Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Lawrence Critique (merged)

(11-16-2021, 12:25 AM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Ian Hartitz (@Ihartitz) Tweeted:
Most incompletions on "big-time throws" this season (PFF):

1. Ryan Tannehill
2. Lamar Jackson
T3. Tom Brady
T3. Trevor Lawrence ? https://t.co/hsjNj2nifg https://twitter.com/Ihartitz/status/1460...32871?s=20

You do realize this tweet is praising Lawrence right? 

Those big time throws made by our QB should have all been caught. Instead they were all dropped, which is what this clip is pointing out. He's making some big time throws and the receivers aren't helping him out at all.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Here is some perspective.

https://www.news4jax.com/sports/2021/11/...he-season/

(11-16-2021, 07:29 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Here is some perspective.

I looked at this graphic about SF's game plan from last night and wondered why we have not been doing something similar?  Why are we not scheming our WRs open and protecting our QB?

[Image: FESgrkyVkAcowG4?format=jpg&name=900x900]
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

WR is our biggest need.

(11-16-2021, 07:39 AM)I am Yoda Wrote:

I looked at this graphic about SF's game plan from last night and wondered why we have not been doing something similar?  Why are we not scheming our WRs open and protecting our QB?

I had to laugh at that last sentence.  Scheming the WRs open and protecting the QB is the goal of every team, and in each case, there is a defense trying to prevent you from doing it.   It's not like "Hey, how about this idea?  Let's scheme our WRs open and protect the QB!"

(11-16-2021, 08:54 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: WR is our biggest need.

What happened to your "It doesn't matter who is playing offense, WR, OL, TE etc as long as we have Trevor, all you need is a great QB and we already have it"? according to you Trevor would already be at Peyton's and Brady's level this year.  Laughing Laughing
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(11-16-2021, 09:06 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 07:39 AM)I am Yoda Wrote: I looked at this graphic about SF's game plan from last night and wondered why we have not been doing something similar?  Why are we not scheming our WRs open and protecting our QB?

I had to laugh at that last sentence.  Scheming the WRs open and protecting the QB is the goal of every team, and in each case, there is a defense trying to prevent you from doing it.   It's not like "Hey, how about this idea?  Let's scheme our WRs open and protect the QB!"
Glad you got a laugh. 

And yet, the good coaching staffs do it. Just not ours. Jones is not a scrub. Shenault is not a scrub. We have a couple of serviceable TEs. Give this same group of players to Bellichik and his staff and we’d be a strong second in the division and the Tacks wouldn’t want to play us. Having smart, good coaching  matters.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

(11-15-2021, 11:26 AM)Upper Wrote:
(11-15-2021, 10:33 AM)Mikey Wrote: We can't rely on gimmicks to be our run game. We have a line that is built with run blocking guys, and we refuse to even attempt to establish a run game. It's no wonder we ended up with so many threes and out yesterday.

You don't think starting 4 out of our 5 first half drives (not counting the one we got with 36 seconds left in the half) with a run isn't trying to establish the run?

Running on first down isn't attempting to establish the run. Here's our first 6 drives:

1) Penalty, 1-15; Hyde run 5 (2-10); Viska 1 run (leaving 3rd and 9)
2) JRob run 2 (2-8); TLaw pass Jrob 0 (3-8)
3) TLaw inc deep (2-10); JRob run 0 (3-10)
4) TLaw inc deep (2-10) JRob run 3 (3-7)
5) Agnew run 5 (2-5); JRob run 0, holding (2-15); TLaw run 12 (3-3)
6) TLaw run 4 (2-6); Viska run 5 (3-1); Hyde run -1 (4-2)

We are not getting to attainable 3rd down yardage; the best runs we had were by non-RB; we have to rely on gimmick plays and QB scrambles to get yardage on the ground.

attempting to establish run is handing it off to the RB and punching it down the D's throat until they choke. You could say on the first series the 2nd and 10 might have been better suited for a short pass, get it under 3rd and 5. Getting off the stat sheet and looking at the actual game, I can't help but feel that we try a run, get a yard or two, and panic into a 2nd down pass or gimmicky run, get little to nothing from that, and are left with third and long.

