Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
A Tack Decline?

Considering how they have thoroughly dominated us over the years, this will seem a lot like whistling past the graveyard or wishful thinking saying this.

But I could see the tacks taking a major step back offensively this year.

First off, they could easily lose WR AJ Brown.  Things have purportedly grown nasty between Brown and the front office, and the contract negotiations are at a stalemate.    If he's gone this year, and Julio Jones continues his decline, the tacks's WRs may not be much of a threat. 

On top of this, QB has been problematic for them.  While Tannehill has been a good fit in that run first attack, I still don't believe he has the full confidence of the tacks or their fanbase.  That 3 INT performance at home against the Bengals didn't help matters at all.  Plus, he will be 34 this year.  The laws of football physics are bound to catch up to him sooner or later  because of this, some observers have theorized the tacks could go QB in the first round of the draft this year, which may stop them from addressing another area of need on the team.  Of course, if they trade brown, they will most likely get a first round pick for him this year.  But it'd likely be at the bottom of the first round (unless you are the Jets), because you can have a rookie WR on a 5 year contract cheap).  At th bottom of the first round, they will likely miss out on most of the stud Ts and the top tier of WRs.  Keep in mind, their tackles were a train wreck last year.  Without Henry last year, they could not pass protect worth anything.

Speaking of Derrick Henry, rpr predicted Henry would start to decline last year.  For the first time, he missed significant time due to injury.  Was it the start of an overall decline or was last year an aberration?  We shall see, but even assuming it wasn't, without the quality WR play and the quality OL play, it'll be harder for him to dominate as he has done throughout his career.

The tacks are still a very good team and are exceptionally well coached.  But I could see a scenario where they aren't quite as good because they lost brown, missed on the T out of Georgia a few years back, Taylor Lewan has fallen off, and Tannehill will be less able to hurt opposing defenses than he was last year.  The dropoff could be dramatic if Derrick henry is not as durable as he has been.

To be honest, I hope I am right and this is the beginning of the end for those bastidges!

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 04-24-2022, 08:33 PM by rpr52121.)

(04-24-2022, 08:28 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Considering how they have thoroughly dominated us over the years, this will seem a lot like whistling past the graveyard or wishful thinking saying this.

First off, they could easily lose WR AJ Brown.  Things have purportedly grown nasty between Brown and the front office, and the contract negotiations are at a stalemate.    If he's gone this year, and Julio Jones continues his decline, the tacks's WRs may not be much of a threat. 

On top of this, QB has been problematic for them.  While Tannehill has been a good fit in that run first attack, I still don't believe he has the full confidence of the tacks or their fanbase.  That 3 INT performance at home against the Bengals didn't help matters at all.  Plus, he will be 34 this year.  The laws of football physics are bound to catch up to him sooner or later  because of this, some observers have theorized the tacks could go QB in the first round of the draft this year, which may stop them from addressing another area of need on the team.  Of course, if they trade brown, they will most likely get a first round pick for him this year.  But it'd likely be at the bottom of the first round (unless you are the Jets), because you can have a rookie WR on a 5 year contract cheap).  At th bottom of the first round, they will likely miss out on most of the stud Ts and the top tier of WRs.  Keep in mind, their tackles were a train wreck last year.  Without Henry last year, they could not pass protect worth anything.

Speaking of Derrick Henry, rpr predicted Henry would start to decline last year.  For the first time, he missed significant time due to injury.  Was it the start of an overall decline or was last year an aberration?  We shall see, but even assuming it wasn't, without the quality WR play and the quality OL play, it'll be harder for him to dominate as he has done throughout his career.

The tacks are still a very good team and are exceptionally well coached.  But I could see a scenario where they aren't quite as good because they lost brown, missed on the T out of Georgia a few years back, Taylor Lewan has fallen off, and Tannehill will be less able to hurt opposing defenses than he was last year.  The dropoff could be dramatic if Derrick henry is not as durable as he has been.

To be honest, I hope I am right and this is the beginning of the end for those bastidges!

Lol. I mean everything I thought would go wrong for the Titans with health happened and they still got the No. 1 seed. If they weren't so ingrained to giving Henry touches when he returned in the playoffs, they also probably beat Cinci. 

I will have to stop underestimating Vrabel and their staff to field a smart competitive team, esp on defense. At this point, I still have them as the favorite to win the division until another South team goes and takes it from them.

(04-24-2022, 08:33 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(04-24-2022, 08:28 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Considering how they have thoroughly dominated us over the years, this will seem a lot like whistling past the graveyard or wishful thinking saying this.

Lol. I mean everything I thought would go wrong for the Titans with health happened and they still got the No. 1 seed. If they weren't so ingrained to giving Henry touches when he returned in the playoffs, they also probably beat Cinci. 

