Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Sauce Gardner at #1?

If the team views Hutchinson as more Ryan Kerrigan than Bosa brother, why not grab Sauce Gardner at #1? He has the look of a can't miss lockdown corner. It's the dilemma the Browns had a few years ago between Bradley Chubb and Denzel Ward. If it's close, you take the pass rusher. But I don't know about in this case.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2022, 12:58 PM by I am Yoda. Edited 2 times in total.)

It would be the story of the draft if we did!  He is truly talented.

For me, even if he were the most talented player in the draft, the positional value relative to our needs is not there.  You need plenty of good OT, EDGE, WR, and CB in addition to a top flight QB.  But CB is the least valuable of the "must have" positions, imo.  Plus, we have 3 good starters at CB right now (if you count nickel as your de facto base formation, which I do.).  A premier edge would make d-line our blue chip position group.  O-line is the group of greatest need, even if Baalke does not agree.  And we really need a true #1 X.  If I'm reaching for a position, it's WR, not CB.  But I prefer getting one of the top tackles with edge as the next choice.
[Image: giphy.gif]

Sounds cool, but not going to happen.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(This post was last modified: 04-15-2022, 02:14 PM by Caldrac. Edited 1 time in total.)

Wouldn't bother me at all. However, it would set off the majority of this fanbase and the media would have a field day with that selection.

For good reason as well. On paper. You signed Griffin last year to be CB1. You drafted Campbell to be CB2, and, he panned out pretty well down the stretch. Also, you signed up Darious Williams to a three year deal to probably be CB1/CB2 and nickel CB.

All of a sudden. Your cornerback room is crowded and it's probably overkill. They really do have other areas of concern to address. Especially on defense. Again, I WOULDN'T MIND THE SELECTION. I just think that's the narrative you'll hear above if they go that route.

I'll say this. In a trade down scenario? He's my top guy. I know people will think I am INSANE for saying this. But, for whatever reason, let's say Baalke works out a trade with maybe the Giants or Commanders. I have Gardner rated higher on my board over any of the receivers.

I would take my chances on Gardner at CB over London or Williams at WR. In a trade down scenario. I am also banking on getting at least another RD2 or RD3 selection. As soon as I make my pick in RD1? I am picking up the phone to get back into RD1 that same night for a WR.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(04-15-2022, 11:42 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: If the team views Hutchinson as more Ryan Kerrigan than Bosa brother, why not grab Sauce Gardner at #1? He has the look of a can't miss lockdown corner. It's the dilemma the Browns had a few years ago between Bradley Chubb and Denzel Ward. If it's close, you take the pass rusher. But I don't know about in this case.

I think in order to do so, we'd have to have a trade in the works to offload Griffin or Campbell. We just paid a third CB, and while it'd be great to be FULLY stocked at that position, you're going to be seeing at least one of them riding a lot of pine over the season.

I think if it's that grim an outlook at Hutch, you see what you can get to slide back to 4 or 5 and hope that Gardner falls there, as it seems he's a better fit around that part of the first. Taking him at 1 is fine as long as your evaluation of him (and all the other guys likely to go early) is on point. If not, you've not only blown a pick, you also lose value by taking him earlier than you might have had to.

(04-15-2022, 11:42 AM)TheDogCatcher Wrote: If the team views Hutchinson as more Ryan Kerrigan than Bosa brother, why not grab Sauce Gardner at #1? He has the look of a can't miss lockdown corner. It's the dilemma the Browns had a few years ago between Bradley Chubb and Denzel Ward. If it's close, you take the pass rusher. But I don't know about in this case.

I'd have no problem at all taking Sauce #1. There is only a tiny, minute difference separating him and Hutchinson as the #1 overall prospect for us and that mainly has to do with the overall need for an edge rusher. Based on talent alone, I could see going with Gardner. IMO, he is a "can't miss" prospect and I see him as a mixture between Darrelle Revis and Stephon Gilmore in their prime. Who wouldn't want that type of player?

Cool enough name to be drafted #1.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2022, 12:46 AM by ChrisJagBoy.)

Not that anyone here values my opinion on this board, but Sauce is by far my #1 player in this draft.. If you look back at last years draft it's a similar situation minus the QBs everyone had rated so highly to Kyle Pitts. Ofcourse, CB is a much more valuable position than TE but I do think Gardner is the best player in this draft and I'll be completely honest with you if I was the GM of the jags I'd try to trade down a spot or two and take him. I am aware our CBs aren't exactly a weak spot but I do think since 2022 is probably a bit of a wash in terms of a post season i'd much rather take the guy who is most likely to be an all-pro than a DE that nobody can seem to come to a conclussion on who should go #1.