It's no wonder TLaw's comp % is in the terlet and Logan Cooke is overworked. We are not setting ourselves up for success with our play calls. I don't know if they just don't trust Hyde, Ogbunwale or anyone else at RB, but we are putting a lot of the run game's burden on our QB and WR. That's not going to work for the long haul.

(11-16-2021, 07:39 AM)I am Yoda Wrote:

[pic]

I also saw a graphic that their run pct was thru the roof. We aren't doing that either.

You can do a whole lot more when you're not painting yourself into a corner with 3rd and a parking lot to go every series.

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2021, 11:29 AM by CanDoBetter.)

(11-16-2021, 11:14 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(11-15-2021, 11:26 AM)Upper Wrote: You don't think starting 4 out of our 5 first half drives (not counting the one we got with 36 seconds left in the half) with a run isn't trying to establish the run?

Running on first down isn't attempting to establish the run. Here's our first 6 drives:

We are not getting to attainable 3rd down yardage; the best runs we had were by non-RB; we have to rely on gimmick plays and QB scrambles to get yardage on the ground.

attempting to establish run is handing it off to the RB and punching it down the D's throat until they choke. You could say on the first series the 2nd and 10 might have been better suited for a short pass, get it under 3rd and 5. Getting off the stat sheet and looking at the actual game, I can't help but feel that we try a run, get a yard or two, and panic into a 2nd down pass or gimmicky run, get little to nothing from that, and are left with third and long.

It's no wonder TLaw's comp % is in the terlet and Logan Cooke is overworked. We are not setting ourselves up for success with our play calls. I don't know if they just don't trust Hyde, Ogbunwale or anyone else at RB, but we are putting a lot of the run game's burden on our QB and WR. That's not going to work for the long haul.

At the same time others on this board think they're using Hyde too much. Last year we had only one RB(Ogunbowale and Ozigbo are special teams players) so bringing in Hyde makes sense. 

Something is weird because our line is clearly better at runblocking, we have a good RB1 so why don't we run more? 

I suppose what I'm asking for are the hard facts. How often are we running comparted to other teams in different scenarios?

(11-16-2021, 11:19 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 07:39 AM)I am Yoda Wrote: I looked at this graphic about SF's game plan from last night and wondered why we have not been doing something similar?  Why are we not scheming our WRs open and protecting our QB?

[pic]

I also saw a graphic that their run pct was thru the roof. We aren't doing that either.

You can do a whole lot more when you're not painting yourself into a corner with 3rd and a parking lot to go every series.

Niners were in charge almost from the start and could control the clock. Add the fact that the Rams D is better against the pass and you know what to do in the unlikely event we will score first against them.

(11-16-2021, 12:55 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I'd like to clarify that I'm not saying Trevor wont be good/elite, I'm not saying he isn't talented. All I'm saying is people with eyes saw quite a few tendencies in college that were extremely worrying, and SO FAR this season I've seen no progression in his game in those areas. Noticeably he isn't consistently accurate, he is extremely poor at throwing on the run and he buckles under pressure. Can he improve? Yes, Will he? Who knows.

Quit acting like he's the chosen savior, he never was that. Only people who believed that watched his highlights once and just believe every media guy who said he was a "generational talent". Anyone who watched his college play a bit deeper knows he was a work in progress..

I'm just saying before the season this was my stance:

Mac Jones likely will be the most consistent this year.
Lance has the most upside (but isn't playing)
Lawrence has the right demeanor but needs to improve a number of things before he can be that guy.
Zach Wilson is the Blake Bortles/Trubiski of the draft, that guy who no one talks about until right before the combine and raises up out of nowhere.

I think all of that was fairly accurate.

Buckles under pressure? Trevor consistently stands tall in the pocket knowing the rush is coming every play. He doesn't curl into a ball like gabbert or begin a twist and shout routine like bortles.

(11-16-2021, 09:29 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 08:54 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: WR is our biggest need.

What happened to your "It doesn't matter who is playing offense, WR, OL, TE etc as long as we have Trevor, all you need is a great QB and we already have it"? according to you Trevor would already be at Peyton's and Brady's level this year.  Laughing Laughing

Sadly I think that if we had Cullen to go along with Marrone's staff last year we'd have 4 wins already this year. Marrone needed Lawrence and Cullen and didn't have them, Meyer has them and has no idea how to use 'em.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-16-2021, 11:14 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(11-15-2021, 11:26 AM)Upper Wrote: You don't think starting 4 out of our 5 first half drives (not counting the one we got with 36 seconds left in the half) with a run isn't trying to establish the run?

