Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Elon Musk now owns Twitter

(11-05-2022, 05:21 AM)Ronster Wrote:
I don’t think I’ve ever seen Twitter so alive and robust, it is popping off of over there. The left is losing it and it’s glorious. It’s interesting for sure..

Oh, and I’m growing like crazy

https://Twitter.com/HyenaKiller69

They're called bots, Ron.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2022, 10:18 AM by Ronster. Edited 1 time in total.)

(11-05-2022, 08:31 AM)mikesez Wrote:
I don’t think I’ve ever seen Twitter so alive and robust, it is popping off of over there. The left is losing it and it’s glorious. It’s interesting for sure..

They're called bots, Ron.

No Mike, they are not..... maybe on your account. lol, in fact. So many people are pissed because they are losing "thousands of followers, BOTS" because of what they are doing over there... but nice try being ugly
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

https://twitter.com/WSBChairman/status/1...TtBDw&s=19

Pretty interesting.. Elon even acknowledged it.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Twitter manager vomited into trash can after being told by Elon Musk to fire people: Report
The New York Times devoted eight reporters and almost 2,600 words to investigating Musk's first few weeks at Twitter

The New York Times on Friday devoted eight reporters and 2,598 words to investigating Elon Musk’s first few weeks after buying Twitter. The big takeaway? Twice, the paper told readers that the billionaire’s moves resulted in vomit.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/twitter-ma...ple-report
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

(11-05-2022, 10:27 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: https://twitter.com/WSBChairman/status/1...TtBDw&s=19

Pretty interesting.. Elon even acknowledged it.

The old process was twitter approaching the user and saying "you appear to be someone notable.  Can you prove you are who you say you are?" They would then send you postcards, call your neighbors, and your employer, and otherwise make sure everything looked legit.  This wasn't automated.  But they would do this for free.  

The frustrating part of the old process is there were people who wanted the blue check, who wanted to be notable, but Twitter just said no.  These people were willing to pay to become notable, and maybe some did, under the table.  But even so, Twitter still verified their identity.

The new process isn't even a process though.  It's not "anyone can sign up for identity verification," it's, "anyone can pay us $8 and no one gets identity verification anymore."

So, everyone gets a Twitter trophy.

Apparently, since Musk took over, advertisers have been leaving and Twitter has been losing money.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/11/tech/twit...index.html

(This post was last modified: 11-13-2022, 08:02 AM by The Real Marty. Edited 1 time in total.)

So alive and robust?  The whole thing is apparently about to go under.  Musk is tweeting about possible bankruptcy.  It has nothing to do with left and right.  It's about how to run a company.

(11-13-2022, 08:00 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

So alive and robust?  The whole thing is apparently about to go under.  Musk is tweeting about possible bankruptcy.  It has nothing to do with left and right.  It's about how to run a company.

Twitter will be okay. It’s financial and FTC woes started before Musk bought it. Twitter was losing $4 million a month and even founder Jack Dorsey apologized for saying he grew the company too fast. Meanwhile, user numbers have gone up. Advertisers who have paused their accounts can’t ignore that for long. 

Musk will figure it out.

(This post was last modified: 11-13-2022, 08:49 AM by Cleatwood. Edited 1 time in total.)

(11-13-2022, 08:30 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(11-13-2022, 08:00 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: So alive and robust?  The whole thing is apparently about to go under.  Musk is tweeting about possible bankruptcy.  It has nothing to do with left and right.  It's about how to run a company.

Twitter will be okay. It’s financial and FTC woes started before Musk bought it. Twitter was losing $4 million a month and even founder Jack Dorsey apologized for saying he grew the company too fast. Meanwhile, user numbers have gone up. Advertisers who have paused their accounts can’t ignore that for long. 

Musk will figure it out.
Users have gone up because people are able to make parody accounts and get them verified.

Companies are losing millions because of it already.

I do think Twitter will be fine (maybe) but Elon couldn’t have had a worse start to his Twitter ownership career. 

https://twitter.com/traauunt/status/1591...OBAB0tEGng

(11-13-2022, 08:41 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(11-13-2022, 08:30 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Twitter will be okay. It’s financial and FTC woes started before Musk bought it. Twitter was losing $4 million a month and even founder Jack Dorsey apologized for saying he grew the company too fast. Meanwhile, user numbers have gone up. Advertisers who have paused their accounts can’t ignore that for long. 

Musk will figure it out.
Users have gone up because people are able to make parody accounts and get them verified.

Companies are losing millions because of it already.

I do think Twitter will be fine (maybe) but Elon couldn’t have had a worse start to his Twitter ownership career. 

https://twitter.com/traauunt/status/1591...OBAB0tEGng

But what percentage of those users are parody accounts? 

Regardless, it’s obvious Musk didn’t do enough homework before he waded in. He’s even said he’ll do a lot of dumb things before getting it right. I’m sure he doesn’t want to see Twitter fail, but if it does, life goes on for him.

