Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Musicians that are overrated

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2022, 08:03 AM by NewJagsCity. Edited 5 times in total.)

Musicians that are heralded as great by critics or fans in thier genre, but just never really did it for you. I ll start with a few.

Carlos Santana
Stevie Nicks
Herbie Hancock
Miles Davis
Garth Brooks
Jimmy Buffet
Pearl Jam
Alice in Chains
Eric Clapton
Jerry Garcia
Frank Zappa
Ed Sheerhan
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

You hit me on Clapton and Buffett.

I'll throw Michael Stipe and Eddie Vedder in there, for a while they were treated as if they walked on musical waters, but they induced a gag reflex for me. I see you have PJ in there, but I never really disliked anyone else in the band; Vedder was a lot like Bono - You're fine as a musician, but when you start telling me how I should think, I'm done with you.

The entire Disco genre.

Any Rap/Hip Hop Band
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

John Legend
Billy Joel
Bruce Springsteen
Any of the Pop Princess Brigade from 1984 - Present
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-06-2022, 10:52 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: John Legend
Billy Joel
Bruce Springsteen

Replace that with Elton John and you're correct.

His sexuality gave him more fame than his voice or his piano skills ever warranted.

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2022, 11:45 AM by NewJagsCity. Edited 2 times in total.)

Billy Joel
Bruce Springsteen

John Legend, yeah. Anyone who allows himself to be rebranded with the name 'Legend' is probably way less than his name suggests.
If Madonna is part of the 'princess brigade', then 100% agree. That she's in the R&R HOF is a straight up joke.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(04-06-2022, 11:43 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
Billy Joel
Bruce Springsteen

John Legend, yeah.  Anyone who allows himself to be rebranded with the name 'Legend' is probably way less than his name suggests.
If Madonna is part of the 'princess brigade', then 100% agree.  That she's in the R&R HOF is a straight up joke.

Nickelback is in there already while Foreigner is not.

Sorry, I think their rock ballads are a million times better than any of the constant same [BLEEP] three chords played over and over again in the same sequence in the same tone of voice. Nickelback sucks and so does anyone that likes them.

(04-06-2022, 12:01 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
(04-06-2022, 11:43 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: John Legend, yeah.  Anyone who allows himself to be rebranded with the name 'Legend' is probably way less than his name suggests.
If Madonna is part of the 'princess brigade', then 100% agree.  That she's in the R&R HOF is a straight up joke.

Nickelback is in there already while Foreigner is not.

Sorry, I think their rock ballads are a million times better than any of the constant same [BLEEP] three chords played over and over again in the same sequence in the same tone of voice. Nickelback sucks and so does anyone that likes them.

Wow, didn't know that. Agree. Foreigner/Styx/Guess Who should all be in over Nickelback, IMHO.

Jann Wenner is the HOF gatekeeper, so it's all his personal preference anyway.

(04-06-2022, 11:36 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote:
Billy Joel
Bruce Springsteen

Replace that with Elton John and you're correct.

His sexuality gave him more fame than his voice or his piano skills ever warranted.

I could just add him, he and Billy Joel are kinda the same act.

(04-06-2022, 11:43 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
Billy Joel
Bruce Springsteen

John Legend, yeah.  Anyone who allows himself to be rebranded with the name 'Legend' is probably way less than his name suggests.

I think Madonna is the true originator of the Harlot Pop movement and all the trash we've had since rolls back to her. Like A Virgin came out in...1984.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(04-06-2022, 12:58 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(04-06-2022, 11:36 AM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Replace that with Elton John and you're correct.

I could just add him, he and Billy Joel are kinda the same act.

(04-06-2022, 11:43 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: John Legend, yeah.  Anyone who allows himself to be rebranded with the name 'Legend' is probably way less than his name suggests.

I think Madonna is the true originator of the Harlot Pop movement and all the trash we've had since rolls back to her. Like A Virgin came out in...1984.

I’ve got to laugh when I hear Madonna brought up.  My dad hates this chick with a passion.  I can’t tell you how many times she was on the news or whatever show and my dad makes a snide remark or flat out exposes his discuss with her.   I’ll just say this.. her Birthday is August 16th.  That’s a date I’ll never forget because I’m usually cooking out or smoking smoking something to eat as we celebrate my dads birthday.

I'll probably get some flack for this but Kurt Cobain was way overrated as a musician and a little overrated as a songwriter although he was one of the primary figures in the development of the Seattle grunge sound.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(04-06-2022, 06:31 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: I'll probably get some flack for this but Kurt Cobain was way overrated as a musician and a little overrated as a songwriter although he was one of the primary figures in the development of the Seattle grunge sound.

Actually agree in the sense that Cobain wasn't an accomplished musician, but was a primitive force for his style of music. Above avg songwriter tho; he perfectly captured the mood of his generation. Better melodies maybe than lyrics.

I personally am not missing Nirvana.