I will have to stop underestimating Vrabel and their staff to field a smart competitive team, esp on defense.  At this point, I still have them as the favorite to win the division until another South team goes and takes it from them.
I wasn't prepared to call Henry's decline last year, but you were.  I still don't know if he is officially in decline yet, but again, kudos to you for accurately going out on that limb. I did not anticipate the tackle play falling off so much for them.

However, I had the sense that in Henry's absence, the team got in a rhythm without him, and I figured bringing him back in, the team could be out of synch offensively.  I would be remiss if I did not give the Bengals credit for playing well.  They played damn good defense throughout the playoffs.  But I have to think the tacks being out of synch played a role in that.  I think had henry been in the lineup all along, that might have been a different outcome.

Been waiting 22 years to see this. Hope it comes to fruition.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Not the only one thinking this...

https://youtu.be/jx77Z5CktHI

Personally, I don't see any way they lose A.J. Brown. He's their entire passing game. If they let him go, they deserve to be really bad. What they need to do is find a quality #2 and #3 receiver and a TE to compliment him. 

I know it appears as though Tannehill has struggled, but he basically only has one receiver to throw to (Brown.) Henry was out most of last season, so the running game struggled and Tannehill's O-Line looked like garbage. I keep hearing that the Titans might take a QB in this draft, but what they need to do is upgrade the O-Line and find Tannehill some receiving options at WR and TE. The Julio Jones trade really set them back. That was a good lesson though. Never give up that much for an injury prone WR with nothing left in the tank. 

I hope they do continue to decline. The division should be wide open this year, if they falter. Houston is still Houston and I'm not sold on Matt Ryan as an effective QB for the Colts. The last few games I watched him play, he was awful. He reminded me of Phillip Rivers at the tail end of his career. 

If we can come out of this draft with a dominant edge rusher, a #1 receiver who can stretch the field on a consistent basis and a franchise Center, I believe we might have a shot at being decent in 2022.

(04-25-2022, 09:36 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Personally, I don't see any way they lose A.J. Brown. He's their entire passing game. If they let him go, they deserve to be really bad. What they need to do is find a quality #2 and #3 receiver and a TE to compliment him. 

I know it appears as though Tannehill has struggled, but he basically only has one receiver to throw to (Brown.) Henry was out most of last season, so the running game struggled and Tannehill's O-Line looked like garbage. I keep hearing that the Titans might take a QB in this draft, but what they need to do is upgrade the O-Line and find Tannehill some receiving options at WR and TE. The Julio Jones trade really set them back. That was a good lesson though. Never give up that much for an injury prone WR with nothing left in the tank. 

I hope they do continue to decline. The division should be wide open this year, if they falter. Houston is still Houston and I'm not sold on Matt Ryan as an effective QB for the Colts. The last few games I watched him play, he was awful. He reminded me of Phillip Rivers at the tail end of his career. 

If we can come out of this draft with a dominant edge rusher, a #1 receiver who can stretch the field on a consistent basis and a franchise Center, I believe we might have a shot at being decent in 2022.

I’m wondering why you think center is a bigger need than guard?  I’m hoping to get a left guard. Shatley  is a better center than Bartch is a guard, yes?
[Image: giphy.gif]

(04-25-2022, 02:25 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: I’m wondering why you think center is a bigger need than guard?  I’m hoping to get a left guard. Shatley  is a better center than Bartch is a guard, yes?

I'd venture that Bartch is younger and may have more potential. I think Shatley is who he is at this stage. Personally, I'd like to come away with either one player who can play both LG or C or get one of each to compete for the roster spots.

(04-25-2022, 02:25 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(04-25-2022, 09:36 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Personally, I don't see any way they lose A.J. Brown. He's their entire passing game. If they let him go, they deserve to be really bad. What they need to do is find a quality #2 and #3 receiver and a TE to compliment him. 

I’m wondering why you think center is a bigger need than guard?  I’m hoping to get a left guard. Shatley  is a better center than Bartch is a guard, yes?

If Pederson's comments carry any weight - they seem to be targeting a player that can play both Center and Guard. 

Where Bartch, Shatley and the draft pick end up on the depth chart will sort itself out in camp. 

I don't like the idea of Shatley not having competition at C for the starting role, and I feel the same about Bartch, so I like this potential approach.

(04-25-2022, 06:24 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(04-25-2022, 02:25 PM)I am Yoda Wrote: I’m wondering why you think center is a bigger need than guard?  I’m hoping to get a left guard. Shatley  is a better center than Bartch is a guard, yes?

If Pederson's comments carry any weight - they seem to be targeting a player that can play both Center and Guard. 

Where Bartch, Shatley and the draft pick end up on the depth chart will sort itself out in camp. 

I don't like the idea of Shatley not having competition at C for the starting role, and I feel the same about Bartch, so I like this potential approach.

Even if Shatley is the starter the team still needs quality backups, which is what Shatley used to be.

