Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Lawrence Critique (merged)

(06-02-2022, 12:08 AM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Despite the Circle Jerk going on in this thread as I stated previously, last year was last year.  The minute we hired Pederson I was instantly optimistic.  I believe Pederson will get the most out of Lawrence. If you want to continue on with last years narrative you are free to do so but some of you are like old men shaking a stick.  I know it's the off season and your bored but just let it go.
You Pederson nut hugger.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(06-14-2022, 09:01 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/ESPNNFL/status/15367...38LDEeDMsw

Even though he was number 1 it still read like a hit piece to me.

Id rather keep getting the jags disrespected and just sneak up like we did in 2017. I'm ultra overtly optimistic every year about this time. This year I am excited, but I will remain realistic until I see the preseason and more importantly the first 4 weeks of the regular season. That will be the most crucial time.

More analysis that agrees with the "watch the games, not the stats" crowd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Guxa9vRpb68

(06-27-2022, 01:10 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: More analysis that agrees with the "watch the games, not the stats" crowd.

Very encouraging.
Lawrence definitely had some rookie mistakes, but he never looked lost.  And he reduced his mistakes and learned as the year went on.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(06-30-2022, 12:07 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(06-27-2022, 01:10 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: More analysis that agrees with the "watch the games, not the stats" crowd.

Very encouraging.
Lawrence definitely had some rookie mistakes, but he never looked lost.  And he reduced his mistakes and learned as the year went on.

Trevor's biggest problem last year was that as he got better the offense disintegrated around him. It was a big ask for a rookie with poor coaching to carry everything, but that's pretty much what the team was asking near the end of last season. If the team can keep fairly healthy this year he'll be fine.

I hope Doug Peterson takes this phenom to the next level.

(07-05-2022, 09:22 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/SharpClarkeNFL/statu...pzdLVM38bg

Truthbomb strikes.

ChrisJagsBoy and MVP hardest hit.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 07-06-2022, 11:51 AM by cland. Edited 1 time in total.)

"Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in."  

Here is the problem with the watch the games, not the stats argument.  If the 'stats are not accurate and you have to watch the games' is true, then that event must happen somewhat regularly throughout the league to what are considered good QBs... The problem is after researching "good QBs" year to year stat lines, I haven't seen anything that supports that argument.

I looked at Peyton Manning, Patrick Mahomes, Matthew Stafford, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Ryan Tannehill, Joe Burrow, Josh Allen, and Baker Mayfield year to year stats; Yes I included a QB from the Factory of Sadness to preempt the we had a bad coach/team argument.  I haven't found a case during their careers, where there was one outlying (and qualified) year in which their stats "lied" in terms of TDs/INTs.  (ie. Ryan Tannehill never had a post-rookie year where he threw more INTs than TDs.)

What IS the case, is that some of them had a bad rookie year.  Some through more INTs than TDs in their rookie year.  Some had a QB rating that was subpar.  The good QBs improved in their 2nd year and beyond.  The bad QBs did not consistently improve.

Trevor Lawrence had a bad year whether you looked at his stats, watched him play, or both.  He wasn't the first QB with bad coaching or receivers who dropped the ball.  He will certainly get another year to improve with what is surely to be better coaching and an upgraded receiver core.  But there is nothing in his first year stats or tape to guarantee he will be a top ten QB.  There's also nothing that guarantees that he won't.

(07-06-2022, 11:50 AM)cland Wrote: "Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in."  

Here is the problem with the watch the games, not the stats argument.  If the 'stats are not accurate and you have to watch the games' is true, then that event must happen somewhat regularly throughout the league to what are considered good QBs... The problem is after researching "good QBs" year to year stat lines, I haven't seen anything that supports that argument.

I looked at Peyton Manning, Patrick Mahomes, Matthew Stafford, Aaron Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Ryan Tannehill, Joe Burrow, Josh Allen, and Baker Mayfield year to year stats; Yes I included a QB from the Factory of Sadness to preempt the we had a bad coach/team argument.  I haven't found a case during their careers, where there was one outlying (and qualified) year in which their stats "lied" in terms of TDs/INTs.  (ie. Ryan Tannehill never had a post-rookie year where he threw more INTs than TDs.)

What IS the case, is that some of them had a bad rookie year.  Some through more INTs than TDs in their rookie year.  Some had a QB rating that was subpar.  The good QBs improved in their 2nd year and beyond.  The bad QBs did not consistently improve.

Trevor Lawrence had a bad year whether you looked at his stats, watched him play, or both.  He wasn't the first QB with bad coaching or receivers who dropped the ball.  He will certainly get another year to improve with what is surely to be better coaching and an upgraded receiver core.  But there is nothing in his first year stats or tape to guarantee he will be a top ten QB.  There's also nothing that guarantees that he won't.

He had a bad year. The question is "how much of that was on him?" 

His percentage of bad play vs good play vs doing the best he could in a crap situation clearly indicate he should do much better in a better situation. 

There are some who can't see it that way. I get it. I simply question what they've analyzed and their ability to analyze it. 
He showed some rare talents in his rookie year that - if developed by a competent staff - will pay dividends in that stat line over the coming seasons. And that much appears obvious to me.

Nothing wrong with keeping expectations low, but I think you guys will be impressed this year.

(This post was last modified: 07-10-2022, 05:05 PM by ChrisJagBoy. Edited 2 times in total.)

(07-05-2022, 10:38 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(07-05-2022, 09:22 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/SharpClarkeNFL/statu...pzdLVM38bg

Truthbomb strikes.

Yeah ight, we'll see in a few months.

My arguments against Lawrence play on this board is meaningless. You have all looked at horrible play and basically said he was good, so if he even shows minor improvement you guys will be comparing him to Brady by october.

(07-10-2022, 04:58 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(07-05-2022, 10:38 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Truthbomb strikes.

My arguments against Lawrence play on this board is meaningless. You have all looked at horrible play and basically said he was good, so if he even shows minor improvement you guys will be comparing him to Brady by october.

Lawrence could literally take a dump on the field and some of the homers here would call it a great play.   I believe he will be much better under pederson.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

The two ‘voices of reason’.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Lol, 'ron's gonna Ron.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 07-11-2022, 08:51 AM by Mikey.)

(07-10-2022, 04:58 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote:
(07-05-2022, 10:38 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Truthbomb strikes.

see, here's the difference. We looked at his play and SAW the good even though it was interspersed with some bad. That gives us hope that we didn't end up with the next Blaine Gabbert. The way you dump on / expect the worst out of TLaw makes me wonder if you saw any Jaguar gameplay prior to Minshew's brief run.

The difference is the perspective - you see glimpses of good peeking out through the bad, and attribute the bad nearly exclusively to his own limitations. Most everyone else here recognizes that there is bad, but that the good we did get to see gives us hope that we've got something better than the recent string of flops we've had under center, and that circumstance played a whole heckuva lot into the performance (or lack thereof) we saw on the field.

If anyone is comparing him to Brady in three months' time, I think we'll all be dismissing that analogy, but good luck with that prediction, too.

(07-10-2022, 08:19 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(07-10-2022, 04:58 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Yeah ight, we'll see in a few months.

Lawrence could literally take a dump on the field and some of the homers here would call it a great play.   I believe he will be much better under pederson.

If Jeff Fisher or the corpse of Art Modell just happened to be on that very spot of the field at that moment, I'd be calling for a bronze statue commemorating the event. I guess I'm just a blind homer, though.

I have a feeling Lawrence will light it up this year. Offense minded coach.