Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Frank Gore retires

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2022, 10:09 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

I always liked Gore early in his career but never did I think he would retire 3rd All Time in rushing.  A long great career and likely  HOF

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/151061599...8_XT_VcKKg

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'd love to see a stat on second half vs. first half YPC for the top 100 all-time backs.

Gore was one of those guys (along with a few of his OLs) that wore down defenses and took advantage of their waning stamina later in games. I have a hunch he would rank high on that list if it existed. (high YPC numbers in 3rd and 4th q)

I don't say that to diminish his abilities. Always liked the guy and how he played. Hell of a long career.

(04-03-2022, 10:17 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'd love to see a stat on second half vs. first half YPC for the top 100 all-time backs.

Gore was one of those guys (along with a few of his OLs) that wore down defenses and took advantage of their waning stamina later in games. I have a hunch he would rank high on that list if it existed. (high YPC numbers in 3rd and 4th q)

I don't say that to diminish his abilities. Always liked the guy and how he played. Hell of a long career.

Derrick Henry is probably the best at that along with Bettis

(04-03-2022, 10:19 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-03-2022, 10:17 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: I'd love to see a stat on second half vs. first half YPC for the top 100 all-time backs.

Derrick Henry is probably the best at that along with Bettis

Bettis is likely high on that list. 

Henry?  Nah.

Not enough games under his belt employing that strategy. 
While the tacks have done this with him at times, it hasn't been their go-to gameplan and he hasn't been around that long in comparison. 
4 seasons with 200+ touches compared to Gore's 13 seasons with 200+.

(04-03-2022, 10:29 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-03-2022, 10:19 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Derrick Henry is probably the best at that along with Bettis

Henry?  Nah.

While the tacks have done this with him at times, it hasn't been their go-to gameplan and he hasn't been around that long in comparison. 
You're gonna be hard pressed to find many with 13 seasons with 200+ seasons if thats what you are looking at, not many RBs even play 13 years.  Henry has had 2 300 + touch seasons to Gores 1.  6 seasons have been enough for me to see that Henry just gets stronger and better as the game goes on and punishes defenses and one of the best ever in that aspect

(04-03-2022, 11:02 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(04-03-2022, 10:29 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Bettis is likely high on that list. 

Henry?  Nah.

You're gonna be hard pressed to find many with 13 seasons with 200+ seasons if thats what you are looking at, not many RBs even play 13 years.  Henry has had 2 300 + touch seasons to Gores 1.  6 seasons have been enough for me to see that Henry just gets stronger and better as the game goes on and punishes defenses and one of the best ever in that aspect

Just read my initial post again and maybe you'll understand why he doesn't fit the criteria I laid out. 
I don't want to explain the obvious. 

Is he good at building steam late in games? Yes. Is he going to be high on the list the way I've laid it out? No.

(This post was last modified: 04-03-2022, 02:12 PM by flgatorsandjags. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-03-2022, 12:02 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-03-2022, 11:02 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: You're gonna be hard pressed to find many with 13 seasons with 200+ seasons if thats what you are looking at, not many RBs even play 13 years.  Henry has had 2 300 + touch seasons to Gores 1.  6 seasons have been enough for me to see that Henry just gets stronger and better as the game goes on and punishes defenses and one of the best ever in that aspect

Just read my initial post again and maybe you'll understand why he doesn't fit the criteria I laid out. 
I don't want to explain the obvious. 

Is he good at building steam late in games? Yes. Is he going to be high on the list the way I've laid it out? No.

Well you said top 100 all time backs and he's a top 100 all time back.  So I'd say yes he meets the criteria. So id say yes and yes to the questions

(04-03-2022, 10:29 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-03-2022, 10:19 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Derrick Henry is probably the best at that along with Bettis

Henry?  Nah.

Gore's got to have some special DNA to endure that pounding for so many seasons and be as good as he was!  Hats off to a great career.
[Image: giphy.gif]

One of the most consistent RBs the NFL has ever seen and a for sure HoFer.

And to think that he went on to have that good of and long of a career even after tearing his ACL twice in College.

One of the best to ever do it. Loved watching him play.

Crazy long career for a running back! Guy must have bones of iron. Definitely a hall of famed due to his longevity.

(04-03-2022, 08:00 PM)Eric1 Wrote: One of the most consistent RBs the NFL has ever seen and a for sure HoFer.

And to think that he went on to have that good of and long of a career even after tearing his ACL twice in College.

Longevity is one thing, but I think his biggest argument against his HOF bid is going to be the lack of postseason stats/moments. It's probably subjective, but a lot of the easy HOF picks are guys that not only get it done during the regular season, but have some remarkable postseason performances to make them a household name.

Gore's postseason? 9 games, 668 yards. No big 200-yard performance or anything to carry his team.

He'll probably get in just due to his regular season numbers, though. The HOF is funny that way.

