Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Lawrence Critique (merged)

He took a step back this game.. bad throws. However, the receivers need to do better giving him a target. Still, he’s a rookie, he’ll figure it out
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The first 3 weeks Trevor was the worst qualifying QB in the league (Zach Wlson was worse in a small sample), the second 3 weeks he was just about exactly average, and I would guess these last 3 weeks he is again near the very bottom again.

He has shown enough flashes that I am not really worried in the long term once we can surround him with functional assets, but right now it is in fact true that he has been among the worst QBs in the league.

Lawrence will be fine, but this offense is ridiculously bad. Our receivers can't get open, they can't catch, the QB is making rookie mistakes (which is understandable) and the coaching staff barely utilizes our best player (Robinson.) Someone has to be held accountable and we all know that it won't be Meyer, because Khan won't admit this early that he made a mistake. Darrell Bevell has to go though. His offense is inefficient and he clearly doesn't know how to utilize Lawrence or Robinson. If Urban fires Bevell, it will at least give the appearance like he's making an effort. If not, there may not be any fans left for next season.

(11-14-2021, 06:39 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Lawrence will be fine, but this offense is ridiculously bad. Our receivers can't get open, they can't catch, the QB is making rookie mistakes (which is understandable) and the coaching staff barely utilizes our best player (Robinson.) Someone has to be held accountable and we all know that it won't be Meyer, because Khan won't admit this early that he made a mistake. Darrell Bevell has to go though. His offense is inefficient and he clearly doesn't know how to utilize Lawrence or Robinson. If Urban fires Bevell, it will at least give the appearance like he's making an effort. If not, there may not be any fans left for next season.

Despite some of your draft takes, I actually agree with you on this subject here as a Jags fan.

Bull [BLEEP] mate

The owner knew he was getting Lawrence and he hired Myer to put in a winning culture. I don't know why didn't he focus on making the QB successful.

This franchise does this stupid smarter than you crap all the time. You win the lottery and they don't even furnish the dream home. They wasted extra picks in the draft and bungled the off season. I know I am a broken record but jeez they are ruining the kids development with crap talent and a porous oline.

Stop being a loser franchise and make the tough calls.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

I think Lawrence has all the tools. My biggest fear is the o-line. In the two games this year where Lawrence looked really bad (this one and Seattle), he was hitting the ground a lot. I want to see the line do a better job of keeping him upright. He needs that to grow more than anything else, imo.

He regressed the last two games. Today was probably the worst, esp. in the first half. He is better than Bortles from what I can remember or Minshew, but he is not Mac Jones. It’s fair to compre him to tbe other rookies and he’s not seperating - at all. I remember the first drive vs. Broncos, that was great. But I see a lot of miscommunications, inaccurate throws, not seeing what’s available and dart where touch is needed. He needs to get better, should use his legs more in thr meantime.

(11-14-2021, 07:11 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I think Lawrence has all the tools. My biggest fear is the o-line. In the two games this year where Lawrence looked really bad (this one and Seattle), he was hitting the ground a lot. I want to see the line do a better job of keeping him upright. He needs that to grow more than anything else, imo.

That again brings up the question why they aren't calling more short and medium passing plays? Is it on Lawrence or the OC? I feel this should be asked by the media. 

I also feel that Lawrence sometimes lacks touch. He throws too hard a lot the time. Today I also saw him throw behind the receiver on a number of plays.

He had nice touch early in the season. I think it's a combination of rushing to get the ball out and being afraid he's going to be picked. Throwing bullets limits DBs time to react. I'm with you, though. He needs more 3 step drops. Yes, he will get picked more, but he won't get hit. Getting hit is the single worst thing you can do for a rookie.

(11-14-2021, 07:17 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote:
(11-14-2021, 07:11 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: I think Lawrence has all the tools. My biggest fear is the o-line. In the two games this year where Lawrence looked really bad (this one and Seattle), he was hitting the ground a lot. I want to see the line do a better job of keeping him upright. He needs that to grow more than anything else, imo.

That again brings up the question why they aren't calling more short and medium passing plays? Is it on Lawrence or the OC? I feel this should be asked by the media. 

I also feel that Lawrence sometimes lacks touch. He throws too hard a lot the time. Today I also saw him throw behind the receiver on a number of plays.
There are some plays being called with dump off options he doesn't look for until pressure has already affected him - and there are some where they have all his options running intermediate or deep routes. 

The latter needs to be used more sparingly and they need more plays called  that are DESIGNED to be at the sticks or just shy of them.  This offensive roster is much better equipped to succeed with a combo of those types of pass plays and a very healthy dose of J Robinson who is still woefully underused.