The passing game must improve for the running game to get better.

(11-16-2021, 02:35 PM)OzJohnnie Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 11:14 AM)Mikey Wrote: Running on first down isn't attempting to establish the run. Here's our first 6 drives:

Still the same bad take it was months ago.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2021, 09:43 PM by jaguarmvp.)

Lageman also agrees with me.  Check out this video.

https://youtu.be/TXgVTXbwCJw

(11-16-2021, 12:38 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 09:29 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: What happened to your "It doesn't matter who is playing offense, WR, OL, TE etc as long as we have Trevor, all you need is a great QB and we already have it"? according to you Trevor would already be at Peyton's and Brady's level this year.  Laughing Laughing

Sadly I think that if we had Cullen to go along with Marrone's staff last year we'd have 4 wins already this year. Marrone needed Lawrence and Cullen and didn't have them, Meyer has them and has no idea how to use 'em.

I could imagine the crybabies on this board if we kept Marrone.  This team would probably be 1 or 2 wins better right now but the crying on why he retained him would be endless.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(11-16-2021, 09:41 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Lageman also agrees with me.  Check out this video.

(11-16-2021, 12:38 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Sadly I think that if we had Cullen to go along with Marrone's staff last year we'd have 4 wins already this year. Marrone needed Lawrence and Cullen and didn't have them, Meyer has them and has no idea how to use 'em.

I could imagine the crybabies on this board if we kept Marrone.  This team would probably be 1 or 2 wins better right now but the crying on why he retained him would be endless.

It's a 2 hour program. Please quote something Lageman says where he "agrees" with you. Then tell us where that occurs in the video. 

Thanks.

(11-16-2021, 02:35 PM)OzJohnnie Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 11:14 AM)Mikey Wrote: Running on first down isn't attempting to establish the run. Here's our first 6 drives:

The running game has always been great. It doesn't need to get better. They just don't run it enough. 

Such a horrible [BLEEP] take, man. Let it die.

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2021, 11:08 PM by jaguarmvp. Edited 1 time in total.)

(11-16-2021, 10:37 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 09:41 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Lageman also agrees with me.  Check out this video.

It's a 2 hour program. Please quote something Lageman says where he "agrees" with you. Then tell us where that occurs in the video. 

Thanks.

(11-16-2021, 02:35 PM)OzJohnnie Wrote: The passing game must improve for the running game to get better.

The running game has always been great. It doesn't need to get better. They just don't run it enough. 

Around 20 mins into the video. Talks about Lawrence struggling. People want to put the blame on everything but Lawrence but the truth is he is part of the problem.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(This post was last modified: 11-16-2021, 11:11 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

(11-16-2021, 12:38 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 09:29 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: What happened to your "It doesn't matter who is playing offense, WR, OL, TE etc as long as we have Trevor, all you need is a great QB and we already have it"? according to you Trevor would already be at Peyton's and Brady's level this year.  Laughing Laughing

Gotta agree 100% with this.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(11-16-2021, 11:04 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 10:37 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: It's a 2 hour program. Please quote something Lageman says where he "agrees" with you. Then tell us where that occurs in the video. 

Thanks.

Around 20 mins into the video. Talks about Lawrence struggling. People want to put the blame on everything but Lawrence but the truth is he is part of the problem.

Lawrence is having traditional rookie growing pains. That this coaching staff can't accommodate those with a better usage of their very good running game and a better game plan is another sign of their ineptitude.

(11-16-2021, 11:04 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 10:37 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: It's a 2 hour program. Please quote something Lageman says where he "agrees" with you. Then tell us where that occurs in the video. 

Thanks.

Struggling?? 
Part of the problem??

You said "worst starting QB in the league."

Where in the video does Lageman say Trevor Lawrence is the worst starting QB in the league?
THAT would be agreeing with you. 

Everyone knows he has struggled at times and is part of the reason the offense is struggling. 
Most of us simply don't think it's the primary reason and expected the rookie to look bad in between showing signs of why he was such a coveted pick. 

You, on the other hand, lose your [BLEEP] every time he has a bad game and start a thread about it.