(04-03-2022, 09:11 PM)Newton Wrote: Crazy long career for a running back! Guy must have bones of iron. Definitely a hall of famed due to his longevity.

His running style helped him a lot. He stayed low to the ground to avoid huge hits to his knees.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(04-03-2022, 09:11 PM)Newton Wrote: Crazy long career for a running back! Guy must have bones of iron. Definitely a hall of famed due to his longevity.
See. This is where I have issues with the HOF in general. Frank Gore is going to make the HOF but not because he's one of the all-time greats. Instead, it will be because he played a long time while being a good player. Not a great player but a good player. He made 1 All-Pro back in 2006 and never made it again.

He's flat out not a better RB than Fred Taylor and yet Taylor will likely never get in.

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2022, 01:45 PM by TheDogCatcher.)

(04-04-2022, 12:47 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
See. This is where I have issues with the HOF in general. Frank Gore is going to make the HOF but not because he's one of the all-time greats. Instead, it will be because he played a long time while being a good player. Not a great player but a good player. He made 1 All-Pro back in 2006 and never made it again.

He's flat out not a better RB than Fred Taylor and yet Taylor will likely never get in.

I'm with you there. It's become the Hall of Very Good. Curtis Martin and Art Monk are other examples. They were above average but not dominating players who played a long time.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(04-04-2022, 01:45 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(04-04-2022, 12:47 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: See. This is where I have issues with the HOF in general. Frank Gore is going to make the HOF but not because he's one of the all-time greats. Instead, it will be because he played a long time while being a good player. Not a great player but a good player. He made 1 All-Pro back in 2006 and never made it again.

I'm with you there. It's become the Hall of Very Good. Curtis Martin and Art Monk are other examples. They were above average but not dominating players who played a long time.

Curtis Martin is one of many in the Hall who weren't the most talented athletes among leaders at their position but produced prolifically. 

He's # 6 on the all time list for total rushing yardage. About 2400 more yards than Fred Taylor, who was a more gifted athlete IMO, but being #6 on the all time rushing yards list (and playing in a visible large market) got Martin in quickly.

(04-04-2022, 01:45 PM)TheDogCatcher Wrote:
(04-04-2022, 12:47 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: See. This is where I have issues with the HOF in general. Frank Gore is going to make the HOF but not because he's one of the all-time greats. Instead, it will be because he played a long time while being a good player. Not a great player but a good player. He made 1 All-Pro back in 2006 and never made it again.

Art Monk is decidedly not an other example. from his HOF profile:

Monk was the first player in the NFL with a 100-reception season, had a 183-game streak with at least one reception...In 1992, with his 820th career catch, he became the NFL's then-all-time leader in receptions. He finished his career with 940 receptions....During his 14 seasons with the Redskins, the team won three Super Bowls (XVII, XXII, and XXVI) and had just three losing seasons.

And the previous record holder for receptions and consecutive games? Another Hall of Famer, Steve Largent. (819 and 177, respectively)

69 catches, over 1000 yards in the postseason. Monk was a slam dunk.

I have respected Gore's ability for years, he's an incredible talent who unfortunately spent a lot of those years on bad teams. But after he helped us land Trevor I'm definitely down for at least putting him in the ring of honor if the hof won't enshrine him.

Figuring he'll retire a 49er?

Amazingly long career for a RB. We might not see this long of a career as a RB for a long time, if ever again.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(04-05-2022, 12:59 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Figuring he'll retire a 49er?

Amazingly long career for a RB.  We might not see this long of a career as a RB for a long time, if ever again.

(AP is in his 15th season, but I get what you're saying)

(04-04-2022, 10:22 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(04-03-2022, 08:00 PM)Eric1 Wrote: One of the most consistent RBs the NFL has ever seen and a for sure HoFer.

Longevity is one thing, but I think his biggest argument against his HOF bid is going to be the lack of postseason stats/moments. It's probably subjective, but a lot of the easy HOF picks are guys that not only get it done during the regular season, but have some remarkable postseason performances to make them a household name.

Gore's postseason? 9 games, 668 yards. No big 200-yard performance or anything to carry his team.

He'll probably get in just due to his regular season numbers, though. The HOF is funny that way.

I think they overvalue post season stuff too much at times. Eli Manning will get in because of his two Super Bowls, but are his numbers really HoF worthy? I mean he led the league in INTs in 3 or 4 of his seasons. Jared Allen only had 4 sacks throughout 7 post season games. Should his post season numbers take away from his 12th all time leading 136 sack career?

At the end of the day, Gore is 3rd in rushing yards in NFL history. In a league that has an average lifespan of 3 1/2 years and while playing such a physically taxing position as RB for 16 seasons is something that is very impressive and it can't be over looked. RBs typically are done around age 28-29. Gore went till he was 37 and was still producing. Productive longevity, especially at the RB position is huge imo.