can help. Hair implants can help. Hairpieces can cover the effects. All of which she has more than enough money for. Her daughter Willow convinced to go the bald route, cause she thought it 'looked cool'. Most women may not have the money for these options, and go bald out of necessity. Pinkett Smith chose to go bald.

3) Will Smith laughed at the joke at rehearsal and then during the live broadcast. This was not a joke that came out of the blue unexpectedly. Didn't he know his wife well enough to know that the joke would be hurtful? If he truly had a problem with the joke, then he should have met with Rock privately after the rehearsal and informed him of his wife's condition and that she was sensitive about it. Clearly, none of this appears to have happened.

4) I hear lot of people applauding Smith for upholding her 'honor'. I wonder if he felt the same when he had to sit and listen to her public discussion of her infidelity during one of her Red Table Talks. As Sean Magee (Robin Williams) said in Good Will Hunting, 'I don't see a lot of honor in that, Will'. Maybe Smith subconsciously wanted to see Rock stick it to his brazenly unfaithful wife, tho I speculate here, or maybe she's got the goods on him as well, which is why he quickly changed his tune from a laugh to outrage to keep Mama happy. Who knows. I guess nothing in that marriage is off limits or out of bounds....except jokes. "Keep my wife's name out of your [BLEEP] mouth". LOL. Maybe she should work on keeping other things out of her mouth.

5) It was particularly interesting that there was much crying and moaning about 'toxic masculinity' during much of the broadcast by many of the winners right up to the infamous slap. Then the same bunch of people erupt in thunderous applause in support of Smith during his acceptance speech, even after seeing the very thing they are denouncing unfold right in front of them. I guess when it comes down to it, they don't practice what they preach, although we already knew this. Rules for Thee but Not for Me. Hypocrites all.

6) While certainly tearful during his acceptance speech, that seemed to have more to do with him potentially being stripped of his Oscar and being banned from the Academy than it did with actually being sorry for his actions. He was probably already calculating the potential fallout in his head. He certainly got over his sadness and sorrow quickly enough, as everyone could see by his behaviour at the after parties. And as of today, per Tony Rock, Smith still hasn't reached out to his brother to apologize.

I'll just summarize by saying that Rock handled it like a pro, while Smith behaved like a thug. If anything was learned from this, it's that Chris Rock can take a punch (slap); Will Smith can't take a joke.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

All of this^^^ except I’d say it was Jada that can’t take a joke…
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

I shaved my head down with a #2 guard once when living in Germany. It was weird with people staring and thinking I had cancer or something. The people who stared and made a big deal? Not the Germans because they didn't care. Americans can be some of the most judgmental people and they were the ones who made a thing out of it. I'm like- mind your own business.

Jada and Will have put their lives out there and people are going to judge them or use it against them. Or make a joke at an awards ceremony. Whether it's right or not isn't the issue. If you let people know your business it gives them things to gossip and speculate about. No one needs to know about her affair, their open marriage, his reaction to a fly committing suicide on someone's windshield. Whatever. Keep your mouth shut or say "no comment" and let it be.

I don't feel bad for either one of them.

And if I had a disorder or disease and someone made a snide comment about it I'd likely let it go. I was straight up bullied while growing up because I was one of the tallest girls in my school and I was skinny. Back when being that skinny just wasn't "attractive". I wore the big 80s glasses and had the 80's hair without even trying thanks to my curly hair. I definitely had to grow into my looks. There's not much people could say to me that would bother me enough to do violence on them but if they did- I would do the violence, not my husband. I stand up for myself.

If Chris Rock was 6'4" and weighed 230 lbs, does anyone think Will Smith would have hit him? Yeah, it looks like Will Smith let his emotions get the best of him, but I guarantee you, anyone who does something like that makes a mental calculation about what they think the other guy is going to do. It's easy to get up and sucker-punch a guy who's much smaller than you are. That's what he did.

(04-01-2022, 10:34 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: If Chris Rock was 6'4" and weighed 230 lbs, does anyone think Will Smith would have hit him?  Yeah, it looks like Will Smith let his emotions get the best of him, but I guarantee you, anyone who does something like that makes a mental calculation about what they think the other guy is going to do.  It's easy to get up and sucker-punch a guy who's much smaller than you are.  That's what he did.

Meh...

Yes and no.

I've beaten men twice my size and gotten my [BLEEP] kicked by guys half my size.

It all depends on the individual. But when you're motivated by love - and I'm not saying he was, who knows - you do dumb [BLEEP] and don't think.

(04-01-2022, 10:44 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(04-01-2022, 10:34 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: If Chris Rock was 6'4" and weighed 230 lbs, does anyone think Will Smith would have hit him?  Yeah, it looks like Will Smith let his emotions get the best of him, but I guarantee you, anyone who does something like that makes a mental calculation about what they think the other guy is going to do.  It's easy to get up and sucker-punch a guy who's much smaller than you are.  That's what he did.