(This post was last modified: 11-13-2022, 01:34 PM by mikesez. Edited 2 times in total.)

Elon musk has successfully coordinated the efforts of thousands of people who just want to build the best electric cars and rockets possible.

That is more than any of us have done.

But this was not adequate preparation for him to become moderator of a site with millions of people who mostly want to fight, lie, cheat, and steal.

Once geocities became a thing, it was obvious that the technology would develop, and eventually a critical mass of people would be ready to adopt it, and there would be a site like myspace or Facebook where we could all just share our thoughts and photos. Facebook's place seems secure even if it is unlikely to grow from here. But people don't want to get their news or politics from there.

Today it is obvious that some people are willing to pay for news, commentary, and the opportunity to comment on what they see and read. Today that is a hodgepodge of legacy media and very disconnected. Twitter was an (unintentional) attempt to integrate that impulse. It may yet consolidate into something sustainable and profitable. Or not. But the niche is there. Someone will fill it. Check out what substack is doing.

(11-13-2022, 10:52 AM)mikesez Wrote: Elon musk has successfully coordinated the efforts of  thousands of people who just want to build the best electric cars in rockets possible.

But this was not adequate preparation for him to become moderator of a site with millions of people who mostly want to fight, lie, cheat, and steal.

Once geocities became a thing, it was obvious that the technology would develop,  and eventually a critical mass of people would be ready to adopt it,  and there would be a site like myspace or Facebook where we could all just share our thoughts and photos. Facebook's place seems secure even if it is unlikely to grow from here. But people don't want to get their news or politics from there.

Today it is obvious that some people are willing to pay for news, commentary, and the opportunity to comment on what they see and read.    Today that is a hodgepodge of legacy media and very disconnected.  Twitter was an (unintentional) attempt to integrate that impulse.  It may yet consolidate into something sustainable and profitable.  Or not.  But the niche is there.  Someone will fill it.  Check out what substack is doing.

The problem with that is people will only pay for commentary which echoes their own beliefs. The advantage of open forums, like Twitter, is exposure to commentary which challenges a person's worldview.

A List of the Celebrities Elon Musk Has Scared Off Twitter

Emotional leftists are running for the hills after billionaire Elon Musk took over the social media giant Twitter and vowed to restore free speech for Americans.

A number of left-wing Hollywood celebrities have announced their plan to leave the social media platform.

https://www.analyzingamerica.org/2022/11...-lfJJKBhwE
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

The same folks probably swore to leave America when Trump was elected in 2016.

(11-13-2022, 11:26 AM)The Drifter Wrote: A List of the Celebrities Elon Musk Has Scared Off Twitter

Emotional leftists are running for the hills after billionaire Elon Musk took over the social media giant Twitter and vowed to restore free speech for Americans.

A number of left-wing Hollywood celebrities have announced their plan to leave the social media platform.

https://www.analyzingamerica.org/2022/11...-lfJJKBhwE

“Scared off”… I just got a retina cramp from rolling my eyes so hard.
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

(11-13-2022, 11:07 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(11-13-2022, 10:52 AM)mikesez Wrote: Elon musk has successfully coordinated the efforts of  thousands of people who just want to build the best electric cars in rockets possible.

Once geocities became a thing, it was obvious that the technology would develop,  and eventually a critical mass of people would be ready to adopt it,  and there would be a site like myspace or Facebook where we could all just share our thoughts and photos. Facebook's place seems secure even if it is unlikely to grow from here. But people don't want to get their news or politics from there.

Today it is obvious that some people are willing to pay for news, commentary, and the opportunity to comment on what they see and read.    Today that is a hodgepodge of legacy media and very disconnected.  Twitter was an (unintentional) attempt to integrate that impulse.  It may yet consolidate into something sustainable and profitable.  Or not.  But the niche is there.  Someone will fill it.  Check out what substack is doing.

The problem with that is people will only pay for commentary which echoes their own beliefs. The advantage of open forums, like Twitter, is exposure to commentary which challenges a person's worldview.

I think that can change.  If there is a "news content payment" platform that lets you subscribe, but only feel like you're paying for what you read, or lets you leave a verified and meaningful "I agree" or "I don't agree" on some of the commentary you read, without letting that feedback turn into trolling and flaming, good things could start to happen.  It will never be automated.  A human touch will always be needed.  But I think people are still hungry for something like that.

The 71-year-old actress Elvira is saying goodbye to Twitter.
“I’m leaving Twitter until they decide to reinstate their Human Rights and Ethics teams. You can’t promote Hate speech and call it Free Speech. Until then…Unpleasant Dreemz.”

Good lord…I don’t really do Twitter much, but has actual “hate speech” really ramped up under Musk, or are they just mad that opposing opinions are now allowed?
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???