Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Obscure Music Thread

I've wanted to start this up for a while now, I'm a big fan of practically all genres of music, and often the best way to find new stuff is by word of mouth. Or at least it was before online services built algorithms to cater playlists to preferences, right? So let's depart from the mainstream, tell us about some unheard-of band that you like, maybe how you found them, what they sound like, or anything else you feel like sharing. Local bands, foreign bands, bands that broke up ages ago, anything goes!

I'll start with Pathway(translated, I don't know how to type in Cyrillic), a Russian atmospheric metal band. Found them by way of youtube, the snapshot for their album "Songs of the Death" is an accordion-playing skeleton walking through a snowscape, and based on that alone, I had to try it out. Great stuff for background music while working, there's something about the accordion playing in the background of the guitars and drum that a synth or piano just can't replicate. Thanks to the algorithm, I also found bands like Grima and Wintaar that play similar styles.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-07-2022, 10:27 AM by The Drifter. Edited 1 time in total.)

Orange Goblin, Great English Heavy Metal Band. Their 1st Album, Time Travelling Blues is considered their best so...... You can find them on iTunes, they are worth your time to check out IMO........

Here's their official website: https://www.orangegoblinofficial.com/
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

I was a fan of a band called No Dice who released two albums that I know of in the late 70s. They were a weird fusion of punk, soul and glam. They are hard to find partly because there have been a couple of other bands with that name putting out music. But I did have both their albums at one time (on 8 track no less) and always liked it. Very obscure but you can find them on YouTube.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2022, 12:14 AM by americus 2.0. Edited 1 time in total.)

People In Planes
Steve 'n' Seagulls
Deep Forest
Jakob Dylan
Fever Ray

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2022, 04:58 PM by Caldrac.)

Fuimadane - Bregoask (Album)
Devin Townsend Project - Live At Royal Albert Hall (Album)
Rolando Simmons - World Building (Album)
Susumu Hirasawa - Berserk (Full OST)
Vangelis - Soil Festivities, Spiral & Oceanic (Albums)
Trammell Starks - Winter Tundra (1990's Weather Channel Music)

(04-08-2022, 12:00 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: People In Planes
Steve 'n' Seagulls
Deep Forest
Jakob Dylan
Fever Ray

I dig Deep Forest and Fever Ray. Familiar with them. Actually play Deep Forest a lot at home.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Tipper - Scratch Files

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Baroness

Adrian Von Ziegler

Ott

Shpongle

Andrei Krylov

Volbeat

Twiddle

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2022, 06:49 PM by Jags. Edited 1 time in total.)

JJ Grey and Mofro. 

They could be wildly popular for all I know.  I normally listen to angry crap. Full disclosure, I don’t get out much.  But love some blues/soul.  Bonus points perhaps, they’re from Jacksonville.  Check out their song “Mississippi”.   Also they did 99 shades of crazy.  Not sure if they were the originals or not.

Dax Riggs and his associated acts Agents of Oblivion; Deadboy & the Elephantmen; and Acid Bath. The latter being metal, but he’s since moved into a kinda alt rock, bluesy, folksy place. Not really sure how to describe him. Heavy Bowie influence.

(04-08-2022, 06:47 PM)Jags Wrote: JJ Grey and Mofro. 

They could be wildly popular for all I know.  I normally listen to angry crap. Full disclosure, I don’t get out much.  But love some blues/soul.  Bonus points perhaps, they’re from Jacksonville.  Check out their song “Mississippi”.   Also they did 99 shades of crazy.  Not sure if they were the originals or not.

JJ has referred to their style as "swamp funk". Great stuff!
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2022, 02:40 PM by Mikey.)

(04-07-2022, 10:25 AM)The Drifter Wrote: Orange Goblin, Great English Heavy Metal Band. Their 1st Album, Time Travelling Blues is considered their best so...... You can find them on iTunes, they are worth your time to check out IMO........

I've got this one in the queue, I'll let you know what I think once I give em a listen. ¡Gracias!