In short, yes I'd take Sauce at #1 and i'd be happy about it. I was on the Joey Bosa bandwagon in 2016 but I think had Jalen Ramsey gone #1 that draft, people would look back on it as a slam dunk (provided he didn't get traded by the team that drafted him, like he did here)

(04-15-2022, 02:38 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

I'd have no problem at all taking Sauce #1. There is only a tiny, minute difference separating him and Hutchinson as the #1 overall prospect for us and that mainly has to do with the overall need for an edge rusher. Based on talent alone, I could see going with Gardner. IMO, he is a "can't miss" prospect and I see him as a mixture between Darrelle Revis and Stephon Gilmore in their prime. Who wouldn't want that type of player?

I actually agree with you, the only reason I wouldn't blame them for going DE is purely based on need. But I do think a GM who is thinking about the future of the team and not just this single season would highly consider Sauce at 1. I do not see this team competing in January this year, it just dosen't seem realistic so to me personally I would at least consider taking the CB who looks like he's a slam dunk superstar over one of the 3 DE's of whom none have been impressive enough to be a "clear cut" first pick.

with the first pick in the 2022 nfl draft Jacksonville Jaguars seclect out of pitsburgh qb  Kenny Pickett.     its something jags would do,not a name beign talked about much. 

only reason i know of person is cause a friend told me about him.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

I think the CB position is valuable enough to consider taking him at 1 and he seems pretty safely one of the best players in this draft if not the best player in the draft, at least to me. I have questions about Hutch, Walker and to a lesser extent Thibs. When looking back in 3 or 4 years at this draft, if Sauce has proven to be the best player in the draft and we don't take him, what will it have mattered what our CB room looked like at the time? And I would think Shaq would be on the block should we wind up with Sauce at 1 or via a trade back scenario.

(04-17-2022, 04:29 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: I think the CB position is valuable enough to consider taking him at 1 and he seems pretty safely one of the best players in this draft if not the best player in the draft, at least to me.  I have questions about Hutch, Walker and to a lesser extent Thibs.  When looking back in 3 or 4 years at this draft, if Sauce has proven to be the best player in the draft and we don't take him, what will it have mattered what our CB room looked like at the time?  And I would think Shaq would be on the block should we wind up with Sauce at 1 or via a trade back scenario.

Even though I lean toward finding value picks that weigh roster needs, I can always get on board with drafting an elite CB over a greater need if the players are rated similarly. 
  • Griffin's contract has an out after the coming season and he has no tie to the new regime
  • Tyson Campbell looks promising - but will Mike Campbell's scheme allow for that high % of zone coverage that helped him thrive late last season? 
  • How many teams make it through 17 games without having a starting secondary defender missing time? 

Not tough to make a case for the selection. 
Seriously doubt Baalke/Pederson go this way, but I wouldn't hate it.

(04-15-2022, 01:04 PM)Dimson Wrote: Sounds cool, but not going to happen.

Agreed.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We should have

(This post was last modified: 10-19-2022, 04:32 PM by Caldrac. Edited 2 times in total.)

(10-16-2022, 04:16 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: We should have

Hard to argue. He's working out great with the Jets so far. Walker has a long way to go developmental wise. The only saving grace in this scenario would be that hopefully Darious Williams moving outside and playing better than Griffin starting this Sunday at home. Which, shouldn't be that difficult. Question is, will the coaching staff pull the trigger and make that happen?

Campbell has been great this year though at least. If his counterpart is not currently on this roster? They're going to have consider Keelee Ringo (if they end up with a top ten pick, which they might) or Joey Porter Jr. IMHO in next year's draft.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(10-19-2022, 04:26 PM)Caldrac Wrote:
(10-16-2022, 04:16 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: We should have

Hard to argue. He's working out great with the Jets so far. Walker has a long way to go developmental wise. The only saving grace in this scenario would be hopefully Darious Williams moving outside and playing better than Griffin starting this Sunday at home. Which, shouldn't be that difficult. 

Campbell has been great this year. If his counterpart is not currently on this roster? They're going to have consider Keelee Ringo (if they end up with a top ten pick, which they might) or Joey Porter Jr. IMHO in next year's draft.

Williams played outside on the Rams and is where he is best. Hopefully they put him outside this weekend