As for the wider topic about the tacks declining, I'd say it's without a doubt something that will happen, they've leaned WAY too hard on Henry, and foot injuries are tough to overcome for running backs. Much the way I expect Etienne to never be the guy some people here thought he could be I expect Henry will probably not be the same guy he was for the last few years. Instead of getting big runs late in games when the defense wears down, it'll be his sore foot that will wear down as the games and season go on.

(04-25-2022, 07:54 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(04-25-2022, 06:24 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: If Pederson's comments carry any weight - they seem to be targeting a player that can play both Center and Guard. 

Even if Shatley is the starter the team still needs quality backups, which is what Shatley used to be.

As for the wider topic about the tacks declining, I'd say it's without a doubt something that will happen, they've leaned WAY too hard on Henry, and foot injuries are tough to overcome for running backs. Much the way I expect Etienne to never be the guy some people here thought he could be I expect Henry will probably not be the same guy he was for the last few years. Instead of getting big runs late in games when the defense wears down, it'll be his sore foot that will wear down as the games and season go on.

I just had a minor knee scope to clean up some cartilage damage. My knee will never be the same. After much consideration, I decided to end my track and field aspirations. Henry is probably half my age, but I can't imagine foot injuries not affecting speed, planting power, etc. 

I'd want to conduct some analytics to determine the most injured and missed time positions. I'm thinking running back is number one.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(04-25-2022, 06:24 PM)NYC4jags Wrote:

To m, that screams Zion Johnson, though I see a small chance he lasts until 33.

That said, I'd love a first couple of picks of Neal/Ekwonu and Z Johnson.

(This post was last modified: 04-26-2022, 07:25 PM by I am Yoda. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-26-2022, 04:32 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(04-25-2022, 06:24 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: If Pederson's comments carry any weight - they seem to be targeting a player that can play both Center and Guard. 

To m, that screams Zion Johnson, though I see a small chance he lasts until 33.

That would be an O-line!  And if you believe what Doug talked about making one group on your team very good, that would follow.  It's still an even chance they do that with the D-line which is actually closer to being really good based on free agency and what we already had.  #1  Walker/Hutch  #33 Mafe/Ebekeite.  Then follow that up at #65 with Jurgens or Strange. The more I think of the different possibilities in the draft, the more excited I get.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(04-26-2022, 07:20 PM)I am Yoda Wrote:
(04-26-2022, 04:32 PM)Bullseye Wrote: To m, that screams Zion Johnson, though I see a small chance he lasts until 33.

That would be an O-line!  And if you believe what Doug talked about making one group on your team very good, that would follow.  It's still an even chance they do that with the D-line which is actually closer to being really good based on free agency and what we already had.  #1  Walker/Hutch  #33 Mafe/Ebekeite.  Then follow that up at #65 with Jurgens or Strange.  The more I think of the different possibilities in the draft, the more excited I get.
The draft is full of possibilities.

Let's just hope the Jaguars hit on all the good possibilities.

(04-24-2022, 11:12 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Been waiting 22 years to see this.  Hope it comes to fruition.

You and me both.

(04-28-2022, 12:14 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote:
(04-24-2022, 11:12 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: Been waiting 22 years to see this.  Hope it comes to fruition.

You and me both.

They have had their down periods.  The problem is they have drafted well enough and were coached well enough to minimize those down periods, while we were so persistently inept we couldn't fully exploit those down periods.

With that last trade down with the Jets, they were able to pick up a ecent amount of ammunition to restock their team.  Hopefully the depth at their positions of need abandons them and they botch these picks.

At this point, I'm not sure they can find a stud tackle.  They may draft a QB though, which, at least for the short term, could slow their restocking.

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2022, 02:20 AM by Jag88.)

I hope the titans are taking a step back. Jags can step up and then its jags and colts. It's way too early though. The jags have to earn it. We cant even beat the texans yet. Let us hope this is the time

Well, Brown and Julio are gone.

(04-29-2022, 08:59 AM)SamusAranX Wrote: Well, Brown and Julio are gone.

Next man up.  When you have a QB like Tannehill, you can just reload on WRs.  The Pats did it with Brady so I think this is Vrabel's philosophy.  Once Tannehill finds his right combo, he's going to be deadly.  I would not hesitate to lock him up to a 10 year $500 million contract to secure future success in Nashville.

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2022, 06:00 PM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

(04-29-2022, 12:34 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(04-29-2022, 08:59 AM)SamusAranX Wrote: Well, Brown and Julio are gone.

Next man up.  When you have a QB like Tannehill, you can just reload on WRs.  The Pats did it with Brady so I think this is Vrabel's philosophy.  Once Tannehill finds his right combo, he's going to be deadly.  I would not hesitate to lock him up to a 10 year $500 million contract to secure future success in Nashville.

I say do it. Then we can say, "Now your failure is complete".
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption