Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Doug dying to take an offensive guy at 1?

First is was Hutch, then rumors or Walker, now rumors Doug wants a offensive guy.  I think it's all smoke to be honest 

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/draft/ano...ayer-draft

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I hope this means we go offense in Round 2 at least. Or maybe trade back into the first if the right guy falls for the right price.
I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Please don't be that dumb Pederson. We're really counting on you to be the level headed leader to bring us back to respectibility.

(04-14-2022, 01:19 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: First is was Hutch, then rumors or Walker, now rumors Doug wants a offensive guy.  I think it's all smoke to be honest 

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/draft/ano...ayer-draft

There are so many qualifiers and disclaimers in that article that it is perfectly meaningless.

I wouldn't mind Evan Neal. The Titans built their team predicated on a solid OLine; perhaps we should do the same.

(04-14-2022, 03:12 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I wouldn't mind Evan Neal.  The Titans built their team predicated on a solid OLine; perhaps we should do the same.

Agreed. He's the guy I want if we don't take Hutch.  He could play any spot on the oline except C at a high level

There is absolutely no offensive player in this draft worthy of the top 5 pick, much less #1 overall.

(04-14-2022, 05:58 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: There is absolutely no offensive player in this draft worthy of the top 5 pick, much less #1 overall.

I hear you, but cannot fathom how you can be so sure of that. Not a knock just my opinion.  I re watched the Michigan-Georgia game today and watched either Sayler or McClendon handle Hutch by themselves during that butt whooping. Even when Ojbie flushed the Ga QB towards Hutch the guy couldn't close the deal. Sayler is not suppose to be good enough to be a tackle in the NFL so he will face better players....what am I missing?
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(04-14-2022, 07:36 PM)Jag149 Wrote:
(04-14-2022, 05:58 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: There is absolutely no offensive player in this draft worthy of the top 5 pick, much less #1 overall.

I hear you, but cannot fathom how you can be so sure of that. Not a knock just my opinion.  I re watched the Michigan-Georgia game today and watched either Sayler or McClendon handle Hutch by themselves during that butt whooping. Even when Ojbie flushed the Ga QB towards Hutch the guy couldn't close the deal. Sayler is not suppose to be good enough to be a tackle in the NFL so he will face better players....what am I missing?

Someone posted a video of a breakdown of the Georgia/Michigan game several weeks ago and it zeroed in on Hutchinson and and how much he actually pressured the QB in that game and how many times he was held as well. It was a very insightful video and once I watched it and saw the actual nuances of what actually went on in that game, I realized that Hutchinson actually played well. Just because he didn't get a sack in that particular game, didn't mean he wasn't playing hard or didn't play well. He is the one edge rusher in this draft that I can say gives 120% on every down.

(04-14-2022, 07:36 PM)Jag149 Wrote:

I just rewatched it, too, based on comments on the board.  Hutch was a non-factor.  Most of the game he was blocked by either McClendon or Salyer one-on-one.  In the first quarter he was blocked one-on-one by a TE.  He came in free twice that I saw.  He could not chase down Stetson Bennett.  Big red flag.

I'm starting to waffle again.  Lol.  Maybe Jags should just choose Neal or Ekwonu at #1  Build Fortress Duval.  Sunshine would be clean in the pocket, breeze blowing through his hair, with no defender within three yards of him.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(04-14-2022, 09:40 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(04-14-2022, 07:36 PM)Jag149 Wrote: I hear you, but cannot fathom how you can be so sure of that. Not a knock just my opinion.  I re watched the Michigan-Georgia game today and watched either Sayler or McClendon handle Hutch by themselves during that butt whooping. Even when Ojbie flushed the Ga QB towards Hutch the guy couldn't close the deal. Sayler is not suppose to be good enough to be a tackle in the NFL so he will face better players....what am I missing?

I just rewatched it, too, based on comments on the board.  Hutch was a non-factor.  Most of the game he was blocked by either McClendon or Salyer one-on-one.  In the first quarter he was blocked one-on-one by a TE.  He came in free twice that I saw.  He could not chase down Stetson Bennett.  Big red flag.

I'm starting to waffle again.  Lol.  Maybe Jags should just choose Neal or Ekwonu at #1  Build Fortress Duval.  Sunshine would be clean in the pocket, breeze blowing through his hair, with no defender within three yards of him.

That is what I saw. I also didn't see the mysterious bend people are talking about as the blocker seemed to always have leverage on him under his pads.  The couple of time he did get loose Stetson just ran away from him. I can't imagine him catching some of the better scramblers in the pros if he can't run down Stetson. If he is the best edge in this class all we need to do is get Salyer or someone like him to block him if we don't take him? The film made me think we need to get the best O-lineman at #1. Get Neal he has played guard and both tackles well over his career. It would give us some leverage over Cam. We don't then we are here next year talking about how much we had to pay him.  Besides, I don't care how fast and good your receivers are they can't get downfield if you can't keep the other guys out long enough.

The D played pretty well last year at times. They were just on the field a lot due to our 3 and outs during the first half of the games.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(04-14-2022, 07:36 PM)Jag149 Wrote: I hear you, but cannot fathom how you can be so sure of that. Not a knock just my opinion.  I re watched the Michigan-Georgia game today and watched either Sayler or McClendon handle Hutch by themselves during that butt whooping. Even when Ojbie flushed the Ga QB towards Hutch the guy couldn't close the deal. Sayler is not suppose to be good enough to be a tackle in the NFL so he will face better players....what am I missing?

It sounds like the best plan.
On paper. 

Unless those tackle prospects are just as much of a gamble as these pass rushers.
I honestly have no idea.