(This post was last modified: 04-06-2022, 06:56 PM by mikesez.)

(04-06-2022, 10:51 AM)The Drifter Wrote: Any Rap/Hip Hop Band

Have you tried Run the Jewels yet?  Try "The Ground Below" by Run The Jewels.

(04-06-2022, 02:27 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Musicians that are heralded as great by critics or fans in thier genre, but just never really did it for you. I ll start with a few.

Carlos Santana
Stevie Nicks
Herbie Hancock
Miles Davis
Garth Brooks
Jimmy Buffet
Pearl Jam
Alice in Chains
Eric Clapton
Jerry Garcia
Frank Zappa
Ed Sheerhan

Miles Davis is a master of the trumpet.  Do you just not like the trumpet?

Pearl Jam, I enjoy it, but if you say Eddie Vedder's voice is a one-trick pony I might agree with you. Alice in Chains is another band that might not be remembered for anything if they weren't peers of Nirvana.  Chris Cornell was the best vocalist that the Seattle scene produced.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(04-06-2022, 06:52 PM)mikesez Wrote:

(04-06-2022, 02:27 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Musicians that are heralded as great by critics or fans in thier genre, but just never really did it for you. I ll start with a few.

Carlos Santana
Stevie Nicks
Herbie Hancock
Miles Davis
Garth Brooks
Jimmy Buffet
Pearl Jam
Alice in Chains
Eric Clapton
Jerry Garcia
Frank Zappa
Ed Sheerhan

Pearl Jam, I enjoy it, but if you say Eddie Vedder's voice is a one-trick pony I might agree with you. Alice in Chains is another band that might not be remembered for anything if they weren't peers of Nirvana.  Chris Cornell was the best vocalist that the Seattle scene produced.

I love the trumpet. Check out "Give it One", by Maynard Ferguson from MF Horn 2. Your ears will bleed.

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2022, 08:47 AM by Mikey.)

(04-06-2022, 06:31 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: I'll probably get some flack for this but Kurt Cobain was way overrated as a musician and a little overrated as a songwriter although he was one of the primary figures in the development of the Seattle grunge sound.

wholeheartedly agree.

I kinda wonder about a lot of artists who passed way too early, would they have continued making music, would their edge have dulled? Like, by album 5, would Hendrix have burned out on studio work? Would he still play as wildly as he approached age 40? If Cobain were still alive, why in the world did he think an Xmas album was going to work? Big Grin

(04-06-2022, 06:52 PM)mikesez Wrote:

Carlos Santana
Stevie Nicks
Herbie Hancock
Miles Davis
Garth Brooks
Jimmy Buffet
Pearl Jam
Alice in Chains
Eric Clapton
Jerry Garcia
Frank Zappa
Ed Sheerhan

AiC were definitely among the elite early on in the scene, but I think Staley's demons were dragging them down. Their early stuff still works for me, but honestly, it's the more mellow stuff like Jar of Flies (and Staley's side project Mad Season) that resonate best.

I'll be the first to admit I don't get pop music, whether it's boy bands, the divas from American Idol, or gospel influenced vocal calisthenics.

On the first Jags message board, there was an entire thread devoted to why my favorite genre, prog rock, sucked. So take what I say with a grain of salt, and realize that I'm not passing judgement on what anyone likes or doesn't. The thread asks what doesn't do it for me but the critics dig.

Prince - OK, I guess, just don't see what the big deal was.
Michael Jackson - same thing.
Beck - a critic darling who has a few songs I like
Dave Matthews Band - same category as Beck. I don't get following him around like the Grateful Dead
The Grateful Dead - sorry, I hate jam bands. Talented as hell but no way I'm sitting through a show.

Elvis
The Beatles
The Monkees

All way before my time but I like a lot of music from that era so that's not the problem. I just don't get the hype. I guess you just had to be there.

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2022, 09:04 AM by NewJagsCity. Edited 5 times in total.)

(04-07-2022, 11:52 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: Elvis
The Beatles
The Monkees

All way before my time but I like a lot of music from that era so that's not the problem. I just don't get the hype. I guess you just had to be there.

The Monkees were a made-for-tv manufactured pop group. Actually, thier debut was the first LP I ever bought at the tender age of 7. The only musician in that bunch was Mike Nesmith, having just recently passed. But outside of the radio hits, most of the Monkees music is pretty awful. Elvis, I think, suffers from overexposure and the way his career and life ended, but in the 50s he was the face of white boy rockabilly rock and roll, yet versatile enough to do ballads, gospel, etc. As for the Beatles, yeah you had to probably grow up during Beatlemania to really appreciate it, and a lot of the concert footage of that era is annoying and hilariously dated today, but as I've said in other threads, considering they were only an organized band for 6 years, the amount and quality of product they put out was pretty remarkable. They set new standards for pop music songwriting. And a lot of that product still holds up very well today. It would have been interesting to see how they would have navigated the musical waters had they gotten started during the MTV era.

All of them.