Steve 'n' Seagulls
Deep Forest
Jakob Dylan
Fever Ray

Without listening to any of these, I wonder if they'd be similar to Unwed Sailor. Bass-led trio doing primarily instrumental mellow rock.

How would you describe the bands you listed? (Besides "good", of course!)

(04-08-2022, 06:22 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Baroness

Adrian Von Ziegler

Ott

Shpongle

Andrei Krylov

Volbeat

Twiddle

I've heard Shpongle for sure, and Volbeat is one of my faves, a friend of mine gave them a shout about a year or two ago and they've quickly lapped a lot of my formerly favorite bands.

This is quickly turning into a laundry list for me and my workday listening.

If you want to go a little eclectic, try out Igorrr - Spirituality and Distortion. It's like if Squarepusher and Mr. Bungle had a baby. I checked out some of their earlier recordings, and the latest is definitely their best. I believe the mind behind the music is from France.

(04-12-2022, 02:48 PM)Mikey Wrote: This is quickly turning into a laundry list for me and my workday listening.

If you want to go a little eclectic, try out Igorrr - Spirituality and Distortion. It's like if Squarepusher and Mr. Bungle had a baby. I checked out some of their earlier recordings, and the latest is definitely their best. I believe the mind behind the music is from France.

Agreed; I'm liking these lists very much as a gateway to exploring new music.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(This post was last modified: 04-12-2022, 09:33 PM by mikesez. Edited 1 time in total.)

Definitely going to check some of these out. Glad so many of them are available on streaming, you used to have to try your luck borrowing from a friend or going to the used CD store.

My favorite band is well known enough to have played House of Blues here in Orlando. But I've never met anyone else who's heard more than one song of theirs, so they still seem obscure to me. I'm talking about Belle and Sebastian, especially their albums Dear Catastrophe Waitress and The Life Pursuit. A few Americans my age know them because they had one song on the Juno soundtrack.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(04-08-2022, 06:22 PM)Caldrac Wrote: Baroness

Adrian Von Ziegler

Ott

Shpongle

Andrei Krylov

Volbeat

Twiddle

Volbeat is one of the most popular rock bands in the world right now.

(04-07-2022, 10:25 AM)The Drifter Wrote: Orange Goblin, Great English Heavy Metal Band. Their 1st Album, Time Travelling Blues is considered their best so...... You can find them on iTunes, they are worth your time to check out IMO........

Finally got around to listening to that album and LOVED it. I have a thing for that fuzzy, chunky distorted sound. Thanks for the recommendation!

(04-13-2022, 03:59 PM)Mikey Wrote:

Finally got around to listening to that album and LOVED it. I have a thing for that fuzzy, chunky distorted sound. Thanks for the recommendation!

Thank You...... I knew you wouldn't be disappointed.......
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

I don't know if this qualifies as obscure, but they've definitely disappeared.

Stick - Heavy Bag

Came out in the 90's, I think one of their songs (No Groovy) got some airplay on MTV/Beavis and Butthead. Less grungy than a lot of other stuff coming out at the time, but still one of my go-to's when I want to listen to somethng from that era. I saw them with (IIRC) Overkill of all bands, I can remember everyone lined up at the door waiting to be let in and the guys were chucking a football in the parking lot waiting to get things started.
I bought the CD the next day.

(04-12-2022, 02:37 PM)Mikey Wrote:

I've got this one in the queue, I'll let you know what I think once I give em a listen. ¡Gracias!

Steve 'n' Seagulls
Deep Forest
Jakob Dylan
Fever Ray

Without listening to any of these, I wonder if they'd be similar to Unwed Sailor. Bass-led trio doing primarily instrumental mellow rock.

How would you describe the bands you listed? (Besides "good", of course!)

Fever Ray is like nothing I've ever heard before. It's eerie and haunting. It's like a mixture between Gregorian chanting and Norse music. Whatever it is, it's very interesting. I first heard their music in the movie, Horns. Give them a listen.