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2022, 02:08 PM by The Eleventh Doctor.)

If we want to take an offensive linemen, we should trade down. Otherwise, just take Hutchison I think. Obviously, we need to build around Trevor to give him a good chance at success. But we shouldn't do it at the expense of taking a player not worth taking at #1. Hopefully this will be our last #1 pick for a decade and a half or more.
I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

God No! I saw Evan Neal on multiple occasions last season and he's an average RT at best. He got beat a lot, but Bryce Young was so good and had so much pocket awareness that he could sense the rush and would fire strikes in the nick of time. If Neal didn't have Young as his QB, he wouldn't even be in the first round discussion. He couldn't even beat Alex Leatherwood for the LT job in 2020 and Leatherwood was so bad for the Raiders last season, he had to be kicked inside to OG. 

Ekwonu is a fantastic run blocker, but his pass blocking is way behind. He gave up 3 sacks last season as a member of the ACC conference. Not exactly a "murderer's row" of pass rushers that he faced. I'm sorry, but elite college OT's don't give up that many sacks in a second tier conference. He needs to be kicked inside to OG, where he can work in less space and utilize his strength. This is a very weak OT class. We wouldn't be getting anything better than what we already have at OT.

Feels like the 2012 draft all over again.

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2022, 03:43 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-15-2022, 03:18 PM)TrivialPursuit Wrote: Feels like the 2012 draft all over again.

I think it's more like 2013. You have a case that can be made for/against the OT's and DE's in this class but the talent is scary (in a negative way). You're looking at another batch of Eric Fisher's and Luke Joeckel's potentially while feeling risky with Dion Jordan's and Barkevious Mingo's. 

Hutchinson, Thibodeaux, Neal & Ekwonu all have a similar vibe to them. 

I believe there's maybe three, can't miss players in the first round this year that have Pro-Bowl potential. 

1. Ahmad Gardner - CB - Cincinnati 
2. Jordan Davis - DT - Georgia
3. Tyler Linderbaum - C - Iowa

Those are three prospects, where, based on their position, they won't be highly drafted because of the premiums that are placed at DE and OT. However, I think when it's all said and done? In about three years? By 2025, those three guys will have made at least one or two pro bowl appearances. 

When you look at them on film, it translates well to the stat sheet overall. They'll be the safest picks in the first round with the highest reward to risk ratio IMHO. They're technically sound, disruptive, clean on and off the field and they tend to make impact plays throughout the overall course of a football game. 

Virtually everybody else is a shot in the dark and you could probably "salvage" them by playing them at a different position.

Most OT's are given a 2nd chance at the opposite tackle position or inside before being completely given up on. Most receivers can be moved around and used in a variety of ways. Most linebackers can play inside or outside if a coaching staff is willing to work with them enough. 

I just hope Trent and Doug don't [BLEEP] this up.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-15-2022, 03:10 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-14-2022, 09:40 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: I just rewatched it, too, based on comments on the board.  Hutch was a non-factor.  Most of the game he was blocked by either McClendon or Salyer one-on-one.  In the first quarter he was blocked one-on-one by a TE.  He came in free twice that I saw.  He could not chase down Stetson Bennett.  Big red flag.

God No! I saw Evan Neal on multiple occasions last season and he's an average RT at best. He got beat a lot, but Bryce Young was so good and had so much pocket awareness that he could sense the rush and would fire strikes in the nick of time. If Neal didn't have Young as his QB, he wouldn't even be in the first round discussion. He couldn't even beat Alex Leatherwood for the LT job in 2020 and Leatherwood was so bad for the Raiders last season, he had to be kicked inside to OG. 

Ekwonu is a fantastic run blocker, but his pass blocking is way behind. He gave up 3 sacks last season as a member of the ACC conference. Not exactly a "murderer's row" of pass rushers that he faced. I'm sorry, but elite college OT's don't give up that many sacks in a second tier conference. He needs to be kicked inside to OG, where he can work in less space and utilize his strength. This is a very weak OT class. We wouldn't be getting anything better than what we already have at OT.

Lol.  I knew you would have that reaction!  For better or worse, you form strong opinions and do not change them.  But those opinions are at odds with most draft experts who do this for a living that I have read and listened to.  One of them (McShay, I think) said when talking about Neal that he compared him to last year's tackles and next year's top prospects.  His opinion is that Neal is as good as any of them.

I would draft him or Ekwonu with the knowledge that they would be fighting it out with Little and Taylor for RT.  Losers of the RT battle compete with Bartch and each other for swing tackle and LG.  Cam Robinson is the LT of this team for at least this year and possibly longer if they work out a contract.  The resulting O-line would be very solid with serviceable depth.

Jags cannot help that they are drafting #1 in a draft year without truly elite talent.  It is what it is.  They have to make chicken salad of the chicken they're served.

(04-15-2022, 03:10 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(04-14-2022, 09:40 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: I just rewatched it, too, based on comments on the board.  Hutch was a non-factor.  Most of the game he was blocked by either McClendon or Salyer one-on-one.  In the first quarter he was blocked one-on-one by a TE.  He came in free twice that I saw.  He could not chase down Stetson Bennett.  Big red flag.

Sometimes I don't think you even watch the games with some of the things you say.  To say he couldn't beat out Leatherwood his sophomore year is some bad thing lol.  Regardless of how bad he was his rookie year, Leatherwood was pretty damn good at Alabama and won the Outland trophy the year you are talking about.  The award for the best lineman, offense or defense.

We're gonna go round and round and round, and finally, when they actually make the pick, they'll be right back where they started, and probably never left, Hutchinson.