Meh...

Yes and no.

I've beaten men twice my size and gotten my [BLEEP] kicked by guys half my size.

It all depends on the individual. But when you're motivated by love - and I'm not saying he was, who knows - you do dumb [BLEEP] and don't think.

What you are talking about is not rational.  Why are you engaging in physical combat with other people?

(04-01-2022, 10:47 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-01-2022, 10:44 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Meh...

Yes and no.

What you are talking about is not rational.  Why are you engaging in physical combat with other people?

Well I don't anymore, I have kids and a family - but I waited until 30 to have those. And I don't put myself in those kinds of situations anymore... but, you can't control others and right now, at a restaurant, or in a parking lot, if someone insulted my wife or significant other - I'll probably hit them, consequences be damned.

My 20s were filled with a lot of stupid decisions - normally I never cared what anyone said to me - but if they insulted someone close to me, all bets seemed to be off.

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2022, 11:18 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-01-2022, 10:54 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(04-01-2022, 10:47 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: What you are talking about is not rational.  Why are you engaging in physical combat with other people?

Well I don't anymore, I have kids and a family - but I waited until 30 to have those. And I don't put myself in those kinds of situations anymore... but, you can't control others and right now, at a restaurant, or in a parking lot, if someone insulted my wife or significant other - I'll probably hit them, consequences be damned.

My 20s were filled with a lot of stupid decisions - normally I never cared what anyone said to me - but if they insulted someone close to me, all bets seemed to be off.

I will concede that someone with that type of anger management problem might not make a rational calculation based on the size of the person he is about to engage in physical combat.  Or even whether that other person is armed and likely to shoot him. 

But I would still bet that Will Smith would not have hit Chris Rock if Chris Rock was much more physically imposing than he is.

(This post was last modified: 04-01-2022, 11:32 AM by TrivialPursuit. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-01-2022, 11:06 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(04-01-2022, 10:54 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Well I don't anymore, I have kids and a family - but I waited until 30 to have those. And I don't put myself in those kinds of situations anymore... but, you can't control others and right now, at a restaurant, or in a parking lot, if someone insulted my wife or significant other - I'll probably hit them, consequences be damned.

I will concede that someone with that type of anger management problem might not make a rational calculation based on the size of the person he is about to engage in physical combat.  Or even whether that other person is armed and likely to shoot him. 

But I would still bet that Will Smith would not have hit Chris Rock if Chris Rock was much more physically imposing than he is.

Yea, probably...

Because he seemed to laugh until he saw his wife's reaction - then he lost it.

So maybe that speaks actually more to him than the opposite - if he had lost it without even glancing at his wife's reaction. It was Jada's reaction that set him off, not Chris Rock's actual comment.

EDIT: So basically, like with most things, he was probably more mad at himself than he was at Chris Rock. So he lashed out.

He resigned from the academy.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/01/entertain...index.html
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

LMAO

Errrr ma gawd I’m beat the [BLEEP] out of a hypothetical person I made up for my argument soo bad… 

Lol

Dude wouldn’t have set foot on stage if he thought the guy was going to swing back. What he pulled was a punk [BLEEP] move and nothing more. You can pop off all you want on the internet but it doesn’t prove your point any more.

Since I couldn't find a thread about last week's Oscars. Fallout as Will Smith is resigning from the Oscars over slap. At first people thought it was staged as both are seemingly good friends. But still Chris Rock did not press any charges as everybody is on his side. And his comedy shows are now skyrocketing in prices. And people say Smith needs to go on the apology tour there. What do you all think?!
Ready for May Day and May Flowers!

It’s hiding a bit.  But it’s been discussed here.  

https://www.duvalpride.com/showthread.php?tid=36518

Hopefully I did that right.  

But to answer your question, I feel both Smiths are morons.

Oh sorry. To the mods, could you merge this. Appreciate it!
Ready for May Day and May Flowers!

(04-02-2022, 03:50 PM)Passepartout Wrote: Since I couldn't find a thread about last week's Oscars. Fallout as Will Smith is resigning from the Oscars over slap. At first people thought it was staged as both are seemingly good friends. But still Chris Rock did not press any charges as everybody is on his side. And his comedy shows are now skyrocketing in prices. And people say Smith needs to go on the apology tour there. What do you all think?!

He's already apologizing in an effort to cover his butt.  His true character has been revealed and now he needs to be charged with battery.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(04-02-2022, 06:17 PM)Passepartout Wrote: Oh sorry. To the mods, could you merge this. Appreciate it!

Don’t worry about it bro.  It’s somehow a bit obscure.  And I’m not sure why it wasn’t posted in this section to begin with.  I guess because a [BLEEP] sports analyst spoke of it.  Idk.  Don’t care. Didn’t fully read the OP but all the comments were on the topic.

[Image: CN.jpg]
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!