(11-14-2021, 07:16 PM)Holger Wrote: He regressed the last two games. Today was probably the worst, esp. in the first half. He is better than Bortles from what I can remember or Minshew, but he is not Mac Jones. It’s fair to compre him to tbe other rookies and he’s not seperating - at all. I remember the first drive vs. Broncos, that was great. But I see a lot of miscommunications, inaccurate throws, not seeing what’s available and dart where touch is needed. He needs to get better, should use his legs more in thr meantime.

You also have to compare the situations these rookie QBs are in and what's around them as well. Mac and Trevor are not in the same kind of situation and it's not even close.

Mac is in a far superior situation all the way around. Far superior coaching with a better team around him. They aren't asking him to do too much. They're led by their Defense and running game. 11 of his 18 completions today were check downs to RBs. They also ran the ball 35 times today, which they've been averaging per game for the past 6 weeks.

Lawrence isn't getting the kind of protection required for a rookie qb to make a bunch of touch passes.

He's throwing many of those little darts early and hot due to pressure.

(11-14-2021, 06:39 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Lawrence will be fine, but this offense is ridiculously bad. Our receivers can't get open, they can't catch, the QB is making rookie mistakes (which is understandable) and the coaching staff barely utilizes our best player (Robinson.) Someone has to be held accountable and we all know that it won't be Meyer, because Khan won't admit this early that he made a mistake. Darrell Bevell has to go though. His offense is inefficient and he clearly doesn't know how to utilize Lawrence or Robinson. If Urban fires Bevell, it will at least give the appearance like he's making an effort. If not, there may not be any fans left for next season.

I'm missed the beginnings of the past few games. Are the scripted plays any better than calls later in the game?

(11-14-2021, 07:47 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:

I'm missed the beginnings of the past few games. Are the scripted plays any better than calls later in the game?

Not of late. 

Bengals game may have been the last one with a strong script early

(11-14-2021, 07:47 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:

They had a False Start on the very first Offensive play today lolololol

That's at least 4 penalties on the opening Offensive play this season. It's pathetic that this continues to happen when the stuff is scripted off the top.

(11-14-2021, 07:54 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(11-14-2021, 07:47 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: I'm missed the beginnings of the past few games. Are the scripted plays any better than calls later in the game?

They had a False Start on the very first Offensive play today lolololol

That's at least 4 penalties on the opening Offensive play this season. It's pathetic that this continues to happen when the stuff is scripted off the top.

What do you expect, when we have a coach that decided to retain the worst O-Line coach in the NFL and make no changes to one of the worst O-Lines in the NFL last year?

It's as simple as this: the defenses TL faces are far smarter, complex and crafty than anything he saw at Clemson. The great QB's are not great because of their physical gifts (although these are always important) but because they can read the game as well as any coach. They know the defenses they face like the backs of their hands and can see the opportunities before the ball snaps. The Jags struggle offensively, particularly as the season progresses and oppositions defenses get more cohesive by playing together, because TL can't yet direct the receiving corp and they can't play absent his direction.

The huge advantage rookie QBs have on teams like NE is that everyone on that team already knows exactly what to do. The QB can slot in, make a few simple decisions and know that his WRs will be on the same page. Here, not so much. A lot of progress required.

(11-14-2021, 08:12 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-14-2021, 07:54 PM)Eric1 Wrote: They had a False Start on the very first Offensive play today lolololol

What do you expect, when we have a coach that decided to retain the worst O-Line coach in the NFL and make no changes to one of the worst O-Lines in the NFL last year?

The call was on TE Manhertz, who had 3 dumb penalties today.

(11-14-2021, 08:18 PM)OzJohnnie Wrote: It's as simple as this: the defenses TL faces are far smarter, complex and crafty than anything he saw at Clemson.  The great QB's are not great because of their physical gifts (although these are always important) but because they can read the game as well as any coach.  They know the defenses they face like the backs of their hands and can see the opportunities before the ball snaps.  The Jags struggle offensively, particularly as the season progresses and oppositions defenses get more cohesive by playing together, because TL can't yet direct the receiving corp and they can't play absent his direction.

The huge advantage rookie QBs have on teams like NE is that everyone on that team already knows exactly what to do.  The QB can slot in, make a few simple decisions and know that his WRs will be on the same page.  Here, not so much. A lot of progress required.

It's as simple as this:
  • Rookie QB
  • Bad OC
  • Poor protection
  • Severe lack of receiving talent